Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Redreader since it sounds like you missed a good chunk of content I would strongly recommend a second playthrough. Especially since saving her gets you cool additional quests and some great npc interactions with Igwe.

Did you at least brainwash dahl?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

redreader posted:

yes, lol.

Also I'm playing it through again on nightmare. I'm about to leave for psychotronics after looting the living poo poo out of the hardware labs. Last time I missed so much stuff....! But this time I'm doing a lot better.

You got the Q-beam, right?

But yeah I'm doing a second run as well and I thought I stripped the station down to the bones the first time through and I'm still finding new stuff. Like did you know that in the crew quarters There's a vent that leads out of the music area into a different area, the pool I think? It's pretty awesome how many times I'm saying "oh poo poo I could have done that instead?"

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Helianthus Annuus posted:

Does anyone know where poltergeists spawn in the endgame? By endgame, I mean immediately before the point of no return.

I missed my opportunities to scan them earlier, and I'm wondering if I'm out of luck.

You can Get poltergeist scan data from Bellemy's computer if you haven't already. Definitely a big boost.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Helianthus Annuus posted:

Does anyone know where poltergeists spawn in the endgame? By endgame, I mean immediately before the point of no return.

I missed my opportunities to scan them earlier, and I'm wondering if I'm out of luck.

Okay, just did a lookthrough of the station for you. There's two poltergeists that spawn if in the bathrooms if you return to psychotronics. If you already have the computer data I talked about, that should be enough

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Thundercracker posted:

The double jump isn't fixed. I just went to the rotating Transtar billboard and got an impact amp.

You want the other guy. go to the same side of the station the shuttle is on, about a third of the way down, and head out into the black and you will find him

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I apparently bumped it before discovering the puzzle and it fell on the floor and rolled under the whiteboard base and it took me like 40 minutes to find it even though I knew exactly what I was looking for

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Kelp Me! posted:

I'm either retarded or Googling the wrong thing but there is a body outside the station with a jetpack upgrade, right? What's his name so I can track him?

Hes below the shuttle around the height of the signs out past the edge of the radiation zone

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I never got to see any of that. The moment I stepped onto the bridge Alex turned red and started running around in circles until the poor bugger got exhausted and passed out.

I just wanted him to get in the escape pod with me

I didn't even know why he was there and the only thing I heard from January was him telling the shuttle to leave without me

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

The intended result is to Mimic the chair.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

All typhon mods all the time every day. Psychoshock is incredible and Mimic lets you explore places you can't otherwise easily get to and use magic powers without the enemies attacking you.

Nothing more satisfying then being an operator and strolling about killing everything with your mind as they search fruitlessly for where the death is coming from.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I played with gamepad and the qbeam was amazing.

Its the shotgun and pistol I never understood the point of on my first run. Why use the shotgun when you have the wrench?

Qbeam us great though and comboes well with everything else since damage done to the enemy still makes them qbeam explode faster. And it doesnt need a bunch of skills to make it useful.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Utnayan posted:

Not sure why everyone thought the shooting was bad in Bioshock.

Bioshock (the original at least) is quite literally the worst shooter I ever finished, in terms of being a shooter. The game had some stuff going for it, but "interesting mechanics" was not among them. Difficulty was nonexistent, the variety was almost all superficial, there was no lateral thinking or tactical component at all.

It was dreadful in every conceivable way, and this is from someone who likes a wide variety of very different shooters. Bioshock had nothing going for it except the Big Daddy fights, and that's not enough to carry the game.

Praise the atmosphere of Bioshock all you want, but mechanically it was worse than prey in every respect, even combat (although I am more than willing to admit that Prey's combat is still pretty lackluster overall)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Of course the real reason I prefer Prey and the original System Shock to games like Bioshock is because they were largely exploration games on top of everything else, and Bioshock (the whole series) unfortunately offers very little of substance to people who like Exploration gameplay. It's a basic set-piece corridor game with absolutely nothing interesting going on in terms of discovery or level design.

New DOOM was 10 times better as an exploration game than the Bioshocks were, and it's an afterthought. The Halo series were better exploration games than Bioshock.

I really love exploration focused shooters, and Prey is exactly that, no matter how bad the shooting is, so a lot of other stuff is forgiven. It also does a lot with decisions and the theme of choice. Bioshock had an alright story (well, up until the end of the "twist" and then it had a whole bunch more story that was kind of poo poo) but had nothing going on mechanically and ultimately that was just really disappointing. It was a story book with bad shooting.

