Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
The inability to invert the camera's X axis hosed me, I couldn't fight worth a drat. So I wound up carrying a turret everywhere and plopping it down at the door to any room before running in, getting jumped by mimics, and running back out screaming like a little girl while the turret shot them for me. Thankfully I'm of the PC master race, so my utter inability to aim with a controller won't be an issue once I can use the mouse like baby Jesus intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Grognan posted:

pretty sure that dude has no brother and you're an alien clone of him

My money's on this too. Like the ending rolls and 'Morgan' takes off that big d20 space helmet and holy gently caress you've been a typhon the whole time, injected with human memories. WHAT A TWIST. Sadly the ending on pretty much all the Shock games are rubbish, so I'm willing to deal with a disappointment on that front as long as the game up to that point is good.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

the black husserl posted:

I can't believe that this game replicates the godawful thumping EBM that KICKED IN WITH THE DROP every time you fought an enemy in System Shock 2. I remember when I first heard it and laughing out loud because it completely ruined the game's (up until then) subtle horror atmosphere. Thank god you can turn it off.

Yeah, the first thing I do on a playthrough of Shock 2 is turn off the music. It makes the game immediately and vastly better. Walking down a hallway in dead silence but for the hum of the ship and chirping consoles is very very creepy. Walking down the same hallway with BOW CHICKA WOW CHICKA WOW CHICKA WOW blazing out of your speakers ruins everything.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The tracks are great, they just suck for a survival horror game. The sad jazzy 40s pop and violins of Bioshock fit pretty perfectly; techno's just too upbeat for the mood.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My roommate reported seeing Xbone copies of Prey on the shelf at our local Target. While this sadly does me no good, console goons may be pleased to know that the street date's apparently being broken in places.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
In fairness to Bethesda's DOOM trailer, it better represents how I play shooters than the nvidia trailer where it looks like someone taped down the W key. I play slower to try to avoid winding up being ganged up on and prefer to pick off targets instead of running laps around a room aggroing everything.

The Polygon footage, on the other hand, has no excuse.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jack Trades posted:

What's the deal with the game raising image contrast every time you fight a mimic? Like every time I get into a fight with a mimic, somehow everything gets darker and results in mimics blending into literally any surface.
Is that a game mechanic or an unfortunate visual effect or what? I cannot see what I'm fighting.

EDIT: Also jesus loving christ, the "objective updated" sound isn't supposed to startle the player more often that god drat enemies. Why is it so freaking loud and sudden?

There's a status condition thing in the game, one of which is fear and countered with booze. I suspect the weird graphical thing around mimics is that condition.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I kinda called it, but think the ending was fine despite the huge telegraphing they do through the game. I find the shocklikes are much stronger in the feeling they evoke through the gameplay than in their storylines, and Prey has a really strong environment that stands up well with its peers. Especially in how it diverges from the "loving everybody is dead" setups in System Shock and Bioshock so you do manage to encounter survivors sorta regulary, but it still manages to have a pretty isolated feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The game brings up interesting questions about which you is you, or which Yu is Yu, if you prefer, har har. There're a lot of Morgans banging around:

Total sociopath Morgan feeding people to mimics.
Reckless optimistic Morgan who totes is going to change the world.
Slightly-concerned Morgan who makes October and the pulsewave bomb "just in case".
FILE NOT FOUND Morgan who made November.
gently caress this poo poo I'm out Morgan who made December and plans to bail.
Doomsday Morgan who made January and plans to DFE
You

And it's interesting trying to trace out from various logs and statements which Morgan people were dealing with while you're going through the game. It also raises the question, given how many iterations have inhabited the same body, which one deserves consideration from the current one. The operators obviously align with the one who made them; January even says that you ought to ignore the wishes of original Morgan after you learn more. For my part, I say gently caress 'em all. For all intents and purposes, they're dead, and just existing before current-Yu doesn't necessarily imbue them with any insight or wisdom that your iteration lacks. The person in the driver's seat right now has to make the call off of what they can put together out of the whole clusterfuck.