Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So I just bought this having played a bit of demo and it being half price.

Did that gun just turn into a loving mimic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean yes it stands to reason, it was directly opposite your office, the real one was round the corner.

I suppose I just didn't expect the pickups to try to kill me. Maybe I shouldn't have started on nightmare.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also note to self, they didn't spring for the super glass on the sixty foot tall bridges.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So I get that this game has a plot or something but frankly I'm enjoying it as some kind of larcenous spider monkey simulator where my immediate response to a new area is "how can I climb up to the roof and steal everything not nailed down?"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's pretty neat. Good if you like exploring, given that the difficulty I'm on makes it quite hard to kill things.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm most short of mineral because I like my shotgun, I've found very little I can't kill by brain shocking it with psychic powers and then blasting it in the face with the shotgun. I keep forgetting to scan nightmares before I kill them.

I am currently transitioning into brainfucking and then clubbing it to death with a wrench so I have more minerals to make more brain juice so I can psyk harder.

Also seconding that a fully upgraded shotgun is awesome, you can kill a nightmare in like half a tube.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

double nine posted:

Yeah, I bee-lined that one for my no-needles run. Made navigating the station a hell of a lot easier.

uuuuh, no? I can't think of any quest that I needed repair for. I might have needed something else specific, like mimicry or telekinesis or hacking, but there should always be other ways. What quest(s) are you thinking of?

I don't know how else you get into the satellite bay.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unless I'm missing something the bay the satellite is in is literally an airlock with a solid door in front of it and a repair 3 obstacle on the controls.

I haven't used mimicry but the door is solid and there's no vents or anything that I noticed? And there shouldn't be because it's an airlock.

The beam weapons lab has a little hole from the recycler grenade lab but I mean the small cupboard in the floor of the main hardware lab with the airlock, it has the satellite in it you need for the quest.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 21, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As it isn't at all clear, for energy weapons, increasing the "shots between reloads" stat actually means "increase the gun's ammo efficiency dramatically" and should be, along with firepower, the first thing you upgrade.

It doesn't just mean you can stuff more batteries into it, it actually means each battery goes further. The game doesn't make this clear at all. I didn't bother with the stun gun for the longest time because four shots per reload was crap, but you can upgrade that to something like ten, it's absurd. It goes down to something like seven ammo per shot from 25.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Aug 23, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Section Z posted:

Thanks for the heads up there. It was clear ammo effiency would be a thing for the goo gun's "stops bsdguys faster" stat. But I figured the stun gun was pure ammo capacity like you said.

Speaking of stun guns? Now, you all saw it right? I was holding a nonlethal weapon. I didn't even get the chance to shoot. His head exploded all by itself.

Not the result I was expecting for that little detour.

The stungun will actually stop that but yeah, I didn't expect it either.

Oh also about the self destructing turrets, they generally won't actually break if you put them somewhere enemies don't spawn, like right outside the entrance to the area. Put turrets covering your entrances and move them if you need them, but make sure to put them back. I think the game breaks them when it wants to spawn enemies in the area and doesn't want to spawn them in line of sight of a turret. It's assumed the enemies broke the turret when they moved in.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Aug 23, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you have two phantoms together there isn't really an elegant way to beat them short of area effect weapons. The combat really does boil down to hitting enemies with whatever thing stuns them and then beating them to death with the wrench, or using guns if you need to kill them a bit faster but basically you disable their ability to fight back and then kill them without using resources wherever possible. Some enemies require ranged weapons because they won't let you get close enough to club them and sometimes you have too many enemies together to kill them with the wrench, so that's what your consumable resources are for.

It sounds like the best solution to your problem would be a recycler grenade but yours bugged out. Other option is nullwave grenade but you might not have any of those yet. You can find them early on but they're rare.

I started on nightmare and about halfway through the game enemies stopped being threatening and at this point I'm just trying to find as much stuff to break down for minerals as possible so I can buy more neuromods. I think I have something like sixty medkits and eighty psi hypos. So the combat does get miles easier once you get more gear.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 23, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well that ending... happened...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's... weird, it's neat how much stuff it pays attention to but it feels basically like an animated, ingame version of fallout 3 listing stuff after you finish it, also it was all a dreeeaaaammm. I kind of guessed that Moragan might be a typhon from the earlier logs, though it didn't make sense with the turrets not spotting you until you neuromodded yourself up, but I figured it would be a plot point somewhere at least.

