Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Palpek posted:

They could have called it Dead Space and it would have as much in common with that franchise as it has with Prey 2006.

Funnily enough I played the demo a lot like I played Dead Space 1 and 2. Just instead of obsessively stomping on corpses I'm obsessively hitting inanimate objects with a wrench.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Mzbundifund posted:

Basically a lot of the times he (or she) got his memories reset, Morgan developed suspicions that his brother would take steps to keep him locked in the simulation forever. In order to prevent that, Morgan built a secret operator to guide himself to freedom, and remind himself of what he wanted his future amnesiac self to do. That's what January is.

There were two problems though, the first is that each time his memories got reset, he forgot that he had already built a secret operator, so he ended up building another one. This is why you see emails in the hardware section talking about how Morgan keeps requisitioning more operator parts and nobody knows why. He keeps building new operators. The second problem is each time he got his memories reset, his personality was somewhat randomized as well, so the instructions he gave to the operator he built were also different. This is why December is telling you to escape the station, while January is telling you to destroy it.

So basically October was another such operator. Exactly what instructions Morgan gave to October is unknown, because for some unknown reason October doesn't exist anymore. Maybe it was never activated or completed, maybe it was discovered and destroyed by Alex, but it was just another January / December style message from Past Morgan attempting to circumvent his memory loss from the sim tests.

October is in Morgan's suite hooked up to the workstation there.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Do we really need to spoiler evacuation discussion? It's like 3 whole text files, a mention in an audio log and some lore in a loading screen.

That said I did get the impression that it's the recycler tech running rampant. What I'm confused about is how the response seemed to involve attacking it with weaponry, how does that help with a deconstruction field running rampant?

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Gadzuko posted:

I'm not going to spoiler since it's all speculation anyway. The weapons use confuses me too, but the third book flat out says it was a science experiment gone wrong. Maybe a rogue AI deconstructing things? The army just being dumb and dropping bombs on gray goo?

Come to think of it, that setting would make for a good DLC.

It might be that recycler machines are 'new' and previously it was done through operators or something.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

n4 posted:

I was trying to 100% the game in my latest playthrough but I went Typhon powers only and it looks like it's not possible. There's quite a few computers I haven't been able to access and corpses that I needed repair to get to. I'm hoping new game plus is released soon so I can cheese another playthrough.

Question though: what's the deal with key pads that have all Xs instead of numbers? Is there anyway to get into these? I think hacking still works but it doesn't look like you can use the key code anymore.

It's definitely not possible. One of the side quests requires repair to get to a broken satellite.

edit: And before I forget again

Mimir posted:

Okay I'm done, I've gotta return this Redbox, and I have a few questions . These might've been explained but if so I totally missed it.

- The shuttle leaving the station mentioned seeing both a military vessel (the security guy) and a "large black unidentified object" IIRC - what was that about?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

That's interesting about the unidentified object. Maybe someone else will know.

Cicadalek posted:

Oh and someone was asking about easter eggs on the moon. I definitely saw at one point a grid of lights on the dark side, like there was a big formation of structures. There is also a log somewhere from a shuttle pilot that mentions seeing a mysterious structure, but I don't know if that's meant to be on the moon or some secret listening post in space.

Pretty sure that's the Argus station where Dahl comes from.

Luminaflare fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

GlyphGryph posted:

Oh no, it was full of people. There were details on one of the computers. They'd just been running a supply mission and were happily returning to earth, they left about half an hour before the outbreak was noticed so there might not have been any mimics on board.

If you pay close attention to emails and audio logs you'll notice that mimic have been around on the station for quite a bit longer than people noticed.

Captain Gordon posted:

Well, gently caress

Another question: What was the deal with the Middle East evacuation?

Don't really need to spoiler that, it's only sort of vaguely hinted at in loading screen tips, one audio log and some book excerpts you can find. Essentially the recycler tech ran rampant and now it's only allowed in space.

Personally my theory is that something akin to the operators were being used in conjunction with the recycler tech to clean the streets and started seeing everything as something that needs recycling. Or something like that any ways, I don't see why there'd be mentions of shooting and bombing otherwise.