Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Yooper posted:

Yes. We can use it.

The Durandals that came with the Gripens were "lost" in transit. But any Frogfoot munitions is OK. Just be sure to clean all the cosmoline off.

Hmm, interesting.

Bacarruda, is there any way we can make these fit into your plans? Like Yooper said, we don't need to completely destroy the runway, but a few bomb craters to make the J-20s crash on landing would be helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

Z the IVth posted:

What does the runway's "HP" actually stand for?

Is it a sliding scale on how badly damaged a runway is or is it a binary thing where >0 is "fully functional" and 0 is "non-functional".

Other scenarios often set "Runway < 50% = cannot operate, but can be repaired," but I'm not sure if that's a scenario by scenario setting or a fixed setting.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Quinntan posted:

Yooper, does Lhasa have two runways like the irl one does?

Yes, two runways.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

I don't know if you've noticed, but Operation Thunderbolt isn't the right comparison; try Operation loving Mikado, a plan so crazy even Thatcher wouldn't sign off on it. I have to vote to kill the runways; the Indian volunteers can handle cleanup.

EDIT: It even has all the flaws of Operation Mikado! How will we know where the J-20s are stored, and if any will be available to steal (rather than laid up for maintenance or simply not there, having all departed to attack the IAF)? How will we know our big fat CN235 won't get pinged by a JF-17 or J-16? We have information about what kind of AAA/SAMs we'll be facing, but zero in the way of location and count--one MANPADS means the entire op is screwed.

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 11, 2017

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Strict Parenting with Light Attack. The proper way to shut down an air base!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

CirclMastr posted:

Jack wasn't the one who sank two nominally civilian freighters and a Chinese frigate, you know.

Yeah, I think this one is on us :smith:

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Can CMANO simulate a trench run? This is important

Forget a trench run, can CMANO simulate submarine launched anti-aircraft ballistic missiles? Let's go maximum Ace Combat!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

I'd rather get F-CK-1s and FA-50s for the sheer novelty value. Kfirs are also good.

EDIT: Oh, oh, and F-20s! Don't forget the F-20s!

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 13, 2017

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Phi230 posted:

I vote that Area 88 be the official soundtrack

Supplemented by Ace Combat as needed, because I will not be denied the awesomeness that is the AC4/ACI briefing theme.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Crazycryodude posted:

So Google Translate says that intercept is a message to the Lhasa "aviation chief" (airbase/wing commander I assume) RE: "supply problem". The gist I'm getting is that the higher ups are saying that they can't send any more planes and Lhasa will have to make do with what they've got. The J-20's can only be used in case of emergency.

There's an INCREDIBLY worrying bit that Google translates as "nuclear authorization request" surrounded by gibberish it didn't get, so..... um..... :stare:

Wait, J-20s only in case of emergency? Does that mean that the IAF flight might only encounter J-16s and JF-17s and WE'LL run into the J-20s?!

Also regarding nukes, what the hell?! China has an official no-first-use policy! Are they saying the IAF might deploy nuclear weapons?! :aaaaa:

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Shame they only built like 3 F-20 Tigersharks so we can't go full Area 88.

And F-8 Crusaders would be even more foolish than Ukrainian museum pieces.

This is clearly an alternate universe. We could probably buy F-20s direct from the manufacturer if we wanted.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Holy poo poo, I can't believe that worked! I mean, it's one thing to plan it out, and quite another to see it in action!

Yooper, can you post the Losses and Expenditures sheet if you still have the end of scenario save? It won't tell us who did the killing, but it will tell us who got killed.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Psawhn posted:

Pfff... Hahahahaha! That's amazing!

All of those plane losses, except for three J-20s, are ground kills! I don't think we dropped any LGBs or Mavericks on the tarmac, which means they were killed by either the Su-25s doing their gun runs (:black101:) or by the SK 60Bs' rockets!

I don't want to sell these SK 60s! They're beautiful! We can paint them black and put "Dragon Slayers" on them!

