Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

There's website where you can apparently get the game on steam for like half price. I don't know if it's okay to post or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Digirat posted:

If it's G2A then steer clear.

It's called cdkeys.com. Apparently legit. And sorry I'm bad at math. It's more like 38% off.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

So does anyone have any combat and exploration advice?
I'm trying to meticulously sweep every area for plot details, items, resources and I swear I think I'm missing out on a lot.
Sometimes I can find shortcuts like in the opening level where I was able to jump puzzle my way to the control rooms.
I also stumbled my into some areas and found items way ahead of what I think was the intended time to find them.

For example in fabrication there was this huge monster I couldn't defeat until I spammed it with recyclers.

What are some optimal combat strategies? I find sneaking to be difficult with these aliens. My main strategy involves using the shotgun or the goo gun to freeze and wrench everything. The stun gun doesn't give me enough time to react to surprise attacks from mimic groups.
The 9mm pistol seems completely useless.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Prey is really good and no one knows about it outside this thread.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Is the only way to enter Mikaila Ilyushin's cabin in the crew quarters by using the mimic powers? The door is busted and I don't want to use neuromods to get in.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

What happens if you do no neuromods at all?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Yeah, the stungun is an extremely powerful anti-tech weapon. I fully upgraded mine. It'll do massive amounts of damage to turrets,technopaths and operators. Everything else will get disabled unless it's immune. Note that any enemy you incapacitate takes bonus damage as well.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Having played the original System Shock as well as SS2 there's some very clear thematic connections and references to those games that feel like homages to those of us who loved those games.

I'll mention the things not already addressed-

-Talos I is basically Citadel Space Station. The only thing missing was SHODAN.
The scope and nature of the station is identical. It's owned by a supernational private company engaging in ethically questionable transhumanist research that could put the Earth at risk. Alex Yu rivals Edward Diego in his lust for power and overall mental stability.
-Arbouretum - this is a hybrid :v: between the SS1 Bridge, Executive level and groves with the SS2 Crew and Recreation levels. You even get similar set pieces and audio logs to recreate the feelings you got in both games when you visited these levels.
-0451 access code.
-Trapped on the station with busted escape pods.
-Power station: You had to enter the reactor core and enter a special code you pieced together from CPU nodes on every level of Citadel station to activate the self destruct in SS1. Similarly your quest to destroy Talos is also station spanning and you also entered the core to arm the auto destruct.
-Getting helped by a mysterious entity Only to discover they're really an AI. January is basically SHODAN and Rebecca Lansing
-Psychotronics perfectly captures the terrifying nature of the sorts of research going on just as the cybernetic manipulation and genetics research of Citadel did in SS1
-Poltergeists are similar to invisible mutants in SS1
-Typhon phantoms Are just like cyborgs and annelid hybrids. The dead are repurposed and changed into your enemies while retaining some of their original identities. It's shocking and makes you feel sick knowing what you're killing was once a living human. The audio logs help you realize this. SHODAN repurposed all the healing chambers to turn anyone who died into a cyborg. The Annelid works slowly burrowed their way into your brain and seized control of you while you're still conscious and trying to tell people to run and get away.

If you look closely at the Talos layout, it's organized similar to Citadel. But was made more easier to travel.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Basic Chunnel posted:

The Looking Glass message you leave for yourself is pretty clearly meant to echo SS2's big reveal, visually at least.

SS2's "the elevator's stuck, most definitely just a mechanical error" is revisited in Prey just as it was in Dead Space.

Oh and how could I forget. The looking glass itself is a reference to Looking glass studios- the makers of system shock and thief.

Through multiple circumstances right up to the early game you are going "through the looking glass" beyond what they developed in the original games into a new generation. Also if you look in the looking glass the grid resembles Cyberspace.

Through the looking glass was also the name of a Fan site for system shock and Thief.

Edit: this is a really good loving game. You're breaking the 4th wall simultaneously in the game and then outside the game as the player.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Lakbay posted:

There's also jellied eels everywhere like Dishonored

Later on when you go to life support you discover the eels are used for waste processing. They clean up the crap in the water before it's piped back up and the mature ones are harvested for food.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

So did anyone find out what a Reployer does?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Has anyone noticed that when you start out you can see the simulation labs label out the windows of the test chambers?

By the way why was Morgan in the sim labs in the first place? What is the purpose of removing and replacing neuromods and running this groundhog day scenario? I'm not sure I ever got a full explanation for it...Why did his personality start to change with each successive reboot?

Asproigerosis posted:

What's the best pro gamer tip for technocrats? They are munching my butt right now.

The stun gun will kill them and other robotic/tech enemies in short order. Fully upgrade one for maximum carnage and ammo efficiency.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

I've beaten the game and one thing I don't understand is what hacking turrets accomplishes?
For me any turret i find won't shoot me unless a technopath got to it.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

In light of the recent ending chat - the alarm clock music is a good bit of foreshadowing.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

I did my first playthrough as male Morgan and now I'm doing female.

In my male Morgan play I found out that he had a romantic relationship with Ilyushin and ended it because he was going into the sim and wanted to spare her the worry and grief of him completely forgetting about her

Who is it if you're female? How does the plot thread change?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Holy poo poo nice! I'm sure there's some people having a massive rage fest about that on forums.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Anyone know what those "the evacuation" books are talking sbout?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

It's amazing how little love the stun gun gets. A fully upgraded stun gun to me is a way better crowd control tool than the Gloo gun. It's also an anti-mechanized weapon that effectively does massive amounts of damage to technopaths. About the only enemy that gives me any serious trouble is a weaver and the Q-beam and combat focus make short work of them.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

There were a number of books throughout the game that you could find detailing on "Evacuation". It sounded like Earth fought some war before the events of the game. Is this ever explained in detail?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Bolow posted:

Because the other escape pods are non-functional fakes and never worked in the first place, Alex's pod is the only pod that's real.

Did they ever explain why this happened?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

where the red fern gropes posted:

thats a cool theory, it would explain why you can throw items so far, unless that's just a zero gravity thing

i think that the typhons are actually sentient neuromods/lost memories. so with all the memories that morgan has presumably had overwritten from repeating the same day over and over, typhon-morgan would be supercharged from having all those lost memories. you know all those Rorschach tests? "what do you see when you see this" well what if that stuff was actually what was in your head?

its weird that a bethesda game has a story that is actually interesting. i blame arkane

still barely into it at this point too

This wouldn't work because the Typhon were encountered long before neuromods were invented. Neuromod development began after the Typhon encounter by the Soviets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Has anyone found blueprints for the nullwave grenade? I haven't been able to fabricate them at all.