Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Thanks a lot teddy :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Blue Train posted:

The converted bus where McCandless lived and died has since become a well-known destination for hikers. Known as "The Magic Bus", the 1946 International Harvester was abandoned by road workers in 1961 on the Stampede Trail where it remains today.

McCandless was an rear end in a top hat idiot. Yeah

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

My new DJ name is MC Candles

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

us vs also us posted:

*into the wild guy voice* Oh my god these potato seeds are so good! Sheila come over here you have to try these seeds!!! (sheila is a squirrel)

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
I feel like for the mentally ill guy who wants to do this, it helps if you're the kind of mentally ill where you stock up on survival gear. Go through like a month-long phase where you're a hoarder but all you hoard is copies of the boy scout manual. And maps. Just like an entire spare room of your house full of maps.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

scuba school sucks posted:

I feel like for the mentally ill guy who wants to do this, it helps if you're the kind of mentally ill where you stock up on survival gear. Go through like a month-long phase where you're a hoarder but all you hoard is copies of the boy scout manual. And maps. Just like an entire spare room of your house full of maps.

I would respect McCandles more if he had a boy scout manual when he died alone in that bus

sketch_nimrod
Apr 1, 2010
iirc the bus was dragged in for some reason, and there used to be three of them can you imagine

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

He would have been fine if he had been more tactical.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I can never think about this guy without also thinking about that idiot goon who had a manic episode, quit his job, and wanted to do a death-march from California, through Texas, and down to Florida in summer. He took everything in a stroller and lasted maybe 2-3 days before giving up. He was fortunately in a national park at the time. There were pages and pages of people who were experts who did outdoorsy stuff for a living telling him "don't do this, dumbass, or you'll die" but it didn't matter. Even if this McCandless guy had people around him trying to dissuade him from doing something so dangerous and ill-conceived, he probably would have been so convinced of his own purpose that he would have gone off and died anyway.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Pawn 17 posted:

He would have been fine if he had been more tactical.

Maybe. Non-perishable food is a handy thing to have on a long camping trip even if you don't intend to eat it. So are compact communication gadgets, signaling stuff, etc. Even bringing a more powerful rifle along may have saved his dumb rear end if he used it to signal for help.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Jeremiah Johnson he wasn't. However he didnt have a old trapper guy to help him out either.

I am somewhat comfortable in my abilties in the wild and my gear. That said I would never loving hike into Alaska with a .22 and rice.

Wasnt the movie just a backdrop for bad eddie vetter songs?

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
everyone should watch the werner herzog documentary about the Grizzly Man who was an idiot who got eaten by grizzly bears on purpose

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Dude's all having an emotional breakdown about a dead bee. Talking to a fox and you can tell the fox is like "what in the actual gently caress is wrong with this guy".

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I can never think about this guy without also thinking about that idiot goon who had a manic episode, quit his job, and wanted to do a death-march from California, through Texas, and down to Florida in summer. He took everything in a stroller and lasted maybe 2-3 days before giving up. He was fortunately in a national park at the time. There were pages and pages of people who were experts who did outdoorsy stuff for a living telling him "don't do this, dumbass, or you'll die" but it didn't matter. Even if this McCandless guy had people around him trying to dissuade him from doing something so dangerous and ill-conceived, he probably would have been so convinced of his own purpose that he would have gone off and died anyway.
lol that guy only made it 28 miles in three days, like he literally
barely made it to the other side of the city he started in

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

then the wheel on his dopey bitchcart broke followed immedately by the connection between the last two neurons in his retarded head

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
i should have been given the opportunities mccandless squandered! HE HAD EVERYTHING AND HE THREW IT ALL AWAAAAAY!!!

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

whoflungpoop posted:

then the wheel on his dopey bitchcart broke followed immedately by the connection between the last two neurons in his retarded head

Is that thread goldmined? God I bet that was fun time.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
While I find it hard to hate someone for saying "yep, nope not doing that" I also can't find sympathy for someone who isn't prepared.

