Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Absolutely loved Dishonored 1+2 so I have total faith this game will own, it looks marvelous. Looks like the spiritual progeny of stuff like System Shock and Dead Space, maybe even Half-Life with the physics and weird powers at play (and GLOO gun.) That eye-device freaks me out so much, I loving hated that one eye "moment" in Dead Space 2.

My only wish is that they have their console and PC ports on lock and don't have to make fixes for a month like Dishonored 2, which wasn't perfectly optimized out the gate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

This one? :v:

Yu looking at his pinkeye in a mirror reminds me of a scene from Prometheus.

it reminds me of that horrid scene in Dead Space 2

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

played about an hour of this, I think it looks really cool. previously the only takes on this I read were from NeoGAF which bitched and complained endlessly about poo poo like "doesn't run well, input is bad, game terrible and boring" and I have to wonder if they were even playing the same loving game. Just gonna chalk it up those people being hopeless fuckwits as usual because it runs beautifully and looks great, so far better than Dishonored 2 initially was. The enemies are sort of skittish and glitchy in their movements but it fits their weird appearance. I was expecting more unique Neuromod trees but I guess it all comes in time; not sure if you get the ability to become a coffee cup in the demo. Looking forward to the reviews on it, hopefully soon after the release.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

HenryEx posted:

Is that supposed to be Dishonored 2? Because i haven't encountered any input lag in 40 hours of playing.

neither have I, but then again DH2 isn't designed to have frantic gun segments like Prey so I can see why the controls right now on PS4 could be annoying. Personally I didn't really feel too hindered besides the occasional spidery thing moving too fast, but the GLOO gun fixed that.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

after playing the rest of the demo I'm a bit less enthused due to how loving obnoxious mimics are. they move around like they are glitching and aiming at those fuckers is a pain in the rear end. The blaring music that plays when they're around was novel at first but by the end, I was getting fed up with it. I wish you could at least detect some of them because towards the end a lot of rooms amounted to "oh 5 of these guys show up have fun hammering the gloo gun"

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I really love DH2 as well, and am stoked at the thought of DLC. I've replayed it a ton and still keep seeing people in the Dishonored thread talk about new power combinations.

I also really like the first Bioshock and DXHR. My favourite game of all time is the original DX.

My dream game would be Arkane building the physical bits of a Fallout game.

Harvey Smith and Todd Howard working together, they could learn so much from each other. Todd would learn about good narratives and powersets, Harvey would learn about how everything just works and also there should be 5000 endings.

Whatever comes next for Fallout I hope they learned from Witcher 3's structure and also finally build a different engine that isn't ugly or sputters like a used car. I say that as a person who enjoyed Fallout 4 but was disappointed they didn't reach for more.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

I don't have a computer that can run Prey, but I do have a PS4. How good does DXHR and Dishonored 2 run and control on it?

I never had problems with Dishonored 2 in 2 whole playthroughs except for that one scene in the beginning where you're in a boat and the framerate is like 10fps, but after that 30-second segment it's all fairly decent 30FPS.

DXHR, on non-Pro PS4 at least, was so jittery in the open world hub it was gross. Game just felt like poo poo on consoles but that's me.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

why can't they just come out and say "it's zenimax's denuvo policy sorry guys" like with every other game the publisher releases

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

devs streaming the PC version today and the next few days

https://www.twitch.tv/bethesda

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

all I remember about Prey is that it tried to do a new gameplay mechanic with portals and then Portal literally came out the following year and poo poo all over it

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

:thejoke:

Was alot more fun than portal 1, the puzzle simulator. Also portals wasn't really the main gimmick of prey 1, it was more of something that was there or you could do. Make fun of the American Indian spirit mode while your at it.

that sucked too

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

reading pretty good impressions on this game. even the lovely forums that complained about the demo are saying they love it so far. I think I'll have to pick this up tomorrow

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

OK I'm really thinking Arkane love the original Deus Ex.

Arkane's co-founder and Dishonored 1/2 director, Harvey Smith, was one of the main designers of the original Deus Ex

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

if anyone has the PS4 version, has anything major been changed from the demo i.e. music beats, aiming controls, etc?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

so wait, you can kill the guy on the radio giving you objectives and try to finish the game that way?

that's fantastic

holy poo poo I can't wait to start playing this tonight. Arkane is so loving good about choices but I did not expect something like this to be one of them.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

im enjoying the game but don't feel it's really going to open up until I get whatever alien powers are in the game into my skill tree. iI reached the atrium workshop just now and have some neuromods but really want to wait for the cool poo poo.

