Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If it's G2A then steer clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

That would be consistent for bethesda since an unrelated GPU company did a better job of selling doom than they did

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

"Trademark dispute with Bethesda forces 'Praey for the Gods' name change"

:laffo: keep it up bethesda

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

How's performance? Someone post how it runs with their specs please

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Anyone try running this on an i5-2500k? How does it perform?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Mindblast posted:

Yo. with a 970. Got no problems at all.

That's my setup, fuk yeah

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Red Mundus posted:

So I noticed that Prey isn't on the top sellers list which is unusual for a game like this. Am I being paranoid or is it not selling well? :ohdear: This is the System Shock 2 remake I've always wanted and it would be a shame if it flopped!

Bethesda apparently marketed it like crap, just like doom, so it possibly will (they are rapidly looking like a company you don't want to be your publisher). There have been a huge number of other good games released recently too. Can't decide between this and horizon.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The REAL Goobusters posted:

i'll buy u a beer shawn.

Been watching streams of this since yesterday and it looks like a lot of fun actually. No idea where the sudden hate came from, I guess the demo or some poo poo?

They only released demos for the console versions, which reportedly have terrible controls compared to mouse and keyboard. The PS4 version also had huge input lag in the demo. Meanwhile bethesda isn't sending out review copies, so no one was around to say "actually it's fine on PC." So all of the early impressions came from the weakest versions of the game, and bethesda inadvertently shot itself in the foot by not doing review copies.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Can we just buy him an account and an "I make good games" title so he can post here directly

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Actually yeah now that I think about it, it takes all of half a page for creeps to start posting really weird poo poo at them

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

(<1 hour in spoiler) The effect when you break the glass in the intro is so cool. Seriously one of the most impressive little things I've seen in a game in awhile. I love that you can break that kind of glass anywhere and just look through a hole in the world. Bravo on that.

Is there a way to rotate objects in the inventory? These vertical psi hypos are ruining my feng shui

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

this game is so good so far. Enjoying just about everything about it.

I played for a few hours on normal but just turned it up to hard, since it felt like I was getting too many items. So far it feels a bit better on hard. More reason to think carefully but still no bullshit.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bogart posted:

So there's a bit where you turn on the Looking Glass server again. In the second test video, after Calvini's told Miyu to go home, if you're looking all the way to the left, you can see him open a secret compartment. How do you open it?

e: Found it.

He has messages on his computer [spoiler]about wanting a specifically 170 gram coffee cup, and then a scale that switches on/off when it reads 170 grams. Find his cup, put it on the scale next to the compartment.

I tried this so much with every cofee cup I found in the room and couldn't get anything to happen.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bogart posted:

It seems fine to me, 3 hours in. :v: No hiccups.

God, the Phantoms are really loving me up. Heading into Psychotropics now, am I supposed to have something better than my pistol? Haven't found shotgun shell schematics yet.

I'm around where you are and have found these weapons:

Wrench, gloo gun, stun gun, shotgun, pistol, beam gun, nerf gun, +4 kinds of throwables. If you're missing any of that then consider exploring more in the lobby and the area before it. You can get some stuff very early if you look around, and it's really useful stuff too. I've been using almost all of it. This game seriously rewards you for exploring. Here is I think the fastest way to get a shotgun:

There's a door to the police office in the lobby you can't get in right away. On the steps down to it, jump onto the pipes on the left and go through a vent over the door. Then you're inside.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Huh. Could've fooled me. Either way, I too wish this game had the UI customizability, and also all of those difficulty tuning options that the store page says there are that there aren't!

Well it could not have fooled me because this game is to dishonored 2 what a military fighter jet is to a biplane in terms of performance

But yeah it is quite dumb that dishonored 2 advertised stuff like the difficulty tuning options that they did not patch in until quite a bit later, and then they did the same thing here. Don't advertise it if it's not there

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Anytime I try to equip a duplicate it does not go in the slot and nothing happens

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

My biggest issue with it is just the flight controls being non-rebindable. Hours of elite and sublevel zero have made me very used to certain ascend and descend buttons, which do not happen to be the jump and crouch buttons I use in FPSs, which this game repurposes for ascend/descend.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The hacking mini game is not great but at least you don't have to play it every 30 seconds like in pipedreamshock

