Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
So Valve's relasing a new feature of Steamplay, Proton, which is basically their own WINE wrapper to let you play windows games on linux. It's a bit more successful than default WINE for a lot of games.

So the Prey demo finally works, and I'm enjoying it tons, but it's crashy as all gently caress. I'm sure a lot of that is Proton/WINE, but a quick googling tells me that a lot of my crashes (re-entering old areas & saving) are actually found in the 1.0 retail release, later to be patched out. So my question thread: is it worth holding a torch for Prey and getting it at the next steam sale, or is the demo's instability correctly indicative that I'm never playing this game on Linux? Anyone who's putzed about in the demo care to verify it's stability?

edit:vv Some poo poo works flawlessly. Crashing 1/hour is fine. Crashing 80% of the time the game saves is fustrating. I'll take 'playable with patience', I know perfectly well the boat that I'm in.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Sep 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Um, holy poo poo, thank you. Quick fix, suddenly completed the demo (all but murdering the big red guy who carries around turrets), great fun. On the to-buy list asap!

Thanks again!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I think a lot of people (myself included) avoided the Typhon neuromods since they heard somewhere on the internet it makes a difference, which is daft since it encourages cutting out literally all the cool toys for an ending/cheevo.

I hate to say, if you where still feeling threatened in lategame, you must have really skipped out of a few of the stronger human options. Like the combat-time-slow thingie? Literally trivializes every threat in the game. Morgan is hella OP even on max difficulty, which is another shame since earlier games such as SystemShock2 figured out how to make the difficulty setting matter.

Prey is still a great game tho! Just possibly missing much replay value to the main story.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Eschatos posted:

How many Typhon powers are you allowed to have before turrets start aggroing you? I've only picked up turn-into-coffee-cup so far to get into locked areas, but I got like 50 psi hypos kickin around it'd be cool to make use of.

If you want to be using "psi powers", the time-slowy tech from the human side works well also. It's also madly OP when maxed, so beware.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
SS2's turrets where even less useful as player aids, as they'd not defend themselves unless you where in the same room. So a respawning enemy whould autokill them all =[

But as threats, yea, they could be nasty.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I think the epilogue characters being operators is just the devs following though on allowing the player kill nonhostile NPCs without dictating a 'canon' ending. The Coral was cool, though.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Mimics are probably the very best part of Prey, despite being basically just a jumpscare. They're used frequently enough that they're bound to keep catching you out, yet not so common that it gets old. Easily the best part of Prey's limited menagerie.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Metal is 100% the bottleneck resource for anyone who's gotten the alien-autopsy-thingy perk. The only real (non-psi combat) trick is to avoid fabbing ammo like the plague until you've maxed a gun out in both perks and upgrades, then use it religiously. Its amazing how many guns go from trash to awesome, even if the numbers on paper don't look it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

veni veni veni posted:

Where is the recycler room? I think I've been just about everywhere and missed it somehow?

In the base game? They're all over. In Lobby, there's one in Morgans Office, and another in the break rooms after the IT room. I have a feeling you're asking something different, but I don't recall any zones called "Recycling"...?

EDIT: I'm an idiot, you mean the recycle-grenade/chamber room doodad. It's in the (iirc) 2nd zone after Lobby, something about manufacturing? The areas with the power outages & a second floor. I don't think the door code is given until halfway through the game. I think.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Mar 17, 2019

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Paradox has been teasing a V:TM Bloodlines sequel or remake or something lately

Just recently played V:TM. While its definitely over-hyped, admittedly a lot of its faults are in the age of the game. Some games/genres age well, but immersive first person role playing worlds do not. It will be a long time until this genre 'gets there', where the games are basically complete and further improvements are mostly technical. Like, you can go back and play old Space Sims, RTS', Point-n-Click adventure games, even old FPS', and a lot of them are still great fun despite being ugly (assuming you even LIKE the genre, that is. gently caress Point-n-Click, I'm glad you died). The genre that V:TM and Prey are in is still growing leaps and bounds with every iteration, and the older entries are kinda rough at times.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
THEY won't get out, but IT will. Avoid the area if you're not taking it on.

I personally just hid behind a tree and kept popping it with normal guns whenever I could since the turrets where useless. Took a reload or two.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Eh, I kind of think that upgrading the pistol is a waste of time. Even if you play optimized for it, ie running straight for the gold gun then having enough stuff saved to upgrade/max it immediately, it's still the weakest weapon in the game by far (possibly discluding the goo gun if you don't like it). Every other weapon is a far better canidate for dumping mass upgrade thingies into, and many of them don't need literally every upgrade in order to reach their full potential (ie, shotgun really only wants the dmg boost, rest is gravy). I'd probably just recommend you leave it alone and just use the naturally generated ammo on low priority targets, like mimics and breaking things etc.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Between the shotguns' dmg and one or two more Quality of Life ups, maxed taser, mostly maxed Q beam, and one or two Quality of Life ups for the goo gun, not much is left for the pistol. As you mentioned with the shotty, maxing all ups doesn't change the way you can use the pistol, so might as well get the other guns up asap instead. I think you might be underselling the shotty btw. It's less of a niche weapon and more of the default, since when things jump you unexpectedly they jump in close.

