Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

SSNeoman posted:

I will give the game credit for doing this obligatory intro sequence in an interesting way. We already got some intrigue with Yayoi.

True, they do at least try to avoid the obvious cliches. I really think that better pacing, editing, and some confidence in their players could have alleviated a lot of the problems in these early sections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Hey, wait....

If the devs for this are down the toilet, that could mean that the license for this is up for grabs. Maybe someone (A dedicated fan, an experience VN writer, or even an anime company) could take it and improve it?

What are Worms (from the post-Shinen breakdown screen)? There's EXP, is there a leveling system in the game?

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

Junpei posted:

What are Worms (from the post-Shinen breakdown screen)? There's EXP, is there a leveling system in the game?

Worms are low level residual shinen. basically traces of strong emotion. Yes there's EXP and leveling up, but for the life of me I can't figure out what it actually changes. scratch power I guess? Honestly its pretty automatic.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
It's mostly not noticable but it does things like increase your time limits during Scans and make it (ever-so-slightly) easier to track and eliminate worms

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

Update 4: The cast continues growing

Hey guys! Time to delve into the deep and colorful character pool Kilaware has provided for our viewing pleasure.

Rui is dragging us around during lunch, but since the order doesn't really matter outside of allowing for a quick extra cutscene, I'll go ahead and railroad us for a bit before I ask your guys' input later.

That said, let's stick around the classroom for a sec before we explore the other campus buildings.

He wakes up, realizes the voice he heard was Rui's, and goes back to sleep.

You done hosed up now, buddy.

All of a sudden, she runs to his desk and starts to tickle him.

???: GAH! What the?! Hey, Hey! Cut it out!

*Loud Thud*

After finally waking him, Rui sticks her tongue out and moves away.

: Gotcha! Rise and shine, Akirrrra~

I knew a girl who acted just like that in my highschool, complete with the random public tickling events. She was... Eccentric.

: *laughs* I thought I'd introduce you to Saijo!

: Huh? I already know him! Aoi introduced him in class earlier. Remember?

: Of course, I just thought I'd introduce him properly.

"You haven't looked deeply into his searchlight eyes yet!"

: You're so shy you forced me to introduce him like this! But it's not like you make many new friends. Whatever, Hurry up and introduce yourself.

: Ugh. I get no respect I tell ya.

Rodney Dangerfield, everybody!

: My... Hobby? Talent? Is Bushido. I'm not into studying and my friends are kinda lame.

Points for blunt honesty, I guess?

: He's always been aloof, but he's painfully honest. He's a bit crude and crass, but he's really a good guy.

: Am I going nuts, or did you just compliment me?

: Don't freak out, it's just a compliment. Let's all have lunch sometime!

: Ok. Nice to meet you, Saijo.

Seems like a nice kid. Where to next?

Someone's cheerful in the nurse's office, let's go say hi.

In the Nurse's Office, Honoka Hino was taking care of one of the students.

Ah, so the medical professional at the school is having a private discussion with a student. We should do the discreet and proper thing, and eavesdrop conspicuously before raiding their minds for any personal tidbits. It's the Atsuki way.

: ...yeah, I guess. You could say that.

I choose to believe this kid is straight Eeyore monotone. Nearly every scentence he says has long pauses in them, and it makes sense if he's drawling at a resigned pace.

: Aoi & I will be making food to sell this year. I'll have you work hard!

: Haha... food? I don't know about that...

: What, you got a problem?

"Punk?" :colbert:

: ...not really. Well... no.

: ... I see. Understood. Ok, I'll be going now...

As he passes by, Takuya Inoue glances at Atsuki, but walks away with a blank expression on his face.

Don't mind us! Just looming :)

: The student who needs me the least! Why're you here?

: You're mean, Ms. Hino!

"How dare you call me healthy and well adjusted?!"

: Even I have 1 or 2 things troubling me, you know. Trouble with classes, worries about the future.

: I AM worried, you know.

: You should come to talk to me more often. Hey, young man! Rui Yamase is such a good girl, you know~! Dilligent, smart, hard working and REALLY cute!

Well, the harem is rather small at this point, and I can definitely add her to the list...

: Well? If you're gonna get married, this is it, huh?

: Wh-wha...what...?

Whoa, hey now, I penciled her in but that's moving a bit too quickly, madam! What would Ms. Blushy say?! <:mad:>

: Ahaha, look at you, getting so embarrassed!

: Wha- whatever!

: Saijo the transfer, right? Aoi told me about you.

:wink:

: Come see me if you have any troubles or pains, ok? I'm usually in here.

