Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
I think I saw the ending coming because the story beats are very similar to an old xbox game called Breakdown, although the twist in that is a little different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
I think it would have more impact if they just saw my psycho behavior and failed me there instead of Alex's dumb rear end saying "I trust them."

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Im pretty sure on my kill all humans run they still let me make the choice at the end.

Its been a few years tho.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Both DooM and SS1 were trying to be more of a dungeon crawler style of game than a fps (which hadnt been "invented" yet) or an imm sim (also not a thing yet).

While Duke 3D felt like it was trying to be a (good) DooM clone/FPS.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Basic Chunnel posted:

Yeah all I’m saying is that SS1 and Prey aren’t really comparable — and that even if you scaled the criteria to things that SS1 actually attempts, I still think Prey is better in those respects. The updates of gameplay to SS1 in the remake are pretty conservative, though Nightdive was actually going to do more before the neckbeard crowd shut them down when it was announced. Obviously, I wish they’d changed more.

Prey vs SS2, now there’s an interesting comparison. I think there’s an argument to be made that SS2 would actually benefit more from the light touch used for SSR — the “friction” (to use a term people throw around a lot re: the most ambitious immersive sim yet made, Tears of the Kingdom) and difficulty are what made it really memorable, but there’s always such a thin line between friction and imbalance. SS2 had the flaw common to most every classic tabletop and CRPG: It gives you several build options but punishes you for pursuing the really interesting ones.

Tbqh I think if Arkane had been given the time to meaningfully implement the survival mechanics into the main game, Prey would have fully been what SS2 aspired to be.

Id say Prey is much better too.

And at the risk of sounding like a neckbeard, a lot of the stuff thats good in the SS1 remake was in the enhanced edition of the original game, and some of the stuff they added to the remake feels worse than the original. The SS2 tetris block inventory system is a good example, it kinda feels jammed in there and is actually more limiting than the original where you can carry infinite medpatches and ammo, and more weapons as well. Recycling stuff felt like busywork (especially combined with the tetris block SS2 inventory), and its required to upgrade your guns, whereas in the original you could "upgrade" a gun by essentially finding a better version of it. It is a nice way to stay up on medpatches, but since the vending machines run out you still end up traversing all the decks to find some if youre low.

Dyz fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 10, 2023

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
To be fair, if you were to play the *original* ss1 with the old controls and no mouselook idk whether it would be easier or harder than the remake. It would certainly be a lot slower though.

And I would never subject myself to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Arc Light posted:

I also avoided that on my first playthrough, but after a couple more runs where I played every single mod for good measure, I really only use a couple of Typhon neuromods regularly. The tree that allows you to regenerate up to 25 health every time you're injured is an absolute game changer, and ditto the mimic ability, but most of the others can be ignored if you're good at stealth and/or have fully upgraded guns.

Time basically stops while youre aiming some of the typhon powers so you can drop a psychoshock and the three big damage abilities in half a second and obliterate just about anything.

It makes combat focus look like a joke.