Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Haruhater posted:

PROTIP: if you see ANYBODY complaining about input lag, you know they are a Call of Duty playing mongoloid. Prey is a HORROR game: there would be no tention to it if you could snap auto aim at the mimics instantly. The controls are actually perfect: gimped in just the right way so that you can move around just fine but combat is tiring, thrilling and exhillarating.

Just like it should be in a horror game.

:laffo: source your quotes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

GhostDog posted:

These controls with obvious technical issues are actually perfectly gimped in the right way for the superior taste of the old school horror game connoisseur.
I'm sorry, but:

Haruhater posted:

Call of Duty playing mongoloid

QED

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Palpek posted:

All that new players should remember is that if you face a problem ask yourself "what would GLOO cannon do?". You tend to forget that the weapon exists as it's not aggressive enough in comparison to others but it's insane how many different little uses for it the devs thought of.

I'm in my very first playthrough and after the first time they show you some guy trying to escape a phantom over a ramp/stairs made of foam (I think this was in hardware labs?), it has been my default weapon 99% of the time - it freezes facehuggers, it slows phantoms, it puts out fires and lets me platform to new places I otherwise can't reach because I'm not using any alien powers. GLOO gun rocks.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah I used it for all that. I just did the cargo bay door defense event yesterday and only used turrets and sprayed foam onto the enemies, none of them managed to get through the door and nobody died :woop:

If I replay the game it will be hard to not use it all the time again, that's for sure.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Is there a way to kill unconscious humans without it triggering the "humans killed" counter? I thought I was being clever (cook quest spoiler) and tasered the cook after learning he's fake but before he could freeze me. Put his unconscious butt into the freezer and continued. I want to help the Deep Storage lady but she wants me to kill him and I don't kill people. Well, I do if it doesn't count, and apparently just letting him get away after freezing me would have led to a later mission where he suicides which does everything - kill him, finish the quest, keep my no-humans-killed run intact. I guess I hosed this up.

Is there a way to get him killed in Crew Quarters where he sleeps now in a way that doesn't count, so I can complete the quest without loving up my Goody Two-Shoes reputation (ie. :siren: MY PRECIOUS CHEEVO :siren:)?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think "don't kill any humans" does? Or doesn't it?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

Leave him in the path of a typhon.

This seems to have worked. I hit him to bring his health down, then happened to run into a poltergeist. Poor Mr. Cook took a few too many boxes to his head.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I guess for me recycling grenades are the secret weapon I keep forgetting about, instead of the GLOO gun. When the latter didn't seem to help with radiation stuff (specifically the broken canister that's sitting at the entrance of Deep Storage) I actually went to Google. "Recycle them".

:stare: indeed

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I wish I could get the mimic detection V2 chipset that also detects greater ones... Instead I have duplicates of all the chipsets that upgrade all the alien powers I'm not using.

Arkane and their goddamn RNG upgrades, seriously :getout:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Olewithmilk posted:

I got one that charges psi from coral which is pretty dope, don't know if it's random though.

I have that, and one that slowly recharges psi, on top of drinking water recharging my psi after a certain quest. My only power is combat focus, so that's... good?

But I'm sure if I wasn't playing exclusively with human neuromods, I wouldn't get any of the cool psi chipsets in the first place. Surely this would make me change my gimmick run halfway through the story in order to adapt to my RNG upgrades instead of feeling slightly gimped while going on with my alien powers murder rampage.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Good timing, theoretically. I just played through the game for the first time in a pretty completionist fashion. Once it gets going it's great for a long time and I'd enjoy more of that Prey. Not the early Prey, though, as I really disliked the beginning when the difficulty is all wrong - you're still getting used to the mechanics while you can hardly take any damage and have no good tools to deal with enemies quickly, but I don't think this will be a problem in an expansion.

However, what really soured me on the entire game and makes me not want to play again at all is the end sequence from triggering Dahl all the way to the awful twist ending. Moon base does nothing for me - yes, it's me, I'm the typhon!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I would have liked it far earlier.

By the time I got the quest and finished it, I could kill Nightmare during a single combat focus at max range with a tad more than one Q-beam charge. At that point the only "hard" part of Nightmare was having to check on my friends in cargo bay every time in case the thing spawned there while I was passing through.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I never encountered fear, although I got a bunch of chipsets mentioning it :thunk:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

3Romeo posted:

That's the same thing that makes the screen go white and grainy, right? I just figured it was mad weaver brains

Oh I guess I encountered that, actually. But I killed 90% of all weavers with my deathray gun before they could actually shoot me so I guess that's why I barely noticed.

