Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I vote we buy 'Murican from Broadstreet and our outfit should be Hired Goons.

I'll take any plane, callsign Big Pig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

warhammer651 posted:

Starfighters also double as an expedient means of firing and vetting personnel. Get a full squadron to train incoming pilots on.

They might be a bit more INCOMING! than they expected. :v:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Drones and missiles? Can't go wrong with Zack.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Nice, I'm our tanker pilot. That seems appropriate for Big Pig. Probably not necessary for this mission, as those distances don't look that far?

Also find it amusing that our primary mission is defending food due to the infrastructure heading north being poo poo, and the secondary mission is to make infrastructure in the north even more poo poo. :v:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I'm not up to speed on modern and semi-modern equipment enough to dictate what we buy, but as a wise man once said: never turn down an opportunity to reload. We should definitely be buying up ammo.

Also, as for what our principles are, they should be the most Goon-y of principles. History is written by the victor, and clearly the victor would hire us. :getin: Politics is for suckers, we're just here to make money and not get shot.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I don't have a full proposal, but I fully support us buying 1-2 UAVs. I stand by my commitment to drone technology. It is the future! :colbert:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I vote Phantom Frog. The only real limitation would be armament acquirement, and I don't think that'll necessarily end up being a huge deal yet. Plus it keeps our liquidity up, which I believe will be important soon enough.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I didn't think I'd get to see flight time so soon as our tanker. You guys better keep me safe-ish. Crispy bacon may be delicious, but all that fuel exploding might slightly over cook even a Big Pig. :v:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Guys, we voted on the appearance we wanted to have, and that was high performance, high budget. Do Frogfoots, old russian piles of junk, scream high budget? Phantoms are American, speedy and powerful strike planes. I vote full phantom.

Phantoms are also old junk. If we were going to roll high flash high cost, we would have gone American from the start. We're not a steak house, we're a Ruby Tuesday. We have some steak, sure. But you can get a burger, or some spicy shrimp, or whatever. We get the job done, and you get a good meal for more than fast food prices but less than a porterhouse. But you get a bit of everything, rather than exceptional quality at one thing.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

They're about as old junk as a Cadillac. Classic Americana will always impress clients.

If your Cadillac doesn't start 1 time in 5, it's still a piece of junk.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Does the phantom really need a scrotum hat?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Do we have any idea what kind of manpower and/or equipment our ground bound merc friends have? Training? ... A brochure?

If their pitchman is a fat guy with giant scissors, they can gently caress right off.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I vote that we hire the American recruits to be our boots on the ground. Also, that the complimentary 1911 goes to my pilot in the tanker, so he can play with a loaded weapon in the cockpit of a giant missile full of jet fuel while smoking giant cigars, like a true mercenary pilot.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Bacarruda posted:

e: I do have on minor request for you and Zaodai, I'd like to ride in the tanker for this mission to see the sights. Also, if goons are interested, I think we should let people act as co-pilots on the Saab 105s -- that will get more people into the air sooner.

Request approved. But there is one very important rule for tanker ride-alongs: They're BYOB.

I'll totally share my cigars though.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Yooper posted:

I approve this. I'll backseat goons where applicable.

I've made a few contacts in the Indian Air Force and found an agreeable gentleman who needs a donation for an operation or something. So, for a cool $1,000,000 we'll get access to Port Blair Airfield for unarmed aircraft.

Would that include being able to return there once things go hot? Because it doesn't do us a whole lot of good if we get refused entry once the Mallomar Republic starts trying to kill us for terror strikes on their shipping lanes. Once we're safely back on the ground the Indians would be obligated to protect our aircraft since otherwise it's their own base getting blown the gently caress up.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Yeah, if we're getting full use for our unarmed craft from there, it's totally worth the million.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

We wouldn't be able to land our fighters there. Non-combat craft only.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Bacarruda posted:

"Unarmed aircraft."

If we have a serious fuel crisis or a battle-damaged Gripen, we can jettison weapons and they can land. It isn't great, but if we dump a million bucks in weapons to save a 30 million fighter, that's worth doing.

It would still have guns, presumably. Makes it a little difficult to play technicalities. That said, we really don't know how much to the letter the Indians will hold us.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

What is their policy on battle-damage emergency landings? Would they be considered a neutral country in that regard, and offer us 48 hours of asylum and a place to not crash and die? They are the closest airport afterall, they would merely be doing their civic duty on the international stage.

