Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
Finally watched this (tried to) on Amazon video.

I got about halfway through it, god drat its boring.

For those who havent seen it or dont know the story its about this young man who decides he wants to renounce his material life and wander out into the cold-rear end woods to commit slow, agonizing suicide. (based on a true story)

Dont get me wrong, i'm all for people having self determination and making thier own path through life but the way this guy did it just annoyed the heck outta me. He was obviously from a nice family and had everything he needed growing up, the story starts with him graduating from Harvard and in a pivotal scene at the family celebration dinner at a really nice restaurant his parents piss him off by telling him that they want to buy him a new car as a graduation present (the bastards!). This seems to seal the deal on his plans to drop out of society. He burns all his forms of ID and cuts up his credit cards. He sends his life savings to Oxfam (okay fine, its a good charity at least), packs a backpack, jumps in his car and drives off to his new life as a homeless tramp so he can "find the truth about himself". gently caress his poor family, they never see his dumb rear end again as far as I could tell.

Above is the last known photo of a spoiled rich kid (the real one, not the movie one) before he died from eating poison berries.

Am I wrong? should I have more empathy for this guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
the poison berries he ate were actually seeds from the wild potato plant which up until like 3 years ago were considered edible but some biochemist guy read his journal and figured out that the seeds were actually highly toxic with an alkaloid that prevents your body from metabolizing other proteins if you don't cook them

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

nigga crab pollock posted:

the poison berries he ate were actually seeds from the wild potato plant which up until like 3 years ago were considered edible but some biochemist guy read his journal and figured out that the seeds were actually highly toxic with an alkaloid that prevents your body from metabolizing other proteins if you don't cook them

:lol:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

JiveHonky posted:

Am I wrong? should I have more empathy for this guy?
I enjoyed the movie but no, in so much that you should have empathy for anyone dying when it can be avoided, but I think the general idea was lol stupid rich white college kid was dumb

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
Your probs normal.

On a similar note, I feel no sympathy for that one guy who got stuck under a rock out in the wilderness since the number zero rule of wilderness is always telling somebody back in civilization where the hell you are going and when you will be back.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Dean of Swing posted:

Your probs normal.

On a similar note, I feel no sympathy for that one guy who got stuck under a rock out in the wilderness since the number zero rule of wilderness is always telling somebody back in civilization where the hell you are going and when you will be back.

serious, gently caress james franco

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
No,you shouldn't feel sympathy for him. He was young and dumb, and felt invincible. The book makes this very clear. The point is that as humans we live thinking we're the loving center of the universe, the protagonist in our own story, except nature is cruel and heartless.

The movie is a turgid affair, and I'd rather starve to death in a bus in Alaska next to a rotting moose than watch it again.

us vs also us
Jul 8, 2007

Hello! I hope you are having a nice day!
this movie looked really dumb and bad

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Reese Witherspoon was really good tho

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Hardawn posted:

i dont think i made it that far i was too aggrivated

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
moral of the story: nature doesnt care how much white guilt you have.

nature hates sjws, basically.

nature is part of the alt right.

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.
That's Alexander Supertramp, the guy that was born when Christopher McCandless died.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

spoilers: turns out the guy was dead the entire time

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

The movie seemed to completely miss the point of Krakauer's book.

kierrie
Jun 7, 2010
You're kinda wrong, he didn't want to die, he hosed up a few times and that led to his death. He is certainly not the stupidest person to ever die in the woods alone, read the book I recommend it.

For some people just being comfortable in life is not enough, but the vast majority of suburbanites will never understand this, all they want is to sit in front of the television and work a boring job their whole life and know where their next meal is coming from.

The movie is pretty good imo, sean penn did a good job.

us vs also us
Jul 8, 2007

Hello! I hope you are having a nice day!

Hardawn posted:

No, with a knife!

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
Already read the book, didn't need to waste money watching the movie.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

spank my snatch posted:

The movie seemed to completely miss the point of Krakauer's book.

about all there is to say really

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

The Cubelodyte posted:

Already read the book, didn't need to waste money watching the movie.

