Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
All the Alaskans who Krakauer talked too said the kid was a complete dumbass and he was all baffled and kinda indignant about it in the book, which was funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I really love Krakauer's writing but sometimes he has these weird moments where you can tell he wants something to mean something that it really, really doesn't mean.

Like Into the Wild really wants to make McCandless into someone meaningful despite all accounts indicating he was a dumb rebellious pseudo-intellectual rich kid who probably had an undiagnosed mental disorder and who died doing because of doing something profoundly, impulsively stupid in the woods.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 28, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm a loving sheltered upper middle class kid with several diagnosed mental disorders and if I did what McCandless did I'd hope my obituary called me a loving dumbass instead of making me out to be some tortured wanderer. No, I did something really, basically stupid and I died from it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

unpacked robinhood posted:

What happened to the bus after ?

still there IIRC and it will be until it rusts into little pieces

you'd need a Sikorsky Skycrane to get it out of there

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Oscar Wild posted:

Krakauer never said he was a tortured wanderer. Other retards hung that label on him. Krakauer wasn't buying the moody wanderer poo poo, which is why the book had that long aside about Krakauer nearly dying in a cave on Denali smoking Klondike Thunderfuck

It's been a long time since I read it and TBH I was thinking of one specific part where Krakauer gets a bit huffy that all the Alaskans just called the kid full stop stupid.

• Locked thread