This, ladies and gents, is our introduction to another function within the game, where collecting 'e-cards' of characters will allow them to text you from time to time. It's a one way street, though, you can't contact them.

Anyway, time to rejoin a flustered Rui and head to the teacher's office.

Someone's kinda stressed apparently, Let's see.

: MR. TAKANO!!!

I find it a bit odd all the kids call their teachers by their first name, yet to eachother they use their proper titles even in private. That aside, Blushy's pissed.

Strange devices & books are spilling over onto her desk from the next desk over. They have appeared to have fallen over while AOI was eating lunch. All kinds of things cover her lunch box.

: Ah, wh- wh- what do I do...

A chubby teacher fumbles around as Aoi shakes with anger.

"Powers of the dark devine, give me guidance!"

: Buy me a new lunch!

: O- O- Ok, right way!

Takano remembers something as he passes Atsuki.

:Ah! You're... We met last night, right?!

And here is the first in-depth look at how we as players can manipulate the emotional state of other victims characters in the game.
Based on your type of response (You don't actually say anything, the only thing that matters is the emotion you exude while doing so), one of the character's emotions will change positively or negatively along their respective scales.
Although early on it looks mostly aesthetic, it becomes an important part of keeping people safe and sane. As you have already seen, for the purposes of this LP I will write out the emotional consequence of any choices we make that effects another character.
This will consist of an indication of the positive or negative change as well as an approximate emotional state based on Plutchik's wheel which we discussed after update 2, in order to keep things a little more clear. You know, since the developers thought that this vital mechanic was the one thing in the game they should keep vague and hidden from the player.

Without further ado, let's not be assholes to the poor dude, he's flustered already.

*Happy Response.* *JOY UP! Pensive-> Serene*

: Hehehe, well I'm happy to see you, too. I was hoping to talk to you again.

: What a surprise! So you're a student here, huh?

: Hm? What what now? Hm? I've never seen you here before...

Takano reminds me of Dory from Finding Nemo, in that he will remember all sorts of esoteric things,yet forget what you say within a minute's span of conversation, then spend multiple lines asking what you said/had meant.

: What are you doing, Mr. Takano?!

It was the voice of Aoi, angry about Takano's stuff ruining her lunch.

Thanks kilaware, I'm glad I don't have to even attempt to read inferences, since you will explicitly tell me a second after in your omniscient narration.

: If you don't hurry I won't have any time to eat!

: Ah, OK! Be right back!

Takano jumps up and runs past Atsuki, out into the hallway.

Poor guy, let's go after him.

Hmmm, now he's wandering in the quad... Wasn't he getting Lunch? Also this happens to be the first missable scene in the game, only playing if you visited the teacher's room with at least one more place available prior to lunch ending. If you do it last, lunch ends immediately.

: Ah, Saijo! Eh? It is Saijo, right?

Again, it's been maybe five minutes. Those Dark masters he's serving aren't doing his memory any favors...

: That was so embarrassing just now. I Usually make Aoi angry at least a day.

: My research materials get in the way, but... I just get good ideas out of the blue sometimes. I need my materials close or it's inconvenient. So what was it again?

Let's through the guy a bone.

You wanted to talk to me? *JOY UP! Pensive-> Serene*

: Ah, that's right! I haven't told you about my theories yet, have I? Yesterday you saw living proof of my theories.

Well, we saw you lugging around a $50,000 hunk of vaguely glowing machinery that gave no reaction when you said it would while you babbled on about "spiritual energies :tinfoil: ", but sure, man, we saw proof.

Takano soon remembers what he was actually doing.

: Ah........ Ah! Oh no!! Oh my God!! Oh Saijo!

"?! Mr. Takano? What's wrong, should we get help? Or-"

: I gotta deliver lunch!!

Truly the appropriate reaction to being late for lunch.

: Sorry, we'll finish later! See you again!

Wow, Blushy has that man :whip: .

Ah well, one last place to visit

: This is the cafe room. Pretty cool, huh? Usually everyone gathers here to talk, but...

Rui looks around & sees Ryo Unami reading quietly in the back.

: Ah, there he is! Hey, Ryo Unami! *Adopting a cringe-worthily bad gruff sherriff like affectation* Woncha' come on over here fer a secon'?

Uhhh... ok.

Ryo Unami smiles as he closes the book he was reading. He stands up and as he starts to say something he laughs and shakes his head.
He seems very calm, but Atsuki can tell he has a brighter side to him.

The character descriptions in this game were stolen from the bargain bin of fanfiction.net, I swear.

: Who're you supposed to be with that weird voice?

: You know the restaurant next to my office building? It's Mr. Tamotsu, from there.

