Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
For me

this loving heart that replenishes your health and does so more the faster you run through it, dont know if it was in any other mario game so i already am lying from the thread title but it always felt odd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
gently caress OFF

us vs also us
Jul 8, 2007

Hello! I hope you are having a nice day!
op with mario you could have just said "health"

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
Health was also oxygen, so you could heal by just diving in a pool for one second

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Meaningful relationships in my life

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
way to add to the topic by posting examples you faggots

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

for star trek:

manual steering column
borg queen (although seen in voyager) that poo poo doesn't make sense
old warp drive scale
holocommunicators
ambo jitsu
any of the engineers of the ent-D before geordie took over
computer, create sentience
worf dating troi
data's emotion chip (although seen in generations)
referring to Voyager as 'the voyager'
the voyager
ferengi laser whips
cardassian head brace things

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
i dont get anything you posted but thank you for being sincere (hopefully)

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.
Beefy crunch burrito

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
Paulie the robot from Rocky 3

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Jestery posted:

That's 4 you utter philistine. :shepface:

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Jestery posted:

quote:

The story behind the robot’s involvement is even stranger. Designed, controlled and voiced by Robert Doornick, the founder of US company International Robotics, the robot has had a more successful acting career than many of his fellow cast-members. Known as Sico, it is the first non-human member of America’s Screen Actors Guild.

The robot has guest-starred in Days of Our Lives, entertained Ronald Reagan at a White House dinner, toured with James Brown, and shared an intimate moment with Carly Simon in the music video for her song, My New Boyfriend: Sico presents the singer with a bouquet of flowers, before carrying her away in its arms. Today, fans can buy their own, fully-functioning Sico online for around £240,000 (not including postage and packaging).

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The pirate ship and sailing in the Caribbean in Assassin's Creed: The Pirate One was a lot more entertaining than riding a horse in between three towns.

Actually it was so drat fun it's the only reason I played any assassin's creed game because the setting felt like an island hopping pirate vacation.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Nonviolent J posted:

i dont get anything you posted but thank you for being sincere (hopefully)

yeah in nemesis, which is the worst star trek movie, riker is like, computer, activate the manual steering column and this stupid logitech joystick rises out of a hutch. this doesn't happen on star trek again

the borg queen was this character they created for first contact which doesn't make any sense, the borg are supposed to be like perfect single-brained communist guys and then you have this bitch struttin around showing off her tits who is somehow the boss of a people whose point is they are their own boss, because they wanted sex appeal, it was terrrrible but i guess they brought her back in voyager despite the fact they killed her sooooooooo

back in the original series with kirk the warp scale was different so like, they went to warp 22 and poo poo when in the new scale warp 10 is infinitely fast, the asymptote of the warp curve if that makes sense

in ds9 for one episode everyone gets a holocommunicator on their bridges. it takes up like a whole stations worth of real estate on there and has a stupid glowing floor ring that lights up so when you chat they look like they're in the same room as you. it was real bad

ambo jitsu is this borderline racist, massively stupid martial art that riker and his dad do. you fight with giant cotton buds, blind. for some reason it never makes a comeback

in original series there used to be a bunch of different dudes, like a new one each episode, in charge of engineering, and no-one really had much of a part at all. shimoda was the best one because he got drunk but they were all very temporary

geordie gets the computer to create a sentient hologram based off of moriaty from sherlock holmes because of a bet. it doesn't go well

for like one episode the klingon worf was dating councillor troi. it wasn't a good fit, esp because she was riker's ex, but also because worf is kind of a fuckman

data gets an emotion chip from his dad that would help him feel emotions. he decides he's not ready to feel emotions, because that would completely destroy the point of his character, which is pinocchio

in like the first episode of voyager, tom says, "it's the Voyager!" which sounds totally wrong despite the fact that "the Enterprise" is totally fine

in that same first episode voyager gets lost in the delta quadrant so in the point of the show's continuity they never really see it again, it takes some weird time travel poo poo that was terrible to bring them home, and the whole show has just awful writing so its more like wishful thinking

when the ferengi were introduced in tng they were kind of lovely rat people that danced around like some stupid school play and had whips that they whipped at people to laser them rather than a gun. it was all really stupid and while the whips don't really show themselves again they wouldn't become unstupid until ds9

cardassian soldiers used to have weird head gear when they were first introduced. they were very terrible and unnecessary, they have a lot of poo poo going on already to make em look alien

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
I thought all the holo people were more or less sentient. Probably the ship, too.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

lol but seriously I posted:

I thought all the holo people were more or less sentient. Probably the ship, too.

sentience is definitely a sliding scale

the alarming thing is the computer simply created an entity capable of destroying the ship and never justified itself beyond, well, that's sort of what you asked

it was like, well, he's alive now so that's a thing. guess we have to be more careful of what we order from the replicator or we might just make a real people we are morally required to continue the subjective existence of instead of tea earl grey hot

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Why is "The Voyager" wrong or weird or whatever?

