Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
Played the demo of this on PS4 and while the story may be intriguing, I wasn't happy with the controls. I have doubts after so many stop starts it will be worth full price, so I will wait for a sale. They said they were fixing input lag on a day one patch, but they probably should have fixed that before the demo launched because I know of plenty of people who feel the same way now after playing it, and it was very lackluster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

1stGear posted:

The actual reason not to buy this game full price is that Bethesda has an official policy of not sending review copies out any more. Sucks that good developers are attached to an aggressively lovely publisher but welp.

Or you could play the free demo and realize it's garbage and has nothing to do with Bethesda.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah I had basically zero interest in DOOM up until about 3 days before it was released--and I was raised on the originals, still play them frequently, and regularly wear Doom t-shirts like some kind of neckbeard. It was only after seeing the Nvidia video that I realized the game might not actually be a bag of dicks. No idea how a marketing department could be so incompetent as to utterly fail on selling me on the game. And it was a good loving game, too.

What killed a lot of interest in doom was its horrible multiplayer demo.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
The problem here is two fold. Bad demo with bad controls thy say will be fixed, but at the same time no review copies sent out and that coupled with the previous will stall out sales I'm guessing. The story seemed right up my alley though. So it went from a day one purchase to a rental or sale.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
I'll be curious about that too. They kept saying day one patches were ironing out all the input lag and bugs. The concept and story look great which is right up my alley, but the demo was absolutely horrid to play through due to massive control issues. And whoever designed the controls on PS4 for action items should find a new line of work, because that was some of the most ridiculous layout placement I have ever seen.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Qmass posted:

edit: 700mb update just started, lets... PRAY!! that it fixes the dialogue.

Oops. Praying for you!

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Anti-Hero posted:

Watching the PC streams it looks like Arkane has kept up the same great UI work they had in DH2.

The UI was terrible in the demo of Prey, at least on console and the controller mapping was God awful. What on earth?

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I really didn't find the UI bad at all when I played the PS4 demo. Didn't even cross my mind.

For me, the controller layout was wonky and I had severe input lag. Everything was floaty and it was difficult to target things, and / or interact with anything in the world. I fully admit I may be confusing that with the Full UI, but it's part of it.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
This may be a game to buy on the PC instead.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Sardonik posted:

It's funny how much a contrast this game has with Bioshock Infinite, Prey is significantly better in pretty much every respect, especially at being a -Shock game.

I know this is subjective but this is so far from the truth in my view. Bioshock 1 and Bioshock Infinite poo poo all over this game. From Atmosphere, Story, World Building, Soundtrack, character building, you name it. I would really like to know how Arkane studios gets such a good rep because all three of their latest have bored me to absolute tears.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Wengy posted:

I've been playing bideo games for like 25 years (the shame) and I can't believe Prey and Dishonored 2 aren't selling well. These games are what the medium should be all about imho. What the gently caress are people buying and playing if it's not these games?

Dishonored 2 and Prey are some of the most uninspired games I have played through. They bored me to absolute tears, I didn't like the art direction, the game play was medicore, and nothing popped out as actually anything better than "Blah", aside from "Hey at least you can have a couple ways to do something which ends in the same result anyway". I have always thought Arkane was one of the most overrated studios ever. When I see people saying Prey reminds them of System Shock or Bioshock, I think they need to go back and play those again because I am guessing they may have a memory disorder.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The BioShocks are some of the worst AAA shooters ever designed, they feel so incredibly bad to play. Fighting any kind of mechanical enemy in any of those games was like nails on a chalkboard and part of the reason why I was worried about Prey because of all the Operators, but in Prey it's pretty satisfying to shock and hack and blow them up. Also BioShock Infinite's gameplay conceits with the rails and the tears were dumb and underutilized in monotonous arena garbage. Prey felt way better and satisfying in both hide-and-seek stealth and brutal, quick-lethal assault styles

Not sure why everyone thought the shooting was bad in Bioshock. Maybe it was because I was so immersed in the world I didn't care. I * still * remember to this day (And I played this game on launch back in 2007) Sander Cohen coming down the stairs pretending to accept an award for the sociopathic things he made the player do. There is none of the world building, character depth, script, audio sound tracks, or voice acting in that anyone should ever be able to compare Prey to any Bioshock game. Hell, Bioshock Infinite had me roped in in the first 5 minutes when I was sitting there in awe watching a barbershop quartet sing God Only knows on a floating train with an older couple dancing, and I didn't even start the game yet.

