Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I went on a real trip based on this book and the theories behind it and it was the stupidest thing I ever did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Did he really go do it in winter ffs lol.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Hardawn posted:

When to pull out, when to fold em and come back. " poo poo my supplies are low maybe I should hike out."

He tried. When the spring thaw came the frozen river he crossed coming in was an uncrossable raging rapid.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
Kid made the oldest mistake in the book: running directly for Hyrule Castle without making any health-restoring food or completing any of the four Divine Beasts, which would've given him the edge he needed to defeat Ganon and not perish in a bus

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Toadvine posted:

Nah you're thinking of grizzly man by Werner Herzog which is a much more humanizing perspective on a similarly dumb person with an easily avoidable death

I get even angrier at the grizzly man guy, just because he apparently would bring his gf out to risk death by bear. He didn't deserve the extremely slow death he got though, sad poo poo

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

All the Alaskans who Krakauer talked too said the kid was a complete dumbass and he was all baffled and kinda indignant about it in the book, which was funny.

Lmao, I forgot about this.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I really love Krakauer's writing but sometimes he has these weird moments where you can tell he wants something to mean something that it really, really doesn't mean.

Like Into the Wild really wants to make McCandless into someone meaningful despite all accounts indicating he was a dumb rebellious pseudo-intellectual rich kid who probably had an undiagnosed mental disorder and who died doing because of doing something profoundly, impulsively stupid in the woods.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 28, 2017

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

VendaGoat posted:

He tried. When the spring thaw came the frozen river he crossed coming in was an uncrossable raging rapid.

Yeah, so something simple like food poisoning or eating bad berries, became deadly rather than a small problem. Even if he had told people where he was staying he might have died because he was so isolated. For lack of a nail a horse was lost, etc.

Nature doesn't give a gently caress and needs to be respected. Humans have become so ensconced in easy comfort that we no longer fear or respect nature. It's why we get a couple of deaths every year from hikers on the Pacific Crest Trail. Even the pros can get their poo poo pushed in if they are arrogant, see the other Krakauer Into Thin Air.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

Moridin920 posted:

Did he really go do it in winter ffs lol.

Lmbo

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm a loving sheltered upper middle class kid with several diagnosed mental disorders and if I did what McCandless did I'd hope my obituary called me a loving dumbass instead of making me out to be some tortured wanderer. No, I did something really, basically stupid and I died from it.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What happened to the bus after ?

us vs also us
Jul 8, 2007

Hello! I hope you are having a nice day!
he must have really chowed down on those seeds lol!

us vs also us fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 28, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

unpacked robinhood posted:

What happened to the bus after ?

still there IIRC and it will be until it rusts into little pieces

you'd need a Sikorsky Skycrane to get it out of there

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

I'm a loving sheltered upper middle class kid with several diagnosed mental disorders and if I did what McCandless did I'd hope my obituary called me a loving dumbass instead of making me out to be some tortured wanderer. No, I did something really, basically stupid and I died from it.

Krakauer never said he was a tortured wanderer. Other retards hung that label on him. Krakauer wasn't buying the moody wanderer poo poo, which is why the book had that long aside about Krakauer nearly dying in a cave on Denali smoking Klondike Thunderfuck

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

still there IIRC and it will be until it rusts into little pieces

you'd need a Sikorsky Skycrane to get it out of there

I'm gonna take a road trip and piss on it

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Oscar Wild posted:

Krakauer never said he was a tortured wanderer. Other retards hung that label on him. Krakauer wasn't buying the moody wanderer poo poo, which is why the book had that long aside about Krakauer nearly dying in a cave on Denali smoking Klondike Thunderfuck

It's been a long time since I read it and TBH I was thinking of one specific part where Krakauer gets a bit huffy that all the Alaskans just called the kid full stop stupid.

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

Ice Blue Mink posted:

What specifically should he have researched?
Virtually anything on wilderness survival. His research consisted of being a big Thoreau fan and that's about it.

