Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

I would have been happy if they just put every one of the final pieces in the Bridge/Arboretum area.

So.... many.... load screens.

I was ok with having to leave the arboretum to go to the reactor/psychotronics because that made sense. But then you have to walk all the way back? I guess for the self destruct it's sort of logical but why on Earth do I have to go to the bridge to activate the nullwave? Just put an "on" button on the drat thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Copper Vein posted:

My Kill-Everybody psychopath run seems to have missed the mark that I was aiming for.

I was vaguely aiming to get the Showing Initiative quest and the I and It and Awkward Ride Home achievements. I wasn't using a guide for this and I think that some of these might be mutually exclusive, or at least require a bit of planning to pull off in one run.

I did indeed kill everybody as soon as I saw them. Wrenched Mikhaila on the floor, spaced Igwe, and turned the defense turrets around in the cargo hold and aggro'd Sarah and her trapped security team. I also pistol sniped all the mind-controlled humans or finished them off if they lost consciousness after I Q-Beamed the telepath.

I didn't know when the Showing Initiative quest was supposed to kick in, so I played all the way up to when Dahl pulled Alex out of his garage and Dahl was still hostile to me. I did some reading on the quest and while the information out there is still a little nebulous, what seems clear is that Showing Initiative is supposed to kick in as soon as Dahl arrives on the station.

So I missed out, despite everybody being dead prior to Dahl showing up save for Alex and the four AWOL crew members whose bracelets are in the IT closet. So why didn't the Showing Initiative quest kick in? It is possible that too many human deaths were technically not by my hand; some mind-controlled puppets could have blow'd up they own heads, and my cargo bay turrets could have gotten last-hit on some of Sarah's people. This might have brought my murder count down below the threshold to start the quest. My "Humans Killed" count is 29 under Transcribe\Data\Stats\.

Regarding the requirements for the achievements, I assume that if Showing Initiative doesn't start, then Awkward Ride Home is unobtainable. I've also read some half-finished guides and forum posts that suggest that Igwe is supposed to survive long enough to lobotomize Dahl, and then be killed so that Dahl has amnesia when he flies you home?

So does anybody here know for sure what it takes to get this quest and cheevo? Morgan's bloodlust remains un-slaked.

You need 42 kills total to get the 'I and It" achievement for killing everyone. You definitely must have missed a lot of last hits. For me, Showing Initiative trigged as soon as Dahl arrived - he sends you a message saying he's impressed with how many people you've killed, the IT closet unlocks and the 4 remaining survivors are planted throughout the station for you to go kill. Then he invites you to the shuttle bay to fly home with him, but of course that's just a trap. The only way to get Awkward Ride Home is to let Igwe live until Dahl arrives, stun Dahl and have Igwe remove his Neuromods so that he forgets his mission. Then you can kill Igwe and ride home with Dahl.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Copper Vein posted:

So Showing Initiative and Awkward Ride Home are mutually exclusive? I and It can be got along with either one?

Since Igwe has to survive the cargo bay to lobotomize Dahl for Awkward Ride Home, doesn't that mean that you can't waste Sarah's crew right then and there? Igwe would also aggro (and hide) if you did. So you have to save them all, and then when Igwe calls you from your office you double back and shoot them all in the face with your mother's shotgun?

That loving sucks that you can't use turrets on Team Eleazar. They should have accounted for that. Have one squeaky voiced survivor ask why the turrets are facing the wrong way.

I'm not sure what the cutoff is for Showing Initiative. You may still get it even if Igwe is the only one left alive. Theoretically if you're fast it should be possible to get into Cargo Bay, waste everyone, then save Igwe. Could be interesting.

NRVNQSR posted:

When exactly should you kill Igwe to get this? Is it okay to just gun him down in Neuromods right in front of Dahl, or is there an opportunity to get him alone between then and the shuttle leaving (which is too late, since the game won't let you kill people on the shuttle)?

