Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

I finally worked my way through this, after starting back in 2017, getting 20 minutes in, and then forgetting about Prey and waiting 6 years to go back. Wow.

What a work of art. The early game mimic tension. The late game ruin of the coral webbed station. The Trolley Problem(s). Sorry, Shuttle Advent crew. I really felt bad about that.

I went in completely blind, and even though I figured out a fair few of the smaller twists, I thought my Morgan was a clone of the real deal, and not

Valatar posted:

My money's on this too. Like the ending rolls and 'Morgan' takes off that big d20 space helmet and holy gently caress you've been a typhon the whole time, injected with human memories. WHAT A TWIST. Sadly the ending on pretty much all the Shock games are rubbish, so I'm willing to deal with a disappointment on that front as long as the game up to that point is good.

Goddamn Nostradamus over there posting before the game even released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Doesn't even need to be handwaved away, it's just a question of how much you think January was tweaked for this particular simulation, versus whatever they were during the real-world events. January reacts with shock if you (the player/Typhon) help the survivors in the cargo bay by setting up turrets and then clearing out the area. January pretty clearly thinks that's way off base from whatever old Morgan would do in that situation, and comments on how unexpected your kindness toward other humans is.

Now, is that because the simulation is specifically made for a Typhon? Or is it because Morgan is a wretched murderer, and by showing any level of empathy at all, Typhon-Morgan comes across as a more decent person? Considering that Morgan was heavily and personally involved in the murder of prisoners for neuromod material, I wouldn't expect human Morgan to have made any effort to save other lives during their escape attempt beyond immediate self-interest.

And yes, that absolutely comes down to interpretation by the player. I love it. There's no way to know with absolute certainty, all you can do is make your best guess based on what you've seen throughout the game. Much like the Shuttle Advent trolley problem.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Serephina posted:

Well yes and no? There's at least one email from Morgan expressing outrage at the inhumanities, so not all memory-wipe'd Morgan's are acting the same, which causes discussion with the scientists and Alex.
For all that the Typhons needed mirror neurons to experience empathy, it sure looked like OG Morgan needed Typhon material to do the same. The more Typhon material that went into Morgan over time, via neuromods, the less of a sociopath that Morgan became. Hence how the operators progressed from October to January. Started out as a failsafe to contain the experiments, with October clued in to Morgan's plan for the nullwave device, back when Morgan still wanted the station to survive for future use. Subsequently, December was part of a later Morgan's plan to escape the station and expose Transtar's experiments to the public, and finally an even later iteration of Morgan decided that wasn't enough, and everything had to be destroyed, leading to January.

The Morgan who personally fed Mikhaila's political prisoner father to the Typhons was presumably an even earlier iteration.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Tortolia posted:

Given how there are multiple close calls on the station itself before the events of the game (ex. the circuit breaker audio log), as well as people making the trip to and from Talos for neuromod recording sessions, it’s reasonable to expect that Advent was compromised but absolutely not the first or only vector for Earth getting mimic exposures. They had escaped containment well before the obvious breach scenario began.

Yeah, it was pretty clearly a coordinated attack by the Typhons, after enough of them were in place to overwhelm security procedures. One of the audio logs (or an email, I forget) describes a Weaver that was encountered by a maintenance worker during an EVA prior to the big breakout/attack. Obviously, the maintenance technician didn't know what a Weaver was, or even what a Typhon was, but the visual description and the inexplicable fear response made it unmistakable.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Valatar posted:

The operators obviously align with the one who made them; January even says that you ought to ignore the wishes of original Morgan after you learn more.

I absolutely agree with your idea about who the "real" Morgan is. It's your current iteration right up until you realize it isn't.

With that said, January makes imo the single most compelling argument for their worldview late in the game, after you meet Alex face to face,

"Morgan, you anticipated the kind of appeal Alex would make. Sibling bonds. History. You programmed me to refute him point by point. However, we can skip that. A Typhon the size of a skyscraper is currently eating Talos I for lunch. Ergo, Alex is wrong."

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

I only got into Prey within the last month, so I'm glad I'm not the only person who slept on it when I first bought the game.

I had a great time playing without any spoilers at all, so I don't want to deny you that experience. That said, I think it's safe to answer a couple of your questions:

Mazerunner posted:

also there's still a bunch of locked doors in the neuromod division- are those something I can open up/get around now if I'm thorough, or is that plot related?

There are multiple ways to get into most places. Your neuromods can help with that, but aren't generally necessary. You may need to get creative with stacking furniture and/or using stuff in your inventory. Think in three dimensions.

Mazerunner posted:

just kind of seems like the whole 'first day' dog-and-pony show seems a bit pointless if it gets derailed immediately by design but I dunno

The aptitude test may have been derailed, but rest assured, your memories, or lack thereof, are pretty important to you and the game takes it seriously

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Found this out from a fellow goon and passing it on here. If you're on the fence about getting Prey, or if you just want to pass it along to a friend, it's currently free on GOG if you have an Amazon Prime account. https://gaming.amazon.com/home Claim it in the next 24 days and it's yours to keep.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Tortolia posted:

I would still say that Prey is better since it's based on two decades of enhancements to the genre design, but as someone who Kickstarted SS2023 and had basically written off that money I've been extremely pleased with it. Hoping Nightdive takes a crack at a remaster of the second game.

Agreed. I never played the original System Shock, or SS2. I just started SS2023 because of how much I enjoyed Prey.

Since I don't have any nostalgia for the original System Shock, I don't think I'll ever consider the remake on the level with a modern immersive sim - the enemy AI feels nonexistent, the user interface is cumbersome, the environments feel like video game levels rather than like a facility where people actually lived and worked, etc etc, most of which are reflections of 1990s design ethos. But with that said, it's fun, and it's so easy to see the design evolution from SS to Prey, and how Prey improved on so many of the good ideas from SS right up to and including the Recycler.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

ToxicFrog posted:

The recycler is actually one of the few things that's new to the remake; SS1 had lots of random garbage lying around but it was solely there to enhance the vibes (and show off the physics engine). The original also didn't have vending machines or weapon upgrades.

SS2 added vending machines, and in that the recycler is a portable item you get fairly late in the game that lets you turn junk into nanites (the game's currency, which is also used for hack/repair/modify actions and respawning). Prey then took it to the next level with the recycler grenade.

Well dang, now I'm out here googling to figure out what's an updated reskin of the original game and what's a whole cloth addition.

Which inadvertently lead me to realize that the use of 0451 in Deus Ex was itself a reference to 451 as a door code in OG System Shock. I always thought DX was the progenitor.

My whole world is turned upside down.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Marklar posted:

I didn't install any Typhon Neuromods for my entire playthrough. At some point, I'll do another one on a higher difficulty and use those heavily.

I also avoided that on my first playthrough, but after a couple more runs where I played every single mod for good measure, I really only use a couple of Typhon neuromods regularly. The tree that allows you to regenerate up to 25 health every time you're injured is an absolute game changer, and ditto the mimic ability, but most of the others can be ignored if you're good at stealth and/or have fully upgraded guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

I want to do a run without any neuromods at all, but then I think about the nightmare and ugh