But, no, really. The SK 60s may only be useful against soft and unarmored targets (like planes out in the open! :haw: ), but if the opportunity for light CAS opens up again, it lets us save the better airframes for other uses. We can also still use them for their original purpose -- training pilots -- or we can stick an investor in the copilot seat and give them a demonstration flight.

"By utilizing operational environment shaping strategies and modern battlefield synergies, we have the capability to enable lightweight and efficient air warriors like the SK 60B to punch well above its weight class and find an effective role in modern combat environments even against fifth generation aircraft. This very plane you're sitting in has two confirmed kills against the J-20 Mighty Dragon, China's most modern advanced stealth superfighter."

If we sell them all we'll only get enough money for a single Meteor, which is basically a rounding error in the huge payday we just got. Unless our airbases start getting too crowded, or if it turns out hiring enough groundcrew to service them starts getting really expensive, we lose nothing by holding onto them.

I kinda have to agree with this. I don't think we'll ever be in a situation where we're strapped for parking spaces, so it isn't like we lose anything by keeping the SK 60Bs in the back pocket. Also I like the investor quote :cheeky:

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

I still want to try to make the world better, not actively worse, and setting fully loaded tankers on fire will make things worse. Angola.

As for our buy...

To Start: $534,012,376.00 (534M)

JAS 39C Gripen (70M) x 1 = 70M
(To replace losses)
Mirage 2000H India (35M) x 4 = 140M
(People here like Mirages; good for Strike)
F-4E Greek (15M) x 6 = 90M
(To make a full squadron of Phantoms; good for Strike and CAP [AMRAAMs])
Tornado (30M) x 4 = 120M
(For Strike and SEAD)
SIDAM (5M) x 4 + ASRAD (10M) x4 = 60M
(because as this showed, you can't be too careful with grounded aircraft)
Total Spent = 480M

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Crazycryodude posted:

Davin you know full well that if we go to Africa we're gonna end up as CAS for whoever the genocidal dictator du jour is.

Time to head out for the Bering Sea. We'd drat well better get to be eco-terrorists now :colbert:

Since we get to pick sides, maybe we can drop bombs on the dictator? :pray:

And you can totally be an ecoterrorist in Africa! Enforce anti-poaching regulations with the guns of an SK 60B!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

power crystals posted:

Su-27s are pretty much straight outclassed by the Gripens in the air-to-air role, mostly thanks to the Meteor missiles, with the main exception of number of missiles carried. I really do feel (as in my proposal) that we're best served with a "Gripens First" fleet where everything else exists to let the Gripens shove Meteors into the faces of things we don't like.

Alternately, a fleet where the Gripens shove Meteors into anything we don't like which lets everybody else do their business with giant bombs.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Man, we need to head to Angola and we need to give the Free State every single swirly possible.

Like, hell, I'd shoot those guys for free.

Count von Hoff would pay us to do it. Bonus points. Please tell me he's actually an idealist, and not a senile old man who will let his dipshit son/nephew/[insert younger relation here] screw up everything.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Dr. Snark posted:

Come on man. Look at them. They've got nothing aside from mercs-they would pay through the loving nose for any kind of support.

Knowing them, they'd probably pay us in "Free State Scrip" or some other worthless currency.

Dr. Snark posted:

Besides our two groups really aren't that different-both us and the Free State have/are pissing off power blocs far more dangerous than ourselves. Not to mention that these guys seem like they're as stupidly (and I'd like to emphasize stupidly) ambitious as we are.

Okay, first off, gently caress you for comparing us, second off, there's a huge difference between going in to support humanitarian aid and getting dragged into a bigger conflict and resurrecting a model of war that involves going to war over bat poop so that techbros can source their iPhone 13s marginally cheaper.

Dr. Snark posted:

I mean, they probably are assholes that deserve a good kick in the nads, but god drat would we have stories to tell if we rolled with them.

We'd have stories to tell our lawyers to get our money back after they cheat us out of our contract on some stupid-rear end technicality.