I haven't actually done this one yet, but yeah, as far as I've seen the only chance you get to kill Igwe is when you're both hanging out in Neuromod. After that he and Dahl are gone until the shuttle ride.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

bewilderment posted:

Is there ever a quest that makes the Waste Management area interesting? I had a buttload of stuff to recycle in there so I shoved it into the depowered recycler, couldn't find a way to power it up, headed to the power plant, but then the game never sent me up there again.
It's a fully optional area with a couple neat little surprises but the power terminal is by the door. If you want to know what's in there You can use the terminals to flush out the waste processing tank and discover the alcoholic employee who drunkenly fell into the tank and drowned or was killed by eels. Also one of the treasure maps leads there.

quote:

I also could never deactivate that super-electrified room in life-support either - I plugged in a new grounding resistor but it didn't seem to do anything.
Resistor's for reactivating the outside area where you get Mikhaila's meds. You can see the lights go on out there once you plug it in.

quote:

How do you progress the game if you kill Elazar before she opens the door that you either need her or hacking 4 to open? Does she have a note?
Keycard, yeah.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

Waste Management/Water Supply is one of the most important optional areas in the game. Took me forever to find the switch to turn the power on, but it's actually right in plain sight. Whoops.

The Psi Water quest basically makes typhon powers much more useable since every water source let's you quickly restore psi

Oh, duh, I totally forgot to mention that spoilered bit but that's the most important part.

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Is there any clue that leads you to the 4 neuromods you find in the briefcase in the security booth in the lobby?

January tells you to go check it out for weapons after you get back from the hardware labs, but nothing mentions those specifically.

Gadzuko fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 29, 2017

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Combat focus isn't technically a Typhon power, so you can do it on a no psionics run but avoid it if you want a challenge. Otherwise by midgame you're Doom guy jumping off ledges and splattering etheric phantoms in one shot on the way down, and killing nightmares by running up and shooting them between the legs a few times before they get off a single attack.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Sdoots posted:

Finished it tonight. Great game.

Questions about plot because I am dumb:

So, uh, what the gently caress just happened?

I did a no-typhon run and helped everyone I could. At the end the fourth operator said "it never met me". Using the nullwave, blowing Talos up and getting off the station with Dahl and the survivors both led to Alex showing me a hosed up world. My hand turned human in the handshake both ways.

Is this a BUT MORGAN WAS DEAD THE WHOLE TIME scenario? Why in the hell is there a Typhon in a chair in some basement? I feel like I need a chart or something to keep track of where all the simulations and realities branch and break.

Ending spoilers: No chart needed. The entire game is a simulation. You are a Typhon. Alex and company are inserting Morgan's DNA into you in an effort to integrate it so that you can feel empathy for other living beings, something Typhon are incapable of normally. The Earth has been hosed by Typhon and you are their hail Mary attempt to bridge the gap between species. The simulation is a test to determine if they have succeeded or not.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Vib Rib posted:

Hate to have to ask twice, but if anyone knows what the deal is with highlighting/glowing objects, I'd greatly appreciate it. Quality of life stuff like this is important to me.
I'm probably going to pick up the game either way but I'd really like to know if there's a way to toggle this in the PC version ahead of time.

It is always on, there is no toggle. Everything you can put in your inventory glows.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Helianthus Annuus posted:

If you're talking about the kinesthetic assister, do you know where it is? I haven't found reliable information about this online.

It is 100% not fixed. I did not see that chipset until my third run after fully clearing the station in both previous runs, and all chipsets have been in completely random spots for me.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Ok, double jump yes. That is the sole exception. I've cleared psychotronics and don't have mimic detection in my current run, though.

e: actually I think maybe I haven't cleared Psychotronics now that I think about it, and I can't check right now. So it may be in that area, but not a specific place.

Gadzuko fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 5, 2017

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

KPC_Mammon posted:

I met her during lockdown. She still gives you the quest if you talk to her but you have to reset lockdown before you can complete it, which gives the whole process a sense of urgency.

You don't actually have to reset the lockdown. You can run back out through cargo bay and grab her meds then head back without ever visiting the reactor.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Mimics take an extra whack with the wrench to kill on Nightmare, which makes a fair bit of difference. Incoming damage is a lot higher. I didn't really notice anything going from normal to hard, but nightmare is noticeably tougher.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

HATECUBE posted:

by the time i made it out of the lockdown i had 98 in my no-mods run. i dont even know what the gently caress to do with that many because apparently the recycler lets you sidestep leverage obstacles up to lv2 in addition to space management that lets you ignore space upgrades

also the nerfcaster lets you sidestep hacking and morph puzzles to an extent (unfortunatly not standalone safes tho)

