Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

hi guys it's me cowcaster i feel like a broken record mentioning this constantly but my brother in law worked very hard on this game (and the original dishonored) at arkane austin and i would really appreciate it if you all preordered 28 copies at full price thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

check out this mondo nerd
http://www.t3.com/features/t3-interview-preys-lead-systems-designer-seth-shain-talks-to-us-about-the-red-hot-new-sci-fi-thriller

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Apr 28, 2017

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

if you buy the game at launch for half price please double the amount of copies you purchase from 28 to 56 thank you

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

wait no that only works if arkane gets a cut which they wouldn't from shady key dealers abort abort

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Tenzarin posted:

Zenimax Elder Scrolls Online, made the game?

they own the studio that did

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i've been trying to hold off on commenting on the whole dishonored 2 performance stuff because I'm obviously crazy biased but it's claimed that the whole fuckup with that launch was due to nvidia releasing some broken loving drivers the week before dh2 launched, and then launching a set of "new" drivers a week later that was actually a rollback that corrected 90% of the performance issues people were having with dishonored 2.

now even I take that explanation with a grain of salt but i did do my due diligence and nvidia released driver 376.19 on december 5th, dishonored 2 launched on december 11th, and nvidia then released driver 376.33 on december 14th, which seems anomalously close together for a driver release and corroborates the story as it was told to me, so maybe it wasn't actually totally arkane's fault

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 4, 2017

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

1stGear posted:

If the first passcode isn't something similar to 0451, no buy.

i don't think arkane would have forgiven themselves if they passed this up

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

this review contains the inaccurate information that the game is made by bethesda but everything else checks out
http://www.clickhole.com/video/prey-perfect-game-propping-open-your-door-so-your--5994

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

here's some dweeboid with some hot (spoilery?) gameplay tips from the pros, brought to you by RED BULL:
https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/prey-tips-guide

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

sorry i called you a dweeboid seth

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i drank too much last night and it's 45 degrees and raining outside so i've crossed everything off my schedule to play some mothafuckin prey

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i would bet a majority of the people who will end up playing this, maybe even some posters in this thread, were born after system shock 2 was released. not even system shock 1

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ok i've got stuck in and thoughts:
-jesus christ i think these guys have made system shock 3
-oh hey, thanks for the tip on the mimic tumors thread i've been carrying a single one around assuming since it didn't stack it was like a 1 and done sort of item
-I WANT TO GO TO THERE

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

not to shoot myself in the foot after getting my offhand comment made into the thread title but my brother came up with the much superior "Ceci n'est pas une mimétisme"

i haven't even gotten the psychoscope yet and i keep getting sidetracked exploring god dammit

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 7, 2017

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Palpek posted:

Somebody please post (in spooilers) what that recycler exploit is.

stick a cube of your favorite material in the recycler bin. split it into a bunch of stacks (bigger stacks are better it seems, i tried splitting off just the minimum amount to fill the bin completely and the returns weren't quite as good). marvel at there being a rounding error someplace in the calculation and the recycle button spitting out basically double what you put in.

Is not killing named phantoms important? I've been murdering my way through them on the assumption once they're a phantom they're a done deal.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i am extremely disappointed with the amount of reviews trickling in that sound like they're saying "well it's got bits of bioshock in there but bioshock did it first so it's just a copycat"

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Lakbay posted:

For people wondering if they should follow the main plot or explore I'd say follow the main plot until after you get the Psychoscope so that you can start research so you can get Typhon powers

i got sidetracked and got the jetpack followed by the c-beam first but it was pretty much on the way, so.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i will admit my one criticism of the game so far seems to be that there's not going to be a utterly useless weapon tree that shows up 75% of the way through the game. what a major design flaw, guys.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I just wanna drop in and say that I applaud Arkane for making the audio logs like SS2 and have them be for the most part actually logical, in both their content and where they're found. One of the dumbest parts of Bioshock was finding random peoples monologues about super secret or important things in a bathroom or some other nonsensical location.
also they keep playing should you happen to open the inventory/neuromod menu to fiddle around with stuff

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 8, 2017

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

CJacobs posted:

Nobody.

