Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I had one spawn in the direction of 4 turrets I had set up there. I came back to find a bunch of chunky chunks and only one of the turrets was broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Things are bad. Could the station get any worse?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Stupid god drat......hhummrhmhmrghmhrrggghghhh......stupid god drat typhon.....neuromods...all of it. All this...crap...

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bogart posted:

He turns into a Poltergeist.

Isn't phantom type just random though? Or he is actually guaranteed to become a poltergeist?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Have you tried holding down the Sprint button? It's supposed to speed you up to 10m/s or something like that.

They're asking for newtonian physics instead of automatically slowing down when you let go of the button.

But unless I missed it, no, you can't do that

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Turn music and voices way down in the options, I had voices in particular at like 1/4 the volume of sfx by the time I had finished the game

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I do not remember bioshock 2 ever crashing but it was some time ago so it's possible I'm just forgetting it.

IMO it's a much worse story and a much more interesting game than bioshock 1. Gameplay about as good as infinite but it's slower paced.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Rinkles posted:

It's still not my favorite thing, but there is some merit to the idea that the skill check requires your attention. The same way how being under pressure will affect your shooting skills, having to concentrate on the actual lockpicking will mean sometimes you can't afford the distraction or have to accept the chance of things going wrong.

This is why it's so good in bioshock 2

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

However, I feel like I'm not really strong enough to take those things down. Is there a trick to being combat effective without Typhon mods?
Fix this

quote:

And mostly "utility" ones at that: leverage, hacking, etc.

With the gun damage and sneak attack neuromods, a fully upgraded shotgun can one-shot every kind of phantom on hard.

Nullwave transmitters are your friend on almost everything else that's dangerous.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

System shock 2 long overstayed its welcome in the last areas and had a terrible ending so that's not exactly the first thing I'd use as an example here

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

HATECUBE posted:

tell me what about the climax in ss2 felt like this. how did escaping to the rickenbacker and crawling through the guts of the beast let you down in a way that made you feel like you were never there? lets talk about ss1 where you kind of just wander into the last room and hit a console and its over with no ramp. thats the real linear powerband. no climax, no indication... you just hit 5k RPM and the trip is over.

I didn't say SS2 had the same problems as prey but a combination of going on for way too long and a terrible end boss + cutscene make it a game I would never bring up as an example of an ending done better than anything else

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Or beat the poo poo out of it instead of cowering like a tiny baby and watch as you are showered in delicious exotic material, ripe and ready to stab into your eye

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Gadzuko posted:

Did they even market this game as anything? I randomly started getting emails about it, I think because I signed up for a Prey 2 thing years ago. I totally ignored it until I read the RPS writeup on it and realized what it was. A lot of people who came into the thread post-release seemed totally clueless that the game even existed until just then, let alone that it was a System Shock clone. It feels like they just shoved it out the door and wanted it over with after how long it was in production. We haven't heard a peep about DLC as far as I know which is fairly abnormal these days.

Remember that Bethesda is so trash at marketing other studios' games that an unrelated graphics company did a better job of selling doom 2016 for them than they did. I'm pretty sure if you made an RTS game they'd try to sell it as some kind of story-driven twin stick shooter.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Rinkles posted:

What did online gaming do to cinematic RPGs? You're thinking Anthem/Destiny?

It's sad to think we're in middle of another System Shock 2 situation. A game the general public will only appreciate in hindsight and from a distance.

I don't think the typical member of the general public has played SS2 anyway, so it mostly has the reputation it does due to the (relatively) small but loud group of people who have played it. This kind of game just might be cursed to be a lot more niche than it seems like it should be, regardless of how influential the games are. Wikipedia says of SS2 "Despite critical acclaim, the title did not perform well commercially;[59] only 58,671 copies were sold by April 2000.[60]" Even by 1999 standards, that seems tiny for a game that influential. It's pretty safe to call it a cult classic.

Basic Chunnel posted:

More or less. Single-player RPGs are basically the domain of the indies now. Bethsoft proper might be the exception but it's hard not to imagine they won't try for some sort of asynchronous Destiny / Dark Souls mechanic for their next tentpole.

I mean bethesda's most recent RPG was already their least RPish one yet, so it's not hard to believe that they'll keep going in that direction

e: But I feel like you are seriously forgetting the witcher 3 here

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Dishonored 2 had "almost no testing?" The performance was horrible but it was incredibly bug-free on release. I can think of 1 bug and 1 crash in the entire thing that I knew about when I played through it, before it had any patches.