If you mean recycler grenades, you can go through any and all leverage obstacles including level 3 ones. They eat up all of the various liftable objects.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
They are picky, but I know I've used them to get into HR specifically. If you get unlucky and land it right against the doorframe or another object or something it won't work because it needs line of sight. Think of it like it shoots out disintegrator rays from the grenade itself instead of being a spherical blast like the graphic implies. It seems to work best if you give it a little bit of distance from the object too.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Rinkles posted:

SS2 had the right idea. A hack attempt had both a risk and resource associated, and was real time (admittedly probably harder with gamepad interfaces)

I liked SS2 hacking except for the fact that it was random and some stuff would blow up if you failed, so sometimes you got screwed for no reason. A purely skill based version of that would be good.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Palpek posted:

I wonder how much better it would sell if they went with a -Shock name and marketed the game for what it is. The knee-jerk response would be 'a lot better' but I'm not sure how much sway this legacy really has on the mainstream market.

Did they even market this game as anything? I randomly started getting emails about it, I think because I signed up for a Prey 2 thing years ago. I totally ignored it until I read the RPS writeup on it and realized what it was. A lot of people who came into the thread post-release seemed totally clueless that the game even existed until just then, let alone that it was a System Shock clone. It feels like they just shoved it out the door and wanted it over with after how long it was in production. We haven't heard a peep about DLC as far as I know which is fairly abnormal these days.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
That dialogue is just bugged, I got it when I got the save everyone achievement and confirmed that nobody died to hazards or anything.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Man who does not like exploration or creativity in video games does not like games which focus on exploration and creativity. What a shock.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Atoramos posted:

Oh I have no idea what even influences which ending I get. Do I need to give myself room to save everyone? My current plan was to follow whatever January and December told me to do until they gave me conflicting jobs, then make a manual save and try to get each ending. Now I'll also be holding off on effecting Aaron. Anything else I might miss that I should watch out for? I'm also assuming I can choose what to do with Alex whenever I end up confronting him.

The different endings require entirely different choices throughout the entire game, there's not much point in trying to hold on to a savegame so that you can get all of them. You have to replay so much of the game you may as well do it in multiple runs. If you really want to skip everything leading up to Psychotronics, you can save where you are now and start over from there, but it's all or nothing for the most part.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Rinkles posted:

Not that it's absolving, but Alex admits to being a dick during the post credits ending, iirc.

Yeah, considering the ending is in the context of an empathy test, it's important to acknowledge empathic behavior even if Alex or Morgan hadn't displayed it at the time. All of the game's events are ultimately their fault.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Rinkles posted:

I am all for avoiding tacky contrived morality systems, as well as shallow moralistic fork points that lead to slightly different cutscenes.

Has there ever really been a game with a morality system that wasn't contrived? I can't think of any more complex than "get good person points for good things" etc off the top of my head.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

Well, it seems like Morgan's backup plan as of Feb. 23 was to destroy the station. What the hell's the point of destroying the station if you don't warn Earth first? They'll just send more people to find out what happened, who will probably start the whole problem over again.

His hope was to destroy the station so thoroughly that it would annihilate all Typhon material. Based on the ending, either he did it and it didn't work, or he used the nullwave and it didn't work, or maybe he just took the escape pod. Whatever he did, it didn't work, so it makes sense that his plans suck.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
The stun gun is by far the easiest method, aside from sprinting past. Don't bother with anything else unless you completely run out of stun gun ammo.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I find gloo to be easier than any other method against cysts, especially in the GUTS. It usually takes several darts or throws to get all of them and it's a lot faster to just spray a bunch of gloo. Outside the GUTS darts work better on clusters but I still end up spraying gloo if the cysts are spread out.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

turn off the TV posted:

Really, just grab whatever nearby objects you can find and throw them at the cytsoids. If you land a good throw you'll get an entire group at once.

Gloo skips the step of "find nearby objects" though. I really don't see how it's faster, I get entire groups with a few gloo globs all the time.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

And like I said, I only remember a single computer I needed hacking to get into.

What? No. Maybe computers related to quests, sure, they always have a password stashed somewhere but the majority of computers are non plot related and require hacking to access.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
So you're saying literally all but two computers have their passwords out in the wild somewhere? You got the achievement for reading (almost) all the emails without using hacking at all? If you did it, then ok but I used hacking as a last resort and I found that the vast majority of computers did not have a password available in the world.

edit ok just saw your edit where you did get the achievement. Well, I guess there's more than I thought but the emails are also duplicated on a lot of computers, I'll see if I can keep track on a no hacking run.

