Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adar
Jul 27, 2001

kierrie posted:

You're kinda wrong, he didn't want to die, he hosed up a few times and that led to his death. He is certainly not the stupidest person to ever die in the woods alone, read the book I recommend it.

For some people just being comfortable in life is not enough, but the vast majority of suburbanites will never understand this, all they want is to sit in front of the television and work a boring job their whole life and know where their next meal is coming from.

The movie is pretty good imo, sean penn did a good job.

Our ancestors literally spent thousands of years praying to a succession of uncaring, indifferent deities to somehow become 3% closer to having food security instead of dying from a variety of easily preventable causes, all of which can still happen the minute the ~~~adventurer~~~ does something so stupid that modern technology cannot compensate for it. Those rare individuals who really aren't comfortable living middle class lifestyles can always choose social work or, for the moderately psychopathic, grifting their way up Madoff style. The reason most of us can't understand people like this guy is because we aren't terminally dumb and/or don't have undiagnosed mental conditions.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'm a loving sheltered upper middle class kid with several diagnosed mental disorders and if I did what McCandless did I'd hope my obituary called me a loving dumbass instead of making me out to be some tortured wanderer. No, I did something really, basically stupid and I died from it.

basically this

Dean of Swing posted:

Winter.

The importance of maps.

Not shrugging off a man who wants to buy you survival gear.

and this

Moridin920 posted:

He should at least know the most common stuff that is FOR SURE safe to eat around the area because 1) he isn't the only person to ever go wilderness exploring where he was I'm sure and 2) ok people didn't realize those potato seeds or whatever were toxic but hey that's why you don't eat poo poo until you're 100% sure.

There's a reason all the mushroom gathering guides have "DO NOT THINK YOU CAN IDENTIFY WHAT IS SAFE TO EAT AND WHAT IS NOT JUST BASED ON THIS BOOK" in giant block letters at the beginning.

He should have hired a guide or something to at least get him oriented to what the flora and fauna in the area is.

his epic quest specifically included eating toadstools to get high*

*either that or he didn't know a red mushroom with white spots on the cap is a toadstool in which case, good luck with the whole trying to live thing wilderness friend

Adar fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

nomadologique posted:

read the book. the guy seems a lot more complex than i suppose any 2 or 3 hour movie can show. and of course the movie will want to have a definite narrative a lot more than an extended piece of journalism, which is what the book tries to be.

what he did wasn't the smartest thing in the world, but i don't think he's immediately condemnable.

or, if you want a movie that genuinely complexifies a complex case of this kind, watch grizzly man.

the book was essentially made up on the spot because the crazy man's journal it's based on averaged three words per day of writing that was tainted by the onset of paranoid schizophrenia and/or eating fly agaric to get his buzz on

also the crazy man wanted to get from here

https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...!4d-149.7690582

to here

https://www.google.com/maps/place/U...!4d-160.7993317

without a detailed map or supplies

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

cool new Polack jokes posted:

I saw your E/N thread and out of respect for the people with very real problems I haven't posted there but YOU SIR ARE AN IDIOT

:same:

• Locked thread