I like it a lot less than the sequence leading up to it, which is very cool.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Aug 27, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I agree with that last bit, the thing in Calvino's room, the themes of simulation running through everything, messing with your memory and stuff, it's thematic certainly, I just think it still feels like a cop out.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It runs pretty well on my old 660ti, although it looks like poo poo and has comically bad pop in.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Probably the easiest way to kill a telepath is to use a turret. Turns out turrets aren't particularly put off by mind rending psychic energy, owing to not having minds.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DLC Inc posted:

try not to inject a "the original Prey was loads better than this poo poo" statement in your review because it immediately gives away how loving dumb you are

I had no idea so many people magically gave a poo poo about that game until this one came out, ironically

Are they actually supposed to be at all related? I mean I thought the first Prey was OK but I was a little confused at the title of this one.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Digirat posted:

It's too bad nvidia wasn't able to do bethesda's marketing for them like they did with doom 2016, because god knows bethesda can't be trusted with it themselves

I mean I saw the doom presentation at E3 or whatever and it really turned me off the game because it looked incredibly boring quicktimey rubbish purely coasting on graphics.

Then suddenly it came out and everyone loved it and I was surprised and it's actually good.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

Doom 3 and Quake 4 were very bad though, Doom 3 extremely so. It feels like you're stacking the deck

Doom 3, Quake 4, and Prey are all good games?

Seriously I genuinely think all of them are fun and good, I just rebought Q4 on steam cos it's cheap and I wanted to play it again.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Section Z posted:

If you were disappointed in the SS2 Wrench, hoo boy are you gonna be let down by "Will only tickle the weakest mimic unless you charge swing." And awkward decison that you can't chain charge swings, you have to not touch the button for a while between swings.

Wrench can be quite handy, but it's basically "Don't bother unless it's a basic mimic, or managed to sneak up on a basic phantom" With the occasional sneak attack on Etheral phantoms hoping the charged swing knocks them down rather than piss them off. Rather than SS2 "I'm comfortable fighting robot ninjas with this thing" and not having to be more afraid the button inputs would decide I rushed it and gently caress you, we won't let you charge the swing-whoops looks like that broke them free of the gloo without killing him and now he's duplicating.

I'm saying these hurtful things of the Prey wrench as a guy who still stubbornly uses the wrench to saving 9mm ammo against mimics and basic phantoms even when I have a fully upgraded golden pistol and 200 bullets. So clearly it's still good enough to do the job on anything without notable ranged or AoE effects. But boy do I miss my SS2 wrench despite it's overall slower animations frustrating me way back when.

I mean the thing with Prey is that the psy powers give you a huge amount of ability to completely shut down enemies. Nothing quite beat clubbing a telepath to death after you wing it with psychoshock. It just sort of floats there and glares at you while trying to drift away. Stun it for good measure and beat it to death, you can do this with nearly every enemy especially if you put points into upgading your wrenching skills.

It's not powerful but with some mods you can swing it forever and it's free, and enemies have absolutely no ability to attack you if you use your powers right.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

I noticed that with the keycard next to Calvino's body in the space outside of Hardware Labs; you can go collect the corresponding keycard outside of the station, but then if you go back to that window the keycard is still there.

The interesting flip side of that is that there's a technopath in space outside of the Executive Suites as you hop off of the lift, and you can go outside into space and kill that and it'll disappear if you revisit the Executive Suites. But if you go outside and kill it before you ever visit Crew Quarters, then it'll be there again the first time that you go to Executive Suites.

The neuromods in the decompressed section of the power plant also don't disappear if you take them, which led me to a rather annoying trip when I went back down there and thought I forgot to pick them up.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was a bit confused by that but I thought that alex was being mind controlled by the typhon borg queen or something and we were still in the simulation lab.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also january literally tells you that as does its research notes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Throw objects at them, they will chase anything moving and self destruct on it, read your research notes :science:

Though yeah if you don't have any objects gloogun ammo works fine as do AoE psi attacks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The other good option is climb as high as you can, talos 1 has some extremely high ceilings and not all the interior walls reach the roof.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was appreciative of the free loot.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's only two doors and one of them is the airlock so you're gonna need the keycard I think.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If I remember the moon doesn't move across the sky but the earth does. So I would assume it means the station is just orbiting the moon and is rotating such that it's tidally locked to it. If it's orbiting an L point then neither body should move much, or both should move the same way as the station rotates. And it does rotate because the sun tracks right around the lobby if you stay there long enough.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

I found this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JauIpEA_3jc

In-game it seems that the station doesn't orbit a Lagrange point at all, rather it orbits a point somewhere near one of the Moon's poles, which makes no sense at all and is completely unphysical (for the 2-body and 3-body problems). Clearly Alex fudged the orbital mechanics in the simulation

In-game documents say it's at L2, which matches what you see when you first enter the lobby and is a sensible spot to put a space station.