Also WRT procurement: I'm not sure if we need another tanker--if anything the one we already have has nearly screwed us twice over! And would a Tornado ECR be better than a Prowler?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Neophyte posted:

If y'all don't buy the two M163 VADS to tool around shooting up Angola then I can only conclude you hate fun. :colbert:

*vvvvVVVVRRRRMMMMMM**BRAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTT*

Honestly, if we really want good AA we'd probably buy Soviet, because those guys really know their AA, but I don't trust that dealer.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Renaissance Spam posted:

So I'm liking the majority of this. One question, besides the fact the thread likes mirages, could you explain to my dumb rear end why a fifth of our budget should go to buying Mirages? I'm just thinking if we want more strike craft why not spend nearly 60M less on 4 more FrogFoots?

It's mostly just "the thread likes Mirages". And also souvenirs from India. It looks like the consensus is to drop them. So how about...

(To replace losses)
(To make a full squadron of Phantoms; good for Strike and CAP [AMRAAMs]--that's all of them, btw)
Tornado (30M) x 4 = 120M
(For Strike and SEAD)

ZSU-23-4 (4M*1.2=5) x 6 + SA-22 (18M*1.2=21.6M) x 4 = 116.4M
(because as this showed, you can't be too careful with grounded aircraft--also someone above me said that the SA-22, aka Pantsir-S1, is practically a one-group airbase defender)

EA-6B (52M*1.4) = 72.8M
KC-135 (39M*1.4) = 54.6M

Total Spent = 523.8M

EDIT: Revised to switch Tornado ECR for Prowler.

EDIT EDIT: Revised to add tanker.

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 16, 2017

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

I'm not convinced that our tanker woes are logistical rather than doctrinal, but I've bowed to the will of the majority and added a tanker to my proposal.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Quinntan posted:

Actually, here's an idea.

I'd like to enquire with Wacky Willie about the possibility of finding either TriStar KC.1s or VC-10 K.4s.

This isn't a bad idea, actually. The UK contracts tanker ops in real life. Maybe we can get a sub contract with the same group!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Cathode Raymond posted:

I think some old SCUDS or comparably shoddy ballistic missiles would be more sensible than a B-52 if we need to just blow up a big chunk of the earth at some point.

I want to point to this and observe that turnabout is fair play.

I freely admit that this is a defense of my own purchase (and that I have heavily cottoned on to the idea of "Euro/Asian/'unusual' fighters, US support craft, Russian ground forces"). However, to all of the procurement plans whose ground based AA consists of a few token AA guns: what is your plan if our enemies fire SCUDs or FROG-7s at our runway, or attack with air launched stand-off weapons? We have to be on the watch for OPFOR doing a Strict Parenting against us.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

FWIW, I'd still prefer my option, but I'm happy with Peanuts.

power crystals posted:

By the way, my head hurts trying to figure out all these competing procurement plans and so I'm going to retroactively change my mind and say that from now on, package deals are probably better for our collective sanity.

I'm also going to agree with this.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

My proposal has already been made. I repeat my support for Angola, Count von Hoff. If he turns out to be a neo-imperialist we can put him down on the way out. The Dictator is an active and unrepentant human rights abuser, and the Free State is simply unconscionable. Same with the Bering Sea options, really--they're all pirates of various sorts.

Crazycryodude posted:

Can we PLEASE get around to helping them destroy capitalism one of these days? The post-capitalist future will still need people with guns, we'll just get paid in something other than USD. Hell, it might even be better for us without any shareholders holding our leash. On the operational level we're basically a worker owned co-op at this point, anyways.

At that point you might as well work for the loving Free State.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

EDIT: Ehhh, not the place for that. Sorry

Anta posted:

I gotta vote for the Count. We're using lovely Swedish planes to kill planes they have no business even going up against. Of course we have to support the crazy European noble.

On the same note, I oppose selling our Dragon Slayers, but if we do, at least get a better price for them. Paint on some J-20 kill markings and sell the story.

Agreed on both counts.

