Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

fist bump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Prav posted:

alex's line about "looking down on you, with gratitude" is hilarious. the yus are awful, awful people.

transtar deserved every bad thing that happened to it

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

she deserves it

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Are "allied" enemies busted? I had a thermal phantom I raised with phantom genesis and a mind-controlled thermal phantom on my side that refused to attack enemies standing right next to them and did nothing but follow me. Their thermal field still did damage to me and broke equipment though :thumbsup:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

PSA: On the volunteer's story mission, do not hit anything with a blue health bar.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If you get killed by a harvester it tells you roughly how much of each material you recycled into, and it has lists no exotic material despite injecting a lot of typhon into my eyes. fix your busted game arkane!!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

MikeJF posted:

I started with Mooncrash. I dunno, I loved Prey, but this might not be for me. I enjoyed playing Prey very... slowly and meanderingly. No pressure to move forward except on my own decisions, kinda zen, wander around everywhere poking things from every angle, and when I do go forward, setting everything up perfectly.

I went back to my main game after finishing mooncrash and it's definitely a much better experience. Mooncrash is a weird experiment and props to arkane for trying something different but it's incoherent.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You need to make your ammo go further, not burn through more ammo.

On the top difficulty with no relevant upgrades, a phantom can be killed by sneaking up on it and charge attacking it with the wrench, waling on it while it’s knocked over, glooing or stun gunning it when it gets back up, and then finishing it with the wrench. It will cost 1 stun gun shot or less than 10 gloo to do this. An operator can be killed with 1 stun gun shot and some wrench whacks.

Enemies take a lot more damage when they’re stunned or glooed, and stealth attacks will multiply your first hit by 150% (up to 250% with upgrades). If you’re fighting something bigger than a mimic by just shooting it with the pistol or shotgun until it’s dead, you’re burning through way more resources than you need to. Later on in the game that works but early on you need to play smart.

Getting the firearms skill or the skills to let you upgrade weapons more will also get more value out of each bullet. I suggest picking up the first rank of these before too long

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 11, 2018

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Unless you are exploring super thoroughly and also managing to burn through all the items you find from doing that, I don't think you need to restart.

Before you move on from an area, check your map and see if there's any parts of the map you haven't visited yet. If you visit everywhere you can reach in a map (and you can often reach way more than you think you can via gloo/other cleverness) you will get way more supplies. There's a huge amount of stuff hidden through the game and you'll eventually be overflowing with EMP grenades, gloo ammo, pistol bullets and more that you can't even use if you clear the maps out. You'll get more neuromods and fabricator cubes from this too.

Technopaths/telepaths specifically--you always want to hit them with a shock attack or nullwave specifically. They pretty much become helpless if you do, and can be Q-beamed to death in that time. There are powers that can shock or nullwave them if you're low on inventory items to do the job

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Maybe I’ve never been dedicated enough but making a recycle pyre never felt like it got me enough stuff to be worth the trouble.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I think that mission adds a bunch of enemies that are supposed to be friendly to you but all the stuff that already existed will still have a red health bar and try to kill you, so it’s safe to kill them. It only failed me if I hit something with a blue health bar.

It’s a terrible mission from start to finish though

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Typhon spores are the key, and if you're the volunteer then superthermal/kinetic blast will ruin it. I never tried typhon lure + 3 stacked superthermals on top of the lure but it wouldn't surprise me if that instakilled it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I mean that's usually the best way to use it, triple stacking it as a trap is only that great for moonshark/nightmare.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I think it automatically gets out at enough corruption.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

double nine posted:

Oh I know that, as one of them surprised me while I was q-beaming a sandshark and oneshot me like a jerk. I was just wondering if and how to farm that particular one for exotic materials.

Not sure how exotic materials are limiting you in mooncrash. It's like an inverse of the main game. I'd have 30 purple cubes but be scraping for the grey and orange cubes I needed to actually make neuromods with them. Eventually I was just ignoring the exotic material bits on dead enemies to leave room for wires or whatever.

I really wish inventory size upgrades were available on every character instead of just one.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I rush necropsy and recycle amount because the sooner you get them the sooner they pay for themselves.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Are they adding prophunt?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sometimes the pet mimic randomly makes a loud noise that sounds like like an evil mimic transforming. I don’t know if it’s just to make you jump or what, but it sure works

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

TheLastRoboKy posted:

They didn't mention it in the tweet since it's not part of the established content release schedule they originally listed for Mooncrash, but they added the Operator skin chosen via donation competition from the Summer Games Done Quick 2018. It was a choice between "Save the Typhon" and "Kill the Typhon" skins and the former won. So hey, don't want a videogame skin for your Mule? Got you covered. It's cute as heck too.

