Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I loving love natural disasters. I know, I know. It's awful and I should be ashamed but God-drat if a mountain exploding red hot rock and searing gasses from the depths of the Earth isn't an awe inspiring spectacle. Go gently caress yourself if you don't think a towering wall of water heaved forth by the buckling bones of the planet and scouring the land clean isn't something you'd pay cash money to see.

As much as the government would like to cover it up the facts are these: Natural disasters are real. They have happened and they will happen again!

"But Funky, it couldn't happen to me."

Wrong! Idiot. It can happen to you and God willing when it does you'll have a camera and internet access handy before the fury of the cosmos dissolves into the nothing you came from.

Here are just a few examples of the ways the Universe might decide to show you just how insignificant you are. Feel free to add your own to the ever growing list of terrors that will destroy us.

Big Fast Rocks.

One day a big rock is going to smash into the planet and KILL. loving. EVERYTHING. The sheer number of rocks hurtling around in space means that we can never know for sure when one will strike us. Maybe we can track most of the ones large enough to wipe out life as we know it, but one big enough to flatten your city? Nope. Could happen at any time. We have no idea and, frankly, we're overdue.

Marauding Invisible Death Gravity.

I don't know if you've looked up at night recently but space is black. The perfect environment for the malevolent Rogue Black Hole to hide in. You can't see them. You can't hear them. But they're there. The first warning we'd have that one of these monstrosities has waltzed into our neighborhood is when we start dodging the less deadly Big Fast Rocks it hurls at us as it passes through the Kuiper Belt. Even our Glorious Sun couldn't protect us then. It'll get eaten too.

Speaking of the Sun.

This is my least favorite natural disaster because it's one that we'll have no chance to ogle on the internet. Most of the time the sun sends us its benevolent rays to help warm us when it's cold but sometimes it loves us just a little too much. When it just can't hold it in anymore it will erupt and send a Coronal Mass Ejection out into space. Well, we're in space and sometimes we're in the same space it sends these hosed up star hugs. It'll look real pretty at first as an aurora effect encompasses half the globe but then we'll notice little things like the microwave clock isn't on and modern civilisation doesn't work anymore.

Those are some of the big ones but there's lots of little ones, like that dam in California that just wouldn't loving burst. I think I know about all of the natural disasters but if there's some calamity I don't know about I'd love to learn about it here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Falling down into septic tank is how I want to go.

Lobotomy Bob
Jun 13, 2003

I think getting swallowed by a sudden earthquake would be a pretty cool way to die.

Horrifying then painful, but cool.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Snatch Duster posted:

Falling down into septic tank is how I want to go.

One that had its lid torn open by the howling winds of a Category 6 Death Storm?

Lobotomy Bob posted:

I think getting swallowed by a sudden earthquake would be a pretty cool way to die.

Horrifying then painful, but cool.

Like a gaping crevice or slowly sinking into liquefied ground?

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
one really tiny meteorite that hits me in the head while im walking the dog

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

OMFG FURRY posted:

About 100 people a year die from extra terrestrial impacts. So even on earth space is still more likely to kill you than sharks.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

OMFG FURRY posted:

Same but hit by a giant dog while I'm wwlking my meteorite

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

my favourite is collapse of the false vacuum energy level of the universe

if it ever happened anywhere a bubble of lower-energy space would convert and destroy the higher energy space, expanding and expanding like a bubble going the speed of light, destroying not only all matter in the universe but the ability of matter to form in the first place

like, maybe even space loses a couple of dimensions, wouldn't that be crazy

or if m theory turns out to apply to this universe in such a way that branes are real and all the universe is on this massive hypersurface in this massive bulk of universes and one just crashes into ours, a whole universe colliding. some people think that might be what the big bang was.

pretty neat if you ask me

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

chaosbreather posted:

my favourite is collapse of the false vacuum energy level of the universe

if it ever happened anywhere a bubble of lower-energy space would convert and destroy the higher energy space, expanding and expanding like a bubble going the speed of light, destroying not only all matter in the universe but the ability of matter to form in the first place

like, maybe even space loses a couple of dimensions, wouldn't that be crazy

or if m theory turns out to apply to this universe in such a way that branes are real and all the universe is on this massive hypersurface in this massive bulk of universes and one just crashes into ours, a whole universe colliding. some people think that might be what the big bang was.

pretty neat if you ask me

Could the former actually destroy the universe though if the collapse travels the speed of light while space expands faster than the speed of light?

