Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Prey is a very good game but man do I wish the person who was responcible for audio mixing knew what he was doing.
Audio mixing problems are the only thing that annoys me in this game but they're bad enough to constantly take me out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

DoctorGonzo posted:

they fixed the controls?

I haven't played the console demo and I'm playing with kb+m on PC, so I dunno about the differences.
Haven't had any problems with the controls though. Other than I wish you could bind more than one button per action and that it was possible to rebind the ability wheel button.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Anti-Hero posted:

What is the ability wheel bound to? Please don't say middle mouse...

Middle Mouse

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

GET MY BELT SON posted:

Is the wrench a viable weapon as the game progresses?

Dunno how viable it is but there are a bunch of upgrades related to it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Bardeh posted:

Why is the music and scary 'enemy is nearby' stuff SO LOUD? It feels like it's notched two or three degrees too high and it's really getting on my nerves.

Because the person who was in charge of audio balancing doesn't know how to do his job properly.

For real, it's my biggest problem with the game. It annoys me so much.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Bogart posted:

Like I said, it's just being as honest an homage to System Shock 2's music as can be. :colbert:

What about the god drat "objective updated" noise? I swear it has startled me more often than mimics.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I would like to know how getting some neural remapping allows me to pick up refridgerators.

Science. :science:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I've been collecting all the junk around the level and piling it up to get the most efficient Recycler Grenades.
Someone please make me stop and actually play the drat game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I am incredibly glad to see that Arkane Studios haven't broken their streak of amazing games.

May they never make a game that isn't great.

For the love of everything that is holy, please fix audio mixing in Prey. I beg of you.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Scott Forstall posted:

i'm 7 hours in on day 1 and I still have the weekend with nothing to accomplish, so I'll just keep playing.

I love the metroidvania aspect to the setting(I hate that term, but you know what I mean)

I really love that part of Prey also but I kinda wish I could mark stuff on the map.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I usually hate "horror" games, especially the ones that excessively jump scare you but somehow I not only don't mind Prey but I kinda like how tense the game is.
I think it's probably because most "jump scares" in Prey aren't scripted to be unavoidable. I can be proactive about not getting spooked by being observant, since mimics have a whole bunch of tells.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Are Psi Packs the only way to restore Psi?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Has anyone tried to fabricate something you didn't find a fabricating license for by manually shoving the ingredient blocks into right places, minecraft-style?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Neuromod Fabrication License uses a bunch of metal? Guess I'll have to find a way through the game without crafting any more ammo, ever.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

:stare: :sweatdrop:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Rookersh posted:

I JUST REALIZED YOU CAN USE THE RECYCLER BOMBS TO OPEN SUPER LOCKED DOORS.

AHHHHH. I NEED TO GO BACK. I HAVE SO MANY ROOMS.

gently caress me...
Now I want to refund my Leverage Neuromods.

Oh well, now I know for the second playthrough.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

thebardyspoon posted:

OK how do you open the doors that are blocked by loads of planks of metal? I tried a recycling charge as soon as I got them but it didn't do anything so I assumed it was some gadget I'd get a bit later. Then I saw someone use one in a gif I think and it worked. Just tried it again with the grenade right under the planks and it did nothing. Am I missing something or what?

I was wondering the same thing. Haven't found any way to open those doors. Always had to go around them.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Lol at all the people comparing this to bioshock in space. You mean systemshock...?

What's a System Shock? Some kind of indie rip-off of Bioshock?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Has anyone found any use for sliding what so ever?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is Leverage the most pointless skill path?

Leverage 1 is really good since you can turn any throwable into a weapon, especially explosive canisters. II and III, not so much.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Theris posted:

I haven't had time to play yet, but I pre-ordered based on loving Dishonored, and it sounds like that was the correct choice. I did check out metacritic user reviews just to see what non-goons have to say and it's overwhelming positive, too. The handful of bad reviews are kind of funny, though, since they all fall into one of four categories:

• It's too easy
  • It's too hard
  • I wanted a mindless shooter and this is way too complicated
  • It's just a generic mindless shooter

That's how you know that the game is actually good.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The Walrus posted:

Hahah, theres a quest line that leads directly to a game over. this game is great.

What is a game over if not an alternative ending.

Makes you think.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

n4 posted:

Are GamerGate-types upset about the lesbian relationship featured in the main storyline?

