Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

redreader posted:

Since I've already played it and don't care, are there any ways to make it significantly easier at the start? e.g. get shotgun early somehow, or get neuromod X first?

If you didn't know, there's a way to get the shotgun real easy once you get to the Lobby.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tktiYRpL9jw

Although if you have the pre-order DLC then it's not much faster I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Rinkles posted:

The little examples of lateral thinking being rewarded is why I loving love these games.

This.

Arkane are so good with that.
I'm currently playing through Arx Fatalis and even back then they were loving amazing at that.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

scaterry posted:

What the heck are reployers used for? Is there a lore reason?

All Reployers are actually "Even Greater Mimic" enemies that have disguised themselves as a totally unique thing but it also turns out that they're super lazy and they don't bother attacking anything.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

InequalityGodzilla posted:

How many typhon abilities can you buy before the turrets start turning on you?

They start attacking you at 3+. So you can get 2 without any problems.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

No one really knows how they do it. I think the top theories were that they literally changed places with an item from another dimension, or they used some power of suggestion to force onlookers to see a cup instead of the mimic.

One nice little tibtbit of info was that when the Typhon occupy this alternate dimension, time flows completely differently. So they could be sitting on some derelict satellite floating through space for thousands of years, but mere seconds pass by in their dimension. As soon as they detect something interesting, they just phase into our universe.

Even the game is pretty inconsistent about it.

On one hand, the objects mimics turn into can phase though the floor and walls and act like a real object wouldn't, suggesting that they don't actually turn into a different object but only make you believe that they do (and mess up in the process because they're dumb alien animals).
On another hand, when Y(o)u turn into objects using the mimic power you don't break the laws of physics and can in fact operate the objects you turn into, such as turrets and operators.

Either Mimics and Y(o)u have fundamentally different powers that do the same things, or the way they work is completely different or Arkane didn't want to bother with spergs that would over-analyze all the tiny details.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Do yourselves a favor and play all of Arkane's games. Some of them are better than others but all of them are great.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I am on my second game. I haven't gotten morph yet on this play through. I am kind of surprised at how many doors/entrances you can open with the recycler grenade or Nerfgun. Nerfgun even works on computer screens.

In zero-g, is there any way to make it so you don't automatically slow down to walking speed? I want to hit sprint, reach high speeds, and just keep going without slowing down, as you should in outer space.

Have you tried holding down the Sprint button? It's supposed to speed you up to 10m/s or something like that.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Maybe they're planning on going Dishonored 2, Prey, Dishonored 2 DLC, Prey DLC?
I hope so, I'd like some DLC/Expandalones for both games.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

You guys do realize that he purposefully shits on every single game, including his favorites, and that those videos aren't intended to be taken as serious reviews, right?

Cause oh boy do I have news for you otherwise. Did you know that The Onion is (gasp!) not real news?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

I have very strong buyers remorse about paying full price for Neir: Automata

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Same. What a waste that was.

:psypop:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I'm sorry Jack. I'll get a controller at some point and try it again.

Do yourself a favor and do just that.
Nier: Automata is seriously one of those few games that you can use the word "art" to describe, unironically.
You won't regret it if you have any modicum of taste.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Rinkles posted:

According to people with actual numbers, despite making the NPD top 10 -- sadly but predictably -- Prey sold poorly.

Prey sold half as many copies on Steam as Dishonored 2. Which isn't many but it's not *that* bad is it?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I mean, Dishonored 2 itself didn't do well.

Yeh, unfortunately.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'd rather not have Arkane's talent being watered down by Bethesda's garbage.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Rinkles posted:

IPs are just a medium for expressing creativity. I'd prefer for them to stick to their own stuff, but that talent should shine wherever it's applied.

I don't care about IPs but my personal opinion is that Arkane makes really good games while Bethesda makes mediocre games and if it was up to me then I'd rather not give Bethesda any excuses to boss around Arkane's creative process.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

fridge corn posted:

How many anime pillows do you own?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

the black husserl posted:

this_is_why_prey_sold_poorly.txt

I really think that calling the game "Prey" was a big mistake.
I can understand slapping the branding of a good thing onto a bad game, but other way around?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Has anyone made a mod that turns Mimics into fluffy kittens yet?

I beat the game once and it's loving amazing, just like everything else Arkane makes, but since I'm a massive pussy I unfortunately don't think that my heart can take another playthrough.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

double nine posted:

i'm curious, do mimics trigger people with arachnophobia? They're somewhat similarly shaped but don't really move in the same way so I wonder.

I don't think they would.
They don't have that that "robotic" movement that spiders have, mimics move pretty fluidly most of the time, nor do they have fangs or any sharp features.

If Mimics moved and looked more like insects then that would've been really hosed up.

CaptCommy posted:

They didn't for me, but my arachnophobia is more low key. The only ones that really get me are the big furry ones, like in Dark Messiah (which I powered through, but god drat)

That place in Dark Messiah sucks.
It's only saving grace is that if you move really slowly then you can actually see the spiders waiting to ambush you, giving you an opportunity to use all the fireball scrolls you've been saving just for that place.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

Jesus christ the Technomancer in Fabrication scared the poo poo out of me. I thought my game was glitching out when this massive misshapen Operator looking thing flew through the doorway right into my face.

Q-Beam is pretty much made for that. Especially because it does AoE damage after something explodes so you can start by killing one of the turrets and it'll damage all of the thing.
Combat Focus helps too.
Alternatively, the Stun Gun and EMP Grenades are good too.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Rinkles posted:

That fight was a highlight. I also found it early, and was unprepared. I did take it down, but expended basically all my resources doing so.

Same but it was worth it because I crafted like 30 neuromods right after.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Speaking of which, what's the point of using GLOO in combat? I just couldn't find any combat use for it at all.

Sure it would let me stun an enemy so I can get close and smack them but the time it takes the GLOO Gun to stun a Phantom could just as well be used to just run up to them and smack them instead.
Either way you get only one hit since the GLOO falls off them when you hit them.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

Until I got it fully upgraded I found that using it was a liability compared to pretty much any other weapon because the movement slowdown while firing made me take more damage than I would have otherwise.

You can fire the Q-Beam either from a very long range where you're way more safe or you can also fire it in bursts just like any other weapon.

Although to be fair, I mostly used it on big targets from long range.
Or from stealth where I would do about 50% damage with Q-Beam and then the other 50% with some other method once detected.

Incessant Excess posted:

How am I supposed to deal with military operators? I put all my points toward being able to fight well with my shotgun and those guys are an enormous drain on my resources. Are you supposed to just run past them? I really hate this part of the game.

Upgraded Stun Gun one-shots them if I remember correctly.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I was slamming that Buy DLC button so hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

GANDHITRON posted:

They also mentioned that asymmetrical multiplayer thing with four players as mimics.

That's coming later I think.