Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Hardawn posted:

When to pull out, when to fold em and come back. " poo poo my supplies are low maybe I should hike out."

He tried. When the spring thaw came the frozen river he crossed coming in was an uncrossable raging rapid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Since we are expressing opinions on McCandless I can sympathize with the need/want to go on an adventure and have a quest of self discovery. I can also feel that wandering into one of the harshest loving environments in the northern hemisphere, without doing your due diligence is loving colossal hubris. A .22 rifle, a few pounds of rice, a guidebook and some basic camping gear in Alaska. That's just loving stupid.

I enjoyed the portion of his journey when he was just wandering around the country, bumming through the wilderness. That was an interesting portion. Even when he abandoned his car in the desert and hoofed it out, I thought it was just a minor bump in the road of a young man finding out who he is.

Pride killed him, it wasn't the wilderness. Stupid, bull headed, pride.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

Dude I get amazed at the amount of idiots that will go up to wild rear end animals like they are a pet doggie.

like holy poo poo I'm not some outdoors person at all but even I know not to go try and pet something that can kill me

Yellowstone buffalo. It's astounding what people will do to a half of ton of animal.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Freezing to death is one of the least painful ways to die I've heard, but I dunno how they know for certain. You just kinda go to sleep before your body actually shuts down its other processes, so technically you don't feel anything after you've already reached that point (but that is surely to be painful to get there)

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Going from memory, so please excuse any errors.

That bus was left there because of miners using the stampede trail to get to and from the mine. Basically abandoned because, :lol:, get a wrecker through the Alaskan bush to recover it.

Dude went in in the dead of winter, hosed up a number of small things, started to run low on rice. Dysentery struck and he made one or two attempts to hike the 20 or so miles back to the closest town, just to find he was trapped by the spring thaw and the raging river that criss crosses the trail.

Goes back to camp and his body begins to deteriorate, despite eating tons of rabbits. Rabbit starvation was one of the things thought to have contributed to his demise, btw.

Finally, he becomes too weak, his food reserves run out, he dies of exposure and extreme malnutrition.

I think he was something like 83 pounds when they recovered his body.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

rezatahs posted:

yeah exactly

fyi one of the most important things you can have when you're backcountry is a drat map and compass

apparently he died 5 miles from a ranger station? i mean come on bro just lol

I walked through Chiricahua National Monument, to the "Heart of the rocks", got a little turned around on my way out and I had a compass and a map to get my silly rear end back out. Of course I also had three days worth of food in my pack for a 1 day trip.

I highly recommend going there. Inspiration point is loving mind blowing.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Smash it Smash hit posted:

R peanut butter I mean gently caress what an idiot

I mean, this. One loving jar is like a month of food.

Now, what I wanted to say. Jesus, this thread really took a huge loving turn while I was making dinner. The gently caress, yo?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Handsome, Harvard-educated white man of means. That's a lot to put up with, I get it.

Trump 2017

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Dean of Swing posted:

This all could have been avoid if McCandless just went to Burning Man.

I mean really.

I just went through my hiking pack and replaced some poo poo. :fap:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

wuffles posted:

I went and watched this and it was fantastic. It also really provides perspective on how out of his depth McCandles was--dude had no real chance to live out there, best he could hope for was an extended visit followed by a return to civilization...and if that's the case then just use the goddamn resources you were blessed with from birth and make a life out of being a yuppie dirtbag. Donate the rest of your inheritance/trust fund to charity if you want.

I get it., Just reading this thread is giving me the itch to load up my dogs and go backpacking where I don't have to see or hear another person for a week+

But part of the enjoyment is also coming back to civilization when it's over and eating a greasy loving cheeseburger, taking a hot shower, and sleeping in a goddamn bed until it's time to go out there again.

Makes you appreciate poo poo.

Frame this poo poo and put it on a wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
You can't appreciate the sunny warm days, without the cloudy gray days.

• Locked thread