Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

a new study bible! posted:

Yeah and isn't the reason that they were previously thought to be edible because they are only poison for some parts of the year, but at other times they are fine?

If you're a healthy human being you're probably fine, but if your body is already compromised from malnourishment (as McCandless' almost certainly was) then they can be lethal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Moridin920 posted:

it's like those people who leap from one relationship to the next because they can't stand being alone with themselves

Well thry certainly can't stand being with you

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Rutibex posted:

hermit protip: develop multiple personalities

Better protip: develop immunities from multiple types of natural toxins and learn how to butcher and preserve meat.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Oscar Wild posted:

Better protip: develop immunities from multiple types of natural toxins and learn how to butcher and preserve meat.

Best protip: find a job and eke out a modest existence until cancer or the simple passage of time claims you

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

exquisite tea posted:

If you're a healthy human being you're probably fine, but if your body is already compromised from malnourishment (as McCandless' almost certainly was) then they can be lethal.

Yea, and he was still just REALLY roughing it; he would have just been malnourished and weaker but very much alive if he hadn't eaten what nobody knew to be poison. Like, if he'd killed and properly preserved something along the of a deer he probably would have been able to get out of there.

I have sympathy for that. Dude was kind of dumb for going out there like that but it's not like he tried to climb Everest with that equipment. He was still on a trail mild enough to get a bus out there on.

He could have brought emergency rations and still starved to death if he'd been weak and eaten those seeds.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
protip: seek the gateway to your own heart.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Tumble posted:

Yea, and he was still just REALLY roughing it; he would have just been malnourished and weaker but very much alive if he hadn't eaten what nobody knew to be poison. Like, if he'd killed and properly preserved something along the of a deer he probably would have been able to get out of there.

I have sympathy for that. Dude was kind of dumb for going out there like that but it's not like he tried to climb Everest with that equipment. He was still on a trail mild enough to get a bus out there on.

He could have brought emergency rations and still starved to death if he'd been weak and eaten those seeds.

If there is a lesson to be learned here it is that for all our purported achievements we are still effortlessly owned before Mother Nature, for she herself will not be fooled.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
5 year plan: become a died-rear end person in a bus to prove nothing about anything to anybody

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

exquisite tea posted:

If there is a lesson to be learned here it is that for all our purported achievements we are still effortlessly owned before Mother Nature, for she herself will not be fooled.

McCandless tries to be the ultimate pickup (bus) artist by negging Mother Nature, ends up alone anyway. The fate of all PUAs

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Secular Humanist posted:

5 year plan: become a died-rear end person in a bus to prove nothing about anything to anybody

he died doing what he loved

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I once did a 40-mile run on a trail that was marked only by little ribbons tied to trees. I almost missed one of the markers and if I kept going could have gotten for hours in freezing weather out in the middle of the woods in rural NY. That would have been scary as hell on its own, nobody knew where I was supposed to be and I could have gotten injured or worse. Basically the only reason why half of us don't die every other year is because our ancestors carved just enough out of old wood and primitive technology to keep themselves alive, and the second you abandon the comforts of civilization, you're minutes away from death at every turn.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I will go live inside of mother nature's most beautiful creation: the bus

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
thats no bus, THATS MY WIFE!!!!!!!!

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

I read the book. Main thing I remember is the guy just wouldn't listen to locals anywhere.

In Alaska, they told him he was coming at the wrong time of the year to do it.

Don't show up just as the thaw is happening.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

donkey salami posted:

I read the book. Main thing I remember is the guy just wouldn't listen to locals anywhere.

The brutal irony of McCandless is that he thought by living as a vagabond he was rejecting a life of superficiality and privilege, when in fact it was his own privilege that blinded him to the very real dangers of roughing it in the Alaskan wilderness.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tumble posted:

He was still on a trail mild enough to get a bus out there on.

Did the bus get there in the summer though? 'Cuz Alaska seasons change wildly.

idk if the locals tell him 'absolutely you should not do this' and he does it anyway like :shrug: the locals know better than you man

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Going from memory, so please excuse any errors.

That bus was left there because of miners using the stampede trail to get to and from the mine. Basically abandoned because, :lol:, get a wrecker through the Alaskan bush to recover it.

Dude went in in the dead of winter, hosed up a number of small things, started to run low on rice. Dysentery struck and he made one or two attempts to hike the 20 or so miles back to the closest town, just to find he was trapped by the spring thaw and the raging river that criss crosses the trail.

