Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
FRIENDS is set up almost exactly like seinfeld except it doesnt attempt anything but the most milquetoast of sitcom motions. i know seinfeld is technically about nothing but thats the core of it's subversion. theres a mutual understanding between the viewers and creators about what the show is about. in friends though this relationship is nonexistent, the show is a by-the-numbers sitcom using the sensibilities of network television circa 2002.

most of the characters are straight up narcissists who if they were your actual friends you would loving hate them. it follows the basic sitcom setup of "i want thing. i am going to screw my friends over for thing. oh no the nature of thing is not what i thought, and i also screwed over friend!! what am i going to do? i am going to double-down and make the situation worse" except this is not the core joke, like seinfeld, its just a necessity of the serial television medium

the lovely thing with friends though is that even tho its just another sitcom thats passively pouring someone else's value system straight into your skull its flashy production values and insane popularity pretends that it has some measure of relatability and emotional depth to it when its literally just Full House

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
FRIENDS might have done more damage to society than anyone can possibly imagine

the people i know that are FRIENDS fans are all insanely bad at interpersonal relationships because they do things purely through a sense of 'what they are supposed to do' like their entire personality complex is dictated by what society deems acceptable. i guess you could call them sheeple but i dont care about flouride in drinking water im just talking about the way they act in response to stimuli - they respond with behaviors learned from watching other people except they have not learned those behaviors from real people they have learned them from television. i mean thats like core human nature if you aren't autistic but the subtle difference is that the people on a television screen are not actually people - they are actors playing fictional characters

FRIENDS fans are like, hosed up broken people

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

a misanthrope posted:

everyone thinks they're chandler but they're probably ross

ross is probably the worst person in the entire show. i think he's supposed to be the protagonist that people relate to but like no aspect of the show's drama is relateable and the characters all act in incredibly emotionally neglectful and straight up abusive ways

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Hammerite posted:

which is worse, friends or big bang theory

big bang theory isnt even a competently produced television show though. its actually kind of interesting to look at the scene blocking in friends which is at least more interesting than anything that actually happens in the show. the little ive seen of the big bang theory its a loving disaster where nobody involved does more than phone it in

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

WatermelonGun posted:

Didn't Anna Farris show up in the show at some point?

Regardless Anna Farris is hot as gently caress, and way hotter than Phoebe's monstrous face

i didnt know who this is and it looks like my ex girlfriend so i cant help but feel a little revulsion sorry

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

oldpainless posted:

To be fair, why should they put any effort in? They're super rich and their show isn't funny and they all know it

well yeah but there are people buying big bang theory tshirts. clearly they dont know it

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
none of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

• Locked thread