Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
So what's everyone's plan for dealing with jerks on the ground with MANPADS launching on the cargo aircraft?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Pro "whatever is least likely to result in getting slapped by the almighty pimp hand of the US military".

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
Something that can do jamming would be a real good idea if the Chinese are getting serious about us. Also, have something hang back by our AWACS and tanker with Meteors, then use them to reach out and touch enemies without needing to light up their own radars.

Big things to expect for the next mission is that we'll need to find and swat whatever the Chinese are using to fly that general in, and we'll probably also be asked to bomb chokepoints on the railway.

There any such thing as a cheap ARM? Might be worth having a few of those available to lob at enemy radars and either blind them or force them to reveal hidden SAM sites to knock down our missiles.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
Looking around on the web, it looks like the Israelis have a line of anti-radar drones. Any idea if CMANO has them in its database and what they'd cost us if it does?

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

Quinntan posted:

We're in trouble if we start seeing J-10s though.

Or even worse, if we start not seeing J-20s.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
If we're getting F-4s, maybe get two kitted out as F-4Gs? That would give us a SEAD bird that can do some jamming on the side.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

Tythas posted:

Yea but the chairs are just so comfy for government purchased chairs

Real leather too.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
Any way to refit a couple of those Phantoms into Gs?

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
Guys? You might want to factor the Andaman Islands into your planning. India has both naval and air force bases there, and it's relatively near the part of Myanmar where the Chinese port is located.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
I reiterate that as the Andaman Islands are right by the port our target ships are heading to and already have Indian air and naval bases on them, we should see if we can make use of them for our anti-shipping strike.

I also think that if the Chinese air contingent in Tibet is grounded, this would be an excellent chance to ensure it stays grounded permanently by bombing and starring it into burning wreckage.

And it might be worth checking commercial flight paths over Myanmar to see if our strike force can pretend to be civilians on their way to the mission area. Maybe bribe a Burmese radar tech or two for insurance that they classify our aircraft appropriately?

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
Only buy the craptastic museum pieces if they can be converted into drones and then used as missiles and missile sponges.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
So, crazy idea that occurred to me: if we can't reliably close the runway, is there any chance we could steal the J-20s after they land?

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
Well, guess I might as well join the pilot queue. If a spot opens up, put me in with callsign Psychoceramic.

And good job on that last mission.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
I propose our next mission involve Venezuelan warlords in some way.

Mainly so that we can base ourselves somewhere in the Caribbean.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
So, it seems to me that at present we have an advantage we can leverage against the dictator: he needs the lithium shipments to get through. This means that if we start threatening those with our ground attack birds, we can force his air force to come out and play at a time and place of our choosing.

It also gives us a way to use cluster bombs without as many humanitarian issues; if we're dropping them all along a stretch of highway, we know where they are for post-war cleanup, and they're much less likely to have civilians accidentally stumbling across them.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

Well, it's obvious where they are. Aside from being easier to clean up, it's easier for people to avoid the dangerous stretch of roadway and figure out workarounds while it's still unsafe. The problem with cluster munitions in general is that they're not possible to avoid because they're scattered indiscriminately and there's no way of knowing exactly where they are until people start blowing up.

Think of it like the difference between a marked and unmarked minefield. Only more so.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
Still watching, but I note that all three of our HARMs got pickled off at nothing early in the mission, hence why Yooper couldn't find them when he went looking at about the 24:00 mark.

Edit: Okay, never mind, we had more HARMs. Although I don't think we hit anything with those either. And what the hell was Mobius trying to do that involved doing donuts over a SAM site until it shot him down rather than flying away and hitting it with a bomb or something?

Might be worth arranging for Commander Rohan to take a nice relaxing vacation while leaving her Rafales to us. That would nicely replace our aircraft losses.

Also, it looks like the mercs at S&M were more on the M side this time, because we saw a whole bunch of Golden Eagles get swatted in exchange for jack poo poo.

The Sandman fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Apr 23, 2017

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
Out of curiosity, can our Prowler jam the missiles along with the FCR from that SA-20 battery?

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
I say we pass word of the diamond convoy on to our groundpounders and let them grab it. It should be just what the accountant ordered as far as improving their finances.

Also that we use our El Cheapo drones to designate targets for our aircraft and try to bait either the Tunguska or the SA-20 into firing on them.

And that we pick up the bomb trucks. A B-1 and B-52 would be lovely. The AC-130 we get as a present for our footsloggers.

We also might want to invest in more ground crew, although I'm not sure how CMANO would represent that. At the very least, having a military bulldozer and some engineers to loan to the Count would speed up the repairs at Menongue.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
Maybe we should have the ground guys try to find and kill the SA-20 battery?

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
Voting for Plan By The Numbers myself.

Also, willing to have my 'nado be the one slinging HARMs.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

Night10194 posted:

It's really good that we don't post all our detailed battle plans on an internet forum for our enemies to-

Oh gently caress. Thank god no-one ever visits our dying comedy forum.

Don't worry, they'll never suspect we're posting over a decade in the past.

Yooper posted:

No idea who's flying them right now. I imagine they're hiring pilots on eLancer or something.

