Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

1stGear posted:

The actual reason not to buy this game full price is that Bethesda has an official policy of not sending review copies out any more. Sucks that good developers are attached to an aggressively lovely publisher but welp.

It's a lovely practice for consumers but you're not really at risk at getting a poo poo game with this since the developer is Arkane and they have a lot of good will built up (maybe not for PC ports tho) and the demo shows off quite a bit and unless the game immediately turns to poo poo after that it looks like it'll be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bardeh posted:

I've been watching CohhCarnage stream this on Twitch, and he's still very early in the game but the atmosphere and setting look really cool, and the gameplay was giving me some serious Bioshock vibes. I had basically no idea this game was coming out at all, which is weird because it looks like a AAA game with a pretty hefty budget.

Same but with trying out the PS4 demo instead of watching a stream. Initial segment of the game is pretty amazing and as long as it's not a bait and switch this'll probably end up being a serious GOTY contender for me.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

sexy mouse posted:

Anyone playing on PS4? Is the performance good? How are the controls?

Solid 30 FPS so far, game looks great. Controls are fine, but there's a bit of input lag and no deadzones which makes accurate aiming a bit of a pain.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Ah yes, the good old "Male or Lesbian" trick, otherwise known as a "Mass Effecter"

I'm a little upset that they didn't have Mikhaila be Mikhail if you're dude-Morgan. Having a definitely gay/bi protagonist no matter what would be great and would probably piss off a lot of lovely nerds, though resources aside I imagine Arkane used up their Bethesda-allotted inclusivity points on the protagonist being Asian.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Prey beta update

http://steamcommunity.com/games/480490/announcements/detail/1296319532120777013

RIP all the speedrunning and infinite resource hacks.

I'm sure people will find new ones and even if they don't then most major speedruns will probably just be of the unpatched game.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

CJacobs posted:

This is one of the most diverse games I've ever played, what are you talkin about. Talos 1 is a god drat melting pot my dude.

That's true! But there's a difference between that being present in side characters vs. the main character (that people play as; I'm willing to bet that with Shepherd most people play through as the male Morgan) which is more what I was referring to.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Hexenritter posted:

Imagine the attention their review will get in the face of all the glowing praise it's receiving elsewhere though.

This game's not getting constant glowing praise though. Some people, like most here, love it, but a lot of people seem to think it's quite average. I think that's inevitable for this sort of immersive sim game, though; if you're not the kind of person to really dig into a game's systems and what its actually lets you do you're not going to get too much from it.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if that's the reasoning for their score. It's also hilariously hypocritical given how IGN scores poo poo like the Elder Scrolls.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Red Mundus posted:

Quick yes/no question: Is it possible to complete the game without using any neuromods at all? Planning things for a 2nd run.

I don't need to know if it changes anything just curious for a self-imposed challenge.

There's an achievement for it so I assume so.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Broose posted:

I would have thought more reviewers would know about system shock 2. This game feels pretty much exactly like it, only with a modern coat of paint and even more choices on how to play.

I honestly think games journalists are some of the least-informed people on video games, especially if they're older than a decade or so.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Kontradaz posted:

Just remembered something - there was a bunch of people locked in that IT Room in the T1 Lobby, never did find the keycard to get inside. Has anyone been successful?

From what I read on Reddit there's no actual way to get inside, it's purely there to store a few people who are then spawned into the game if you're on a psychopath murder run.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Earliest shotgun in the game you can get is in the lobby, spoilers follow:

Go to the third floor in the lobby and get to the Sales office, which is roughly above the Neuromod lab (the first level). Grab the nerf crossbow, which should be in one of the cubicles. Go to the entrance to the shuttle bay, and shoot a dart through the gap in the security window at the door unlock button (I crouched against the opposite wall and arced it just above the button). This should open the security office, which has a shotgun and ammo

That's the slightly longer way. You can just clamber up the pipes outside of the office to a vent that leads in there.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Gadzuko posted:

I liked SS2 hacking except for the fact that it was random and some stuff would blow up if you failed, so sometimes you got screwed for no reason. A purely skill based version of that would be good.