None of that attention to detail is in any Arkane game. Which is why I do not think it is even fair to put prey in the same ballpark. Prey is a run of the mill mediocre uninspired world full of emails to read because the developer cannot be tasked with playing some of those ideas out in the world, other than some written narrative which hardly anyone reads, to save money.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

AngryBooch posted:

I'm one of those weird dudes who likes Bioshock 2 the most out of the three Bioshock games in that it makes both Bioshock 1 and Infinite seem like clunky messes, which is ironic because you're literally stomping around in a 150 lb metal diving suit the entire game.

edit: I too am disappointed that the only musical interlude in Prey is a pop electronic band thing and not a barber shop quartet.

Another cool thing about world building in Bioshock infinite was when Elizabeth opens that original tear and it's circa 1983 - Before Lucas changed the name of Return of the Jedi, and it was still Revenge of the Jedi showing on the theater marquee, with Everybody wants to rule the world playing in the background. I do not think it's everyone's cup of tea to see that type of effort put into such small segments, but those small segments for me make a game world. None of that is in Prey, and it could have been. Hell, even the original Prey had Fear the Reaper going on at the start of the game when the aliens came crashing down into the bar to start things off.

Those little touches in Bioshock 1 and Infinite are why I am such a fan of Ken Levine. Hell, you could walk right past that barbershop quartet and I guarantee you in meetings they were saying, "Why waste the resources on this small segment the player might just zip on passed and not even see it", and Levine would tell them to gently caress off, it's in the game, and then have 45 takes with the barbershop quartet to get the song right on top of it.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 27, 2017

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

AngryBooch posted:

Levine and Bioshock Infinite destroyed that studio.

Christ, I'm flashing back to the limerick twins now, Infinite is a bad game.

Metacritic, and even the users, disagree. And went on to sell over 11 million copies and was the best selling Bioshock game ever. I consider that most definitely not a reason why irrational games folded.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/bioshock-infinite

Levine didn't destroy the studio. Levine wouldn't let Take Two fluff out carbon copy sequels.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 27, 2017

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Digirat posted:

PSA for anyone arguing with that poster, check their rap sheet for posts in the mass effect andromeda thread. It's a troll.

Most definitely not a troll, and I was 100% correct on how horrid of a game Mass Effect Andromeda was. I'd say that is pretty evident now.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

These were all ho-hum auteurist "Look at me, aren't I smart" riffs that were pointless in the grand scheme of a narrative that tried so hard to appear profound but actually turned out to be hackneyed garbage that was borderline racist, smashed like a child's mushed peas across interminable and and painful combat encounters against bullet sponge after bullet sponge.

The fact that in Prey all the audiologs are actually voice mails that would have been plausibly recorded and are found in places where they might be plausibly dropped in a disaster, shows more attention to constructing a coherent storyworld than anything in a BioShock game where storytelling is delivered through diaries that everyone seems to spill their souls into and force-fed theatrics designed to browbeat simpletons into thinking they're experiencing something that passes for aesthetic innovation

Well, Bioshock sold over 25 million copies series wide with over 11 million being Bioshock Infinite with, outside of this echo chamber, glowing reviews for both press and gamers alike. 2017 Prey might be lucky to crack 750k sold combined across all platforms. So, I guess it's pretty easy to come to a conclusion which world building technique is more desired. If you present show me over read me, I guarantee you 99% of everyone will pick show me any day of the week. That isn't Prey's only glaring issue though. Prey has no soul to it.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

ultrachrist posted:

It's been a long time, but IIRC the basic gist is: the oppressed black people start a revolution and in an extremely hackneyed scene, their leader either murders or threatens to murder a white child. This triggers Booker to say something like "The Revolution is just bad as Comstock!".

