Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

He saw the bus and sat down. Waiting for the driver to show up and take him to a bus stop that had food.

I blame the bus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

Oscar Wild posted:

OR just being on the right side of the river. He could have been literally naked and stilll rescued if he wasn't on the wrong side of a river.

yeah exactly

fyi one of the most important things you can have when you're backcountry is a drat map and compass

apparently he died 5 miles from a ranger station? i mean come on bro just lol

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

spank my snatch posted:

He died starving, miserable, and terrified.

True, but he wasn't, like, concerned about material goods and society and stuff, man.

Jesse Ventura
Jan 14, 2007

This drink is like somebody's memory of a grapefruit, and the memory is fading.

us vs also us
Jul 8, 2007

Hello! I hope you are having a nice day!

looks good man!!

sketch_nimrod
Apr 1, 2010

VendaGoat posted:

Going from memory, so please excuse any errors.

That bus was left there because of miners using the stampede trail to get to and from the mine. Basically abandoned because, :lol:, get a wrecker through the Alaskan bush to recover it.

Dude went in in the dead of winter, hosed up a number of small things, started to run low on rice. Dysentery struck and he made one or two attempts to hike the 20 or so miles back to the closest town, just to find he was trapped by the spring thaw and the raging river that criss crosses the trail.

Goes back to camp and his body begins to deteriorate, despite eating tons of rabbits. Rabbit starvation was one of the things thought to have contributed to his demise, btw.

Finally, he becomes too weak, his food reserves run out, he dies of exposure and extreme malnutrition.

I think he was something like 83 pounds when they recovered his body.

i just checked page 69 of ittw, and this is all true

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Back panhandler.

Gonna be a real bummer when he loses his arm.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

VendaGoat posted:

Going from memory, so please excuse any errors.

That bus was left there because of miners using the stampede trail to get to and from the mine. Basically abandoned because, :lol:, get a wrecker through the Alaskan bush to recover it.

Dude went in in the dead of winter, hosed up a number of small things, started to run low on rice. Dysentery struck and he made one or two attempts to hike the 20 or so miles back to the closest town, just to find he was trapped by the spring thaw and the raging river that criss crosses the trail.

Goes back to camp and his body begins to deteriorate, despite eating tons of rabbits. Rabbit starvation was one of the things thought to have contributed to his demise, btw.

Finally, he becomes too weak, his food reserves run out, he dies of exposure and extreme malnutrition.

I think he was something like 83 pounds when they recovered his body.

Lol, I just remembered that this nimrod also go caught in a flash flood in the southwestern deserts. I think he's either weak against water, doesn't know how water works, or was just outside deficient.

Mother nature foreshadowed like a motherfucker to beware of water and weather events.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Jesse Ventura posted:

lot of smug softies in this thread who woulda known better

he did some very cool poo poo and died young and happy. like most people i am programmed to enjoy the bullshit creature comforts of modernity (posting this while making GBS threads into perfectly clean water btw) but he clearly was not, and i find that rather admirable

Modernity is not what programmed you to want warmth, high-calorie food, and companionship. That's human genetics. There is not a culture on earth that doesn't like comfort, food, and companionship

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Jesse Ventura posted:

he did some very cool poo poo and died young and happy. like most people i am programmed to enjoy the bullshit creature comforts of modernity (posting this while making GBS threads into perfectly clean water btw) but he clearly was not, and i find that rather admirable

"Programmed to enjoy" things like physical security and plentiful food, like all living organisms.

It's cool if you want to go off the grid, I guess. Just do your loving research first, and maybe dip your toes into the roughing it lifestyle, so you know what you're getting into. I know a chick whose husband wanted to take seven or eight months off to hike the Appalachian Trail, which is an admirable goal, but the idiot has never gone hiking for more than a few days at a time. Like, drat, dude, try spending a couple of weeks hiking before you quit your job and abandon your wife to gently caress around in the middle of nowhere. It's not like you have to go straight from your parents' house in the suburbs to a rotted-out bus in Alaska.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

rezatahs posted:

yeah exactly

fyi one of the most important things you can have when you're backcountry is a drat map and compass

apparently he died 5 miles from a ranger station? i mean come on bro just lol

I walked through Chiricahua National Monument, to the "Heart of the rocks", got a little turned around on my way out and I had a compass and a map to get my silly rear end back out. Of course I also had three days worth of food in my pack for a 1 day trip.

I highly recommend going there. Inspiration point is loving mind blowing.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Solice Kirsk posted:

True, but he wasn't, like, concerned about material goods

Such as: Food, Water.

naem
May 29, 2011

Rabbit brains are high in fat FYI and also probably contain myriad delicious parasites

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
why are rabbits not fat? i have a rabbit and shes fat as hell

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
now i have learned about rabbit starvation, good thing im vegutariam.

i would just die from starvation starvation. :cheeky:

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

The Walrus posted:

why are rabbits not fat? i have a rabbit and shes fat as hell

wild bunnies are super lean. like they have fat but in proportions that are just too low to be sustainable for subsistence.

dude should've packed in some muktuk with his rice

Aging Millenial
Nov 24, 2016

by zen death robot
what a fuckhead.

He lived in Northern Va. He could have just went to the wilderness of Pennsylvania or West Virginia instead of Alaska lmao

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

rezatahs posted:

wild bunnies are super lean. like they have fat but in proportions that are just too low to be sustainable for subsistence.

dude should've packed in some muktuk with his rice

but it's alaska, don't they need fat to live through the winter?