It's also possible to be overthinking things, as there's only like five guns and six enemies in the game!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The Stun gun? You mean that disruptor thing which is for the robots? I haven't upgraded that at all, because I found it very difficult to use (and yes I am struggling with corrupted operators), but maybe if I upgrade it it'll get easier to use.

That's just the thing, is that unupgraded it's awkward. It has tiny range, takes forever to charge, and is hideously ammo inefficient. After upgrading, it actually fires at medium range, charges almost instantly (you can alllmost just tap it!), and both the 'raw dmg' AND the 'shots before reloading' stats increase its ammo efficiency! Basically just treat it like the utility weapon trash it us, until you unlock the 2nd security perk, then whammo new favorite weapon for everyone. It's worth hoarding upgrade packs for.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Hah, that's not even THE end-game mechanic that pushes you to go faster. The one you'll get last really drives the point home that it's no longer time to putz about. But yea, the enemies you have now are a major threat make to take you out of your comfort zone as you're probably really OP by now, and it even puts an IRL timer on core missions, which is cool. The main mission has like a half-dozen permutations depending on what you're done in the major zones, I actually appreciate how much effort they put into it. It's only really jarring imo because the early/mid game can be taken at such a relaxed pace, I really wish there where things like constantly respawning mimics or something to get you into a more forward-momentum thinking mindset. SS2 did it and it was stressful, but good.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I think I've explored almost everywhere I can now without advancing the main plot in Deep Storage. I should try and track down the last two treasure maps, but even if I can get them both, trying to identify where they're pointing will be a nightmare. I also just realized that I do not have a tracking bracelet like the rest of the crew. I guess this might make sense since I wouldn't have had it on earth, but still, it's a little odd.

I also just discovered that the elevator is not as safe as it assumed. Friggin enemies can just teleport into it.

Some of the quests are confusing. I found a body with an item on it, and I got the objective to insert a psychoactive particle emitter into the water supply, but I have no idea WHY I would want to do this. It wasn't explained, so I don't see a good reason to do it.

1. No idea been ages sorry.
2. That was a one-shot event, you're fine. It's also funny you gotta admit.
3. I have no idea, but you might have shortcut'd through a semi-major quest there. The game allows for this, what probably happened is you missed the logs that opened the quest to begin with in a previous area.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, gently caress that quest. It's supposed to have a tracking beacon, but apparently that bugs out occasionally in which you'll have to find him with blind luck.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I was actually thinking about that a while ago. If he gets tazed, and you choose to blow up the station... I guess he's dead then? I mean you didn't physically haul him to safety and sure as hell nobody else is coming for him.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Still better than that one!

But yea the way they animated Shodan's face in the SS2 cinematics was not very well done at all. We just all remember the static image which has aged well.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Isn't that the one that's not available neither on steam nor standalone?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh no, it's very intended. It's trivial to wait him out.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I think I ignored him once, the second time I figured out I could kill him but didn't like the amount of ammo needed so I reloaded and ignored him, and the third+ time I just popped combat reflexes and he ended up on the floor getting wrenched, the poor sod.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh woa, I scanned the tendrils but what's this about scanning it's main body, where can you do that from? It's been while btw.

I think inadvertently cut down on my own personal lategame experience by doing a bunch of stuff such as dicking about with the Satellite long before the story calls for it, so I was excluded from running around a lot in the extreme lategame. The final's baddies' tendrils where super scary in the Conservatory but the pressure seemed to quickly die off, my bad.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Like, you're all so wrong I felt the need to push my glasses up and post on the internet about it.

The hardcore/survival stuff is 100% worth it on your first playthrough, they proc very rarely and only in situations where You Done hosed Up, and getting a minor debuff instead of just lost hp is very cool. I actually tried running around with a broken leg for a while instead of instantly healing it with the consumable, it was pretty funny watching Morgan bellow every time I reflexively hit shift to run.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Wafflecopper posted:

Here’s the thing though, you had to ignore the consumable in your inventory in order for the debuff to actually affect your game. They’re fairly common relative to how often you get the debuffs, and medbots aren’t exactly scarce even if you don’t know where they are.