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

sketch_nimrod posted:

iirc the bus was dragged in for some reason, and there used to be three of them can you imagine

It was some sort of hunting camp I think, there was a woodburning stove in there and cots.

Probably smelled like dead guy for awhile.

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR

Oscar Wild posted:

The movie is a turgid affair, and I'd rather

haha turd gid

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Pitdragon posted:

i should have been given the opportunities mccandless squandered! HE HAD EVERYTHING AND HE THREW IT ALL AWAAAAAY!!!

Just because you're born into a wealthy family doesn't mean they won't be abusive shitheads who break you emotionally.

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

the into the wild guy is like the male version of those girls you meet who call themselves "free spirits"

except instead of banging a bunch of guys and living an "adventurous" life of hostelling and dancing or something he tried to pull a kerouac by walking into a forest and starving

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
it takes real skill to starve in alaska

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
so many people bamboozled exactly how this young person wanted them to be bamboozled, believing it's about the external wilderness, and not some terror and darkness in the soul of humankind.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That's a lot of strong opinions about a guy who walked into the woods to die, not even pretending to make a statement, killing no one but himself in the process.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Putty posted:

everyone should watch the werner herzog documentary about the Grizzly Man who was an idiot who got eaten by grizzly bears on purpose

he got his gf munched on too

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

protip for people wanting to find themselves:

you only exist, really, when you are communicating with other people, in contrast to them.

finding yourself by being a woods hobo is like trying to diagnose your engine by throwing your keys away :iiaca:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Nah, it's about a kid who didn't realize what he had until he was starving in the woods in Alaska.

Geez imagine thinking about how you blew your shot at a decent life and are going to die alone in the woods. He'd be like 50 now.

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

Blue Train posted:

Hard to argue with that tbh
oh yeh?
well
jon krakwhore sounds like a lying bitch.

trying to romanticize something up in here to get osme booty like an old uni professor gettin some 20 yr old strange

quote:

"When Jon did his first book tour and came to Fairbanks, I met with him ... and told him I left a bunch of books at the bus the January before McCandless walked in," Benowitz told ADN. "He seemed far more interested in female company than the truth."

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

This dude did it for a couple years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYJKd0rkKss

Maybe he should have been this prepared.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

he got his gf munched on too

He was a rear end in a top hat for putting his girlfriend in danger.

http://www.yellowstone-bearman.com/Tim_Treadwell.html

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
lol if you can only define your existence in the context of other people

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

nigga crab pollock posted:

the poison berries he ate were actually seeds from the wild potato plant which up until like 3 years ago were considered edible but some biochemist guy read his journal and figured out that the seeds were actually highly toxic with an alkaloid that prevents your body from metabolizing other proteins if you don't cook them

Yeah and isn't the reason that they were previously thought to be edible because they are only poison for some parts of the year, but at other times they are fine?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Moridin920 posted:

lol if you can only define your existence in the context of other people

Lol if you think you are self-sufficient

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

chaosbreather posted:

protip for people wanting to find themselves:

you only exist, really, when you are communicating with other people, in contrast to them.

hermit protip: develop multiple personalities

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

a new study bible! posted:

Yeah and isn't the reason that they were previously thought to be edible because they are only poison for some parts of the year, but at other times they are fine?

Nature is not just cruel and uncaring, but also a deceptive dick about it. Thanks nature.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Lol if you think you are self-sufficient

i'm not but I don't even know if you are all real why should I conform to your dumbo expectations

if you can't live in a cabin in the woods solo for a few months lol at you that's all I'm sayin

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
it's like those people who leap from one relationship to the next because they can't stand being alone with themselves

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Putty posted:

The fact that he got eaten by a bear wasnt as shocking as finding out he had a girlfriend :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
live alone for months on end without talking to anyone but its not by choice

• Locked thread