I rushed Necropsy so I could harvest lots of alien corpse poo poo and recycle but I hope I find another recycler soon, it's a bummer to have to rush back over to Morgan's office right now.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I just got the looking glass thing up and running and finished the video. I'm anxious as to when I get alien powers? I feel I need them since the gloo gun does gently caress all versus phantoms and pistols just can't trade blows with them, I'm getting my rear end kicked.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

whew, in the GUTS portion and got through what I assume was the first "boss" which was kind of lame just kiting him around the little boxed area.

I'm constantly starved for health and suit repairs now but have enough ammo and poo poo to combat alien guys. Phantoms are still really goddamn deadly even now but I'm sitting on like 5 Neuromods so maybe I should get Backlash. Currently only have the cuppy power because how could I resist? Gotta backtrack now and go through spaces I couldn't before.

I'm only playing on Normal and maybe this is just first-run jitters but it's plenty hard if an errant bolt rips into you or you have a bad beat versus a Phantom. I have a feeling it will be like Dishonored 1+2--wherein I needed a second playthrough, as the 1st playthru was stumbling along and the 2nd one was about totally knowing how to handle every situation and getting creative.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I feel moronic that I didn't know how the gently caress the medbay robot dispensers worked until after I got Typhon powers. Literally never saw the dispense button and I guess that's why I had to eat through food and medkits like crazy.

In other news I accidentally went in another direction in the zero-g tunnels and ended up battling my way to an air filtration system, which I fixed, and nothing really happened. So someone up there now has free air conditioning lol. I did however get an extremely good fabrication blueprint around there so it was worth it. Not sure if the filtration thing will end up being a sequence break later on.

Whoever said this felt like a 3D Metroid---that's starting to feel spot-on.

Flubby posted:

This is having the effect on me some games have where I almost want it to end or to start over because of how much I know now, and how much better I could do things next time around. I'm almost tempted to have play a second save at the same time as this game but I know there's no way I'd be able to wrap my head around where I've been and what I'm doing.

Brah I had the exact same thought with BOTH Dishonored games. The second playthrough for both of them was the real fun wherein the game environment was my plaything due to how much I learned. I think it's actually to Arkane's credit for developing games where you really research and learn what works best for yourself, and then you're better equipped for a more fun, experimental route. It helps immensely that both Prey and Dishonored 1/2 lend themselves to repeat playthroughs due to offering hugely different ways to invest in your skill and ability trees.

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 8, 2017

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Bardeh posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/may/08/prey-review-sci-fi-shooter-bioshock-dead-space-dishonored-bethesda

Huh, The Guardian only gave it 3/5 and seem pretty down on it.

No mention of System Shock, and personally I think that this quote:

is just plain wrong. The freedom that the game gives you to tackle the station however you want, the utility of the Gloo gun, and the zero G sections are all things that make the game stand out IMO.

the only 2 reviews this guy has written is this and Nioh and complains about how each game "is a clone" in both so he's clearly got a stick up his rear end

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

i am extremely disappointed with the amount of reviews trickling in that sound like they're saying "well it's got bits of bioshock in there but bioshock did it first so it's just a copycat"

I'd argue, at least from my playthrough thus far, that Bioshock can't even touch this

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Wildtortilla posted:

How's does combat feel in this game? I liked BioShock 1, tolerated Infinite, and have never finished 2 and in all those games the combat felt off, especially in 2. Guns and plasmids felt like they didn't impact enemy's unless they had a stun effect and in 2 enemy animation looked weird, like the models drop into single digit FPS.

I've got my eyes on this game cause I dig DE and SS2, but if it has similar janky feeling combat I may be put off.

you're never going to be a military badass in this game so combat with guns is never optimal or constantly empowering against the weird aliens but the later telekinetic poo poo you can learn to use against them is good. There are so many ways to take down enemies from controlling machines to dropping a 1-ton luggage case on one.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm not expecting to be a military badass. Something about the combat design in the Bioshock games has always felt weird to me.

