Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

fbsw posted:

i think it's kinda sad that a guy tried something he thought he would like and died :confused:

Actually its really funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think it's funny or sad tbh

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Funny: the blonde kid who gets owned in The Beach (2000)

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

cool new Polack jokes posted:

I'm saying if you're privileged enough to be able bodied and able minded (you are not mentally disabled like some people, you are mentally ill like literally everybody else) then you should take this amazing piece of luck and loving run with it instead of imploding like someone who DOESN'T have built in support structures they've completely taken for granted or supportive people they've alienated themselves from by being a jagoff. You are wasted potential and nobody should feel sorry for your waste of a brain and body when there are millions of people who would trade places with you to be a brokebrained idiot in the richest land that has ever been known

gently caress you.

e: I'm "mentally ill" and I know this because I want to smash your loving face with a sledgehammer when I read your "I wonder if dental floss will support my body weight" type posts instead of just pitying you like a sucker would

this post makes you look really fuckin moronic in light of the one like 4-5 posts above yours that talks about how this dude and his sisters were hella abused as kids

good job gently caress nut hahahaha

fbsw
Mar 3, 2016

Trunko posted:

Actually its really funny

oooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Moridin920 posted:

this post makes you look really fuckin moronic in light of the one like 4-5 posts above yours that talks about how this dude and his sisters were hella abused as kids

I'm talking about this guy

Erostratus posted:

I'm mentally ill and i am going to do this. Tips?

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

unpacked robinhood posted:

Funny: the blonde kid who gets owned in The Beach (2000)

This is twice you've mentioned it post a clip share the wealth

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
You have some nerve!!!!

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
What do you think his last thought was?

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

Smash it Smash hit posted:

What do you think his last thought was?

"At least I'm not racist."

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Freezing to death is one of the least painful ways to die I've heard, but I dunno how they know for certain. You just kinda go to sleep before your body actually shuts down its other processes, so technically you don't feel anything after you've already reached that point (but that is surely to be painful to get there)

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Freezing to death is one of the least painful ways to die I've heard, but I dunno how they know for certain. You just kinda go to sleep before your body actually shuts down its other processes, so technically you don't feel anything after you've already reached that point (but that is surely to be painful to get there)

Numerous people have "died" a frozen death and been resuscitated minutes and hours later.

Here's a good story written from the perspective of someone who freezes nearly to death.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2152131/freezing-death

quote:

This situation, you realize with an immediate sense of panic, is serious. Scrambling to rise, you collapse in pain, your ankle crumpling beneath you.

As you sink back into the snow, shaken, your heat begins to drain away at an alarming rate, your head alone accounting for 50 percent of the loss. The pain of the cold soon pierces your ears so sharply that you root about in the snow until you find your hat and mash it back onto your head.

But even that little activity has been exhausting. You know you should find your glove as well, and yet you’re becoming too weary to feel any urgency. You decide to have a short rest before going on.

An hour passes. at one point, a stray thought says you should start being scared, but fear is a concept that floats somewhere beyond your immediate reach, like that numb hand lying naked in the snow. You’ve slid into the temperature range at which cold renders the enzymes in your brain less efficient. With every one-degree drop in body temperature below 95, your cerebral metabolic rate falls off by 3 to 5 percent. When your core temperature reaches 93, amnesia nibbles at your consciousness. You check your watch: 12:58. Maybe someone will come looking for you soon. Moments later, you check again. You can’t keep the numbers in your head. You’ll remember little of what happens next

Toadvine fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 28, 2017

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Ice Blue Mink posted:

What specifically should he have researched?

How to suck enough dicks to get the money so he had more than a 5 pound bag of rice and a .22

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Erostratus posted:

I'm mentally ill and i am going to do this. Tips?

Eat every kind of seed.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
eh, I feel for him. Its one thing to be a nepotistic kid who inherits the family business, its another to renounce your wealth and material possessions.

even if he was stupid, he had honorable intentions

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

I've experienced the early stages of hypothermia and getting there is not a good time. After that though you do just feel really sleepy and confused. You know that couple of seconds after you wake up from a nap and you have no idea what the gently caress is happening? That's kinda what it feels like.

