Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

I read the book and what I remember was he had a good enough family but was a huge prick and constantly distanced himself from people and then went out to Alaska and died of hubris/unnaturally heavy rainfall (or snowmelt?). Is that about the gist of it, climate change killed him because he was such an rear end in a top hat

slicing up eyeballs fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

Oscar Wild posted:

It's really not about him. It could be anybody is the point. He is just an example of one type of hubris against nature, if that makes sense. It's the type of hubris that Krakauer was interested in with this book.

I must have forgotten that part of the book but to be fair I read it like a decade ago and have a very stupid brain, so I'm glad I got the narrative right at least.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

Toadvine posted:

Nah you're thinking of grizzly man by Werner Herzog which is a much more humanizing perspective on a similarly dumb person with an easily avoidable death

I get even angrier at the grizzly man guy, just because he apparently would bring his gf out to risk death by bear. He didn't deserve the extremely slow death he got though, sad poo poo

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

All the Alaskans who Krakauer talked too said the kid was a complete dumbass and he was all baffled and kinda indignant about it in the book, which was funny.

Lmao, I forgot about this.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

Adar posted:

his epic quest specifically included eating toadstools to get high*

*either that or he didn't know a red mushroom with white spots on the cap is a toadstool in which case, good luck with the whole trying to live thing wilderness friend

Lol again at mccandless but this article is pretty damning against Krakauer, I didn't realize he'd made up so much poo poo in the book.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

unpacked robinhood posted:

Funny: the blonde kid who gets owned in The Beach (2000)

This is twice you've mentioned it post a clip share the wealth

• Locked thread