Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Anything that isn't nailed down can be recycled. Bodies, leverage 3 objects, the works. You can make huge piles of stuff to throw a nade at if you're feeling like a boring person.

Exact locations of neuromod loot? Err, maybe a guide might have it but that's a real specific detail I think most of us would have forgotten. (Do not read a guide, game is better discovered). Best suggestion I have is to just look up? Lotsa vertical hiding spaces & exploration loot up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
First: No, you will get that enemy regardless, the only difference is in a line of dialogue when you first see it.
Second: Yup, you really do need to save everyone iirc.

Honestly, cheevos ruined Prey as many people (including myself!) artificially limited themselves on their first playthrough just to get a lovely digital stamp. Dishonored was terrible for people ruining their own fun in the name of getting 'the right' endings, Prey is less bad since it's only cheevos (but everyone still can't help themselves!), so hopefully Arkane's new title will have even less implied conducts in order to save us from ourselves.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That suicidal guy had a poison capsule in his mouth, I thought there was dialogue about that but maybe not.

Mooncrash is 100% awesome and will let you play around with Typhon mods if that makes any difference.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Goddamn that Dahl detail, that's news to me too.

25:10 in the above video

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I think Alex probably gave you the objectives to end the game by then, but yea most sane people detour to deal with Dahl and his infinitely spawning operators.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The Neuromods/gear catch up to and exceed the scaling due to plot success. Having it the other way around - difficulty scaling off of player power - is a disaster, see Oblivion. I also feel that the player comfort due to level familiarity is never counteracted enough; not enough RNG elements being changed, the environmental hazards never live up to their bark.

And that's setting aside the whole 'fab anti-corruption' thing.

It's still a very good game, but I'm kinda disapointed that there isn't an official Hard mode, but that might be asking for too much.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Sounds like standard JRPG bignum gameplay to me.

-------

This isn't the thread for it but I know it has a lot of crossover, but for anyone who owns Deathloop does it look like it'll be getting longer legs somehow? I've heard bad things about it's difficulty.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh geez that's nuts, I always assumed that DeathLoop was a direct sequel to Mooncrash, and was puzzled at why it fell so flat.

Christ, the hubris to do the latest project in a company known for "this one thing", but not be familiar with their last (successful!) iterative release on the topic.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The problem is getting there in the first place, I have waaay too many interruptions. A suspend mode would be killer

Technical solution to a gameplay problem: Just pause the game (or suspend the game's thread in task manager), and sleep/hibernate the desktop instead of shutting down?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I mean, I disagree and wish they where rolled more thoroughly into the core loop, but I enjoyed the odd bone break and horrifying sounds it made before patching it up with a thing I always kept on me. The weapon degradation just feels natural to me, but SS2 may have broken my brain in that regard.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

255 posted:

Both games feel like they were independently designed around the same whiteboard problems with previous immersive sims.

"We build levels and encounters that are meant to be replayed, but most players only play through games once if that." (Make repeating levels a core mechanic)

"We build tools and abilities to give players many different ways to approach situations, but most players choose a limited set of options and ignore others."

"We've got half our weapons and abilities dedicated to murdering the enemy messily, but a large number of players pathologically refuse to allow kills."

Probably a couple more I can't think of

That's not really a 04511 problem, it's more like Arkane's personal spin on it which nobody really seemed to like. System Shock was all about using every murder tool you got, and the OG Deus Ex was pretty agnostic about body count. There's like one or two conversation triggers early on but for the most part your choice to kill the dobermans is entirely on you. Dishonored, Prey, and the new DX games very much have a rolled up newspaper for rapping you over the head and yelling 'bad dog!' every time you pull the trigger, I'd agree.

1(I refuse to use the term Immersive sim, it's dumb)

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

Prey doesn't tell you off for killing enemies. Unless you mean the survivors in which case it kind of should.

True, sorry. It's a lot less loud about than Dishonored (which was terribly heavy handed), but there's still several cheevos for never hurting humans, getting the most empathetic ending possible, etc. That and the (admittedly very minor) discouragement for using typhon powers is an explicit push to do x but not y, which players will pick up on and follow suit. It's one thing to use a carrot and stick when it comes to gameplay mechanics like sneaking vs loud, but when there's large signposts saying that taking left-handed doors will be held against you, it's no surprise that most players will never see what was behind that left door.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jan 2, 2022

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, but do you think people keep track of that? Going loud attracts all guards in a wide radius so you can end up depopulating certain stages if that's all who they have, and that's assuming you kill nothing but nameless NPCs and spare all the coup members who really really deserved it.

And that's the thing, right? Even if it's technically understated, players will have still heard about it and play around it, perverse incentives and all that. Hence the comparison to earlier titles; it's totally on the player if they wish to kill Lebedev, Navarre*, or Gunther etc. You only get a few comments by later characters; we'd have a lot of pissy posts if you couldn't get an ending if you failed to save Paul, etc. Likewise, SHODAN has a throwaway line about installing so many cybermods it looks like you're trying to emulate her machine perfection, but there isn't a huge flashing meter across your upgrade screen labelled "Remaining humanity", why would you gently caress with players like that?

So when new players hear "you can get a good or bad ending depending on how many people you kill", of course they're gonna loving be paranoid about lethality.