I just realized though that Prey wasn't made by the Bioshock folks. It was made by the Dishonored folks and that game felt great to me.

you'll be able to smash poo poo reliably with your work wrench and although there's no real zoom or aim with guns, it's mainly a pistol/shotgun for a lot of the time and they work well against enemies (smaller common baddies take like 3 or 4 wrench smashes to kill; the later "main" enemies take a few shots with bullets to put down but you'll also likely have turret/Psi-powers/object throws/etc to help you as well. generally combat is very frantic for me since enemies are fast but the Combat Focus ability will help you aim a lot, too--as will the freezing power of your trusty GLOO Gun which you'll use for loving everything.

It's not Dishonored, or even Bioshock Infinite--you're not a super agile ninja man with combat savvy motions and quick hands, but I never felt like a klutz or an incapable goober. The input for the PS4 is much better than it was in the demo (it's honestly fine.) Honestly, "combat" is so varied that you'll want to come up with more options than your guns to deal with enemies.

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 8, 2017

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

You know it's a super minor thing in the grand scheme of things but I actually really enjoy how opening sequence (pre-getting knocked out by gas) IS actually in the neuromod division physically. It would have been easy for them to have it be a separate map and put you in the 'set' after you woke up. But they did infact make an entirely functional sim lab, and that's awesome.

it reminds me of the Clockwork Mansion in Dishonored 2--another level that not only shows you what is happening behind the scenes but also lets you completely "break" the level by Blinking into the guts of the walls and sneaking through most of it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

man some of the reviews coming out are shockingly bad, like 5 or 6s complaining "doesn't elevate the genre; does nothing new" you can turn into a loving cup. how does Bioshock Infinite get a pass and this doesn't

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Juked a Phantom the other day and he teleported forward into zero-gravity, rendering him in stasis :v: Then shot its head off.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Instead of doing the Artreum/GUTS mission I've been meandering for like 2 hours inside the water treatment plant, the air filtration place, and some fuckin lobby where I cleared out everything and got a fuckton of material, neuromods, and other poo poo. I think I've gone as far as I can in this side area because I assume I need to power up a lift or generator or something to go further, also I'm scared to go back into the zero G tunnel with those loving cysts and the goddamn technopath.

I barely did the GUTS/Cargo run as the technopath fired poo poo at me only to discover that opening this thing does nothing? it's like the 2nd thing i've done besides turning on the air filtration that I did randomly without being asked to, and yet neither really did anything discernible. lame.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Junkenstein posted:

John Walker of all people gave it a good, RPS Recommended, review anyway.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/05/09/prey-review/

honestly I'm surprised he liked it, given how this game can get tough and he crapped out hard on Hyper Light Drifter because he got lost and it was too tough.

navigating GUTS sucks purely because of Cystoids goddamn they are the worst thing ever

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

there are a few spaces wherein I think you could get legit hosed in, namely anywhere you need to squeeze in as a cup. If you ran out of Psi you'd have no way to get out of some of those rooms lol.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm glad I took the Pyrokinetic explosion power, seems to do major damage to anything except the fire Phantoms. downside is it costs a lot but it managed to wreck the Telepath I came across really well.

Also glad I followed advice to get Leverage III. Threw a big level 3 crate at a Phantom and he splattered.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Rookersh posted:

Thinking back after the end, all neuromods are basically useless.

Repair is needed for 1-2 quests, and some basic freebies. It's nice but not required.

Every plot critical/side path has a code/password nearby. Hacking only seems "required" to open a few safes ( that have more psi hypos in them! :whee: ), and a few ( like less then 5 ) terminals all of which have maybe a single email on them. I never hacked anything that made me actually appreciate the skill.

Leverage is nice for combat, but you can recycle grenade most of the leverage areas. Or just grab leverage one and throw the small stuff at the bigger stuff.

During my endgame scour the station bit, I found exactly two mimic doors that have it as the only way in. One of them is just a medbay. Totally useless.

Almost every single Typhon power seems extremely weak/not enough to justify them. I bought and tried all of them, and the only one that was worth it even slightly was Psychoshock, especially because it blocks psi powers. The all human powers run seems easy, the all Typhon powers run seems terrifying. That shouldn't be the case, and says a lot about how balanced/enjoyable the Typhon powers are.

