Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I admire saying gently caress it and going out to live on your own but jesus gently caress christ do some research beforehand don't literally just have a rage fit and go into the woods knowing nothing with 0 preparation you maroon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ice Blue Mink posted:

What specifically should he have researched?

He should at least know the most common stuff that is FOR SURE safe to eat around the area because 1) he isn't the only person to ever go wilderness exploring where he was I'm sure and 2) ok people didn't realize those potato seeds or whatever were toxic but hey that's why you don't eat poo poo until you're 100% sure.

There's a reason all the mushroom gathering guides have "DO NOT THINK YOU CAN IDENTIFY WHAT IS SAFE TO EAT AND WHAT IS NOT JUST BASED ON THIS BOOK" in giant block letters at the beginning.

He should have hired a guide or something to at least get him oriented to what the flora and fauna in the area is.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah well you shouldn't eat raw food if you can at all help it that's definitely somewhere on the list of "poo poo you should know in the wilderness."

Even if those seeds weren't toxic that's a great way to pick up some strange and exciting disease.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Did he really go do it in winter ffs lol.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Oscar Wild posted:

Nature doesn't give a gently caress and needs to be respected. Humans have become so ensconced in easy comfort that we no longer fear or respect nature. It's why we get a couple of deaths every year from hikers on the Pacific Crest Trail. Even the pros can get their poo poo pushed in if they are arrogant, see the other Krakauer Into Thin Air.

Dude I get amazed at the amount of idiots that will go up to wild rear end animals like they are a pet doggie.

like holy poo poo I'm not some outdoors person at all but even I know not to go try and pet something that can kill me

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
dumbos in La Jolla complaining about the sea lions attacking them when they get close it's like yeah idiot they're wild animals lmao

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

what he did wasn't the smartest thing in the world, but i don't think he's immediately condemnable.

I don't think he's condemnable, I just think he did a really foolish thing and I pity his family (I'd say I pity him but he's dead) but I feel like it's natural to also find morbid humor in the situation.

It's like when someone hurts themselves and you laugh.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Adar posted:

the book was essentially made up on the spot because the crazy man's journal it's based on averaged three words per day of writing that was tainted by the onset of paranoid schizophrenia and/or eating fly agaric to get his buzz on

also the crazy man wanted to get from here

https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...!4d-149.7690582

to here

https://www.google.com/maps/place/U...!4d-160.7993317

without a detailed map or supplies

So that's Denali National Park?

In winter?

... I didn't read the book but uh did this dude have a death wish or what? 'Cuz there are easier ways to kill yourself.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

cool new Polack jokes posted:

I'm saying if you're privileged enough to be able bodied and able minded (you are not mentally disabled like some people, you are mentally ill like literally everybody else) then you should take this amazing piece of luck and loving run with it instead of imploding like someone who DOESN'T have built in support structures they've completely taken for granted or supportive people they've alienated themselves from by being a jagoff. You are wasted potential and nobody should feel sorry for your waste of a brain and body when there are millions of people who would trade places with you to be a brokebrained idiot in the richest land that has ever been known

gently caress you.

e: I'm "mentally ill" and I know this because I want to smash your loving face with a sledgehammer when I read your "I wonder if dental floss will support my body weight" type posts instead of just pitying you like a sucker would

this post makes you look really fuckin moronic in light of the one like 4-5 posts above yours that talks about how this dude and his sisters were hella abused as kids

good job gently caress nut hahahaha

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
lol if you can only define your existence in the context of other people

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Lol if you think you are self-sufficient

i'm not but I don't even know if you are all real why should I conform to your dumbo expectations

if you can't live in a cabin in the woods solo for a few months lol at you that's all I'm sayin

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
it's like those people who leap from one relationship to the next because they can't stand being alone with themselves

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tumble posted:

He was still on a trail mild enough to get a bus out there on.

Did the bus get there in the summer though? 'Cuz Alaska seasons change wildly.

idk if the locals tell him 'absolutely you should not do this' and he does it anyway like :shrug: the locals know better than you man

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

VendaGoat posted:

Rabbit starvation

See that's some poo poo I would not have known about and probably would have hosed up on if I didn't learn about wilderness stuff first

quote:

Rabbit eaters, if they have no fat from another source—beaver, moose, fish—will develop diarrhea in about a week, with headache, lassitude and vague discomfort. If there are enough rabbits, the people eat till their stomachs are distended; but no matter how much they eat they feel unsatisfied.

drat lol

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jesse Ventura posted:

lot of smug softies in this thread who woulda known better

Jesse Ventura posted:

he did some very cool poo poo and died young and happy.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

naem posted:

I would have skipped Alaska and just played WoW in that trailer park

• Locked thread