Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I distinctly remember going through my PDA and replaying the chef’s audio logs when I got to that point because I knew something was up just to confirm my memory, but I played along anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, outside of an inconveniently timed bit of hemorrhaging which usually meant that survivor was about to abruptly have their run end, the big trauma problem in Mooncrash was getting concussed and not being able to install new neuromods.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I only made some for the final “everyone out” run but they were largely superfluous by that point since I had everyone kitted and statted out well enough that I was able to speed on through before the sim level would have gotten too high.

But yeah, use the ones you find but don’t make a habit of them else a lot of the edge and tension comes off the experience.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Angry Diplomat posted:

I might be misremembering since I'm way overdue for another playthrough, but I believe there's also a weird log you can find (somewhere near the room with the "not a mimic" sticky notes, iirc) that details another scientist's proposal for the means of achieving that, and it sounds kinda weird and abrupt when the conversation ends with Alex going "nah we're not devoting resources to this." I wondered about that at the time, and ever since seeing the ending I've had a pet theory that that log (i.e. the memory thereof) has been edited to remove statements which would immediately make the captive Typhon realize it's in a simulation.

It wasn’t just a random scientist, Morgan wanted to do it. It was a big disagreement between the Yus. If I recall there’s even a tired comment from Alex later on about how he could never really say no to his sibling, so either logs of him agreeing was scrubbed or they took the conversation offline and Morgan finally wore him down.

And yeah that log was where I started to seriously ponder if the game was going in the direction it did, even though I didn’t get December’s ending.

Edit: once you’ve seen the ending, do yourself a favor and start a new game and just play for like 10 minutes. The scientists performing the “onboarding” tutorial/psychological testing have reactions that hit way different when you have the full scope of things.

Tortolia fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jun 14, 2023

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I always fell into the “enjoyed it, can see entirely why people might not like it” bucket.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

kneelbeforezog posted:

About the end and the nature of the typhoid. I dont recall really getting it. I understood you played the enemy alien, but as a separate entity from the rest of the typhoid sentient being, but what was the plan? to use you as a diplomat as a list ditch attempt to undo earth losing to the other aliens?

The core problem was that Typhon entities all lacked mirror neurons, making them physically incapable of any sense of empathy. As such, they just attacked and consumed anything that wasn’t part of the Typhon ecosystem.

Alex’s idea was to inject mirror neurons and human memories into a Typhon subject as a “not like we have any better ideas” plan. Ideally speaking, Typhon Morgan would properly integrate those neurons, be able to actually integrate empathic behaviors into itself, and then serve as a way to affect the Typhon horde in a way where they would stop just viewing humans as nothing more than a source for materials to propagate themselves further.

So “make a Typhon diplomat” isn’t incorrect, but he was approaching it from a more scientific “fix the core biological blocker” angle.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
If you go back to the early days of the thread there was a lot of discussion about Bethesda making GBS threads the bed on actually marketing Prey, coupled with IGN initially giving it an extremely low score due to a crash bug. Those combined with a relative lack of mass market interest in immersive sims are probably chief culprits to look at why Arkane Austin got forced to do Redfall afterwards, not a semi-controversial ending people weren’t going to hear about unless they were already looking at the title.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ToxicFrog posted:

Based on what we see in the game, I've always assumed that even if the sim is a true recreation of events, neither the fate of the escape pod nor shuttle Advent matter matter when it comes to Earth -- it is very likely that mimics had already made it there on other routine flights. The ending of Mooncrash implies another possible vector.

Given how there are multiple close calls on the station itself before the events of the game (ex. the circuit breaker audio log), as well as people making the trip to and from Talos for neuromod recording sessions, it’s reasonable to expect that Advent was compromised but absolutely not the first or only vector for Earth getting mimic exposures. They had escaped containment well before the obvious breach scenario began.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
If I recall there’s only one or two rooms in the entire station that mandate a specific ability to get into and there’s nothing unique or particularly valuable there anyway.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

tango alpha delta posted:

System Shock 2023>Prey

Goddamn is it good.

I would still say that Prey is better since it's based on two decades of enhancements to the genre design, but as someone who Kickstarted SS2023 and had basically written off that money I've been extremely pleased with it. Hoping Nightdive takes a crack at a remaster of the second game.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that's what I'd like to see happen .

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Marklar posted:

I didn't install any Typhon Neuromods for my entire playthrough. At some point, I'll do another one on a higher difficulty and use those heavily.

Do this for sure. Much like Dishonored made it sound like killing people was going to ruin your playthrough, Prey’s Typhon neuromod tutorial makes it sound like it’s going to just completely put you on a fast track to hell for even going near them, whereas the only practical side effect is after a few the security turrets register you as hostile.

Also consider Mooncrash if you want more Prey - it’s not as story first as the base game is, but it’s got some neat stuff mixed in and the gameplay loop is a lot of fun IMO. It’s on sale right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Red Crown posted:

One big hanging chad for me: A couple of logs mention a shuttle accidentally seeing a hidden military space station, but I never found anything more before I Perdition'd Talos. Where can I find more?

It’s largely just world setting - Talos isn’t the only manned offworld installation. Dahl was stationed at one such station, and Mooncrash sheds more light on the topic as well.