Prey also doesn't do the dumb thing the new deus ex games do either, where they make hacking something objectively better than just using the code/password you found, which means the mini game is old before you're even through the third level

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 19, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bioshock 2 definitely had my favorite mini game yes. Keeping it 5-seconds-long simple but making you do it in real time where you could still control your character was a great decision

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Fartbox posted:

Can you guys tell me why you're enjoying the game? Just give me a few good reasons why this is a good purchase

You get out of the game what you put into it. It heavily rewards using your head, being creative, and exploring. It's the perfect level of complexity. It's a game with an achievement for recycling yourself.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

scanning your own decoy is the best thing.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Cool detail: You are listed under the talos I lobby section of the crew list on security stations, and it lists your current location as where you actually are at the time.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I read about an "october" but I finished the game and never saw it, what's up with that

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

DLC Inc posted:

thought the game would end after I got called to the office but nope now the elevator is fixed and game is still going. Wish it would end already since now Typhon elite baddies are loving everywhere and the game has become an annoying gauntlet of hundreds of corrupt machines and weavers everywhere. reminds me of the last third of RE7 where all the stealth and tension goes out the window and now you're faced with endless enemies at every single corner.

Max out the stun gun and get sneak attack 2 and you can instakill a lot of junk with a sneak attack, gliding around on your knees with your .25s-charge 15-magazine zeus bolt

If it doesn't take damage from the stun gun then you just use the shotgun instead for the same result, doomguying monsters apart in one shot from the back

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

This game has some kind of system that perfectly identifies which of two simultaneously playing voices you are less interested in hearing, and quadruples that voice's volume

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

The sound mixing in Prey is absolutely horrible. Literally the worst of any other game I've played and that's not even an exaggeration.

It's a shame that such an otherwise amazing game is held back by that.

Seriously, I had voices at about 1/5 of the volume of the sfx for most of the game and still found some voices really painfully loud like that god drat broadcast speaker. A character will scream into your ear with a megaphone as long as their dialogue is subtitled, then their voice suddenly drops to a whisper after that. The same sound effect will randomly play at 3x the volume under apparently similar circumstances.

I've never understood the constant comparisons to bioshock this game gets, in part because prey's gameplay is far more complex and more similar to system shock 2, and also because comparing bioshock's sound to prey's is comparing a beethoven masterpiece to a vuvuzela

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The stun gun is a merciless monster against anything that does not explicitly resist it

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I got 1 call from december and then never saw or heard from it again

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

There is a broken safe that requires hacking 2 to get in, and contains as many neuromods as it takes to unlock hacking 2

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bethesda almost certainly named it, not arkane, and probably did it just because they owned the IP and are very dumb about marketing

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Also play dark messiah of might and magic, arkane's first person donkey kong classic

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You cannot stick gloo to gloo, so you can't play minecraft I'm afraid

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

and that is pretty amazing if you think about it. The gloo gun must have been a nightmare to design around, and they did it without even making 90% of the surfaces in the game unglooable.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I would avoid raising expectations for SOMA too much by painting it as the second coming but it is definitely very good and worth playing. One of the only horror games I've put up with, and it was worth it

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I was annoyed that you cannot start the self destruct timer and then use the null wave device

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

January always tells you the code

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I put dahl in the queue

if you know what I mean

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

redreader posted:

I saw the nightmare behind a door, so I went an alternate route using an upper level in the same area. It never saw me. It followed me all the time though and moved from one side of the room below me to another side of the room. I changed rooms like twice and it followed me into the new room each time. The nightmare has some kind of bullshit tether to you. It always knows where you are and keeps on knowing where you are. It doesn't know how stairs work though.

I think the way it works is that any monster starts moving toward you if it's at 1 pip below detecting you, and the nightmare is hardcoded to be there at minimum once it has detected you at all. So it always gets to generally know where you are, which means if the game spawns one directly after entering, say, the bridge, there can be basically no way to avoid it. It also spawned one out of thin air right in front of me when I went back to neuromod division once.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I enjoy that a bunch of the text you find around the station has to do with "how the gently caress are we possibly going to market these things to the public"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You can get 1 before they're mad