This will lead to a long fulfilling life, though you will probably miss some reeses pieces.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

I read the book and what I remember was he had a good enough family but was a huge prick and constantly distanced himself from people and then went out to Alaska and died of hubris/unnaturally heavy rainfall (or snowmelt?). Is that about the gist of it, climate change killed him because he was such an rear end in a top hat

slicing up eyeballs fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 28, 2017

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

It's funny op

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice
He didn't sac enough rice

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

slicing up eyeballs posted:

I read the book and what I remember was he had a good enough family but was a huge prick and constantly distanced himself from people and then went out to Alaska and died of hubris/unnaturally heavy rainfall (or snowmelt?). Is that about the gist of it, climate change killed him because he was such an rear end in a top hat

It's really not about him. It could be anybody is the point. He is just an example of one type of hubris against nature, if that makes sense. It's the type of hubris that Krakauer was interested in with this book.

Ice Blue Mink
Mar 21, 2017

by zen death robot

Owned.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Oscar Wild posted:

It's really not about him. It could be anybody is the point. He is just an example of one type of hubris against nature, if that makes sense. It's the type of hubris that Krakauer was interested in with this book.

I must have forgotten that part of the book but to be fair I read it like a decade ago and have a very stupid brain, so I'm glad I got the narrative right at least.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

quote:

As Krakauer points out, McCandless' field guide did not warn of any dangers of eating the seeds, which were not yet known to be toxic. Krakauer suspects this is the meaning of McCandless' journal entry of July 30, which states "EXTREMELY WEAK. FAULT OF POT[ATO] SEED. MUCH TROUBLE JUST TO STAND UP. STARVING. GREAT JEOPARDY."[23]

Ice Blue Mink
Mar 21, 2017

by zen death robot
His dying thoughts were of a particularly good episode of Jeopardy? My man!

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

slicing up eyeballs posted:

I must have forgotten that part of the book but to be fair I read it like a decade ago and have a very stupid brain, so I'm glad I got the narrative right at least.

You have the literal story right,and those details are important. Krakauer wrote the story as a sort of there but for the grace of God go I.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Wait I thought this was the dude who got eaten by fuckin' bears, but he just ate some poison seeds? Weak as hell.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I am become wolf. :wookie:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I admire saying gently caress it and going out to live on your own but jesus gently caress christ do some research beforehand don't literally just have a rage fit and go into the woods knowing nothing with 0 preparation you maroon.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

food court bailiff posted:

Wait I thought this was the dude who got eaten by fuckin' bears, but he just ate some poison seeds? Weak as hell.

Nah you're thinking of grizzly man by Werner Herzog which is a much more humanizing perspective on a similarly dumb person with an easily avoidable death

Ice Blue Mink
Mar 21, 2017

by zen death robot

Moridin920 posted:

I admire saying gently caress it and going out to live on your own but jesus gently caress christ do some research beforehand don't literally just have a rage fit and go into the woods knowing nothing with 0 preparation you maroon.

What specifically should he have researched?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Ice Blue Mink posted:

How make fire cook food

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ice Blue Mink posted:

He should at least know the most common stuff that is FOR SURE safe to eat around the area because 1) he isn't the only person to ever go wilderness exploring where he was I'm sure and 2) ok people didn't realize those potato seeds or whatever were toxic but hey that's why you don't eat poo poo until you're 100% sure.

There's a reason all the mushroom gathering guides have "DO NOT THINK YOU CAN IDENTIFY WHAT IS SAFE TO EAT AND WHAT IS NOT JUST BASED ON THIS BOOK" in giant block letters at the beginning.

He should have hired a guide or something to at least get him oriented to what the flora and fauna in the area is.

Ice Blue Mink
Mar 21, 2017

by zen death robot

Blue Train posted:

How make fire cook food

Yeah but even if he knew how to do that, there's no reason he would've cooked those potato seeds.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
All the Alaskans who Krakauer talked too said the kid was a complete dumbass and he was all baffled and kinda indignant about it in the book, which was funny.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah well you shouldn't eat raw food if you can at all help it that's definitely somewhere on the list of "poo poo you should know in the wilderness."

Even if those seeds weren't toxic that's a great way to pick up some strange and exciting disease.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice

Ice Blue Mink posted:

When to pull out, when to fold em and come back. " poo poo my supplies are low maybe I should hike out."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Ice Blue Mink posted:

Winter.

The importance of maps.

Not shrugging off a man who wants to buy you survival gear.

• Locked thread