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Apr 17, 2017

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Actually now I'm curious. Is our Count intended to be a riff on Carl Gustaf von Rosen?

...are we making a 2nd Biafra?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

I'd actually like to modify my buy slightly, if you all don't mind. Let's call this Plan Better Safe than Sorry.

(To replace losses)
(To make a full squadron of Phantoms; good for Strike and CAP [AMRAAMs]--that's all of them, btw)
Tornado (30M) x 6 = 180M
(For Strike and SEAD)

VC-10 K4 (2M+21M) = 23M
(For tanking on the cheap)

ZSU-23-4 (4M*1.2=4.8) x 6 + SA-22 (18M*1.2=21.6M) x 4 = 115.2M
(because as this showed, you can't be too careful with grounded aircraft--also someone above me said that the SA-22, aka Pantsir-S1, is practically a one-group airbase defender)

EA-6B (52M*1.4) = 72.8M
(For EW funtimes)

Total Spent = 528M

Leaving a cool ~5 million for our next advisor.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Jimmy4400nav posted:

It looks like now your plan and mine are pretty similar.

Peanuts Proposal

Peanuts Proposal

I'm not against your proposal, but I'd rather have the extra Tornadoes than the MIM-23s, which aren't that good compared to the Pantsirs, especially at defeating ballistic missiles and/or glide bombs. But if your proposal makes it through to final voting and mine doesn't, rest assured I'll vote for you.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Can I put down a secondary vote for Peanut alongside my own?

EDIT: Sorry, Jimmy, but I need to vote A La Carte to protect our airfield from being defended by just a couple of SIDAM 25s!

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 17, 2017

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

I thought Yooper had cancelled the "no x% chance to not be available mission by mission" as unfun?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Wait what, Im confused, my proposal calls for both Hawk batteries and all 4 of the Pantsir batteries. I think of all the proposals mine is heaviest on base defence.

It's more that right now A La Carte and Para Bombum are neck and neck, and if I vote for you, Para Bombum might win. Sorry!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Uh, just to be sure, the A La Carte proposal is this one. That's a vote with an offer to modify it.

And restating my support for A La Carte

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 17, 2017

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Telsa Cola posted:

I agree with the prebuilt packages but maybe include a custom ordering option with a decent markup? That way if we want something really cool or good we can get it but other wise we have to work with what we get.

I suspect that's what Wild Willie's Special Shop is for.

But, yes, that sounds like a good procedure. Especially if we get the chance to order "built but never used operationally" items like F-20s or Yak-141s.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Angola - Count Carl Gustaf von Rosen Vidas von Hoff

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

xthetenth posted:

Count me in for Angola

I really liked Far Cry 2 and I'm looking forward to the subtle signs that we're actually just sowing the seeds for future conflict.

While I agree with you that that's certainly an interesting story, I think after the Tibet debacle we deserve a story where at least one idealist means exactly what they say, no matter how much that conflicts with the rest of the world. If every campaign ends with "and then things got worse!", it wouldn't be very interesting, now would it?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

CirclMastr posted:

We need to build up plenty of good will so that we aren't immediately sanctioned/invaded by the UN when we establish Outer Heaven.

I thought the cynical path our future would take would be more World with No Boundaries, myself.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Night10194 posted:

World with No Boundries was incredibly lame, though.

How dare you impugn the awesomeness that is Solo Wing Pixy?!

Besides, last time I checked Big Boss's air Force consisted of a few helicopters, not multiple squadrons with support aircraft.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Usual Barb posted:

gently caress colonialism and I don't trust someone who supported Rhodesia to have the people's best interests in mind.

I'm...pretty sure "running humanitarian aid into Rhodesia" means "flew in food and medicine for people displaced in the Rhodesian Bush War", not "supported the Rhodesian government."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Tetraptous posted:

Western Angola is the only part that matters.

I don't think it's a great idea to try and defend more than one airfield, so I vote we put everything in Lubago.

I'm convinced! Lubango, no split. If we split we run the very real risk of getting, I dunno, Camp Bastioned with a strung out defensive line.