Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Jack Trades posted:

I haven't played the Demo, since it's not on PC but let me get this straight.

You can pickup all the random garbage to make crafting materials out of it. The main enemy type can hide as any random garbage to spook you.
Is that right? I might have to buy myself a pair of brown pants to wear while playing this.

yeah, you can go to pick up some some random object and it might just turn into a horrible writhing spider beast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the escape from the apartment was so well designed.

so you go out into the hallway and wtf poo poo looks different and there's a hosed up corpse. ooh, a wrench. pick up the wrench and start hitting poo poo with it, because that's what you do with a wrench when you're in a video game. look around and notice that there's an aquarium. let's smash the aquarium and see what happens! *smash* it's not really an aquarium, it is a cunning simulation.:raise: return to the room and what do I see before me but a giant window. wonder if I can smash that?

*smash*

whoah...

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Unlucky7 posted:

You can do that?! Oh thank god! I thought it was ridiculous that they have some wonderful tension then gently caress it all up with *LOUD MUSIC STING* *WUBWUBWUBWUB*

I did not complete the demo, for now anyway. The early combat is definitely more suited to a PC, assuming that it is a decent port, and I liked what I have played enough to get it, though I may be waiting till reviews come out first.

the music is especially not cool considering the fact that you face enemies that can attack you and then retreat and turn into coffee mugs and you're left wondering for several minutes which coffee mug they are while the extremely intense music pounds your brain. I turned it off when some dumb mimic tucked itself into a corner and subjected me to a musical nightmare as I rifled through the file cabinets.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the polygon video is like the dude was holding the controller with his feet while drunk. pure comedy.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
what are you supposed to do about weavers? those things kill me so quick I don't even know what they're doing to me.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

I reloaded after I did it. had a bad feeling. good to see I'm correct. haha

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
flying enemies fall when GLOOd and fall damage is a thing for them. killed a Technopath with gravity.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
is there a way to get the power back on in hardware labs after rebooting the reactor? because the only way I see to complete a couple quests now is to get leverage 3 to move some doors.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Same, I've rescued everyone and they aren't all showing there.

I don't know if the crew quarters people every actually go there so you can talk to them, but there is a survivor hideout in the cargo bay.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Asproigerosis posted:

What's the best pro gamer tip for technocrats? They are munching my butt right now.

psychoshock them which locks down their attack ability, then unload on them with whatever you've got. shoot them, chuck recyclers at them. if you have machine mind you can turn their robot helpers against them.

the ones in zero g are obnoxious but I noticed that grenades thrown in zero g have a flat trajectory, so I just pegged them with grenades until I could close to shotgun range.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
does the EVA speed ever get upgraded by an item or something? I like that you can fly around outside but during the longer trips I'm basically keeping my Kindle open next to the keyboard.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

InAndOutBrennan posted:

Just to make sure. You're using the sprint button right?

lol.

:negative:

hahahaha. well, that helps. thanks.

I mean to my credit how does one "sprint" in the black void of space? it just doesn't make sense!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

s.i.r.e. posted:

Just picked this up yesterday on Steam and I'm enjoying it but I have questions:

1. Can you remove that lovely effect that happens when you go into combat and the contrast makes everything in shadows and dark as gently caress? The enemies are already black so going into combat makes them drat near impossible to see.

2. Does the combat get better? I generally avoided combat in SS2 when I could but it seems like there's a ton more poo poo in my way in this game and I'm forced into combat when I don't want to be but the shooting in this game sucks, but I'm still really early into the game and only have the pistol with is a peashooter and just feels bad to use. Also the enemies are kinda lame and boring to engage so that's not helping. Is there a Psi ability that just lets me sneak by more easily maybe that'd be better in my case.

3. Why does my mouse sensitivity change when I sprint?

1. The visual effect is the Fear status and you can resist it through neuromods and also straight up boozing. chug some of those whiskeys you've been finding.

2. you shouldn't be relying on just your pistol to kill poo poo. you can get more weapons very early if you explore a bit. anything besides mimics is, at least at the start of the game, way stronger than you and will kick the poo poo out of you unless you get creative and combine your abilities and items to fight them. use the environment too. or just run away and hide until they forget you. and yeah, you can improve your stealth with mods.

3. :iiam:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Mzbundifund posted:

I snuck past them and killed the telepath, then they all fell unconscious. Is that good enough? I don't have mindjack.

I feel like I heard some dialogue that suggested as much. as long as they describe as unconscious rather than dead I assume you're good.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Ohhhhh what happens if you disarm it?

he just laughs at you for a long time and then drops dead apropos of nothing. I was disappointed I couldn't mind control him.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
this has probably come up already but... can you save Danielle Sho? the message I got from her suggested she was gonna die, but is it possible to find her?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I killed it by hiding on top of some rocks where it couldn't hit me and then popping up and psi zapping it til dead. used up all my hypos. you get an achievement for murdering it.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the moon shark is a dick and if you have the upgraded jet pack you should just jump from roof to rocky outcropping to roof to avoid his unwanted advances.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Less Fat Luke posted:

Holy poo poo I had no idea.

i now feel about as dumb as i did when i learned you could "sprint" in the zero g bits back when the game first came out.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Talos is one of my fave settings honestly. i've always wanted to see more games set in a singular, well modeled space and Prey is about as close as i've ever seen attempting that. like, think of how Die Hard is almost entirely in and around Nakatomi Plaza, i want games like that and Prey is it.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I rate both Dishonored installments very highly. I think Prey is my favorite of all their releases but they're up there. play them in order if you're going to play them both, if you only play one do the second. keep in mind #1 is pretty old at this point.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Tagaziel posted:

Both? You forgot about Death of the Outsider and Deathloop.

haha i forgot about that easter egg in Deathloop.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
one ding on neo Deus Ex is that there's a pretty good chance they'll never finish the plot arc and they set up some stuff in the second one that never pays off because they were planning to make another one.

but Deus Ex the first is in the GOAT pantheon. go ahead and mod it for your first time, you won't be missing out on anything.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
within the week there will be old men running the world!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
speaking of Thief, here's something to watch out for.

https://twitter.com/TafferKing451/status/1566222244111458304?s=20&t=hCb4jB6GFZBpeE7ptzapjA

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Teledahn posted:

I still can't believe that when Deathloop's lead designer (in Arkane Lyon) heard that Prey: Mooncrash (from Arkane Austin) was also 'A time loop game' he REFUSED TO LOOK AT OR PLAY IT because he didn't want to inadvertently copy them or be influenced by their work.

And so we have the disappointment that is Deathloop's design. Wilfully avoiding opportunities to learn from someone else's mistakes is just insane.

are you fuckin kidding me? lmao

I assumed Mooncrash was like the test case for the new full size game they were making that became Deathloop.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/SelacoGame/status/1567060317082902528?s=20&t=lefLYgBQARiROvby4kwFDA

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i liked how in the intro helicopter ride you see some birds and they just don't look right. later you find an email talking about how the sim birds are glitching out.

really good music track there too.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the other major characters are all represented by operators. i don't know if they're meant to be remote proxies of the characters or programmed clone operators like January.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
why have games not continued to innovate in the space of pratfall interactions. why can i not make an orc's pants pants fall down so he trips, rolls down a hill, and falls into an open manhole?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
in Prey you can go OUTSIDE the station. so fuckin cool.