"The [Shipname]!" is pretty much how you say "Hey check it out, its that specific ship".

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
the cardassians wearing football helmets everywhere makes sense actually, since cardassians are retarded and would otherwise bash their brains out on door frames or from falling over

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

TurboDrizzle posted:

Why is "The Voyager" wrong or weird or whatever?

"The [Shipname]!" is pretty much how you say "Hey check it out, its that specific ship".

I think it's partly because they usually don't use the article and partly because it sounds like it could be a person's title or nickname or something. you could imagine a character in a sci-fi show being called "the voyager"

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
THe mcdonald's pizza

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The monkey on FRIENDS. It came back for a few episodes but drat what a bad idea.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Zorodius posted:

Health was also oxygen, so you could heal by just diving in a pool for one second

for me it always made sense. Mario lives in a pretty safe universe when you think about it; his worst enemy is Bowser and you can mess him up just by swinging him around by his tail. The fire Bowser breathes is just a couple of milder flames that dance around so he's not exactly a Game of Thrones level dragon, he's more on the level of a dinosaur Muppet.

It makes sense that going for a refreshing swim would get Mario back to normal and ready to go hop around some some more. Heck, I bet even the standing water pools don't have any harmful bacteria in them, Mario's probably guzzling that stuff down like it came from a Voss bottle.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Nonviolent J posted:

gently caress OFF

I agree. While Violent J and Shaggy 2 Dope should be free to explore their creativity unfettered from their larger group efforts, something about their solo albums just seem off. Like Outkast, they are far more powerful together as the Posse.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
wendy's breakfast menu

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

chaosbreather posted:

yeah in nemesis, which is the worst star trek movie, riker is like, computer, activate the manual steering column and this stupid logitech joystick rises out of a hutch. this doesn't happen on star trek again

the borg queen was this character they created for first contact which doesn't make any sense, the borg are supposed to be like perfect single-brained communist guys and then you have this bitch struttin around showing off her tits who is somehow the boss of a people whose point is they are their own boss, because they wanted sex appeal, it was terrrrible but i guess they brought her back in voyager despite the fact they killed her sooooooooo

back in the original series with kirk the warp scale was different so like, they went to warp 22 and poo poo when in the new scale warp 10 is infinitely fast, the asymptote of the warp curve if that makes sense

in ds9 for one episode everyone gets a holocommunicator on their bridges. it takes up like a whole stations worth of real estate on there and has a stupid glowing floor ring that lights up so when you chat they look like they're in the same room as you. it was real bad

ambo jitsu is this borderline racist, massively stupid martial art that riker and his dad do. you fight with giant cotton buds, blind. for some reason it never makes a comeback

in original series there used to be a bunch of different dudes, like a new one each episode, in charge of engineering, and no-one really had much of a part at all. shimoda was the best one because he got drunk but they were all very temporary

geordie gets the computer to create a sentient hologram based off of moriaty from sherlock holmes because of a bet. it doesn't go well

for like one episode the klingon worf was dating councillor troi. it wasn't a good fit, esp because she was riker's ex, but also because worf is kind of a fuckman

data gets an emotion chip from his dad that would help him feel emotions. he decides he's not ready to feel emotions, because that would completely destroy the point of his character, which is pinocchio

in like the first episode of voyager, tom says, "it's the Voyager!" which sounds totally wrong despite the fact that "the Enterprise" is totally fine

in that same first episode voyager gets lost in the delta quadrant so in the point of the show's continuity they never really see it again, it takes some weird time travel poo poo that was terrible to bring them home, and the whole show has just awful writing so its more like wishful thinking

when the ferengi were introduced in tng they were kind of lovely rat people that danced around like some stupid school play and had whips that they whipped at people to laser them rather than a gun. it was all really stupid and while the whips don't really show themselves again they wouldn't become unstupid until ds9

cardassian soldiers used to have weird head gear when they were first introduced. they were very terrible and unnecessary, they have a lot of poo poo going on already to make em look alien

Thanks your post just gave me autism

Edit - well, more autism.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Tumble posted:

for me it always made sense. Mario lives in a pretty safe universe when you think about it; his worst enemy is Bowser and you can mess him up just by swinging him around by his tail. The fire Bowser breathes is just a couple of milder flames that dance around so he's not exactly a Game of Thrones level dragon, he's more on the level of a dinosaur Muppet.