Gadzuko fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 5, 2017

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
That bay has a small hole in it above the satellite. You can definitely use mimic to get in.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
All you need is max combat focus, max weapon damage and max weapon upgrades. It's not like you have to worry about complicated sphere grids or synergies or something, just click the skills that make you shoot mans better.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Digirat posted:

The ending tells you that all the consequences of your choices weren't what you actually experienced, and that they actually only mattered for reasons that you will not get to see yourself. Any part of a story that can be phrased as "and it was all a dream" flips you off proportionally to how invested you were in that part of the story. In prey, that's the entire story. It ends by telling you that none of the poo poo you did mattered, except in extremely indirect ways that you won't see because now the game's over.

The point of the ending was that your choices matter even if you're only being given the illusion of a choice. That the things you do in a simulation can still impact the real world through developing your own world view and personality. I thought it was really clever.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
At that point in the game neuromods are far more useful and, depending what you spend them on, will probably help you get more stuff faster than just making ammo. Go for it.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
You can slaughter every living and robotic thing on the station to your heart's content and still beat the game just fine. You won't get the full story but it still proceeds normally.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
It was found immediately, the dev was just talking about the "kill everyone" playthrough.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

there are five specific people you have to save to get it easily. I think it's that prisoner, igwe, elazar, Mikhaila, and someone else.

Have to save Dahl too

Amish Ninja posted:

Is there a way to switch between those two powers instantly? I've been using the wheel each time I need to change. Assuming you can just hotkey them up/favorite them and I've been lazy about it.

Assuming you're on PC, pull up the wheel and push a number while mousing over an ability to hotkey it. You can do items or weapons that way too or from the inventory.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Amish Ninja posted:

Beat it the other night. Got the "good" ending where they let you live and you take Alex's hand. Saved Mikhaila, helped the trapped humans in the Cargo Bay, restored oxygen and killed Dahl, used the nullwave transmitter to save the station. Didn't kill the psychopath impostor cook. Really wanted to, because as soon as I got into the cook's room to pick up the award and heard the transcribe, I could see that their faces didn't match up. Missed opportunity; There was just too much going on at once. All in all, I didn't feel like the ending had much of a plothole and it for the most part made sense to me. I definitely wasn't expecting it. Thought it was good, even if it was brief.

For those who have done a human skills only run: How does that change the ending scene? Are they more likely to let you live if you voluntarily rejected typhon abilities and went full human, even if you end up killing other people? I'm guessing combinations of having only done human abilities/saving people/only killing typhons just changes how much the operators in the final scene approve of you?

Despite what the game leads you to believe, Typhon powers are irrelevant to the actual ending you receive. You get slightly different dialogue from the operators that acknowledges if you didn't take any powers, but that's all. The only factors going into the ending are how many humans you killed and how many "empathic" choices you made to try to save people.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

DelphiAegis posted:

So, what happens if you simply murder everyone as soon as you see them, including January? Like I get that you lose side quests and poo poo but January keeps you on the plot the whole game so if you murder them right away what happens?

You still get all the plot related quests showing up in your log. Most critical information is actually relayed by people you can't kill right away like Danielle and Alex, so things keep chugging along regardless. Then you get a little Easter egg when Dahl shows up.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Rangpur posted:

What's a good source of synthetic material? That seems to be the real sticking point when it comes to fabrication. I finally got the Q-Beam all the way upgraded but making the ammo is another story.

You can get more by recycling packaged foods. It's not a lot but it helps.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

I don't even think Psychotronics is locked beyond visiting your office.

I think you have to get the keycard from January first, unless there's something I've been missing. You have to go to Hardware Labs first and get the jetpack so you can move around zero G, then you get general access and you can roam around.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
The "kill everyone" ending is the operators and Alex all basically saying "welp this one sucked and didn't work at all like we hoped, better luck next time" and then they agree to kill you and keep trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
You don't need to start over. Once you hit the arboretum pretty much the whole station is open, you can just go through each zone finding stuff. Once you go into deep storage you get railroaded for a bit, but after that it's all open.