Goes back to camp and his body begins to deteriorate, despite eating tons of rabbits. Rabbit starvation was one of the things thought to have contributed to his demise, btw.

Finally, he becomes too weak, his food reserves run out, he dies of exposure and extreme malnutrition.

I think he was something like 83 pounds when they recovered his body.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
I thought the Blair Witch got him :confused:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Pawn 17 posted:

He would have been fine if he had been more tactical.

Always have the necessary tools for the job!

https://www.amazon.com/Smith-Wesson-SWPENBK-Tactical-Pen/dp/B0026W4ZW4

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

VendaGoat posted:

Rabbit starvation

See that's some poo poo I would not have known about and probably would have hosed up on if I didn't learn about wilderness stuff first

quote:

Rabbit eaters, if they have no fat from another source—beaver, moose, fish—will develop diarrhea in about a week, with headache, lassitude and vague discomfort. If there are enough rabbits, the people eat till their stomachs are distended; but no matter how much they eat they feel unsatisfied.

drat lol

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
it's also called "mal de caribou" or bad of the caribou. hth

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

donkey salami posted:

This doesn't make sense. You thaw food before you can eat it.

Jesse Ventura
Jan 14, 2007

This drink is like somebody's memory of a grapefruit, and the memory is fading.
lot of smug softies in this thread who woulda known better

he did some very cool poo poo and died young and happy. like most people i am programmed to enjoy the bullshit creature comforts of modernity (posting this while making GBS threads into perfectly clean water btw) but he clearly was not, and i find that rather admirable

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
ah yes scribbling incoherently as you starve to death after declaring in the journal that your legs stopped working, I think we can all agree thats how we all want to go out.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Jesse Ventura posted:

he did some very cool poo poo and died young and happy. like most people i am programmed to enjoy the bullshit creature comforts of modernity (posting this while making GBS threads into perfectly clean water btw) but he clearly was not, and i find that rather admirable

yep we know better than to wander mapless into a frozen hellscape as evidenced by the fact we are still alive and he is not.

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
"i admire this idiot that refused to listen to the advice and help of others due to his sheer baseless arrogance."

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Secular Humanist posted:

moral of the story: nature doesnt care how much white guilt you have.

nature hates sjws, basically.

nature is part of the alt right.

Nature made female spiders and mantids devour their mates after copulation because all they're good for is sperm and nutrients to nourish her unborn young.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

You could probably kill a bear with that pen and then use it as a straw to drink bear blood. Very tactical.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

a new study bible! posted:

Yeah and isn't the reason that they were previously thought to be edible because they are only poison for some parts of the year, but at other times they are fine?

Part of the problem is that in a healthy person, the toxin doesn't have much effect. However if you've been living off of whatever small game and random flora you can scavenge for a few months, your body isn't going to be able to handle it too well. I think the prevailing theory is that a mixture of rabbit starvation, which is caused by getting your protein from extremely lean meat from small game, and the toxins from the seeds caused his paralysis and death.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
dumbass should have just ordered a pizza imo

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

yeah whenever i am lost i order a pizza and catch a ride back, the dominoes on main street is my equilibrium

us vs also us
Jul 8, 2007

Hello! I hope you are having a nice day!
I ship the into the wild guy and the grizzly man guy

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
you find all sorts of weird poo poo back in the bush when areas that used to be readily accessible get abandoned and overgrown. it really doesn't take long for nature to reclaim its territory especially up there

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

Pizza will give you the necessary fat and carbs to avoid rabbit starvation. Good tip.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
moose's tooth pizza is pretty bomb if you ever find yourself in anchortown

protip: they won't deliver to denali

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

Jesse Ventura posted:

He died starving, miserable, and terrified.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

spank my snatch posted:

He died starving, miserable, and terrified.

and it was very easily preventable with a little knowledge and the right gear

us vs also us
Jul 8, 2007

Hello! I hope you are having a nice day!
It's truly admirable how he went into the woods and died, we should all be so brave

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

rezatahs posted:

and it was very easily preventable with a little knowledge and the right gear

OR just being on the right side of the river. He could have been literally naked and stilll rescued if he wasn't on the wrong side of a river.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Society is stupid, man. Every person should live a solitary life in the woods, eating poisonous seeds until they are dead

• Locked thread