Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
Finally watched this (tried to) on Amazon video.

I got about halfway through it, god drat its boring.

For those who havent seen it or dont know the story its about this young man who decides he wants to renounce his material life and wander out into the cold-rear end woods to commit slow, agonizing suicide. (based on a true story)

Dont get me wrong, i'm all for people having self determination and making thier own path through life but the way this guy did it just annoyed the heck outta me. He was obviously from a nice family and had everything he needed growing up, the story starts with him graduating from Harvard and in a pivotal scene at the family celebration dinner at a really nice restaurant his parents piss him off by telling him that they want to buy him a new car as a graduation present (the bastards!). This seems to seal the deal on his plans to drop out of society. He burns all his forms of ID and cuts up his credit cards. He sends his life savings to Oxfam (okay fine, its a good charity at least), packs a backpack, jumps in his car and drives off to his new life as a homeless tramp so he can "find the truth about himself". gently caress his poor family, they never see his dumb rear end again as far as I could tell.

Above is the last known photo of a spoiled rich kid (the real one, not the movie one) before he died from eating poison berries.

Am I wrong? should I have more empathy for this guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

nigga crab pollock posted:

the poison berries he ate were actually seeds from the wild potato plant which up until like 3 years ago were considered edible but some biochemist guy read his journal and figured out that the seeds were actually highly toxic with an alkaloid that prevents your body from metabolizing other proteins if you don't cook them

:lol:

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Dean of Swing posted:

Your probs normal.

On a similar note, I feel no sympathy for that one guy who got stuck under a rock out in the wilderness since the number zero rule of wilderness is always telling somebody back in civilization where the hell you are going and when you will be back.

serious, gently caress james franco

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Hardawn posted:

Reese Witherspoon was really good tho

i dont think i made it that far i was too aggrivated

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

kierrie posted:

You're kinda wrong, he didn't want to die, he hosed up a few times and that led to his death. He is certainly not the stupidest person to ever die in the woods alone, read the book I recommend it.

For some people just being comfortable in life is not enough, but the vast majority of suburbanites will never understand this, all they want is to sit in front of the television and work a boring job their whole life and know where their next meal is coming from.

The movie is pretty good imo, sean penn did a good job.

yeah but it seemed like he had planned for a while to go off the grid, he couldve saved his parents Harvard tuition since he clearly didnt intend to do jack poo poo with his ivy league loving degree.

i want to punch his dead face

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Putty posted:

everyone should watch the werner herzog documentary about the Grizzly Man who was an idiot who got eaten by grizzly bears on purpose

The fact that he got eaten by a bear wasnt as shocking as finding out he had a girlfriend :stare:

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Secular Humanist posted:

5 year plan: become a died-rear end person in a bus to prove nothing about anything to anybody

he died doing what he loved

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
now i have learned about rabbit starvation, good thing im vegutariam.

i would just die from starvation starvation. :cheeky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
McCandless was born rich but inside her always identified as dumpster diver. Im glad he got to explore his otherness before the poison berries got him.

• Locked thread