Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Just finished this game. The ending loving floored me. I was so conflicted about whether to use the nullwave or explode the station. I chose to explode the station. Shook hands with Alex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I like the ending as simulation as it more closely mirrors the relationship that the player has with the game itself. Morgan's actions are only meaningless in the sense that your actions through Morgan are meaningless, except for how it reflects on you. It also meshes really well with the game's central theme of identity. In general, people get frustrated with the simulation trope when its used to invalidate the player's decisions. However, the ending of Prey centers the story on the decisions themselves. Typho-Morgan is still important, and its decisions are still important; just in a radically different way than you'd first suspect.

Mod edit: use spoiler tags for poo poo like this.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Aug 31, 2017

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Are the Typhon a hive mind, which typhon creatures are intelligent?

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

Digirat, since you, obviously figured out the twist and manipulated the system so you could KILL THEM ALL, why does it matter whether the rest of it mattered beyond giving you that opportunity? It was a test, and you passed, and the things you did in the simulation were real enough to alter the course of outside sim reality.

Seems real enough impact wise to me

Again, saying that the simulation twist makes the story meaningless also implies that the story would be meaningless regardless of said twist; because as a computer game it is literally just a simulation entirely. The entirety of the value that we derive from fiction is how it affects us, the reader.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Maybe both Alex and Morgan used Alex's escape pod. Neither a self destruct nor the nullwave device was used, which is why the typhoon got to earth

Mod edit: use spoiler tags for poo poo like this.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Aug 31, 2017

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Perhaps part of the game's message is that how you treat others is the only thing that really matters

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I beat the game, I didn't get the full effect, since unwantedplatypus blurted out the ending without spoiler tags earlier in the thread. It was still pretty cool though. Kind of want to play it some more over the next few months to get some more achievements.

I mean, if you don't want spoilers then don't read the thread.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

buglord posted:

Finished this game today after 21 hours. Easily the most intriguing FPS game I've played in years. I've been massively burned out from forgetful big budget games, and sorta figured story driven FPS was on its way out. Happy to be wrong!~

Spoilery ending questions/ comments
The ending felt like a wet fart though. I think partially my actions were to blame. After looking at the possible endings, I think I was so concerned about getting the best one that I unknowingly screwed myself out of it. I figured the game's ending was sort of based on your completion percentage rather than certain actions, and in the end I worked on minor sidequests and treasure maps instead of finishing the Who Was January quest. However, it seems like Earth gets screwed regardless of your actions? And, could I "survive" (because I guess I was a Tychon/Human hybrid at the end) the escape if I Neuromod myself with Tychon powers? I didn't touch any because I was scared id get a bad ending...which seemed to have happened even though I took no chances blowing up all of Talos 1 after the survivors escaped, heh.

I'm having some friends start this game shortly, and I think my advice to them and my past self is "don't break your back for an optimal ending, and just do what seems fun".

Also, until like hour 15, I thought Alex was my abusive, arm breaking dad until he explicitly called me his little brother. I guess I wasn't paying attention in the intro :v: Also also, I wish I could read about JFK's neuromod experience (unless he just happened to live to 114 because of a good diet and regular exercise).

As a closing note, if mods ever make it to this game, I'm going to install the one that disables cystoid damage because theres nothing redeeming at all about those dickheads.

something that the game hammers home time and time again is that the why of your actions is just as important as the what. They're trying to test a typhon for empathetic capacity. Scurrying around ignoring what's right in the pursuit of what is optimal/what makes you a winner is psycopathic behavior. It makes sense that the game in a sense punishes you for that

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

Maybe it did summon another one, but it just takes a long time for it to eat a whole planet.

I assume that particular creature is just space borne. The cystoids can't float under gravity and entering atmosphere might not be possible for the apex

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

and Morgan is the spanish flu

Or cancer

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

No, its just a log about a tech freaking out about a part that he tried to put into a circuit in the reactor that turned into black goo in his hands. Later, when you enter the supply room, most of the repair components on the shelves are actually Mimics.

Oh wow. I was dumb and thought that the power surge was so strong as to melt metal into black goo

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Section Z posted:

Dumb luck makes me miss such things once again! "I got it right on the first try :downs:"

Not really, because they are too stupid not to freak out before they ever accomplish that. Or did you not check out the already destroyed shuttle because typhon can't keep their dick in their pants. Though that is one of those things with no marker even when you can see it, until you get closer. Then you get a LOT of markers once you get closer :stare:

I assume that they stay mimicked longer when they feel they are under threat. 10 humans are more threatening than 1 human (and they're not sentient so Morgan Yu's badassery doesn't enter the equation.)

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

That's funny, because I think bananas are our most fragile crop. One disease and they are screwed.

Yes but a space station is very safe from natural pathogens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I want the DLC to be about Danielle Sho