Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

DancingShade posted:

It was a pretty great (by which I mean dark and extremely awkward) moment when you listen to the recording of yourself overseeing the very experiment that killed your ex love interest's father
(assuming I haven't got the various characters mixed up)

I hit the delete recording button without a second thought and walked out of deep storage whistling innocently.

that whole questline was fantastic and I did not expect things to go that dark. Really puts the research--and myself--into horrifying perspective. It's a side mission that I hope many people see through to the end because it seems like such an important plot point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Tei posted:

Alternative...
If you let her ear the recording... at first she is angry at you, but finally cope with it. She rationalize it has "you are a different person now"

I didn't get that, I just got an angry outburst and a "don't talk to me ever" which is justified of course but idk how you got a different reaction

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

vaguely related to game thread but was reading through this excellent article today about Arkane's origins, when they were just coming up with Dishonored. One of the rare good pieces that came out of Polygon

https://www.polygon.com/2012/9/28/3425300/the-mirror-men-of-arkane

also: I knew he helped create Deus Ex but I had no idea that he did QA work for System Shock. Makes the complaints about "copying older poo poo" kind of hilarious when both of Arkane's top guys basically had their fingerprints on virtually every inspiration utilized for DH1/2 and Prey.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Khym posted:

Thanks! That answers my question. Strongly considering buying.

Most things under the "Bethesda" umbrella like Dishonored, Prey, DOOM, and Wolfenstein have been good. it's really only the "Bethesda Softworks" stuff by Todd Howard and Co (Fallout, Elder Scrolls) that's janky. Generally, if something was made by id, Machinegames, or Arkane, it's likely quality.

Jack Trades posted:

Arkane is such an amazing company. They kind of do only one kind of game but they do it so EXTREMELY well.
Literally everything that has come out from them so far has been amazing.

I hope the next game they make is the Techno-Dinosaur thing Harvey Smith never got to finish or even the insane "Crossing" game Colantonio had to abandon. That, or Zenimax buys the Deus Ex license back and gives it to Arkane.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

It's worth noting that the bad reputation Arkane got from their broken PC port of Dishonored 2 doesn't apply here. That was using their own VOID engine which, to be fair, is kind of lovely and still doesn't run well. Prey is using Cryengine which has been around for ages and gives solid performance.

I feel bad that Dishonored 2 got hosed for months due to a skanky engine, because it's still a fantastic game yet needs ridiculous specs to run well. I don't think it will ever run at a smooth 60fps on a PC these days. It's a miracle that it runs adequately on PS4.

Prey seems like it is constantly a rock solid 30fps and looks great, I really wish DH2 had used the same poo poo. I imagine whatever Arkane does in the future will probably not utilize anything like VOID going forward.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

thought the game would end after I got called to the office but nope now the elevator is fixed and game is still going. Wish it would end already since now Typhon elite baddies are loving everywhere and the game has become an annoying gauntlet of hundreds of corrupt machines and weavers everywhere. reminds me of the last third of RE7 where all the stealth and tension goes out the window and now you're faced with endless enemies at every single corner.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Raph Colantonio, central brain trust of Arkane and the director of Prey, is stepping away from Arkane: https://bethesda.net/en/article/5WUTxSzVbUmm0KGmwwuGUK/a-message-from-raphael-colantonio

Harvey Smith will be the big cheese from here on out, as he is co-founder of the company. Sad to see Colantonio leave after his baby came out (I think Smith was main director of DH1/2 but Colantonio was the prime guy on Prey) and it will leave the future of Prey that much more in question. That being said, Arkane under Harvey Smith will still likely continue to be great, given his experience and history.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Utnayan posted:

Dishonored 2 and Prey are some of the most uninspired games I have played through. They bored me to absolute tears, I didn't like the art direction, the game play was medicore, and nothing popped out as actually anything better than "Blah", aside from "Hey at least you can have a couple ways to do something which ends in the same result anyway". I have always thought Arkane was one of the most overrated studios ever. When I see people saying Prey reminds them of System Shock or Bioshock, I think they need to go back and play those again because I am guessing they may have a memory disorder.

lol you thought Infinite was better. A game where the powers might as well have been grenades or guns

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Digirat posted:

Yes, grenades and guns are well known for slamming you into enemies like a mass effect vanguard charge, putting up a bullet shield, pushing away or pulling in enemies, or converting enemies to your side.

none of those things are "control an army of rats, then become the rats"

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ah yes, more money = better than, classic

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Rinkles posted:

That thing was a death trap for me (because the devs didn't account for how it could interact with the nightmare)

