Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Fog Tripper posted:

Kid was a special snowflake that darwin took from us just in time.

Whereas this lady walked from NYC to Alaska in the 1920's, by herself, in order to get back to Russia. She might have even made it all the way to Siberia, although she probably died in/near the Bering Sea. But she was the opposite of McCandless, like she went to the NYC public library to chart her course, and didn't hike in the winter. This article tells her story much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Jesse Ventura posted:

lot of smug softies in this thread who woulda known better

he did some very cool poo poo and died young and happy. like most people i am programmed to enjoy the bullshit creature comforts of modernity (posting this while making GBS threads into perfectly clean water btw) but he clearly was not, and i find that rather admirable

"Programmed to enjoy" things like physical security and plentiful food, like all living organisms.

It's cool if you want to go off the grid, I guess. Just do your loving research first, and maybe dip your toes into the roughing it lifestyle, so you know what you're getting into. I know a chick whose husband wanted to take seven or eight months off to hike the Appalachian Trail, which is an admirable goal, but the idiot has never gone hiking for more than a few days at a time. Like, drat, dude, try spending a couple of weeks hiking before you quit your job and abandon your wife to gently caress around in the middle of nowhere. It's not like you have to go straight from your parents' house in the suburbs to a rotted-out bus in Alaska.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

cool new Polack jokes posted:

He should have watched the Pine Barrens episode of the Sopranos honestly

He died in 1992.

• Locked thread