Yes, that's exactly my point. There's no good reason not to play with the feature enabled, it adds a tiny bit of flavourful content that uncommon and not burdensome.

edit:vv So don't clutter your inventory and enjoy the broken legs? You're being a huge grump about it and trying to argue it from both sides. Its either a big deal and invokes cool gameplay moments, or it's a tax on how over-prepared you can be. Its fun content that you can opt into, or, you can be Ebeneezer Scrooge and hate everything fun.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 20, 2019

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
As someone who went 'full human' on his game... don't. There's a stupid little achievement at the end and that's it. You can still be goodie two shoes while turning yourself into a mimic. And also unlocking like dozens of achievements along the way instead of just one.

Also, if you're like 99% of all players and you picked up the scrounging talents, you end up with more neuromod points than there are interesting human skills to buy. Criminal shame.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Rinkles posted:

it's just trivialized any combat the game's thrown at me since

Yes no maybe? If you didn't get many points in Intel you get one cast before you're dry. But yes, a large portion of Arx Fatalis' Jank is related to Magic being OP and less-magical playstyles being a self-inflicted challenge.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

curried lamb of God posted:

yeah, the endgame would've been better if you had been given some way to shut off the operators, such as a level 4 hack at each dispenser or even uploading a virus from a central location

But there is? There's a side mission to go outside and blow up a certain operator tinkering on the outside of the station, it stops the onslaught.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Blattdorf posted:

I'm going to blow your mind within the next three seconds. I M. Yu.

Where's the "I" come from in that? Or is this the joke, poking fun at retroactive acronyms and the fanbases who gasp at straws to make them?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Right, so where's the "I" from?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

LifeLynx posted:

My game told me to? I did get a quest to "Save Alex" and then lock the door. I really thought it was giving me a choice to either save them or save Dahl but it turned out I could do both!

About the Chef, I spotted his mine and remotely disabled it before I talked to him. In that case he just croaked and died. From reading posts I guess he was supposed to blow up? I thought I missed some dialog where it would've been revealed he didn't have long to live. Oh well.

Beat the game with the "most empathetic" achievement. :toot:

He had a cyanide capsule in his mouth, because that brilliant fucker was not messing around.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Void bastards set its sights too low. It absolutely has the smash&grab mentality going on, and is super fun to play (and you should buy it), but it has a limited lifespan before you've seen everything.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

OwlFancier posted:

[...]printing operators and then killing them so I could recycle the corpses for more metal to make more space drug injectors.

That's loving ingenious. About how much do they shell out per corpse, do you remember?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Shhhhhh

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That tweet makes it sound like its news to him too that it's a *Shock successor. Which is not very reassuring.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Are there any active Deus Ex threads? The last two that I had bookmarked haven't had posts since '16 and '17. So I'll just post here otherwise, 0451 and all.

So, I just bought & finished Mankind Divided over the thankgiving sale. Went in knowing that there was a lot of bad - the terrible DLC etc, so was able to ignore it. Everyone was right, Prague was very well done, but I gotta say, it probably would have served better in a different game. The open world was a treasure to poke around in and explore, with lots of small storytelling details, all lovely, but... Having such an open-world available really ruins the pacing of the game, not to mention the power progression of the player. You can lug over and sell random guns to vendors! This is bad! So by the time most of the player base gets off their arse and does the first mission, they've probably got 50% of the availablexp in the entire game, and a several fully kitted out guns. Oops. Compare this to MD, which has the retroactively-funny moment where after yelling at the player for 15 minutes to show up, hostages die (oops). It's good world-building in a different way.

And then there's the whole monstrosity of the praxis/xp system combined and how it affects poo poo like QoL 'upgrades' vs actual cool gameplay augs. Ugh. Worth playing through if you get it on a sale imo?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Champion! Thank you

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I actually felt the push for pacifism is still going strong in MD. The entire prequels are built very strongly on Jensens's takedowns, from the biocell regen mechanics all the way on up to enemy placement. About halfway through I remembered that I wasn't going for stupid cheevos, so the Foxiest and Pacifist playstyle was pointless. I just started shooting mooks in the head, and I gotta say, the gunplay is pretty lackluster, especially considering there's literally 18 types of bullets. There's only one 'fun' gun, the GL, which opts out of the entire gun upgrade system (whyyy), with all the normal guns being variations on gross overkill since every enemy is made of paper, even the robots.

And then you find out the game doesn't properly recognize the player being a murderer or not, so all your efforts where moot.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Prey I feel handled it well enough; the enemies are dangerous and can be avoided as you said, but also taking them head-on is both risky and taxing of resources. The second part I feel is the most important for limited-resource games.

Now of course things go off the rails lategame as Morgan gets beefier than god, but that's more about Neuromod crafting and one OP skill (combat reflexes) than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, single digit FPS with all options on low, and refuses to change resolution.

Shrug.