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

I saw it a bunch of times when I was a teenager and thought the guy seemed really cool. Watching it 10 years later he seems like a huge rear end in a top hat.

In the book I think one of his family members is quoted saying something like "how could someone with supposedly so much compassion and feeling do this to their family?" or as op said gently caress his poor family

you could just leave a note, "see ya pops, im off to go die in the woods or somethin lol (btw i never forgave you for having me and my sister out of wedlock)"

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
I bet his last thought was "man I could really go for a burger right now"

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
i think it's the same as we all have "huh so that's what life was"

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

If he died of hypothermia his last thoughts were probably an incoherent jumble hth

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
If I was dying of exposure I would be like "man I could really use a jacket right now"

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

"I wonder what's happening on gbs right now"

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

JiveHonky posted:

Finally watched this (tried to) on Amazon video.

I got about halfway through it, god drat its boring.

For those who havent seen it or dont know the story its about this young man who decides he wants to renounce his material life and wander out into the cold-rear end woods to commit slow, agonizing suicide. (based on a true story)

Dont get me wrong, i'm all for people having self determination and making thier own path through life but the way this guy did it just annoyed the heck outta me. He was obviously from a nice family and had everything he needed growing up, the story starts with him graduating from Harvard and in a pivotal scene at the family celebration dinner at a really nice restaurant his parents piss him off by telling him that they want to buy him a new car as a graduation present (the bastards!). This seems to seal the deal on his plans to drop out of society. He burns all his forms of ID and cuts up his credit cards. He sends his life savings to Oxfam (okay fine, its a good charity at least), packs a backpack, jumps in his car and drives off to his new life as a homeless tramp so he can "find the truth about himself". gently caress his poor family, they never see his dumb rear end again as far as I could tell.

Above is the last known photo of a spoiled rich kid (the real one, not the movie one) before he died from eating poison berries.

Am I wrong? should I have more empathy for this guy?

nope. the stupid rear end in a top hat made his way to the bus in Alaska, learned nothing on the way and died alone anyway

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The destination changes, but the journey and result is always the same

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I have no idea why anyone would respect him

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

He was an idiot bitch and thinking he embodies the individualistic spirit or whatever outs you as basic as gently caress

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Blue Train posted:

He was an idiot bitch and thinking he embodies the individualistic spirit or whatever outs you as basic as gently caress

he was Bill Gates, without all the good parts.

Or the interesting parts

Or the smart parts.

He was just a stupid rear end in a top hat who died in a bus less than a mile away from help, because he didn't do any research about going to live in Alaska

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Kid was a special snowflake that darwin took from us just in time.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

how did the bus get there?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Machai posted:

Bigfoot

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Machai posted:

yeah its almost like, if you see a bus in the wilderness you can assume a road or something might be near by and maybe look around? i donno i guess thats crazy, better to starve to death :shrug:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Rutibex posted:

yeah its almost like, if you see a bus in the wilderness you can assume a road or something might be near by and maybe look around? i donno i guess thats crazy, better to starve to death :shrug:

he really was dumb as poo poo wasn't he.
I'm not going to find the road this bus came from I'm just going to sit here and die because I can't survive on my own

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I pissed off everyone to get here. no one will like me if I survive

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Fog Tripper posted:

Kid was a special snowflake that darwin took from us just in time.

Whereas this lady walked from NYC to Alaska in the 1920's, by herself, in order to get back to Russia. She might have even made it all the way to Siberia, although she probably died in/near the Bering Sea. But she was the opposite of McCandless, like she went to the NYC public library to chart her course, and didn't hike in the winter. This article tells her story much better.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I also am curious about the bus

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

I also am curious about the bus

some other retard off roaded it for a while. It was a bus. There has to be a road near by.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
it was a loving bus.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The converted bus where McCandless lived and died has since become a well-known destination for hikers. Known as "The Magic Bus", the 1946 International Harvester was abandoned by road workers in 1961 on the Stampede Trail where it remains today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
It is in a nation park I am guessing there was a road there when it wasn't a national park

• Locked thread