I'm still amused how The Nightmare can get into your main office. That was quite a shocker, idk how it squeezed in there.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Rinkles posted:

A slightly awkward roundtable on immersive sim like games. Hosted by a mediocre interviewer (and the ubisoft guy felt a bit out of place). Pity Raphael Colantonio couldn't make it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyw0Pm7ulqc

seems pretty decent since they had Spector/Smith there. As far as immersive sims go, they pretty much wrote the book on them with their work in Deus Ex.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I just reactivated the main elevator thing, what percentage of the game is left from here?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Finally finished this after putting it off for a long loving time. Very happy that my hypothesis about "the truth" was proven. Tbh there is that one line when you finish the December mission which leads to Alex saying something like "try it again" which made me think Alex was a Typhon clone all along but I kept second-guessing in the end. I love the themes of identity and cascading this against true self, preservation, humanity, etc and the way you're lied to reminded me of things like Bioshock or even MGS2 in a lot of ways. Combat and exploration were frantic and hurried in the last leg of the game but at 25 hours I did a lot by then and didn't mind too much about mad sprints to finish things up. Definitely one of my favorites of the year; I'm sad Colantonio left but this was a great swan song to leave Arkane with.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Lt. Danger posted:

I liked it a lot, thanks. System Shock 3 is a pretty apt way of describing it, and I appreciate how much clunkiness has been ironed out of the SS2 formula.

I think other people have covered most points - great level design, great incidental writing, GLOO gun is fantastic, could do with a few more weapon/enemy types, main plot a bit overlong, Nightmare needs to learn how to duck. Ending is fine if abrupt and it's kinda funny how "dream" endings are usually deployed to get out of Superdickery-style cheap shock stories, an easy reset to the status quo - all the thrills with none of the spills - but in Prey, the opposite is true, and the "dream" ending is used to up the stakes and make things worse.

this is a great way to look at it and was my take on why the trope at the end was actually handled really well. It's basically saying that this previously thought feral lifeform has greater sentience than originally thought. Alex asking "can you understand us" and the option to shake his hand spoke volumes to me, and was kind of hosed up that after you went through this Inception-level event of people telling you who you "were" and who you "are," the Typhon Morgan still could rationalize and choose to go against a destiny or a history of its "self." As far as "you're a clone/it's all a dream" poo poo goes, Prey definitely did it well even if those themes have been utilized a lot in fiction lately, especially from MGSV.

I'd absolutely say that everything you did mattered because it confirms so many things on the capability of your character and how willing you were to go against what you thought was or wasn't true and offered to you throughout the game.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

plape tickler posted:

I seem to have missed what happened to the real Morgan. Blowing throw the game without reading many of the messages probably contributed to that deficiency. Really enjoyed the game though, ran super smooth on my pc too.

I don't think that is ever touched upon but I assume real Morgan failed in doing whichever solution he was doing,
or got hosed beyond repair by Neuromod therapy
. I don't ever recall anything in the game touching upon that fate.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

hell, I question even the fact that the world is overrun by Typhon. The entire game is just one layer peeled away after the other, who's to say this isn't just another ruse to incite you to do a thing.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Sounds like what happened in Prototype 2, ironically another game about becoming a mutated gently caress

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Holy poo poo, just realized now that in light of the ending, these "survivor account" datapad things might be a reference to the actual Typhon invasion maybe?. ?? Otherwise I really did not understand what those 1 or 2 survivor accounts were talking about unless I missed something

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ah ok, thought it was a "glitch" in the system that referenced the future

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

try not to inject a "the original Prey was loads better than this poo poo" statement in your review because it immediately gives away how loving dumb you are

I had no idea so many people magically gave a poo poo about that game until this one came out, ironically

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Are they actually supposed to be at all related? I mean I thought the first Prey was OK but I was a little confused at the title of this one.

they aren't at all which makes it even more laughable. People wanted a true sequel to this weird janky original Prey and were disappointed with what they got. Tbh it's Bethesda's fault shoehorning it in but if it's an Arkane game you could call it Half-Life Infinite and I'd still play it

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

it's interesting to see how people react to the ending when or if they never bothered to do the December "ending" as I feel that was what ultimately set off an alarm in my head about what was going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

been watching my gf play this for the first time ever and she's approached it the opposite way I did lol. I was very dependent on psychic powers; she rushed weapon upgrade/gunsmith stuff and jacked up the shotgun to max ASAP. She basically destroys most enemies with it and treats the game like DOOM, got Psychoshock later on for crowd control. I never prioritized the gunsmith/upgrade paths since I wanted to be Mewtwo but holy poo poo, it's very viable in this game.