So she works in an office building? That's a pretty mature job for a teenager, good for her.

: Who is that? I don't know him. Mika thought it was hilarious; does everyone know?

: Ah, I see, sorry... You weren't there when we went that time...

: But my name is RYO Unami. We're in the same class. I run a bookstore in Area7 called Tohodo.

So he runs a successful buisness/store? Busy guy, no wonder he cut class.

: No comics or magazines, but we have alot of rare books. Come on by sometime if you're interested.

: If Ryo gets ahold of you, it's Ancient Rome this, and Middle Age architecture that, nothing but history.

: He'll talk about all kinds of weird stuff.

: Ahaha, you make too much of it. I only do that if they're knowledgeable.

: You don't just talk to anyone at length. Come to think of it you never talk to Mika or me about difficult things.

Need some ice for that burn?

: Oops, did I just step on a landmine? Alright I'll be going now.

*Ryo leaves the cafe*

: Wait... What? Aaah!, Unami!!!

Rui tries to follow after Ryo, but it appears as though he has already gone.

Showing the new kid around, acting tomboyish and thratening to kick the poo poo out of your friend? Chie! Did you do something new with your hair? :v:

: I'll kick him so fast he won't even see it!

*Immediate transition into hallway? Sure.*

: OH MY GOSH OH MY GOSH, ARE YOU TWO GOING OUT??!!

She sounds so angry... "Don't fight over me baby~"

: Huh? What the...?!

: Don't play dumb! I have evidence!

Well, seeing as how I just met the two of you an hour ago, I doubt that.

*Loud thud, Mika and screen shake violently*

: Ouch! Rui, I can't believe you just hit me!

: Oh, shut up!! Don't just make stuff up because there's no news.

: Sorry, I was just messing around. But I do have a pretty good scoop.

Nancy Drew 2.0, checking in for duty.

: Yeah? What is it?

: Actually...

Mika moves close to RUI and whispers in her ear.

*A moment passes as Atsuki watches blankly*

:... so that's it.

: No way... really? If it all goes well that could be a huge scoop!

: Yeah! Do your best Mika!

: On tonight's Seagull News, one of my stories is on! OK, Byebye!

: You're not gonna cut class again, are you?!

: It's ok for today!

*Mika runs off*

: It's just a local station, but she works for Seagull. Her dream: a Pulitzer. She can get one, too.

Wait a second, Store Owner, Cubicle Dweller, Government Agent, Reporter...Does every kid in this version of Japan hold a successful mid-career 9-5 job along with school? Because I'm feeling inadequate right now.

: OK, let's move on!

Mika Nozaki's Shinen hangs in the air.

Hang on, instead of asking what was up, I'm gonna scour the spirit realm for whatever she just said. Y'know, 'cause reasons.

Yesterday Incident

Hmmm, interesting, it seems like what happened last night might be on the evening news. I'll show you how to watch the news later, but note that rumor travels fast in Kisaragi.

: So, what do you think?

Well it's staff is interesting so far, I'll give it that.

I Like it *AFFECTION UP! Hesitant -> Confident*

: See? I really like this school, too! When I fist saw it I was like, "What is this? It seems like knights and witches go here". People in town even call it 'The Tower'.

: I like to think of it as a cool, classy grandpa.

Not only her words but also her Shinen show she has a strong love for the school.

*School bell rings*

: Eh?! Breaks over already?!

: I gotta get some bread, at least! You should eat too, ok? See you later.

You know, we were just at a cafe...

And apparently she's a fortune teller? Thanks game, because that wasn't even hinted at in the dialogue. Oh Kilaware, you card~

*Rui Leaves*

Rui's residual Shinen lingers.

I Like School

Aww, that was actually pretty sweet and sad.

So we have alot of places we can go to next. There's no time limit, but I'll leave it up to you guys whichever order you'd like to see the events.

So let me know:

A: PC Room- Takuya (Anger 4 Enraged)
B: Classroom- Akira (Hatred 1 Hesitant)
C: Teacher's room- Aoi (Anger 1 Annoyed)
D: Cafe- Ryo (Joy 2 Happy)
E: Quad (Neutral)
F: Nurse's Office- Honoka (Sorrow 1 Pensive)

I'll close viewer input in 24 hours. Thanks guys!

sandnavyguy fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Apr 12, 2017

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Rui is a great character, she might be my favorite in the game.

It's okay if the game doesn't front-load all the info. It has pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeentyyyyyyyyyyyyy of time to do so :suicide:

Anyway let's see what Takuya's angry about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Ignore everybody and go to the quad.

• Locked thread