Edit: Actually, thinking about it, I probably would have liked Bioshock a lot better if it was a Telltale-style visual novel, resigning itself to focusing on the one part it actually did acceptably well.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 27, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

The lift has one of the my favorite sequences in the game and if you aren't riding it all the time and miss that sequence you're loving up.

No one expects to be ambushed during what feels like a loading screen, man that got my heart racing

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Use the lift all the time its actually great you just got really unlucky. Only one surprise happened to me all game. Install all neuromods you want of whatever type you want, the game will recognize how many you jam in and recognize it but its not bad or anything just a thing that gets recognized either way.

Also killing mind controlled guys counts as murder so yeah you are a murderer. Tough cookies.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

double nine posted:

Question on Danielle Sho: I've done her quest to kill the fake cook and her person tracker thingie tracks her to crew quarters - but there's no-one there. Is this a glitch, or does she simply despawn after her quest is complete? Or can I find her space-walking somewhere?

She disconnected her tracker before she went outside. The tracker itself is actually in her room, I think. She obviously is not. She never comes back inside the station to my knowledge, but if she did she would probably do what other "saved" characters do and disappear until the escape

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

double nine posted:

Got it - I'm piecing together some of the side-plots as to how hosed up this station was before the apocalypse happened and one thing puzzles me - there is an audio log found on the bridge that discusses how the 'volunteer' shuttles consistently black out for 12 minutes on their flight path. I can't remember anything else that connects to this plot point, can anyone help me understand what this refers to?

It's a damned good question, actually. We know they have another secret facility on the moon, and I originally thought it might be stopping there, but 12 minutes really isn't enough time to be doing that. We also know the volunteers never actually go back to Earth. And it's 12 minutes both ways, right?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

double nine posted:

Wait, what's this about a secret (location not visited ingame) moon base? I missed this.

Its like a core component of the final act twist. Hard to miss. Weird.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Yeah, start on the hardest difficult, dial it down if you you are having trouble, dial it back up if you start having difficulty.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

You can use typhon powers freely while mimicing and enemies wont attack you. As a turret you can shoot while doing so with unlimited ammo, and as an operator you can move about freely while blowing stuff up with your mind and not being attacked

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Can you also fly as an operator? I dont remember but it would make sense. I only used it for making GBS threads around

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Yeah guts has air but no gravity, hence the big fans to keep the air moving and breathable. Shuttle bay meanwhile has gravity but no air.

Positional audio would have been great, I wish this game had it but considerings how badly it did with regular audio...

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Zereth posted:

Yeah for everything else the stun gun makes electronics stop working.

There are computers you can't activate by any other method, though.

Its a bug in the simulation, not a bug in the game :v:

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jul 6, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

The final post credits choice?

It isnt really one that could be presented as other than a direct binary choice, and the dialoh of the ending itself goes to great lengths to explain why. They can only tell what you have done - you are the one who has to decide what it all meant.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Rinkles posted:

It was Arkane's decision to present that choice at all.

The alternative would have been them guessing your motivations or just not having an ending. Why would that have been better than offering the choice?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

So ending spoilers Those who say the choice wasnt meaningful because obviously they were going to pick the obvious certain choice are wrong. I know I am not the only one who picked Kill Them All - I cant be. And it was a choice I put thought it. I really stopped and thought about who I was, what it all meant to be, and who and what I should do. Like others I had figured out most of what was going on prior to the end - the earth being typhonized, the fact you are still in a simulation and its all a test, etc. I had somehow missed that I myself was a typhon though and it changed everything.

Summary: Just because a choice was trivial for you to decide doesnt mean it was a trivial choice and I genuinely love that the game ultimately decided to let me determine my own motivations instead of guessing them for me and getting them wrong.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

double nine posted:

I'm confused why people recommended the G.L.U.E. gun to use against cysts (I'm aware of the best two ways to take them out already, thanks). Covering the nest doesn't seem to do anything when the mines spawn and taking all of the moving cysts requires quite a bit of ammo because of their erratic speed. Now granted we get drowned in glue ammo but I still don't see the appeal.

yeah thats nonsense. You deal with cysts by throwing things and with the dart gun.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