Like Into the Wild really wants to make McCandless into someone meaningful despite all accounts indicating he was a dumb rebellious pseudo-intellectual rich kid who probably had an undiagnosed mental disorder and who died doing because of doing something profoundly, impulsively stupid in the woods.
See, I feel like the movie did this, but Krakauer didn't.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

kierrie posted:

You're kinda wrong, he didn't want to die, he hosed up a few times and that led to his death. He is certainly not the stupidest person to ever die in the woods alone, read the book I recommend it.

For some people just being comfortable in life is not enough, but the vast majority of suburbanites will never understand this, all they want is to sit in front of the television and work a boring job their whole life and know where their next meal is coming from.

The movie is pretty good imo, sean penn did a good job.

Our ancestors literally spent thousands of years praying to a succession of uncaring, indifferent deities to somehow become 3% closer to having food security instead of dying from a variety of easily preventable causes, all of which can still happen the minute the ~~~adventurer~~~ does something so stupid that modern technology cannot compensate for it. Those rare individuals who really aren't comfortable living middle class lifestyles can always choose social work or, for the moderately psychopathic, grifting their way up Madoff style. The reason most of us can't understand people like this guy is because we aren't terminally dumb and/or don't have undiagnosed mental conditions.

basically this

Dean of Swing posted:

Winter.

The importance of maps.

Not shrugging off a man who wants to buy you survival gear.

and this

Moridin920 posted:

He should at least know the most common stuff that is FOR SURE safe to eat around the area because 1) he isn't the only person to ever go wilderness exploring where he was I'm sure and 2) ok people didn't realize those potato seeds or whatever were toxic but hey that's why you don't eat poo poo until you're 100% sure.

There's a reason all the mushroom gathering guides have "DO NOT THINK YOU CAN IDENTIFY WHAT IS SAFE TO EAT AND WHAT IS NOT JUST BASED ON THIS BOOK" in giant block letters at the beginning.

He should have hired a guide or something to at least get him oriented to what the flora and fauna in the area is.

his epic quest specifically included eating toadstools to get high*

*either that or he didn't know a red mushroom with white spots on the cap is a toadstool in which case, good luck with the whole trying to live thing wilderness friend

Adar fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 28, 2017

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone else laughed when the pothead retard blonde kid gets dusted in The Beach (2000) ?

ProSlayer
Aug 11, 2008

Hi friend
His family life was pretty messed up. He found out his father had a whole second life, which is why he distanced himself from him.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Since we are expressing opinions on McCandless I can sympathize with the need/want to go on an adventure and have a quest of self discovery. I can also feel that wandering into one of the harshest loving environments in the northern hemisphere, without doing your due diligence is loving colossal hubris. A .22 rifle, a few pounds of rice, a guidebook and some basic camping gear in Alaska. That's just loving stupid.

I enjoyed the portion of his journey when he was just wandering around the country, bumming through the wilderness. That was an interesting portion. Even when he abandoned his car in the desert and hoofed it out, I thought it was just a minor bump in the road of a young man finding out who he is.

Pride killed him, it wasn't the wilderness. Stupid, bull headed, pride.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

ProSlayer posted:

His family life was pretty messed up. He found out his father had a whole second life, which is why he distanced himself from him.

Who cares

us vs also us
Jul 8, 2007

*into the wild guy voice* Oh my god these potato seeds are so good! Sheila come over here you have to try these seeds!!! (sheila is a squirrel)

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

spank my snatch posted:

The movie seemed to completely miss the point of Krakauer's book.

Was the point of Krakauer's book what an awesome survivalist Krakauer is and how the rest of you weekend warriors deserve what's coming to you?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Was the point of Krakauer's book what an awesome survivalist Krakauer is and how the rest of you weekend warriors deserve what's coming to you?

Hard to argue with that tbh

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

You should show that big stuck up know it all what a jerk he is by wandering into the Alaskan wilderness with nothing but a copy of Walden and an out of date book about seeds.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

kierrie posted:

You're kinda wrong, he didn't want to die, he hosed up a few times and that led to his death. He is certainly not the stupidest person to ever die in the woods alone, read the book I recommend it.

For some people just being comfortable in life is not enough, but the vast majority of suburbanites will never understand this, all they want is to sit in front of the television and work a boring job their whole life and know where their next meal is coming from.

