Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ice Blue Mink posted:

What specifically should he have researched?

There was an aid station not five miles from McCandless' camp, if he had brought a map or knew his own orientation he could have trudged to it and likely saved his life.

Basically it's cool that he wanted to withdraw from his own sheltered upbringing and live a new life, but ironically his own sheltered upbringing blinded himself to the real actual challenges of living out in the wilderness and he paid the ultimate price for it. The end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Vice has a good documentary about some dude and his wife who have lived in a cabin in the Alaskan wilderness for the past 30 years. It's especially memorable because the Vice dudes start out in their skinny jeans and perfectly manicured undercuts prepared to be all like "look at this weirdo lmao" but by the end are visibly moved by his perspective and reasons for living on his own.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

a new study bible! posted:

Yeah and isn't the reason that they were previously thought to be edible because they are only poison for some parts of the year, but at other times they are fine?

If you're a healthy human being you're probably fine, but if your body is already compromised from malnourishment (as McCandless' almost certainly was) then they can be lethal.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Tumble posted:

Yea, and he was still just REALLY roughing it; he would have just been malnourished and weaker but very much alive if he hadn't eaten what nobody knew to be poison. Like, if he'd killed and properly preserved something along the of a deer he probably would have been able to get out of there.

I have sympathy for that. Dude was kind of dumb for going out there like that but it's not like he tried to climb Everest with that equipment. He was still on a trail mild enough to get a bus out there on.

He could have brought emergency rations and still starved to death if he'd been weak and eaten those seeds.

If there is a lesson to be learned here it is that for all our purported achievements we are still effortlessly owned before Mother Nature, for she herself will not be fooled.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I once did a 40-mile run on a trail that was marked only by little ribbons tied to trees. I almost missed one of the markers and if I kept going could have gotten for hours in freezing weather out in the middle of the woods in rural NY. That would have been scary as hell on its own, nobody knew where I was supposed to be and I could have gotten injured or worse. Basically the only reason why half of us don't die every other year is because our ancestors carved just enough out of old wood and primitive technology to keep themselves alive, and the second you abandon the comforts of civilization, you're minutes away from death at every turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

donkey salami posted:

I read the book. Main thing I remember is the guy just wouldn't listen to locals anywhere.

In Alaska, they told him he was coming at the wrong time of the year to do it.

Don't show up just as the thaw is happening.

The brutal irony of McCandless is that he thought by living as a vagabond he was rejecting a life of superficiality and privilege, when in fact it was his own privilege that blinded him to the very real dangers of roughing it in the Alaskan wilderness.

• Locked thread