And, like, I mean that. You get some minor direction from other characters who are hanging about, and Alex as usual, but other than that your plot direction is completely gone if you blow January and December away. It's the first time I think I have ever seen that happen. Even Oblivion, which prided itself on letting you kill anybody you wanted, outright wouldn't have any contingencies for the main quest if you killed one of the more plot-important NPCs.

not to hamstring prey here because i respect it for having it but morrowind, oblivion's predecessor, let you kill plot sensitive npc's with a little popup "you done hosed up", and included a way of finishing the plot through brute force even if you continued on.

now, as to whether or not a player would legitimately be able to figure out how to do so without consulting a guide is probably more up in the air

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Where the heck can I find the stun gun ammo fabrication plan? I can drown myself in 9mm bullets and shotgun shells if I so desired but stun gun ammo is no where to be found

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i just kept chucking explosive tanks at the one i've encountered to far with leverage 1 and then finished it off with a q-beam

it's actually the first time i've been a little disappointed in the game, i set up this big pile of explosive tanks with a neuroshock mine on top for this super awesome trap plan, but for the goddamn life of me could not convince the thing to loving step on it. foam darts, getting spotted, nothing could get the stupid thing to budge. so i ended up picking up the tanks one at a time and hucking them at its stupid face

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Wait actually I remember exactly where it is . There is a guy on the second floor of the neuromod area

are you sure that's where the plan is? because that's where i definitely picked up the gun itself but i can recheck to see if the plan is on the guy

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 13:39 on May 10, 2017

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

yeah, i picked up necropsy thinking the extra tumors and organs i was finding on critters would be used for system shock 2 style research, extra resources is a little underwhelming.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

cosmic brain: changing literally nothing about the plot, relationships, or character interactions based on gender is actually progressive

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Broose posted:

I find it to be a real shame that this game disappeared off the steam top sellers pretty much the next day after it came out.

it's #2 on the top sellers right now? if you're using the steam client it doesn't show games you already own on the top sellers list unless you hit the view all top sellers button.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Rinkles posted:

SS3 is an actual thing actually being worked on btw (lots of industry vets but unproven studio). Avellone also involved in the writing.

jesus christ they called prey 2 system shock 3

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Kurzon posted:

So you can craft neuromods...

Once I learned I could craft neuromods like any other item I started obsessively scrapping everything in sight to make more neuromods. Arkane foresaw this behavior and the option to craft neuromods is locked after you make a certain amount, thus forcing you to actually enjoy the game. To disable the lock you have to hack a high-level security door to get to the master control. If you ask me, this should have been a scripted event. As it is, you can re-unlock the neuromod crafting almost immediately if you maxed out your Hack skill early.

if you grab the plan early enough you can use the nearby computer to cancel the drm encoding on it entirely in the first place so i don't think that your suggested fix is one they would've cared about

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it's not the same game engine. prey uses crysis, dishonored 2 used an in-house engine called "void"

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i found it completely by accident and realized it must be important since it had a unique name

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Palpek posted:

I think people who miss that it's the thermos must have not realized that you can watch the scene from different screens.

they also might've done what i did and stopped paying attention to the video halfway through because i thought the important bit was over

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i was playing just today and the game said i was picking up 200 ammo from a crafted stun gun, but i didn't bother to actually check how much it was giving me

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i don't think they like stun guns, but more importantly as long as you keep sprinting away from their shock zones they'll be pretty useless. this is assuming there aren't other enemies in the area

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i ran into one technopath way before i got the psychoscope

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I think you're confusing plotholes with details they put in for people who are paying attention

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

RatHat posted:

Wait you can just fly if you mimic an Operator?

yes you can

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

The Lone Badger posted:

Can you fire deathlasers?

I assume so:
https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/prey-tips-guide

quote:

When you mimic an Operator, you also have their attacks, too – each of which can be useful

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 02:53 on May 14, 2017

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Zereth posted:

I've had it kill phantoms in one hit in combat focus.

And by "one hit" I mean I pulled the trigger once.

The health bar of the phantom very clearly goes down about halfway, then a few moments later the rest of it gets taken off.

the shotgun has a physics component to it where it'll send the target flying if you whomp em hard enough, which i think can result in damage after the initial impact

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

my advice is "that doesn't make a whole lot of sense"

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Khym posted:

Prey looks cool. Fallout 4 wasn't my jam, though. I'm asking whether Prey is a similar experience to that (and other Bethesda games).

it was made by arkane, not bethesda. it is a similar experience to other arkane games. you're basically asking "i hate mcdonald's cheeseburgers, will i enjoy this gastropub gourmet kobe beef burger that happens to be near a mcdonald's logo?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

where the red fern gropes posted:

its weird that a bethesda game has a story that is actually interesting. i blame arkane

my head is going to explode