So basically the only black person given characterization in the game is as monstrous as Comstock says they are in one of the racist funhouses you go through in the beginning of the game. On top of that, an uprising, even a bloody one, portrayed as "the same" as the brutal oppressive society that created it in the first place is unbelievably dishonest and stupid (and racist in this context).

Well, considering the game took place in 1912, I would say it's reflective of the time period of what race relations were at that point. Mafia 3 was very racist as well as it took place in the 60's at the height of the Civil rights movement. I guess I do not understand your argument for why that makes a game bad. You want that watered down so it didn't exist?

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 27, 2017

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Vib Rib posted:

I kept wondering if you were going to come back to the thread after spending every single post talking so much poo poo pre-release, and after all this time you pop back in just to repeatedly go "this game was poo poo and Bioshock was better". What a bizarre posting impetus.

I only made that argument because people starting comparing Prey to Bioshock. The games inherently are obviously different. But it doesn't change the fact that Prey is uninspired, and most definitely will not sell well as a result. I can also admit my own bias in my opinion because I firmly believe Arkane studios is one of the most overrated development houses in the industry for what they put out. Prey is a mediocre game - it isn't anything like System Shock 2 (Which I loved) or atmospheric like the Bioshock series which I also loved obviously. And I also think it's completely silly to even compare the games * at all *.

I will also fully admit that I couldn't care less about 4 ways to do things in a level, which I am sure some people like, when it is planted in a watered-down world build and rutted in poor mechanics from a game play perspective. And that's what Prey is.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

lambskin posted:

Have you finished prey? I know a lot of people that thought prey wasn't very good changed their minds after playing it again, much like system shock 2. This game is the closest you're gonna get to system shock 2 for a while.

No. I ended up refunding it.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

VolticSurge posted:

So, I just found this.
What I find hilarious is 1. This manchild feeling the need to go out of his way to poo poo on the game for his poor taste, or 2. the fact that the dipshits in the comments are helping reinforce his terrible opinions.

It's pretty much everyone's opinion outside of SA here that the game is very mediocre at best, and flat out boring as poo poo for most at worst. As a result, didn't sell for poo poo either.

(Didn't watch the video)

With that said, I find all of Arkane's games boring as poo poo to me and cannot get into them at all.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I edited my post because I was being an rear end in a top hat. It worries me a bit you're following the thread of a game you hate by a company you dislike though.

Who does that :stonk:

The same one that goes outside of a thread to post a video they disagree with defending a game they like? I just happened to click on this and see if anything was new (It isn't) and low and behold I see a guy who sounds like they are taking literal hardship offense about what someone outside of their bubble thinks of their game.

In the end, what that poster said was wrong. Most find the game boring, convoluted to play from a combat perspective, and needlessly uninspired from an enemy point of view. It shows directly in the sales of said game and with most feedback outside of this thread.

/Shrug.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Really sad and weird.

Kind of like Arkane's financial performance over their last 3 titles compared to over-hyping a studio from a viral stand point. Which is why Raphael Colantonio said adios.

If they had talent to make the UI, enemies, story, art, animations, player tools, interesting mechanics; as they had the one good ability they have in making open ended level design, I am sure they actually might be doing better than they are. I won't be surprised to see Arkane shuttered in less than a year.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

TWIST FIST posted:

your video is poo poo and you look like a dweeb

I think the poster of that original link is the maker of said video. Click bait at its finest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

VolticSurge posted:

Problem with that logic- I'm a fatass Canadian. Not a British guy.

I love Canada!