The only power set I went down that actually felt like it changed the game in significant ways was the human path health/mobility upgrades. And I felt like both ruined the game for me, because it went from a tense station crawl to me doomguying my way around, basically flying everywhere and facetanking two nightmares at the same time. And don't get me wrong, I like DOOM, but I didn't like the change of pacing at all. There is potential there though if you started by grabbing those/leverage 3, got the quickthrow mod, and then started the game as DOOM 2. It's just not what I wanted from the game.

Like if I had to boil it down to neuromods I actually felt did anything, I'd just regrab the first medpack upgrade, the food upgrade, necro, the two security weapon damage buffs ( and gunsmith to upgrade them ), psychoshock and the inventory space stuff.

I think "useless" is probably not the right word here. Obviously all neuromods are useful for something. Are they all necessary, no of course not, you can beat the game without them. But turning into a cup to get under a gap or being able to throw a server farm at a ghost or exploding a room with your brain is certainly useful.

actually, hacking is worthless because I mean why put points into that when you could put points into "create doppelganger poltergeist from dead body" instead

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

khwarezm posted:

Man, this game is getting some harsh reviews.

being forced to rush through the game to get reviews out probably had a little to do with it but overall it has more good reviews than bad ones. Some though, like the IGN review, are Godhand levels of WTF. The complaints of "doesn't do enough to elevate genre" are horseshit in my opinion---that didn't stop everyone from giving Uncharted 4 perfect scores last year, did it?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

VolticSurge posted:

I love how the thread 180'd from "this game is the best System Shock" to "this game is a TRASH FIRE" so quickly.

yeah man I really love this nonexistent thing too

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

got the Nightmare alert for the first time but I was in the Neuromod office renewing my license so I just hid under a desk for a few minutes lol. No idea if Nightmare can come through doors to get you or not.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Pyrokinesis is so loving good. It seems to do great damage to everything, it's been my go-to fuckoff ability for when something really powerful like a Telepath or annoying Phantom gets too annoying.

alphabettitouretti posted:

Does upgraded Leverage allow you to cause massive damage with thrown objects? Because it's worthless for removing barriers when recycler grenades exist.

I've killed Phantoms with one Level 3 heavy object throw when they were at like, 70 to 80% health. It's tricky but when you get that throw in on them it will do tremendous damage and possibly splat them in a single hit. Leverage 3 also is useful for forcing open doors you'd otherwise need to do a lot of other poo poo to power up or sneak into.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

combat can get tough and I've been slaughtered quite a few times by 1 or 2 hits, but I've accepted that I'm not Corvo Attano so I rely mainly on gloo > shotgun to alien face, followed by psychic attack. There are a lot of enemies like Telepath who will gently caress you up and you can't fight head-on, you need to battle them in larger areas with hiding spots and take potshots at them. Leverage 3 and Machine Mind help out for throwing big-damage poo poo at enemies or controlling corrupt bots to shoot poo poo for you, too.

It's definitely a weak point of the game due to certain encounters being very tough but you have a big vocabulary of ways to deal with things, moreso than their teleport/mindblast tricks.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Question about the end of the Who Is December quest:

Was there a way to get to the escape pod besides gymnastics across the bridge with the GLOO gun? Assumed there was a switch to lower the bridge or something but never found it so I improvised. .

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I felt extremely bad about the part when you have to arm 3 sentry guns and everyone dies anyway, which maybe was my fault for not acting quick enough

Also, do you ever get to find Danielle Sho? I got the message from her but didn't know if she'd survive long enough after the chef mission for me to possibly find her. I'd be sad if, after her whole story arc, she just dies somewhere else

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Quinton posted:

I found her after stunning the chef (who was acting really fishy and appeared to be an imposter), by banging on a window in crew rec to get her attention. She gave me the voice code for Deep Storage (so I didn't have to assemble the password Sneakers-style from voice clips). She warned me about the chef and urged me not to let him off the station, so I went back and shot him.

holy poo poo, no idea this could happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

whoever decided to invent the cystoids enemies can eat loving poo poo; dodging and dealing with all those assholes in GUTS is horrifically unfun. also whoever decided to put a loving Technopath PLUS a Telepath in that path back up from when you reboot the system....you motherfucker. Not sure if I have the patience to do many more sidequests after that but I really want to finish the chef one.

When I went back to my office, the Nightmare loving came in. No idea how the gently caress this happened because how does he fit through the locked door!? Funny poo poo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsFjEmzQ2WQ