Prey was also extremely well-tested, although the one big problem it did have (the save corruption) was serious. But with how often games are released either unfinished or practically broken these days, I'd say whichever company did the QA for these games (arkane or bethesda) did a really good job.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

To subtly let you know that you can stop fans with gloo

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Reading/listening to earlier previews, on top of the trauma system (crippled limbs/burns) weapons originally degraded or had some way of breaking, and the Repair skill would let you fix them. I always felt Repair was somewhat underrepresented even if it's still useful. The skill balance in general is a bit off IMO, maybe because it was designed w/ the trauma system in mind.

Breakable weapons would conceivably also give a lot more purpose to weapon schematics.

This actually explains a lot. I was pretty confused as to why I kept finding schematics for weapons long after the game had started placing the weapons themselves in plain sight.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

he's an escaped "volunteer."

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

All the bioshock games, especially 2 and infinite, are much better shooters than prey. However that's largely all they are, while prey gives you a huge toolbox and shooting dudes is just one option.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

DLC Inc posted:

lol you thought Infinite was better. A game where the powers might as well have been grenades or guns

Yes, grenades and guns are well known for slamming you into enemies like a mass effect vanguard charge, putting up a bullet shield, pushing away or pulling in enemies, or converting enemies to your side.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

DLC Inc posted:

none of those things are "control an army of rats, then become the rats"

They're also absolutely nothing like what you implied they were.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

PSA for anyone arguing with that poster, check their rap sheet for posts in the mass effect andromeda thread. It's a troll.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Shockeh posted:

Infinite just isn't in the same genre. Infinite is a lovely game to play through, but it's not a 'Sim' in the vein of Prey/DX/System Shock. (I'd argue none of the Bioshock series are really, they lean way more heavily into the FPS space, limited methods to approach events, etc.) and its just Infinite is right into the 'corridor shooter' end of the spectrum. It's got more in common with DOOM in that regard.

They're just different games for different reasons, with different appeals.

This is the truth. You could tell bioshock 1 was going for something different than system shock solely from the fact that it had no inventory system, and the rest of the games continued that. The series is all pretty straight FPSes, and that's fine. Prey is far closer to system shock 2 than bioshock and I thought the reviews calling it a "bioshock clone" were absurdly dumb poo poo.

Not sure why people call infinite a "corridor shooter" when the majority of its fights are in wide open areas with verticality and player mobility options.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

They actually unlock at something like 80%, I think they just didn't update the achievement text.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It's a gameplay abstraction

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

SOMA is great and well worth playing, but it's definitely not much like prey. It's a straight up horror game, not a mechanics-driven thing like prey.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I never found him either for the same reason so I never even knew there was a double jump in the game

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

please do not actually tase your irl computer during a power outage to try to turn it back on

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

you put the electricity in the computer and it turn on

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

power went out so i put battery in the computer. But not enough battery?? help

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Honest Thief posted:

I'm doing my first playthrough on hard, and having a hard time with these big rear end turret operators who are corrupted and spawn lightning balls of some sort. Most of my guns don't seem to damage it, should I just load up a bunch of EMP's and wack it with my wrench?

Gloo + wrench is your friend. If you explored well you will already have a stun gun that ruins them, otherwise you'll find one sooner or later. Operators take less damage from bullets so don't waste gun ammo on them

But if you're referring to a giant purple ball thing and not an operator (can't tell from your post) then you actually want a nullwave emitter, which cripples it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Shockeh posted:

Dunno, Metro: Last Light would probably like to have a word. I don't have arachnophobia and it still managed to gently caress me up.

Those spiders didnt really feel like spiders to me. I don't remember them ever climbing on walls. They're good enemies though.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You can also use the nerf gun if I remember right
We are talking about the sputnik in a compartment in the floor in hardware lab right?

e: hacking is a bit too good. There's a very in-the-way safe that is xxxxed out, needs hacking 2 to get in, and contains as many neuromods as it took to get hacking 2 in the first place. It's pretty early on so hacking 2 is practically free. But I guess hacking being too good is the truest homage to system shock 2 this game could pay

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 21, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah they aren't supposed to attack you there since they can't get to you, I think the friendly-looking health bars are just a quirk of their AI being set to stop them from trying to attack you until they manage to havok through a wall

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Neurosis posted:

A lot of people hated the ending. I thought it was great and elevated all the other plot, choices and worldbuilding.

I thought it destroyed all the other plot, choices and worldbuilding.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The ending tells you that all the consequences of your choices weren't what you actually experienced, and that they actually only mattered for reasons that you will not get to see yourself. Any part of a story that can be phrased as "and it was all a dream" flips you off proportionally to how invested you were in that part of the story. In prey, that's the entire story. It ends by telling you that none of the poo poo you did mattered, except in extremely indirect ways that you won't see because now the game's over.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Lt. Danger posted:

The same could be said of all videogames.