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Could the former actually destroy the universe though if the collapse travels the speed of light while space expands faster than the speed of light?

I don't think space expands faster than the speed of light

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

About 100 people a year die from extra terrestrial impacts. So even on earth space is still more likely to kill you than sharks.

Really? Seems high to me.

As far as natural disasters go. Bushfires are common, so maybe come to Australia?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Psycho Society posted:

I don't think space expands faster than the speed of light

Yeah it totally does. It's a technically incorrect to use speed as a measurement and hopefully someone with a clearer understanding of it could explain it better but the universe is getting larger faster than the speed of light. It's why at some point in the distant future (if we could somehow keep the sun burning and the planet habitable) any life that evolves on earth will be completely ignorant of the larger universe. As far as they will be possibly able to know the solar system will be everything that exists. No light will reach us that they could observe it with.

Blow posted:

Really? Seems high to me.

As far as natural disasters go. Bushfires are common, so maybe come to Australia?

Well, technically about 90. I live in Australia and bushfires are loving wicked. Tragic, horrible events but if you've never woken up to find an apocalyptic sky and blood red sun you haven't lived.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Yeah it totally does. It's a technically incorrect to use speed as a measurement and hopefully someone with a clearer understanding of it could explain it better but the universe is getting larger faster than the speed of light. It's why at some point in the distant future (if we could somehow keep the sun burning and the planet habitable) any life that evolves on earth will be completely ignorant of the larger universe. As far as they will be possibly able to know the solar system will be everything that exists. No light will reach us that they could observe it with.

Holy poo poo

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

thats actually a super interesting question

space is expanding so durn much and getting faster all the time, which is called dark energy. it makes space itself stretch so you can definitely pick events that recede faster than light without poo poo going wrong.

(quick car analogy: you could extend a race track, which would make it seem like older cars in races before you did this moved faster since they have smaller lap times)

that dark energy, is or probably is or kind of is or it's complicated, that vacuum energy state. so if you find a way for space to be that's at a lower energy level then it slows down (maybe), and ALL that energy gets released, and since energy is mass and mass has gravity, the anti-gravity force could turn into a gravity force that gets stronger as it converts. so depending on how much lower the energy level is, the conversion bubble could easily catch up and even reverse the expansion of space. pretty crazy poo poo

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
You lost me there mate

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Well, technically about 90. I live in Australia and bushfires are loving wicked. Tragic, horrible events but if you've never woken up to find an apocalyptic sky and blood red sun you haven't lived.

i think it's because speed is a property of distance and time, and if the distance increases by expanding space between matter, so must the time it takes to travel that distance.

it's a gross oversimplification to the point where I'm probably incorrect

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Psycho Society posted:

You lost me there mate

I'll take a stab at it. The vast majority of the universe is made up of something that we don't really know what it is. One of the things we observe that stuff doing is pushing all of the other stuff (galaxies, stars, planets, nebula etc) away from each other at a faster and faster rate. Under this scenario that other stuff would "switch poles?" and as it converts instead of pushing it starts pulling. At first it slows down the rate of pushing but as more and more gets converted the expansion of the universe would cease and the bubble of annihilation would be able to catch up and destroy everything. I think I'm butchering that explanation but this is the kind of stuff that doesn't really fit well into analogies our brains can intuitively understand.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

space is getting bigger because of space energy

if you free the space energy it becomes regular energy

Regular energy makes space smaller

All Things want to have less energy so If you free the space energy at a place all the places near that place will free their energy too and so on

Things need space energy to be how it is, to keep on being things

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

I'll take a stab at it. The vast majority of the universe is made up of something that we don't really know what it is. One of the things we observe that stuff doing is pushing all of the other stuff (galaxies, stars, planets, nebula etc) away from each other at a faster and faster rate. Under this scenario that other stuff would "switch poles?" and as it converts instead of pushing it starts pulling. At first it slows down the rate of pushing but as more and more gets converted the expansion of the universe would cease and the bubble of annihilation would be able to catch up and destroy everything. I think I'm butchering that explanation but this is the kind of stuff that doesn't really fit well into analogies our brains can intuitively understand.