My ideal lockpick/hacking scenario is real-time, no mini-game, and purely a skill check, no random chance. Sadly it's rare if ever that all these qualities are present at once.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

Not sure how far I am into the game. Currently exploring the Arboretum. I've found two really powerful Typhon for the first time: Telepaths and Technopaths.

So far I've been playing the game entirely using "human" neuromods. And mostly "utility" ones at that: leverage, hacking, etc.

However, I feel like I'm not really strong enough to take those things down. Is there a trick to being combat effective without Typhon mods?

I've got like 12 neuromods banked up right now and am waffling with what to spend them on.

Also, what are the effects of Fear? I killed a Weaver. It kept giving me the Fear condition, but I couldn't tell what it was actually doing to me.

I recently beat the game using only human Neuromods, and it's very easy to be effective at combat like that. I'd recommend picking up the ability to further upgrade security weapons; a maxed out shotgun 2-or-3-shots a lot of the common tougher enemy types you'll be seeing.

For Technopaths you'll want to rely on the Disruptor Stun Gun (there's one on the upper level of the Neuromod Division if you don't have one). It does a lot of damage to and stuns them (as well as other technological enemies). If you don't have one you can rely on EMPs and your wrench.

For Telepaths you can just lob a Nullwave Transmitter and then go to town with the shotty.

Also if you haven't already pick up and max out Combat Focus. It's probably the single strongest combat ability in the game.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

The ending could have used maybe one more new enemy type, as it is the endless respawning armored laser drones segment seems like the product of a concussion left untreated compared to the rest of the game.

It's been said many times but getting to fight another neuromodded human would have been loving sweet and it feels like a really glaring absence from the game.

God, it would have been so cool if the final part of the game had intelligent humans. Dunno if it's just cause they came off the heels of the Dishonored games, but it really feels like Prey wants to be a stealth game at times, it's just that none of the enemies are smart (or dangerous) enough for it to be necessary.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I was fine with the end of the game plot-wise. It's the gameplay stuff they hosed up. Way too much trecking through multiple areas which is killer on console. Those drat loading screens...

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Helianthus Annuus posted:

There's gotta be something to that. After you're done taking the multiple choice test at the beginning, you get shown a Rorschach test on the computer monitor. At this moment, a mimic seems to spawn from behind the monitor and immediately takes the form of a coffee cup.

Not sure what we're meant to make of that. But my hot take is that even seeing an image of a Typhon is enough to summon one.

Nah, the mimic just sneaked in from somewhere else in the room. Various audiologs and notes make it clear the station was flush with escaped mimics even before everything went to poo poo.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

I don't care about IPs but my personal opinion is that Arkane makes really good games while Bethesda makes mediocre games and if it was up to me then I'd rather not give Bethesda any excuses to boss around Arkane's creative process.

More than anything it would probably depend on what they would be working on for those IPs. Them handling a spin-off/sidequel to Fallout/TES a la New Vegas would be fantastic, but working on a main entry would probably see them being micromanaged by Bethesda/Zenimax to hell.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Doesn't really matter if it's technically bug free when you can't even play it. Running as poorly as it did on a range of really common computer builds would seem to indicate that either their testing was shoddy or that they knew about the problems but where unable to fix them in time for release for whatever reason. Doesn't help that the first level was one of the worst offenders in terms of terrible performance, so people started a new game and immediately knew it was a busted port.

It ran pretty well on consoles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Karpaw posted:

Watch a typical LP of any im-sim and you'll see the player beelining for every objective using the most obvious route and have their minds blown by discoveries like "EMP grenades disable electrical devices". These games are so few and far-between that the average gamer is conditioned to overlook their appeal.

I've been watching a blind playthrough of it by a guy I'm subscribed to and he's pretty much the opposite. If anything he ends up being painstakingly thorough in most areas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z1HMEpfaRY

CJacobs posted:

Is that really the players' fault? The reason that is a mind blowing thing is, as you say, because 99% of video games with the option don't do it, so why would they think to try it?

In the case of Arkane's recent offerings I would say yes, since they straight up give you a tutorial early on telling you that you can "play your way."