The movie is pretty good imo, sean penn did a good job.

yeah but it seemed like he had planned for a while to go off the grid, he couldve saved his parents Harvard tuition since he clearly didnt intend to do jack poo poo with his ivy league loving degree.

i want to punch his dead face

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

spank my snatch posted:

Virtually anything on wilderness survival. His research consisted of being a big Thoreau fan and that's about it.

Probably one of the worst people to hold up as an example of a survivalist

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Adar posted:

his epic quest specifically included eating toadstools to get high*

*either that or he didn't know a red mushroom with white spots on the cap is a toadstool in which case, good luck with the whole trying to live thing wilderness friend

Lol again at mccandless but this article is pretty damning against Krakauer, I didn't realize he'd made up so much poo poo in the book.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
that guy is a chump, watch this guys movie instead. walks into Alaskan wilderness with a backpack full of metal hand tools, and builds a log cabin to live in for 30 years:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYJKd0rkKss

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

JiveHonky posted:

yeah but it seemed like he had planned for a while to go off the grid, he couldve saved his parents Harvard tuition since he clearly didnt intend to do jack poo poo with his ivy league loving degree.

i want to punch his dead face

The op got that wrong; he actually went to Emory.

There's one section in the book where Krakauer talks about Lenin's early life iirc, and how he went on similar adventures to Supertramp here. Everybody makes mistakes sometimes in wilderness settings, and you learn from those mistakes what not to do. Most of the time, it's not fatal. Not that he wasn't ill prepared for what he did, but I think that was part of what he was after - he knew he was poorly prepared, and he figured he'd make do anyway by learning as he went.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Rutibex posted:

that guy is a chump, watch this guys movie instead. walks into Alaskan wilderness with a backpack full of metal hand tools, and builds a log cabin to live in for 30 years:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYJKd0rkKss

this guy owns really hard

not quite as hard as this guy though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRxDsvPAG2w

ROFLburger fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 28, 2017

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I thought this was about the movie "Without a Paddle", lol

I like that guy who liked bears and made bear suits and then went to live among the bears and was killed by the bears

I don't feel sorry for people eaten by animals who thought they were going to be Uncle Remus with a bluebird on their shoulder. Nature gives no fucks.

us vs also us
Jul 8, 2007

us vs also us posted:

*into the wild guy voice* Oh my god these potato seeds are so good! Sheila come over here you have to try these seeds!!! (sheila is a squirrel)

The squirrel knows not to eat the seeds because they are poison

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
op you're right

the guy the movie was based on was a huge dummo

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ice Blue Mink posted:

What specifically should he have researched?

There was an aid station not five miles from McCandless' camp, if he had brought a map or knew his own orientation he could have trudged to it and likely saved his life.

Basically it's cool that he wanted to withdraw from his own sheltered upbringing and live a new life, but ironically his own sheltered upbringing blinded himself to the real actual challenges of living out in the wilderness and he paid the ultimate price for it. The end.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Oscar Wild posted:

Nature doesn't give a gently caress and needs to be respected. Humans have become so ensconced in easy comfort that we no longer fear or respect nature. It's why we get a couple of deaths every year from hikers on the Pacific Crest Trail. Even the pros can get their poo poo pushed in if they are arrogant, see the other Krakauer Into Thin Air.

Dude I get amazed at the amount of idiots that will go up to wild rear end animals like they are a pet doggie.

like holy poo poo I'm not some outdoors person at all but even I know not to go try and pet something that can kill me

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
If he would have gone gay for bears he would have been able to last the winter next to a warm fuzzy tummy.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
dumbos in La Jolla complaining about the sea lions attacking them when they get close it's like yeah idiot they're wild animals lmao

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

Dude I get amazed at the amount of idiots that will go up to wild rear end animals like they are a pet doggie.

like holy poo poo I'm not some outdoors person at all but even I know not to go try and pet something that can kill me

Yellowstone buffalo. It's astounding what people will do to a half of ton of animal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Bison can run 45mph and jump 8ft in the air

They usually don't but this is why they can't be domesticated. They look pretty calm... when you leave them alone.

• Locked thread