Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
read the book. the guy seems a lot more complex than i suppose any 2 or 3 hour movie can show. and of course the movie will want to have a definite narrative a lot more than an extended piece of journalism, which is what the book tries to be.

what he did wasn't the smartest thing in the world, but i don't think he's immediately condemnable.

or, if you want a movie that genuinely complexifies a complex case of this kind, watch grizzly man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Bison can run 45mph and jump 8ft in the air

drat I'm about to set up a bisonball league

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
one of my friends went to go to that bus in the story and they were a few days off from returning so their parents an family called them missing and they sent a rescue force to help them but they really didnt need it and was on the way back and jezebel.com wrote an article about them being dumb white men

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

what he did wasn't the smartest thing in the world, but i don't think he's immediately condemnable.

I don't think he's condemnable, I just think he did a really foolish thing and I pity his family (I'd say I pity him but he's dead) but I feel like it's natural to also find morbid humor in the situation.

It's like when someone hurts themselves and you laugh.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

nomadologique posted:

read the book. the guy seems a lot more complex than i suppose any 2 or 3 hour movie can show. and of course the movie will want to have a definite narrative a lot more than an extended piece of journalism, which is what the book tries to be.

or, if you want a movie that genuinely complexifies a complex case of this kind, watch grizzly man.

the book was essentially made up on the spot because the crazy man's journal it's based on averaged three words per day of writing that was tainted by the onset of paranoid schizophrenia and/or eating fly agaric to get his buzz on

also the crazy man wanted to get from here

https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...!4d-149.7690582

to here

https://www.google.com/maps/place/U...!4d-160.7993317

without a detailed map or supplies

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Adar posted:

the book was essentially made up on the spot because the crazy man's journal it's based on averaged three words per day of writing that was tainted by the onset of paranoid schizophrenia and/or eating fly agaric to get his buzz on

to here

So that's Denali National Park?

In winter?

... I didn't read the book but uh did this dude have a death wish or what? 'Cuz there are easier ways to kill yourself.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

If those idiot cave men from a hundred years ago could do it it will be easy as poo poo for me, priveleged white man

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

people who have death wishes often are not direct about it.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

and yes, he probably had a death wish, which immediately makes this story more complex than "kid was dumb."

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

what if you went into the story thinking he got more or less exactly what he was hoping for?

is that a story worth mulling over?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Vice has a good documentary about some dude and his wife who have lived in a cabin in the Alaskan wilderness for the past 30 years. It's especially memorable because the Vice dudes start out in their skinny jeans and perfectly manicured undercuts prepared to be all like "look at this weirdo lmao" but by the end are visibly moved by his perspective and reasons for living on his own.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Adar posted:

there is plenty about him before he reaches alaska, derived from people who met him and lived around him for months, which gives some idea of what he was up to. that's the bulk of the book, as i recall.

the wilderness stuff would have had to be made up.

we do get some idea of who this person might have been, which is what it's really about, not entirely about the facts but about the person living them. no we can't separate those facts from the person, but we are trying to see him amidst them.

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich
I'm mentally ill and i am going to do this. Tips?

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

Adar posted:

to here

To be fair, once he got to the coast he just had to avoid falling in the water to get to Unalakleet.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I think a lot of people are taking the Krakauer book and the movie as gospel. A few years back the McCandless family finally released details about Chris and Corrine's upbringings that were only touched upon in the books. Corrine (his sister) wrote a book titled "The Wild Truth" which makes everything come together.
(related article: http://www.cpr.org/news/story/chris-mccandless-sisters-explain-why-he-went-wild )

There's also a theory that he didn't die from the potato seeds, but instead from a fungus they were contaminated with. Most healthy people would have survived but he couldn't due to being malnourihed.

I wouldn't wish his childhood on anyone, and I respect his decision to try to find out what life was about. Unfortunately, he only learned that the whole world hates you and is actively trying to kill you most of the time.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

Erostratus posted:

step 1: prepare mentally and physically for months
step 2: die in a bus anyway

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Erostratus posted:

I saw your E/N thread and out of respect for the people with very real problems I haven't posted there but YOU SIR ARE AN IDIOT

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Secular Humanist posted:

step 1: prepare mentally and physically for months
step 2: die in a bus anyway

step 1.5: bring a cart

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

I saw your E/N thread and out of respect for the people with very real problems I haven't posted there but YOU SIR ARE AN IDIOT

:same:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I'm mentally ill and I'm looking into an extended suicide starting with wandering off into the woods, any pointers?
-an attention whore who should be ashamed of themselves

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
If suicide is the end game you can skip the extended part, I can assure you nobody cares

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!
empathy is for losers , i relate to all my fellow man by belittling them

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
When I'm in a tough spot in my life and needing guidance where's the first place I go?

That's right. GBS.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

White Rock posted:

empathy is for losers , i relate to all my fellow man by belittling them

then read this great thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3807345

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Remember that girl who drowned trying to get to the bus? Say what you will about McCandless, but dying just so you could see where the dude went has got to be worse.

us vs also us
Jul 8, 2007

Hello! I hope you are having a nice day!

Erostratus posted:

Try the potato seeds! :)

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich

When I'm in a tough spot in my life and needing guidance where's the first place I go?

That's right. GBS.

So you're saying i should pack more toadstools?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I'm saying if you're privileged enough to be able bodied and able minded (you are not mentally disabled like some people, you are mentally ill like literally everybody else) then you should take this amazing piece of luck and loving run with it instead of imploding like someone who DOESN'T have built in support structures they've completely taken for granted or supportive people they've alienated themselves from by being a jagoff. You are wasted potential and nobody should feel sorry for your waste of a brain and body when there are millions of people who would trade places with you to be a brokebrained idiot in the richest land that has ever been known

gently caress you.

e: I'm "mentally ill" and I know this because I want to smash your loving face with a sledgehammer when I read your "I wonder if dental floss will support my body weight" type posts instead of just pitying you like a sucker would

Harold Stassen fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 28, 2017

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The EN thread is pretty cool light reading

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

unpacked robinhood posted:

The EN thread is pretty cool light reading

its p funny actually

He's going to join up with a gang of crust punks

:krust:

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Erostratus posted:

go back to your own thread.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Do I get banned if that guy whacks himself? :ohdear:

That is literally the worst case scenario for all involved

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
The ending of Into the Wild only instead of death hallucinations about his family it will be about goons getting banned en masse.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
"gently caress it!"

brb, going homeless

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I love showing this film to my older classes. They generally can't believe he goes off alone and dies like a chump.

us vs also us
Jul 8, 2007

Hello! I hope you are having a nice day!

Andrew_1985 posted:

I love showing this film to my older classes. They generally can't believe he goes off alone and dies like a chump.

I'm curious if by "older classes" you mean old people and you think that like millennials would not have this reaction to the film or something??

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich
Just lol if you want to work for a living and not spend every waking moment talking to aliens while smoking dmt.

I have enough rice and ayahuasca bro, I think I got this.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Space farting aliens

fbsw
Mar 3, 2016
i think it's kinda sad that a guy tried something he thought he would like and died :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

us vs also us posted:

I'm curious if by "older classes" you mean old people and you think that like millennials would not have this reaction to the film or something??

16/17/18 yos

• Locked thread