No, most stories don't end by explicitly going out of their way to tell you that the entire rest of the story meant fuckall within the setting. It tells you that it potentially might mean something later, except you won't experience any of that because *sequel bait* so why should you care?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

Digirat, since you, obviously figured out the twist and manipulated the system so you could KILL THEM ALL, why does it matter whether the rest of it mattered beyond giving you that opportunity? It was a test, and you passed, and the things you did in the simulation were real enough to alter the course of outside sim reality.

Seems real enough impact wise to me

I'm not sure what you're saying because I took alex's hand, except I did not care about that choice because it was the last moment in the game and I knew I wasn't going to see any of the consequences of it at that point. You go through the entire game to get told that none of the poo poo you did actually happened (the fact that similar events happened to a real morgan does not change this or make your actions have any meaning), humanity got hosed in the end one way or another, but things might be able to be salvaged now? Maybe? You don't know whether or not even that one last decision matters or not, because the game's over as soon as you make it. And every single thing you do over the course of the game is meaningless except to very indirectly decide whether or not you even get that one choice.

The ending itself is presented extremely well with the same writing quality as the rest of the game, but it comes as close as it can to invalidating the entire rest of the game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Mulva posted:

No it doesn't. The entire rest of the game is a series of morality tests. That's it. Do you save this person, do you kill this person, do you own up to what someone not even 'you' did, do you run away the first chance that you get. The entire point is to see if you *can* operate on a moral level, which makes what your personal morality is secondary. As long as you have one, it was all worth it. The starting thesis was that you can't. The events of the story happened, by and large, so they aren't invalidated by finding out it was a test. They are still the history of the world, the events telling part of the story of how we got to where we are. All those people were real, and broadly did what you saw. *You* had no impact on what happened to them back then, but you can give their experience meaning in the now. Earth is lost, and there is no super weapon to kill the Typhon. Either they can be communicated with, and some common ground can be found.....or they can't, and humanity is doomed. It's understated, but taking Alex's hand or not is really the climax of the human species. Either we found a way to overcome and reach across species barriers, and there is hope.....or we didn't, and there is no hope. What happens after is just follow through, the extermination or rebirth of the species.

Again, the fact that a real morgan experienced things similarly to you doesn't mean anything because that's not what you experience in the game. It's history and I'm not sure why people bring that up, I don't see how it changes anything. Then, whether or not that one real choice at the end means anything at all is unknown because the game's over, and the best you're left with is "maybe it will matter somehow." There is no guarantee that getting one single typhon to take a human's hand, after invasively forcing it think more like a human in the first place, is actually going to accomplish anything in the end (prey is not an idealistic game). there are still way too many unknowns about the situation for that to even feel like an accomplishment to me. You don't know whether it's "the climax of the human species" or if it means nothing, because the game ends the instant it happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

Your logic should apply to any game with "canonical" choices; developers decide all the time that only certain choices are the "correct" ones, such as when a sequel gets made. Does that mean that the choices in those games also don't matter?

When you were making the choices, did it feel like they mattered at the time? Is that what not actually matters?

Does a choice in any game at all actually matter?

What are some games where that happened? I can't think of any games I've played where that happened and the choices/story were important enough for that to substantially change anything. I also don't see how a choice being made "canonical" outside of the game itself is the same thing as a game's ending telling you that nothing you did mattered for the reasons you thought it did, or even happened at all--I'm not sure why you're asking that as it doesn't seem very relevant to prey. My problem with the ending is broader than choices, because it makes all of your actions over the whole game fake, not just your choices. Your accomplishments are robbed of their purpose and made hollow when an ending says "everything was actually just an elaborate test where 1% of the things you did were important and the other 99% meant fuckall because not only did they never happen, they had no bearing on the real world either." Again, anytime a story does something like this, it is a middle finger proportional to how invested you were in any of the stuff that turned out to be fake. I was pretty invested in it because prey is really well written and acted.

If you somehow managed to sleuth out exactly what was going on early in the game (and I'm not sure there are even enough hints to do this without some leaps of logic at that point) then I bet the ending feels pretty cool, because you'd already know that everything you're doing is meaningless except how you treat the other people on the station, and the ending would validate you for figuring it out. I however did not Professor Layton that fact out ahead of time, and do not think it's cool to intentionally reduce the entire game to an extremely small subset of things the player did.