I'm having some trouble with a quest near the end of the game

Dahl was outside of Alex's safe room in the Arboretum, so I stunned him and that's that. And then I let Alex out, and then the Apex Typhon shows up and I have to save both Alex and Dahl. Alex is no problem; throw him in the safe room and shut it. Dahl's quest wants him to be dragged down to the medical bay right next to the Lobby entrance in the Arboretum. But no matter what I do, Dahl dies as soon as I enter the hallway leading to the lobby. It's like clockwork. I can guarantee that he doesn't even so much as touch the walls; as soon as his unconscious body floats over the threshold into the hallway leading to the lobby, he suddenly dies

Since he's on the same deck as Alex, there's also no way to preemptively get Dahl's body down to the bottom floor without killing him; with careful platforming I've gotten him down to 1/4 health right before a precipitous drop, so he's as close as possible to the med bay when I trigger the Apex Typhon event, but as soon as I enter the hallway with his unconscious body he just suddenly turns into a corpse

e: Almost got there: With more platforming fuckery I was able to move Dahl to the medical bay before triggering the Apex Typhon event, but he's still incredibly fragile. Despite having half health, if any part of him touches any surface in zero-g at any velocity, no matter how gentle, then he just loving dies. But this only applies after the first time that you grab him. So I was able to carefully manuever him into the medical bay exactly 1 time out of however many tries, and the Save Dahl objective marked itself complete... but as soon as I let go of him he instantly died, so the objective failed again!

e2: Now I've confirmed that simply letting go of his body instantly kills him. gently caress THIS poo poo

WHAT A BUNCH OF BUGGY BULLSHIT

This was the stupidest poo poo and its just plain broken. I actually tried more stuff than that and it broke things worse. Eventually had to reload to way earlier and take the other path because gently caress that poo poo.

Seriously soured me on the game since, thanks to bullshit loading screens and a lovely final act structure I losy maybe five hours of gametime rewinding 20 minutes of gameplay after realizing poo poo was impossible.

The whole last act is a mess of broken triggers and buggy bullshit, it really sucked. I never got the scene between Alex and January either, I got to watch Alex run around in circles alone until he killed himself on furniture. What a loving joke.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Yeah there are multiple final quest sequences, and a couple of them are broken. Taking out Kaspar first is one of the big nonos even though its the obviously superior strategy based on what you are told.

Also I had both Alex and January alive and hostile to me at the end but like I said I am pretty sure my game broke again there.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jul 19, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

You cant do it and also save dahl without glitching the game

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I have never ever gotten a situation where zero g D doesnt die, even if he hits no objects, often just letting him go kills him. Additionally, if you drag him to the medical bay before the zero g segment the game flips out and sends him off to a far part of the station after which you fail the quest

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jul 19, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

turn off the TV posted:

I'm guessing that the situation I'm the cargo bay plays a larger role.

What situation in the cargo bay?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

turn off the TV posted:

I believe we have found the problem.

If the security officers in the cargo bay are still alive Dahl will disable the oxygen to that section from life support, requiring you to go reboot the system and either knock him unconscious or kill him.

Okay, no, you're misunderstannding. At that point in the game, you are given two options for resolving the cargo bay issue: You can do what you described, go after Dahl directly and reboot the systems, or take out Kaspar to unlock the doors, lock Dahl out of control of the facility, and let them out of where they were trapped. Since January tells you Dahl could kill them instantly if he wanted, I figured if you went after him directly that's exactly what he would do, so I picked the second option. If you do the second, Dahl confronts you in the arboretum instead and the gravity gives out shortly after.

This is where the bug occurs, for at least myself (more than once) and at least some others: You need to move Dahl from where he is floating to the medical bay in order to "save" him. But touching any sort of object at any speed, or even the mere act of simply letting him go after you grab him, are enough to kill him, so the task is functionally impossible on account of you having to take him through hallways and doorways. Even the one time I managed to do it without him dying, the game simply told me "mission failed" anyway.

I am genuinely wondering, for people whom this worked, what was different? Was he just way more durable for you, or did you do something special to move him other than "grab and go"? Did you have all the mobility chips on your suit - maybe that plays a role somehow?

I dunno. But it loving sucked that to get that far and then have to rewind all the way back to before the decision on how to save the cargo bay folks.

bewilderment posted:

You can definitely go for Kaspar first and then grab that guy Dahl who for spoiler reasons I will call 'D'.
The thing is that when everything suddenly goes zero G, sometimes it seems like D will take damage from colliding with objects (just like you can in zero G) and sometimes he doesn't. Once he hadn't taken much damage but the game still refused to acknowledge that I'd brought him into the medbay.