Lack of fuel is poor planning, that part I think they should be rightfully pissed about if we try and sneak in our combat craft to save money on fuel or whatever. But someone losing half a wing to a missile or some such would be a pretty excusable reason to need to land at the closest place.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I'm fine with whatever we need fuel wise, I leave that to you. I just drive the van.

I meant what is India's policy on letting our combat craft land there in the case of a non-fuel emergency from battle damage. As a neutral third party, they should theoretically allow us a couple days of asylum without it affecting their overall neutrality in the conflict.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Usual Barb posted:

I love that the Austrian air force is using stock music in their videos for some reason.

Because it's cheap and it won't get your video taken down for rights violations.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Bad luck happens. I hope that if we end up with a bunch of duds during the mission and everything goes to poo poo, well, tough luck. If we are assured protection from bad rolls so that we succeed, why even bother to play?

Hopefully we live long enough to be able to buy reliable equipment, but right now we're stuck with what we've got. That said, there's a reason I said we should keep our liquidity up rather than piss away all our money on F4s, which incidentally have an even higher failure rate than those bombs.

Good times.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

We could have also just not bought garbage and had money for when good equipment becomes available, but why plan for tomorrow when you could leave your money broken down on the tarmac today!

[EDIT]
Also what the hell are we using to simulate ground combat that has bone deflection for shrapnel. That sounds awesome (and Dwarf Fortressy in complexity).

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

We need to paint our tanker up like that grafitti covered biplane. :catdrugs:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Funding A.

If we're going to do this thing, we might as well do it right. Well, as right as we can under the circumstances. We'll get some fancy uniforms, and an ice cream machine for the break room, and lots of cocaine BOOKS FOR LEARNING.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I vote no to the Museum deal. We already have garbage-can museum pieces, we bought those loving Phantoms.

Save the money so we can get some proper 'murrican equipment once we get out of theater.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

150 million dollary doos? That's a spicy meat-a-ball.

Wonder how many F-16s that would buy.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I believe what Yooper means is, much like the museum pieces would have been resolved prior to us trying to send them up in the air rather than us trying to fly one and finding out it had no engines while it's sitting on the runway, the Phantoms will have their operations roll made during the planning phase, not the execution phase, so we will know whether or not our Phantoms are flight-worthy each mission.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

power crystals posted:

I guess I'm just confused by the meaning of "from then on" but that does seem like a reasonable explanation.

"From then on" would mean that if the Phantoms get off the ground for their first sortie of the day, and then come back and re-arm and sortie again in the same mission, they don't reroll for failure.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

chitoryu12 posted:

Does this even legally count as an airport?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FNRoInsMqo

It does in India! It has pavement and everything, what more could you ask for?

In all seriousness, I've been on (civilian, single-engine) planes that have landed at shittier airstrips than that. just without the risk of going off a mountain.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I think we can count on the ineptitude of a Chinese Fire Drill. :v:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

It seems odd to me that this game is one of those ultra-groggy sims and yet (apparently) artificially caps weapon ranges super hard and has poo poo damage models. As a filthy casual, I can't hope to see how that makes sense to grogs, but I'd love to know.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Are all their AA platforms adorable little go-karts with weapons? :3:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Even the tryhard equipment we have access to isn't going to match top of the line stuff major militaries have. And we're not going to be able to buy even our high end stuff in bulk because it will cost a shitload.

Buying silver bullets won't make the game boring by making us overrun our competition. It'll just give us an excuse to hunt werewolves. ... Metaphorically.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I believe you're missing our non-combat support craft. :colbert:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Yooper posted:

BigPig is on the ground for this one. But I'll have it in the future!

I know, but I have to look out for my fellow skill-monkies of the sky.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Bacarruda posted:

No tanker? Oh dear.

I draw the easiest job in the fleet. I don't even have to wake up for missions, they just leave my cut of pay by the door, because most the time a mission comes up where we'd need refueling the Indians cough up a closer airbase. They're so considerate! :v:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Our procurement officer should get us a list of available stuff with info about effectiveness in-game-engine, and then people can put proposals together for us to vote.

Probably will end up being a bit of a cluster that way, but that's what Goons are known for.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

We should hire Jack the ghost of Johnny Cochran to defend him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

F-16s and Apaches! Too bad we'd be paying 20% markup for buying them. :negative: