Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Arkane is yet to make a game that isn't amazing. I wonder if Prey is going to be an exception or not.

Normally I would only be worried about optimization of the PC version, considering that Dishonored 2 was the worst optimized game I've ever played, but I upgraded my PC recently so that shouldn't be an issue.

I do wonder though if maybe Prey is being made by their "B-Team" that might not be as good as their "A-Team" that made all the good stuff.
That's my only concern. Otherwise I would've pre-ordered it right away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I haven't played the Demo, since it's not on PC but let me get this straight.

You can pickup all the random garbage to make crafting materials out of it. The main enemy type can hide as any random garbage to spook you.
Is that right? I might have to buy myself a pair of brown pants to wear while playing this.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Haruhater posted:

So just a heads up: if you check out the thread on NeoGAF about this demo you will learn quite a number of things:
-You will understand why every single FPS game these days plays the same
-You will understand the audience for modern FPS games
-You will understand why Bioshock was so dumbed down after System Shock 2
-You will understand why Bioshock Infinite became what it was
-You will understand just how big of a percentage of modern gamers even comprehend what a horror game is supposed to play like
-And finally you will understand the audience reception that this game is going up against.

To be fair NeoGaf is heavily HEAVILY moderated and you can easily get IP banned if you disagree with a mod about anything at all so I don't think that people who are primarily posting there are the "average gamers".

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The biggest thing Bethesda could learn from Arkane is how to make good level design that isn't some variation on "a bunch of dudes in an empty corridor" or "a bunch of dudes in an open field".

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mordja posted:

I hope they release a PC demo afterwards at least.

I would bet that a pc demo will come out at some point. Although I wouldn't be surprised if it takes several months until they decide to release it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm still not sure if I want to get this one or not. On one hand there haven't been an Arkane game that wasn't amazing but on the other hand I'm a massive pussy and this whole "we'll punish you with jumpscares for your OCD" mechanic will probably give me a heart attack eventually.

GET MY BELT SON posted:

Gunplay was a little too wonky for me. Ended up wasting far more ammo than i should have. Think i'm gonna hold off on this one.

I heard that the console version doesn't have autoaim. I imagine that the issue.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://www.ausgamers.com/news/read/3574291/preys-raph-colantonio-says-steams-2-hour-refund-policy-stands-in-place-of-demo

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

MinibarMatchman posted:

why can't they just come out and say "it's zenimax's denuvo policy sorry guys" like with every other game the publisher releases

Maybe that's part of the Denuvo contract or something? I wouldn't be surprised.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Incidentally, separate regional release times seem to be a thing with Prey.
So from what I can tell, New Zealand will get their Steam copies unlocked in about 24 hours. So impatient people could VPN it in theory.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Has anyone explained why this game is called prey 2 and not space invader magic shooter game 38295?

It's called Prey and yes, the devs said that they called it that because it sounded good and for no other reason.

Kraftwerk posted:

There's website where you can apparently get the game on steam for like half price. I don't know if it's okay to post or not.

DON'T TOUCH G2A, EVER, EVER.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Palpek posted:

No key resellers are legit

I'm pretty sure that Greenman Gaming is legit. No?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

Zenimax Elder Scrolls Online, made the game?

No, Arkane Studios. Unlike Zenimax/Bethesda, they make good games.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

The first prey was a master piece

Just so you know, this Prey has literally nothing to do with the original. Different devs, different gameplay, different story.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Start warming up your VPNs.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Palpek posted:

Yeah, Bethesda's marketing division is legendarily inept at selling games they publish or even recognizing what those games actually are.

A series known for crazy fast action? Let's take it slow and show you this hell level really carefully and now it's time to focus on non-interactive finisher moves.

A game focused on exploration and giving you a variety of tools for emergant gameplay? Let's show none of that and instead shoot some headcrabs, pew pew pew.

Gooood, if that ain't the truth.

DOOM looked so poo poo in the promo materials while in actuality it was the best shooter in...forever.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Huuuuh...

The game is a tad smaller than I thought it would be.

I know that pre-loads are compressed but still. Dishonored was like twice that size.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

For the reference:

The Good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwAVoaZcN6Y

The Bad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiinO9JPUGw

The Ugly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yYp8ZeQ-I8

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It's good to know it's been fixed now but it also shouldn't have released in that state either.

It hasn't been fixed still.
I waited several months trying to play Dishonored 2 on my GTX 960 back then and it was impossible to squeeze out acceptable performance on any settings.
I had to upgrade to a 1060 specifically to be able to play it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Second Sun posted:

I had near unplayable performance when Deus Ex:MD came out, but Dishonoured 2 was fine at launch and even better after new drivers (on a 1070). The vagaries of PC.

Deus Ex: MD's was actually fixed within two weeks or something, unlike Dishonored 2.
I was at least able to play it on a GTX 960 with reasonable performance after the first big patch.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

2.5 hours left by the looks of it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SoggyGravy posted:

What region is that?

NZ. The earliest of all regions.
Warm up your VPNs.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Blister posted:

Looks like they might've changed NZ release date to avoid people using VPN fuckery or my vpn that was working an hour ago just changed time zones :(

Steam never releases game on time. Wait 30 minutes, it doesn't look like anything changed.

SoggyGravy posted:

What VPN do you use?

F-Secure Freedome

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Out in 'straya and kiwiland.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

GTX 1060; 1080p/Max Settings; Lowest fps I get in the apartment is 85.
It doesn't say a lot but it seems to be at least better than Dishonored 2 in term of performance. I don't think any place in it gave me 85 fps.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mindblast posted:

Here's hoping the performance isn't rear end!

Doesn't seem to be rear end.
Cannot say how well it runs on low-end systems though.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

LE posted:

Repeatedly.

Try FlyVPN.

Close Steam.
Open FlyVPN, Connect to an Oceania server.
Wait until it confirms the connection.
Open Steam.
Decrypt.
Start Game.
Close Game.
Put Steam into Offline Mode (Steam - Go Offline)
Close FlyVPN.
Don't go online with Steam until the game releases in your region.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Huuuuuh...
My game doesn't have any voices. Everyone is a mime. Normal sounds and music works fine though.

Anyone else having that issue?

EDIT: Apparently everyone has that issue. Seems like they messed something up.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 4, 2017

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mindblast posted:

:sigh: seriously curious how something like missing speech was not picked up during testing.

They were literally playing PC version of Prey on stream yesterday with no issues.

I think the problem is not with the game but with Steam distribution. They probably messed something up when it comes to players downloading the correct localization files from Steam.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Qmass posted:

edit: 700mb update just started, lets... PRAY!! that it fixes the dialogue.

God dammit! That means I need a VPN that would let me download 700mb of data (at a snail's pace most likely) or I have to wait for a proper release.
That loving sucks.

EDIT: Nevermind, I could download the patch normally, and then VPN the the Steam client again to get back the access to it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Qmass posted:

Audio fixed, patch successful.

I also confirm that. Seems to work without issues now.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

HOLY poo poo!
The thing you do the second time you wake up in your apartment is so cool visually. It a really neat effect.

Also incidentally, the same effect they used in Dishonored 2 would put an enormous strain on my machine but in Prey the framerate is super stable even on max settings.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dang!
When I went up to climb into the chopper at the start of the game I took the portable lamp with me and dropped in into the helipad. When the chopper arrived to a different building the same lamp was there too in the same place.
At first I thought it was a weird coincidence but alas, it was not.

That's so cool.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Prey is going to give me PTSD, I swear. I'm never going to be able to trust a coffee mug to not try to murder me.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

In the pc version, can FOV be changed?

No.

Digirat posted:

How's performance? Someone post how it runs with their specs please

Jack Trades posted:

GTX 1060; 1080p/Max Settings; Lowest fps I get in the apartment is 85.
It doesn't say a lot but it seems to be at least better than Dishonored 2 in term of performance. I don't think any place in it gave me 85 fps.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The person who was in charge of audio mixing should be feeling really really ashamed of themselves.

Other than that I'm really enjoying the game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Anti-Hero posted:

DH2 had audio mixing issues, too. Never got fixed, either.

I don't remember noticing any audio mixing issues in DH2 and I finished that game 3 times.

Prey's audio mixing is really distracting though. It's insane how loud some of the audio cues are compared to everything else and not even even the jump scare cues either.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

What's the deal with the game raising image contrast every time you fight a mimic? Like every time I get into a fight with a mimic, somehow everything gets darker and results in mimics blending into literally any surface.
Is that a game mechanic or an unfortunate visual effect or what? I cannot see what I'm fighting.

EDIT: Also jesus loving christ, the "objective updated" sound isn't supposed to startle the player more often that god drat enemies. Why is it so freaking loud and sudden?

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 4, 2017

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Valatar posted:

There's a status condition thing in the game, one of which is fear and countered with booze. I suspect the weird graphical thing around mimics is that condition.

That would make sense. I need to keep an eye on my status bar.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

There's a big storage locker in your officer. Just on the right as you come in the door, next to a potted plant.

I assume it opens a bit later into the game? Because when I first got to my office there was to prompt to interact with that locker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The combat was extra good until the point where you get an actual gun.

I accidentally took the longest possible route to the Pistol and had to fight a whole bunch of Phantoms using nothing but the wrech, gloo gun and tazer and it was pretty loving great.
There are a whole bunch of environmental hazards you can exploit, especially with the gloo gun which lets you make them stay put while you're setting up some exploding canisters or rupturing toxic pipes.