Yeah tidally locked lunar orbit but for some reason perpetually above the equator.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

It's not tidally locked; that would mean that only one side of the Moon is ever facing the station (much like how only one side of the Moon is ever facing the Earth), but that's not the case

No, one side of the station is always facing the moon, one side of the moon always facing the station would be lunarstationary orbit.

I mean obviously the station isn't actually tidally locked because it's far too small for that but it's been put in an artificial matching rotation with identical effect.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 18, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TBH this psi water quest thing never triggered for me but I still had infinite healthkits and psi hypos on nightmare mode so I can't imagine it being very useful.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DelphiAegis posted:

VVVV Edit: Dunk your useless psi hypos into sweet, delicious exotics and shove more needles in your brain, obviously.

I already had more exotics than I could use, I was low on minerals enough that I piled dead operators into heaps and used all my recycler grenades to get more minerals out of them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

IMJack posted:

When military operators start carving your suit up like a drat turkey? And the only effective counter to them is turning them against each other? Every single one.

I mean I just gave up trying to keep it repaired at that point, they don't do much damage so it's easier to just stop repairing your suit and blast them then run to a medical operator.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I tried it on my first go and had a chuckle at the cheevo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nightmares aren't really dangerous, they're just imposing looking.

Frankly all the enemies in the game fit into that once you get psychoshock and the zapper gun, because they can all be stunned and clubbed to death at that point. If anything the most dangerous ones are techno/telepaths, because them fuckers float away from you and you can't brain them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

that being said, why the gently caress would you call it 'prey' of all things? who even played the original prey or liked it?

Me on both counts. Was initially confused what it had to do with the other prey.

It's a difficult sit sometimes as it's a grim loving game but it's a novel shooter.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

I really really like Prey....sort of. What a weird thing to say. When I play it for any length of time I'm constantly on edge, and end up playing Dishonored or Deus Ex (any of them) instead. Anyone else have this issue? I can clearly see that this game is amazing, looks fantastic, plays great, and is great fun. But having head crabs made of shadow-stuff constantly jumping on me makes me so on edge.

It fits really well with my tendency to play very slowly and look at all the stuff anyway, so that doesn't bother me, plus eventually you just turn into an insane psionic death machine that blows everyone up by thinking at them real hard and you start summoning the nightmare just to dunk on it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Typhon powers basically turns you into a walking death machine. It's insane how powerful you can get if you really go out of your way to get neuromod parts and buy all the psi powers.

In the end I was desperately hucking anything I could find into a big pile to recycle grenade it for metal, because I had more exotic than I could eat but I used all the metal making neuromods :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I find it hard not to play with all the space drugs to become a psychic god that hunts typhon for more space drug ingredients.

It's less "what do you want to be this playthrough" and more "what order do you want to get everything in"

Last time I played I was printing operators and then killing them so I could recycle the corpses for more metal to make more space drug injectors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Serephina posted:

That's loving ingenious. About how much do they shell out per corpse, do you remember?

Not very much, but I literally had scoured the whole station for metal and that was the only vaguely passable source left, they pay out more than most trash objects, like maybe 0.3-4 ish per corpse? You can make a big pile of them and all the other operator corpses and then huck a recycler at them and you'll get enough for maybe one or two neuromods. More efficient than just recycling the recycler charges and generally better than throwing them at random clusters of objects in the game world.

I ended up dragging a load of blackbox operator corpses into a pile as well. Essentially exotics are a very renewable resource because you can get them with just psi power, metal is harder because it drops much more rarely, so combined with a bit of ammo fabrication early on I found myself with like 100 exotic and no metal.

Given I don't use recyclers other than for getting through blocked doors (leverage works, but recyclers just delete the barricade :v:) I ended up with enough of them to use them for that.

One thing I really like about prey is that you don't actually need any mobility skills, no hacking, no repair, no nothing. You can get into the majority of places with the gloo gun, recycler charges, and the nerf gun. Mimicry and one or two hacking/repair picks certainly help and you do need them for some areas, but the majority of important places can be gotten to through looking around and using the poo poo you find, and most of the other have more than one solution to getting in so you still don't need all the mobility picks unless you want to 100% everything.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Dec 3, 2019