I donated for this, glad it made it in.

Tbh the cosmetics are nice but coming too late unless they’ll usable in prophunt or something (maybe your playable mimic can wear the hats in that mode). Most people will have already finished mooncrash by now.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Prophunt when

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The whole yu family are villains

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

CAPTAIN poo poo posted:

I really like immersive sims. I've played Prey, the System Shocks, Dishonored, Arx Fatalis, and Deus Ex. Are there any other games in this genre?

Dark messiah roughly fits

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

cubicle gangster posted:

I think i'm going to pick this up.

I dont usually install games on my SSD, but I seem to remember some load time complaints with this - although maybe that was just the ps4 version? I never take issue with 10-15s load times in games.
In short, is an SSD install mandatory on this one?

Not mandatory at all. but the large number of loading screens near the end of the game will bug you more.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

SS2 should have ended after the rickenbacker, I kept thinking I was at the last area and then it just kept going and going (to 1999 first person platforming on giant moving teeth)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ending's really bad, but it doesn't ruin all the unrelated good things about prey.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I had 20 hours in MD before I left prague for the first time to go on the first non-intro mission. My brother told me he did the same thing when he played it. while the hub being that detailed and intensely packed with secrets seems like a good thing, there’s a point where it ends up kinda breaking the game’s economy because you can just freely amass countless supplies at the very start of the game. it also interferes with the pacing because if you can keep going through secrets and new things to explore in front of you, there’s no mechanical reason not to, so there’s not really a balanced tempo to how long you spend in and out of missions in the game (it’s very frontloaded). I think there’s probably a sweet spot for how long exploration and secret finding should take, which I’d say dishonored 1 probably hit the best due to its art style making lootable things visually stand out and not going too overboard with every single random room containing sixteen little things to find.

MD’s still a hair underrated though.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Jan posted:

Bioshock Infinite was fun as long as you treated it like a theme park ride with shooty bits, basically like a first person Uncharted. Of course you'll hate the game if you expect it to be an immersive sim. :shrug:

The gameplay was good for what it was but it’s not surprising people expected something different from it given its predecessors. not that bioshock 1 and 2 were exactly faithful to their spiritual predecessor themselves (IMO out of everything that gets referenced as an “0451 game” I would say the bioshocks qualify the least and just do not go in the same bin as the deus exes, system shocks, dishonoreds and prey 2017)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Floodixor posted:

I do really like dishonored, but it seems so aggressive in its hand holding that I feel like a CNN newscaster with how much text is constantly blasting me in the face all the time.

edit: SNYPE A PAGE (big animation of a box getting checked with an X and playing a loud slashing sound)

You can turn off just about all that poo poo

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

people rightfully talk up level 4 and 7 in particular in dishonored 2, but I think everything except the first and last level is genius & shouldn’t be overlooked. It’s arkane’s best game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Serephina posted:

If we're doing Dishonored talk: Just finished first plus DLCs, great fun. It was clear from the moment I met Emily in the intro level that she'd be the protag for Dis2, based off of nothing but the face logo (no spoiler from that yet). Corvo was a totally blank slate protagonist, which was a waste imo. Daud in the DLC is much better, all you need is a gravelly line or two to really bring a character to life.

I'm not sure if I'll replay it all for high-chaos before playing Dis2, but if I do it'll be with a lot of self-imposed restrictions to make the game feel more organic. Like no DetectiveVision, no saving, no UI, and don't *try* to kill people but accept that it'll happen organically as I blunder. I'd do this since I wanna use the big guns and a lot of the cheevos seem truly un-fun to go for. Or should I just can it and go for Dis2 now?

high chaos is very different & generally a lot more fun, you can also scoot through the game way faster in just a few hours because you actually have tools besides "stealth and tranq darts" (kind of an issue with dishonored 1 and nonlethal's existence whatsoever allegedly being a late addition). it's worth a run to see all the differences, especially since you likely won't want to go back to 1 after playing 2's better gameplay, levels and graphics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Look Sir Droids posted:

What's the correct order? I'll pick these up during the next sale. Not interested in City Trials.

Knife of dunwall first, then witches. the DLCs are a bit odd because they each have one level with very clear cut corners due to reuse of content from corvo’s levels, while the other levels are some of the best stuff in the game, with the last level of brigmore witches being my definite favorite level in dishonored 1

the DLCs actually take place at the same time as the main story and you can hear about what corvo’s doing at the same time, with the interesting touch that corvo is as high chaos as you are