Incredibly. I bet they're thrashing around in fits of autistic rage over the fact that you can be a femYu as well.
Their tiny little brains cannot even understand how a woman can be the protagonist of any story what so ever without needing help from a man.
So pathetic.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Rookersh posted:

Hacking ironically seems pointless. Enough notes around to just know the login info, and hacking to me feels like it pulls away from the exploration which is the best part of tbe game. Sure you can hack the door, or you can find the guy who actually has the key two zones away and Metroidvania back to open it.

I did found some safes that could only be opened by hacking unfortunately (they didn't even let you input a code), so that's not really the case.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Can someone confirm or deny that Q-Beam "damage" goes down over time after a while?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Prey 1 was pretty generic even for the time. I have no idea what is it people remember fondly from it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

So I see this is being billed as a horror game, but what I'm hearing (and seeing from earlygame streams) is that it isn't really very scary; mimics are kind of cute, even.

However, I'm a huge baby about horror, and on literal doctor's orders to avoid anything excessively stressful besides, so how does this game rate re: scariness/stressfulness, notably risk of jumpscares etc.? I'm not suuuuper keen on the idea of something chasing me around the game, but the gameplay looks fun as hell and I loved the Deus Ex games.

I'm a big pussy when it comes to scares and Prey doesn't jump scare you often but I find it incredibly tense.
I'm more constantly on edge about the potential of every physics jump scaring me.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

This cannot continue! This cannot continue! This cannot continue! This cannot continue!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

How do I disable quests? I was idly clicking on a Security terminal and now I have a random objective to find a crew member I don't care about.

Click on that same crew member on that same terminal again and you'll un-tag him.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Thanks. Back to Trauma, I guess, this thing is annoying.

By the way, do you get any kind of fast travel in the game? Is it even necessary?

Actually , my bad, it doesn't have to be the same terminal. Just any security terminal will do.

You fast travel by going outside of the station and flying in space between airlocks.
You'll get a tutorial of sorts for that later on if you haven't gotten there yet.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

JESUS loving CHRIST! The game suddenly hit me with an EXTREMELY loud music sting that startled the poo poo out of me and literally *nothing* happened.
I stood still waited for a good minute, recovering from that. Nothing.

Incidentally, you can totally tag enemies even without a Psychoscope.
It can be useful if you want to sneak around an enemy and want to "see" them through walls.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 12:57 on May 8, 2017

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

gently caress touchscreen calibrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

bewilderment posted:

So how screwed will I be if I decide to ignore the main plot leading me into Psychotropics, and instead go through the Volunteer Quarters to wherever the hell that leads? I like exploring but I don't want to go too far if I don't have an easy way back.

There's a ~spooky music~ Poltergeist in there after I flicked on the flights but I can't actually tell how to fight it or... how it can hurt me? It can lift me up but nothing quite seems to happen.

Explore everywhere. The game is even better if you do what you fell like doing instead of just blindly following directions.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I have to give Arkane props for making Psychoscope having enough disadvantages to make it impractical to have it on all the time.

It's a pet peeve of mine. I hate it when "batman vision" or whatever is strictly better.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

I have to believe they're trolling. It's called BioShock for gently caress's sake. It's like panning Disney's High School Musical because "it rips off West Side Story."

A lot of people have never heard of System Shock.
System Shock 2 is an 18 years old game after all.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Palpek posted:

I don't know if everybody gets that but there's this one fabricator with an item stuck in it that you can't directly pick up and when you turn it on to get it it turns into a mimic.

That jumpscare is practically after you pick up the Psychoscope with Mimic Finder chip and just lol if you're not creeping around at the speed of a snail everywhere, using it so that you wouldn't get jumpscared by a mimic ever again.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I imagine that a No Neuromods runs would probably try to skip as much combat as possible and just get the fastest possible ending.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is the sound mixing for the Phantoms really like...low, for anyone? I have subtitles on and I've always seem their little murmurs but I don't think I've ever actually been able to hear them talk.

Sound mixing for the whole game is really hosed. It's literally the biggest problem I have with the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I got 60 Organic Material and every fabrication plan that I have that uses Organic Material also uses Metal and I see no reason to use metal to craft anything other than more Neuromods.
Are there any useful plans later on that use organics but not metal?