That makes more sense to me, thanks. That's pretty nuts, I've never heard of the expansion of space reversing like that.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

chaosbreather posted:

space is getting bigger because of space energy

if you free the space energy it becomes regular energy

Regular energy makes space smaller

All Things want to have less energy so If you free the space energy at a place all the places near that place will free their energy too and so on

Things need space energy to be how it is, to keep on being things

I think one of the great implications of this is that there is potentially 0 total energy in the universe, which totally allows for a universe spontaneously coming into existence out of nothing.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Do gamma ray bursts next!!!

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I like to go to yellowstone and camp with the chill bison and ask them if they know when its gonna pop

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
they totally know

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

In local space (wherever that is) you are still bound by the speed of light. Like, there is a tipping point as you get farther out that space expands faster than light.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

ive got a deep impact for tea leoni right here

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

How did tea leoni die in deep impact

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

blugu64 posted:

Do gamma ray bursts next!!!

Eh, they're kinda boring. Fucks up the ozone layer and maybe cools the earth down a bit. Where's the destruction on an epic scale? Sure, I guess a star blew up a couple of light years away but unless I'm getting a live feed from alpha centuri at the time I don't really care.

Uncle Wemus posted:

Oh man, I am so glad you asked that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNtsVP42bOE

I mean, not hugging my dad, but cowering in fear as I'm washed away by Poseidon's wrath.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 29, 2017

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Uncle Wemus posted:

Roto-Rooter malfunction.

Manic Mailman
Jul 2, 2004
Tea Leoni died having sex with Sean Connery by the beach, not a bad way to go in my opinion.

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
Does global warming count as a natural disaster? I want global warming to get so bad the oceans rise and temperatures escalate and the world turns into a Jurassic swamp and 20 foot iguanas that have risen as the dominant life form tear me limb from limb and my dismembered remains sink to the bottom of the bayou in which they dwell

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

amusinginquiry posted:

Does global warming count as a natural disaster? I want global warming to get so bad the oceans rise and temperatures escalate and the world turns into a Jurassic swamp and 20 foot iguanas that have risen as the dominant life form tear me limb from limb and my dismembered remains sink to the bottom of the bayou in which they dwell

It can! That is a cool way to go but you'd have to live for a long time for iguanas to get that big. Have you considered being torn apart by alligators?
Personally I'd rather the climate get to a point where there's way more oxygen so bugs can get giant again. A cool side effect of that is that when there are lightning strikes it can ignite the atmosphere and cause huge explosions.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

k i was on board with cataclysmic nature until you brought up the bug things nah. nah

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

would something be able to decay the orbit of the moon so it smashes into us like a planetary mother and child reunion

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

whoflungpoop posted:

k i was on board with cataclysmic nature until you brought up the bug things nah. nah

I dunno, I think a large part of the problem with bugs is that they're small. Big things are easier to deal with. It'd be no problem at all to swat a fly the size of a crow for example.

whoflungpoop posted:

would something be able to decay the orbit of the moon so it smashes into us like a planetary mother and child reunion

I guess if something smashed into it with enough force it could. The opposite is happening though. The moon is very slowly leaving us. One day there will be no moon because it will escape orbit and fly off into space. I hope it will become someone else's moon. Someone that will actually visit it once it a while.

That's a natural disaster too though because when the moon goes it will gently caress up the earth's tilt and cause crazy weather.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Oh man, I am so glad you asked that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNtsVP42bOE

I mean, not hugging my dad, but cowering in fear as I'm washed away by Poseidon's wrath.
I'm the birds like "THIS FLOCK IS HEREBY DISBANDED" <flies in every direction and all still die>

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I also wanted to die hugging Maximilian Schell. But he's dead now.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Didn't read thread but I want to go in Tea Leoni in Deep Impact

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I want to go deep impact into Tea Leoni, but only 90's version

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
Tea Leoni

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

I guess if something smashed into it with enough force it could. The opposite is happening though. The moon is very slowly leaving us. One day there will be no moon because it will escape orbit and fly off into space. I hope it will become someone else's moon. Someone that will actually visit it once it a while.

That's a natural disaster too though because when the moon goes it will gently caress up the earth's tilt and cause crazy weather.

:ohdear: everyone find all the rope u can ill teach yall some splices lets do this

• Locked thread