It's buggy, but it's not unfixably broken.

This also seems a lot easier to me than dealing with D in Oxygen Control or whatever, since I can just walk up behind him and stun him. But I had Kaspar turn up in space, so rushing to him and bypassing the enemies on the way was easy - presumably it might be more of a choice if Kaspar is actually located somewhere else.

This is literally how I dealt with D in Oxygen Control after reloading to earlier in the game. I walked up behind him and stunned him. You don't even have to drag him anywhere! He never even notices you show up or acknowledges you, he's standing at the control panel and you just "zzzzzp", done. It was hilariously anticlimactic.

Is that not how it worked for everyone else?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

turn off the TV posted:

You can disable Kaspar before Dahl makes it to life support.

What even happens if you do that?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Cnidaria posted:

The spiders in Dark Messiah can climb on walls which makes them way more terrifying than most video game spiders. I got over my arachnophobia to beat that game though since it's so much fun.

I think Brookhaven is still the pinnacle of "triggering arachnophobia" for people.

Fighting giant wall climbing spiders that can come over any edge in full VR will do that though.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

Either way you get only one hit since the GLOO falls off them when you hit them.

With the wrench you can get a fully charged up hit though, and hitting a stuck enemy with anything already does additional damage. Also you usually have tons of gloo ammo.

The problem is that gloo doesn't stop their stupid magic attacks. If it did, it would be a lot more useful.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Gonna disagree with some posters. Getting extra exotics was great, it was always always always the thing I was running short of on my run because I was constantly churning out neuromods.

This is probably because I also like to fight enemies at range instead of chewing through shotgun ammo - get yourself a Q beam stat. If you have enough repair skill you can get one in the Hardware labs very early in the game. Focus on upgrading that as soon as possible, it and the stun gun are the only weapons you need.

Then grab combat focus and psychoshock and watch the enemies fuckin' melt the moment you see them.

So long as you also grabbed the skill that lets you get ammo from operators you should basically never have to craft anymore either. Synthetics will be plentiful and exotics will be your choke point as you max out every single superpower to increase your "enemies die the moment I see them even on nightmare" potential

Shotgun based security builds are fine and all but theres a better way to really break the game over your knee and it sounds like thats where you are already heading so skip the security bullshit and keep down the road of the glorius beam.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Hannibal Rex posted:

To be fair, between Combat Focus and Psychoshock, you could clown on enemies with a completely unupgraded wrench, if you wanted to.

Psychoshock and Q-Beam, or Q-beam and Combat focus, are also enough between the two of them to clown on enemies. Any two work, on their own. Combining the three of them and then stacking Electroshock on top is when you start getting into the fun territory of "anything I see is instantly dead" though.

Though yeah, clown on the weaker enemies with a wrench just for fun and to save ammo. :v:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Also you can use psychoshock and mimic together to kill poo poo without them ever reaizing you are there lol. Just a sentient tire rolling around blowing up peoples heads without noone the wiser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

SulphagneSocialist posted:

:siren: Dahl PSA:

You don't actually need to take him anywhere. Igwe talks about "having a medical operator pick him up" after you stun him. I never took him anywhere. I left Alex to simmer in the bunker since I expected the endgame to begin, I futzed about wrapping up side objectives, and then Igwe phoned me over to yank the neuromod from Dahl.

Also, I can't believe I missed completely out on double-jumping and activating computers with the disruptor. What the hell kind of video game logic is that. One thing that lead me to missing some stuff is that the back half of the game was wearing on me so I started just blitzing through it; I loaded up on the stealth and mobility abilities and just ignored enemies since I could run and glide my way past them. I never even met Ingram, I never got breadcrumbed to him and the door was shut with no obvious way to open it whenever I ran by it.

This is riddled with not true things. You really never met one of the two volunteers you can meet? I don't even know what door you could possible be talking about but he's the NPC you encounter on your first visit to psychotronics and is nearly impossible to miss. And he's certainly not in the 'back half of the game'.

Additionally, if you fail to take Dahl anywhere in the zero-g section, then he straight up dies and Igwe informs you the quest was failed. Are you sure you aren't confusing this with stunning him in the Air Processing center where, yeah, you don't have to take him anywhere? Remember there are a number of different ways for the last act to play out. Unless you mean this is a new change made in the new patch, which would be great.