I know I'm writing a lot of words about this so I'll stop posting, sigh.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Nonono, you're right its totally a static line. My point was that the game can make quips about certain topics without disincentivizing the player with a mechanic. Buy dem mods, ascend from being a fleshy meatbag, guilt-free.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Since phantoms are raised from corpses, the named ones are from bodies that still had their ID tag on them. But yes it's confusing, but I feel intentionally so and it's a good spooky mystery.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

infernal machines posted:

Ah, the DX:HR method

Nah, the OG DX method. It went on record for being that way since some senior dev didn't want people to feel like they'd missed out on stuff when they got to the end of the game.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

aniviron posted:

If anyone hasn't yet played BX, CX, & DX, I recommend them.

I... what? This post in the right thread?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Just jump over them with the jetpack thingie? Also later in the run you're big enough to just blow them up. Or use a plot device to erase them, etc etc.

I'd really love it if they'd release a balance tweak and randomizer for Mooncrash, it has a lot more legs than its already-substantial playthrough gives you.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Do you seriously not love the splatter of whacking mimics with the wrench? Pearls before swine, I swear.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

gently caress this is good.

Standard issue warning: You eventually get the ability to craft the time-rewind thingies. Doing so trivializes the entire game, so try to avoid that. The ones found naturally are fine, of course.

Someone warned me of this, and I just dipped my toes in for a rewind or two. Ended up making the entire back half of the game boring, huge mistake. Don't be me.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'm 100% on board with leaving caches. Maybe not the cheaty-operator.

I kinda suspect that the game was designed or intended around not having any grindy/purchasable progression, where you complete each run stark naked with all neuromods unlocked and try to make it work from there - leaving stuff like the jetpack behind to those who need it most. Probably very honorable, and maybe got fudged a bit halfway through development as they found it too steep of a hill to climb without being able to gift yourself some pistol ammo and such.

All speculation of course, but it's an excellent take on the popular-at-the-time faux-roguelike fad and I'm glad Mooncrash exists.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The DX (lead?) dev went on record saying that they didn't want players locked out of endings due to things they did hours ago. While other titles have since embraced that limitation, it works well for DX in its own way of being open-ended and crawling through levels to see everything and then have a philosophical chat with someone about it at the end.

I appreciate it for what it was, and it also let us talk to our friends about which one they 'chose' and why. DX back in the day was mind-blowing and I'm glad we're still talking about its influences and legacies two decades later.

Oh, and I still want my Mooncrash full-sized game, you bastards!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Beaten to it, but yea: enemies don't respawn on a timer, but on a plot threshhold thing. It worked out well imo, as you're neverbeing harassed when just putzing about, but when moving with purpose (and new toys/ammo) there's always some new guy to deal with.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That first spoiler is a forehead-slap moment, I'm pretty sure it shoulda been obvious almost instantly in hindsight. Forearmed with the knowledge of what's gonna happen thanks to quicksaves, you can mess with the 'ambush', kind of like a competition of forward planning. Which is the ongoing theme from then onwards, I love it.

That being said I'm sure I missed a dozen other even more obvious things -_-

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Phigs posted:

I went in the freezer because that's how you get more quest in video games. Including Prey. If you don't go in the freezer you don't get the freezer sequence and you don't get anything else in return.

Very true. The only way to get people to opt out of content is to make it mutually exclusive with other content, such as branching paths. Which means that they're replay value, which is good, but also means you're working double-time for stuff some people will never see, which is bad.

I still go into the freezer.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That LAM not really an intended mechanic from the devs, that's just Navarre being psuedo-hostile as she spawns in and you getting the drop on her. Likewise, there's nothing stopping you from shooting the Prey dude in the face. Well I suppose there's some dialogue for killing Navarre, which is an intended outcome, while killing the dude just stops all the fun events from happening.

Which I suppose proves your point, hrm.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I've only played with the survival mods on, and I think carrying 3 tiny slots for 'just-in-case medkits' was a far preferable fate to listening to my bones crunch as I walk on them, egad.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Also, do yourself a favor and never fab that item, it totally breaks the game if you have an easy supply of those things instead of having to fight minibosses for them.

Nobody ever heeds to this advice, we just echo it to the next fool who won't listen.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'll chuck my 2c in and agree with Phigs's comment about conservative endings being good. Prey had a lot of space to talk about the nature of reality and simulations, and did so great. The ending's twist could have been moved forwards and explored upon or just left as an exercise to the reader via subtle hints or something.

A comparison can be made to The Talos Priciple, which was *very* heavy with philosophy of self/perceptions/etc and the freedom of the player's choice, but even if you took a 'bad' ending it didn't pop any 11th hour twists.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Hannibal Rex posted:

One aspect of the story that remained underdeveloped was that both Morgan and Alex were mass murders. You have that shunted off into the optional Mikhaila sub-plot, along with the various whistleblowers that got murked on the station. You never get to confront anyone about this because you're cursed to be a silent protagonist.

You can tie that back into the ending by killing Alex not because he failed in making phantom-Morgan empathetic, but because he succeeded, but that's in the player's head-canon, the game leaves it entirely open-ended.

Well yes and no? There's at least one email from Morgan expressing outrage at the inhumanities, so not all memory-wipe'd Morgan's are acting the same, which causes discussion with the scientists and Alex.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
There's an excerpt from an in-game news clipping about how some rich rear end in a top hat got an operator in a posh ivory humanoid chassis to be the executor of his will, much to the irritation of his family and sparking legal debate on it. Seeing how executors have to be of sound mind, that's pretty strong support for 'strong AI'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Arx Fatalis / Liberalis is right there. Unless we want a remake of that too, which I'm all on board for.