Voltaic phantoms and technopaths were the bane of my existence if I hosed up and got hit by their electric attacks, though :haw:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

turn off the TV posted:

If I recall correctly the Q-Beam does damage to each enemy based on their health as a percentage between 100 and 0 instead of actual hit points. It ticks for X percent whenever the beam is on target, and when the Q beam reaches 100%, or its target's current health as a percentage, whatever it's hitting dies. This means that as far as the Q-Beam is concerned a mimic has as much HP as a Technopath, but it also means that a Technopath has as much HP as a mimic. It's really bad against the regular guys like mimics and phantoms and it's great for the tougher targets.

Unless I misunderstand, this wasn't the case for me. Firing the Q-Beam at mimics filled their HP bar green and blew them up almost instantly for almost no ammo. Fully upgraded, I had to fire about 1.2 charges at Nightmare to make it pop.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Abalone Malone posted:

yeah, but i did every side quest i could find.
i got the achievement for finding all the crew members on the station, which must've bugged out because i couldn't get the guys in the IT closet.

It's not a bug, "read all the e-mails" and "listen to all the logs" achievements also trigger before you actually get every single one of them. I assume this is to allow for different playstyles to get the achievements without having to follow a specific path (since a few are behind doors/quests you might not do).

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Walton Simons posted:

The guy just chilled out in Psychotronics as everything went to poo poo around him for me. Scared the poo poo out of me toward the end as I sprinted round a corner at super speed and he was just stood there staring ahead, calm as you like.

Yeah I just kept him locked up and then savescummed a bit to zap him before he exploded on me. Most survivors will eventually despawn and show up as "safe" on the crew roster and he does too IIRC.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Roguelike poo poo, eh. That's really not what I wanted out of more Prey, sorry Arkane.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

BattleMaster posted:

I really enjoyed Prey and I ended up enjoying Mooncrash even more. It fit the randomization into the story in a pretty on-brand way and even though I don't normally enjoy time limits in games, the time limit served to give me a great feel of turning a corner or entering a room and seeing some bullshit and thinking "what the gently caress do I do now" that I haven't ever really had in a game before.

I mean maybe I'm easily amused because I don't play a lot of video games anymore but I highly recommend it, unless randomization or time limits are hard passes for you.

I just kind of wish there was some form of post game challenge mode, but I may just go and play it over again some day if that never happens.

This is why Mooncrash does nothing for me. I want more actual Prey, perhaps by the time we get another from Arkane, Bethesda's launcher it will exclusively launch on will actually be good :haw:.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The first thing I upgraded to hell and back was the Q-beam and I never regretted that. The enemies it's good against are pretty much those you don't really want to fight with gloo/melee tactics. The shotgun works really well, too, though.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Pretty sure there are more than two rooms which require the mimic power to access (there's nothing in them so you don't really lose out on anything, but they're barricaded by debris you inexplicably can't recycle/move with the strength power/otherwise explode).

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

QuarkJets posted:

I'm pretty certain that I was able to go literally everywhere in my No Typhon Powers run. I think there was at least one room that would be easier to access with mimicry but could be opened by shooting nerf darts at a computer screen

No there are rooms, I think it was two but it has been a while, that could only be accessed by mimicry because they're dead ends and the entrance is blocked by debris that's part of the level geometry, not moveable stuff like doors, furniture or anything that could be recycled.

However, Serephina is right, there's nothing important in them so you're not screwing yourself out of anything if you don't run Typhon powers. I just noticed because it's a bit at odds with the rest of the game giving you more than one way to do pretty much everything, and because there are actually tools for situations like that elsewhere that don't work on these specific rooms.

But I disagree that gimmick runs should be kept for future replays, if you want to challenge yourself in a certain way they're perfectly fine and don't really punish you (the game generally feels a lot more punishing either way in the first hours while you're learning how to deal with certain enemies while still gathering the resources/tools to do so effectively).

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I guess being able to shoot him in the face before the trap even happens is a step up. Usually these types of games protect NPCs by talking to the player only through phone/video calls and audio logs until you're supposed to be able to kill them (or from behind nuke-proof glass, like in Deus Ex: Invisible War).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Aren't a bunch of crew tags pointing there, or does that only happen if you're on a specific quest?