Oh god, I just had a brilliant idea (admittedly, it'll only work once): we get them to unknowingly hire some of our pilots, then just fly off with their planes.

The Sandman fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Apr 25, 2017

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
My problem with any plan that involves trying to hit the diamonds before the S-300 is that doing so means we likely get any missiles we lob at the diamond truck shot down by the S-300 and/or its Tunguska buddies, while unable to engage the SAMs fast enough to take advantage of them having used up some of their ready missiles.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

UberJew posted:

S300 radar detects low altitude threats at a much shorter range and the cruise missile will travel very low

Also unless it is right on top of the convoy it has to intercept from an angle which will be less effective than against a direct strike

Its be nice to have cruise missiles and a bunch of harms but somebody lost two tornados :v:

And the Tunguskas?

I'm making the assumption here that we have some time to work with as far as taking out the diamonds, since they're in ordinary trucks and we know both their route and their schedule. They won't be expecting us to attack them (and thus deliberately changing either of those things) until we actually attack them. Therefore, we can adjust what we swat them with based on circumstances, using cheaper and shorter-range munitions if we don't have to get the strike through a functioning air defense net.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
Name the SK-60s "St. George", "Sigurd", "Susanoo", "Nezha", "Zeus" and "Marduk".

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

Loel posted:

Skimmed the thread looking for our wishlist

Replace Tornadoes
More Gripens and Tornadoes
B-1B
AC-130
OTR-21
OTR-23
BM-21
S-400
PLZ-45

This looks about right?

You forgot the B-52.

And stealing as many of the Free State's planes as possible.

Also, we could use a second EWAR bird and a better AWACS.

Some helicopters would also be a good idea. CSAR for us, transports and maybe a gunship or two as a present for the footsloggers once they finally get beyond Thunderdome.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
I just realized we're forgetting the most important flying vehicle of all: the Aerogavin.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
The one issue with buying legacy Bugs or Super Bugs is that they've likely been rode hard and put away wet. Having a plane disintegrate under me because airframe fatigue finally caught up with it isn't my idea of a good time.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
We could get Rafales on the cheap by going to the French and telling them we could be a flying advertisement for them, especially when their PR likely took a hit from the Indians losing 30 of them in an afternoon. IRL, the French have had trouble getting sales when going up against the American and Russian colossi, so they could use an example of what they have to offer an air force that can't afford or aren't trusted enough for the best American/Russian stuff.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
A Growler is an "if we can afford one great, if not we have to make do with a Prowler" purchase.

If it's a choice between just getting the Growler or getting the Prowler and another plane besides, we need the option with the extra airframe.

Should the Great Plane Robbery work out, though, we can probably sell a few of the Kfirs to raise cash for a Growler.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
And the Taurus strike on the SAM site failed. Who would have guessed that two missiles wouldn't be enough to saturate its defenses?

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
Time to throw our ground team at the problem. If that isn't an option, we need to put some actual effort into killing the SAM site rather than lobbing a pair of missiles at it and hoping for the best.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
Unless Badger disagrees, our plane is now named either "Diamonds Aren't Forever" or "Diamond is Breakable".

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
I'd want to send four Gripens loaded with SDBs on the DEAD strike, personally; that should ensure enough ordnance gets through to splatter the S-300 and the Tunguskas.

Might also be a good idea to have the Gripens ingress at minimum altitude and pop up to launch their bombs.

And to have the Tornados launch their HARMs at an angle to each other so that the enemy needs to shift bearing to fire on them. The Prowler's HARM should come in just a bit ahead of the Gripens to try and force the enemy to shut off their radar during the period where they could hit the Gripens before weapon release.

Edit: Yeah, something like the post above this one.

Edit2: We should name whatever plan wins "Operation Bulgaroktonos".

The Sandman fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 27, 2017

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
Operation Emerald. The others aren't flinging enough bombs at the SA-10 for me to feel certain we can destroy it, especially if we lose a Gripen before it can launch.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
I'd like to think I was trying to get an anti-air loadout mounted to the Tornado once that fighterball turned south.

Also, RIP Angolan Air Force.

The Sandman fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 30, 2017

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
So who's going to do the briefings now that Bacarruda is dead?

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

Night10194 posted:

I can't believe a grog game made Ace Combat and Area 88 happen in the same mission holy poo poo

:stoked:

Once the expansion pack hits, we need to see if we can add Yukikaze.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
K&P, and Psychoceramic wants to switch over to one of the new Tornadoes.

Bacarruda posted:

I'm not dead. I just broke my legs, fractured my spine, and burned off my face after my Phantom tanked a missile.

In other words, I (like the other dead(ish) goons) am at the end of the pilot queue.

Briefings will continue as long as people want them. :hist101:

There's still a minor issue here: given what retrieved you, there's a decent chance that you're now enjoying the dictator's finest POW accommodations.

Yooper posted:

The Sultan has an update for us. (Thanks to Jimmy400nav for putting this, and a few other surprises together)

Sorry, but where is this update? I can't find a link.

The Sandman fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
Sounds like a good reason for a pre-emptive strike against the Angolan Navy.