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
nah i think between their coat and high metabolism they just shrug that poo poo off but i'm no wildlife biologist

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

The Walrus posted:

but it's alaska, don't they need fat to live through the winter?

rabbits have fat. It's just not dietary sufficient for an organism 30 times their size.

e: also remember to eat bone marrow and eyeballs

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 29, 2017

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Aging Millenial posted:

what a fuckhead.

He lived in Northern Va. He could have just went to the wilderness of Pennsylvania or West Virginia instead of Alaska lmao

Even here in NoVA there are absolutely massive state parks he could get lost and starve to death 5 miles from an aid station in.

Aging Millenial
Nov 24, 2016

by zen death robot
He should have learned from history -- specifically, the baby boomers, many of whom had a phase just like him when they said they would throw off the shackles of society and live a free life but then after Vietnam they all found middle class jobs and became anti-pot

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
He should have watched the Pine Barrens episode of the Sopranos honestly

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

cool new Polack jokes posted:

He should have watched the Pine Barrens episode of the Sopranos honestly

He died in 1992.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

As a Canadian, lol at all these mainlanders that go into the Alaskan wilderness thinking it's like going to central park

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Who goes into the wilderness without a poo poo ton of peanuts ?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
R peanut butter I mean gently caress what an idiot

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Smash it Smash hit posted:

R peanut butter I mean gently caress what an idiot

I mean, this. One loving jar is like a month of food.

Now, what I wanted to say. Jesus, this thread really took a huge loving turn while I was making dinner. The gently caress, yo?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What a wuss.

There's also this guy who went 'gently caress society'

He made it 27 years but he was just stealing from cabins in the woods to get stuff, committing over 1000 break ins to get supplies before locals had enough and he got caught. vOv

quote:

Into the woods: how one man survived alone in the wilderness for 27 years
At the age of 20, Christopher Knight parked his car on a remote trail in Maine and walked away with only the most basic supplies. He had no plan. His chief motivation was to avoid contact with people. This is his story

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/mar/15/stranger-in-the-woods-christopher-knight-hermit-maine

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 30, 2017

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Any fool can break into a tiny flying insect home and raid their stockpiled food. That guy went after a different species and I gotta give him credit for it. You gently caress with a beehive, the worst that can happen is a bunch of bees sting the gently caress out of you. But you take a crowbar to somebody's hunting cabin ultimately you're gonna be facing helicopters, tracking dogs, infrared scopes, sniper rifles, all kinds of god drat things, things you can't beat just by putting on three sets of clothes and a basket over your head. Dude's run was longer than Steve Irwin's.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Terrific Accident posted:

Society is stupid, man. Every person should live a solitary life in the woods, eating poisonous seeds until they are dead

:agreed:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Handsome, Harvard-educated white man of means. That's a lot to put up with, I get it.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Handsome, Harvard-educated white man of means. That's a lot to put up with, I get it.

Trump 2017

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Synthbuttrange posted:

What a wuss.

There's also this guy who went 'gently caress society'

He made it 27 years but he was just stealing from cabins in the woods to get stuff, committing over 1000 break ins to get supplies before locals had enough and he got caught. vOv

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/mar/15/stranger-in-the-woods-christopher-knight-hermit-maine

after 27 years, he could have figured out how to fend for himself without stealing. this guy is a creepy weirdo that got a cheap thrill out of watching people and stealing their poo poo.

a shameful hermit! :colbert:

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
This all could have been avoid if McCandless just went to Burning Man.

Rutibex posted:

after 27 years, he could have figured out how to fend for himself without stealing. this guy is a creepy weirdo that got a cheap thrill out of watching people and stealing their poo poo.

a shameful hermit! :colbert:

If only he was conventionally attractive.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Dean of Swing posted:

This all could have been avoid if McCandless just went to Burning Man.

I mean really.

I just went through my hiking pack and replaced some poo poo. :fap:

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Vice has a good documentary about some dude and his wife who have lived in a cabin in the Alaskan wilderness for the past 30 years. It's especially memorable because the Vice dudes start out in their skinny jeans and perfectly manicured undercuts prepared to be all like "look at this weirdo lmao" but by the end are visibly moved by his perspective and reasons for living on his own.

I went and watched this and it was fantastic. It also really provides perspective on how out of his depth McCandles was--dude had no real chance to live out there, best he could hope for was an extended visit followed by a return to civilization...and if that's the case then just use the goddamn resources you were blessed with from birth and make a life out of being a yuppie dirtbag. Donate the rest of your inheritance/trust fund to charity if you want.

I get it., Just reading this thread is giving me the itch to load up my dogs and go backpacking where I don't have to see or hear another person for a week+

But part of the enjoyment is also coming back to civilization when it's over and eating a greasy loving cheeseburger, taking a hot shower, and sleeping in a goddamn bed until it's time to go out there again.

Makes you appreciate poo poo.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

wuffles posted:

I went and watched this and it was fantastic. It also really provides perspective on how out of his depth McCandles was--dude had no real chance to live out there, best he could hope for was an extended visit followed by a return to civilization...and if that's the case then just use the goddamn resources you were blessed with from birth and make a life out of being a yuppie dirtbag. Donate the rest of your inheritance/trust fund to charity if you want.

I get it., Just reading this thread is giving me the itch to load up my dogs and go backpacking where I don't have to see or hear another person for a week+

But part of the enjoyment is also coming back to civilization when it's over and eating a greasy loving cheeseburger, taking a hot shower, and sleeping in a goddamn bed until it's time to go out there again.

Makes you appreciate poo poo.

Frame this poo poo and put it on a wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jesse Ventura posted:

Jesse Ventura posted:

he did some very cool poo poo and died young and happy.

lmao

• Locked thread