It makes sense that going for a refreshing swim would get Mario back to normal and ready to go hop around some some more. Heck, I bet even the standing water pools don't have any harmful bacteria in them, Mario's probably guzzling that stuff down.

Mr Shigeru Miyamato envisioned mario games as like plays and all of the characters are actors playing a part. The games like mario kart are just the cast getting together to blow off a little steam (or maybe fire if you're the Koopa King!)

so Mario's just pretending to be set on fire. It's all special effects you loving dope

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
mountain dew flavors at taco bell that I see once and then never again

the flintstones movie and its sequel

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Everything in Star Trek outside of the original series, the better movies and The Next Generation

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
jar-jar binks

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Highlander series is the greatest example of all of this because the first film is perfectly constructed to leave no room for a sequel. There are immortals, there can be only one, all of them fight and at the end only one is left and he has the prize. It ties a beautiful little bow on the whole thing and is indicative of a time when people cared about making a satisfying film more than sequel/franchising potential.

Each unnecessary sequel has to completely re-write the first film in an insane attempt to justify its existence, after which the NEXT sequel also ignores that one.

Highlander II - ACTUALLY, the immortals are aliens sent from the planet Zeist and the winner of the prize can choose to go back to Zeist or live life as a mortal, so you see, there's more story to be told...

Highlander II Renegade Cut - ACTUALLY, the immortals are sent from the past on Earth because a group of watchers doesn't anyone to win the prize during their time. And more guys are coming from the past, so you see, there's more story to be told...

Highlander III - ACTUALLY, none of that ever happened. You THOUGHT Connor won the prize, but you see, there were some other immortals trapped in a cave so whatever he won wasn't ACTUALLY the prize and he needs to win it again, so you see, there's more story to be told...

Highlander The Series - ACTUALLY, it just so happens that TWO guys from the same Scottish clan were immortals and this one is going to win the prize, so you see, there's more story to be told...

Highlander Endgame - ACTUALLY, Connor didn't win the prize, a bunch of watcher dudes captured him and secluded him in a temple because they didn't want him to win the prize, but he needs to team up with his cousin to stop ANOTHER dude who isn't the Kurgan from winning the prize, so you see, there's more story to be told...

Highlander The Animated Series - ACTUALLY, it just so happens that THREE guys from the same Scottish clan were immortals...

gently caress OFF. None of that happened. Connor Macleod won the prize and that's it.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
neddard stark's sense of right and wrong

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
This thread is about star trek now, talk about things that dont belong in star trek

(lightsabers)

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Gendry Barathien

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

chaosbreather posted:

while you're right, they were stupid as gently caress on tng, they did show quark's marauder mo action figure holding a whip during an episode of ds9, and on enterprise they fully brought back the whip as a really bad rear end weapon wielded by ethan phillps

Other Barry
Jun 5, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

ANAmal.net posted:

the cardassians wearing football helmets everywhere makes sense actually, since cardassians are retarded and would otherwise bash their brains out on door frames or from falling over

cardassians are actually the best, smartest race and anyone in their right mind would have been honored to be liberated from whatever theocratic squalor they came from and labor for the glory of cardassia instead, hth

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

gently caress. yes. :five: :five: :five:

e: this oval office

oh thanks nolan another irrelevant cheesedick to keep barbara gordon out of your sausagefest.

Saint Drogo fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 29, 2017

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
wow op

you've sure got a heart on :heysexy: :wink:

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

chaosbreather posted:

for star trek:

ferengi laser whips
cardassian head brace things

Hey now, the Ferengi laser whips/can snakes were awesome :colbert:

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

im pooping! posted:

while you're right, they were stupid as gently caress on tng, they did show quark's marauder mo action figure holding a whip during an episode of ds9, and on enterprise they fully brought back the whip as a really bad rear end weapon wielded by ethan phillps

i'm not saying that the reframing job ds9 did didn't utterly vindicate the ferengi, and that casting the whip as a kitchy nostalgia thing was an loving brilliant idea and a memorable as poo poo prop. ds9 cleaned up a lot of shat beds

but that thing was reeeediculous and it was never justified why the ferengi, a people all about trading, wouldn't just use the best, easiest, push button weapon any species makes. which is probably the romulan disruptor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mostlytigerproof
Jul 12, 2015

Highlander Regenesis - ACTUALLY, a time travel accident leads to an entirely different set of immortals contesting the prize.
Highlander: Aftermath - ACTUALLY, there can only be one Ghost Immortal in the afterlife. Will it be Ramirez?
The Highlander (2026) - ACTUALLY, it's just a compilation of Queen music videos. Acclaimed as the best of the series.

• Locked thread