Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
No,you shouldn't feel sympathy for him. He was young and dumb, and felt invincible. The book makes this very clear. The point is that as humans we live thinking we're the loving center of the universe, the protagonist in our own story, except nature is cruel and heartless.

The movie is a turgid affair, and I'd rather starve to death in a bus in Alaska next to a rotting moose than watch it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

The Cubelodyte posted:

Already read the book, didn't need to waste money watching the movie.

This will lead to a long fulfilling life, though you will probably miss some reeses pieces.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

slicing up eyeballs posted:

I read the book and what I remember was he had a good enough family but was a huge prick and constantly distanced himself from people and then went out to Alaska and died of hubris/unnaturally heavy rainfall (or snowmelt?). Is that about the gist of it, climate change killed him because he was such an rear end in a top hat

It's really not about him. It could be anybody is the point. He is just an example of one type of hubris against nature, if that makes sense. It's the type of hubris that Krakauer was interested in with this book.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

slicing up eyeballs posted:

I must have forgotten that part of the book but to be fair I read it like a decade ago and have a very stupid brain, so I'm glad I got the narrative right at least.

You have the literal story right,and those details are important. Krakauer wrote the story as a sort of there but for the grace of God go I.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

VendaGoat posted:

He tried. When the spring thaw came the frozen river he crossed coming in was an uncrossable raging rapid.

Yeah, so something simple like food poisoning or eating bad berries, became deadly rather than a small problem. Even if he had told people where he was staying he might have died because he was so isolated. For lack of a nail a horse was lost, etc.

Nature doesn't give a gently caress and needs to be respected. Humans have become so ensconced in easy comfort that we no longer fear or respect nature. It's why we get a couple of deaths every year from hikers on the Pacific Crest Trail. Even the pros can get their poo poo pushed in if they are arrogant, see the other Krakauer Into Thin Air.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'm a loving sheltered upper middle class kid with several diagnosed mental disorders and if I did what McCandless did I'd hope my obituary called me a loving dumbass instead of making me out to be some tortured wanderer. No, I did something really, basically stupid and I died from it.

Krakauer never said he was a tortured wanderer. Other retards hung that label on him. Krakauer wasn't buying the moody wanderer poo poo, which is why the book had that long aside about Krakauer nearly dying in a cave on Denali smoking Klondike Thunderfuck

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
If he would have gone gay for bears he would have been able to last the winter next to a warm fuzzy tummy.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Rutibex posted:

hermit protip: develop multiple personalities

Better protip: develop immunities from multiple types of natural toxins and learn how to butcher and preserve meat.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

exquisite tea posted:

If there is a lesson to be learned here it is that for all our purported achievements we are still effortlessly owned before Mother Nature, for she herself will not be fooled.

McCandless tries to be the ultimate pickup (bus) artist by negging Mother Nature, ends up alone anyway. The fate of all PUAs

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

rezatahs posted:

and it was very easily preventable with a little knowledge and the right gear

OR just being on the right side of the river. He could have been literally naked and stilll rescued if he wasn't on the wrong side of a river.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Back panhandler.

Gonna be a real bummer when he loses his arm.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

VendaGoat posted:

Going from memory, so please excuse any errors.

That bus was left there because of miners using the stampede trail to get to and from the mine. Basically abandoned because, :lol:, get a wrecker through the Alaskan bush to recover it.

Dude went in in the dead of winter, hosed up a number of small things, started to run low on rice. Dysentery struck and he made one or two attempts to hike the 20 or so miles back to the closest town, just to find he was trapped by the spring thaw and the raging river that criss crosses the trail.

Goes back to camp and his body begins to deteriorate, despite eating tons of rabbits. Rabbit starvation was one of the things thought to have contributed to his demise, btw.

Finally, he becomes too weak, his food reserves run out, he dies of exposure and extreme malnutrition.

I think he was something like 83 pounds when they recovered his body.

Lol, I just remembered that this nimrod also go caught in a flash flood in the southwestern deserts. I think he's either weak against water, doesn't know how water works, or was just outside deficient.

Mother nature foreshadowed like a motherfucker to beware of water and weather events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

VendaGoat posted:

You can't appreciate the sunny warm days, without the cloudy gray days.

This is tattooed about 3 inches above the belt line on the back of some poor college coed.

• Locked thread