Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
read the book. the guy seems a lot more complex than i suppose any 2 or 3 hour movie can show. and of course the movie will want to have a definite narrative a lot more than an extended piece of journalism, which is what the book tries to be.

what he did wasn't the smartest thing in the world, but i don't think he's immediately condemnable.

or, if you want a movie that genuinely complexifies a complex case of this kind, watch grizzly man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

people who have death wishes often are not direct about it.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

and yes, he probably had a death wish, which immediately makes this story more complex than "kid was dumb."

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

what if you went into the story thinking he got more or less exactly what he was hoping for?

is that a story worth mulling over?

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Adar posted:

the book was essentially made up on the spot because the crazy man's journal it's based on averaged three words per day of writing that was tainted by the onset of paranoid schizophrenia and/or eating fly agaric to get his buzz on

there is plenty about him before he reaches alaska, derived from people who met him and lived around him for months, which gives some idea of what he was up to. that's the bulk of the book, as i recall.

the wilderness stuff would have had to be made up.

we do get some idea of who this person might have been, which is what it's really about, not entirely about the facts but about the person living them. no we can't separate those facts from the person, but we are trying to see him amidst them.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

i think it's the same as we all have "huh so that's what life was"

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

so many people bamboozled exactly how this young person wanted them to be bamboozled, believing it's about the external wilderness, and not some terror and darkness in the soul of humankind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

protip: seek the gateway to your own heart.

• Locked thread