Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
The Balkans fit our aircraft better, but the votes seem to be going for the Med.

Also, this entire venture is amazing and finally pushed me to drop :10bux: on an account. (I'm in the Discord channel already, trying to make heads or tails of our aircraft and their capabilities and the likely theatres.) I'm a bit tired to come up with the roleplay-esque characters that others have but sign up Cutlass for the pilots' waitlist, preferentially for one of our ground-attack craft, please and thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017

shas posted:

alright, that's a pretty convincing argument for Balkans

i sure hope one zoltán dani doesn't end up in charge of an S-300

If he does, let's try to make sure the Dani Bakery and Air Defence Center ends up on our side.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
Remember the Serbian urchins who tagged along with the Phoenix Command group? I'm thinking we can give them a few things to do.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
Thunderdomes just...happen around us.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
I've mentioned this in Discord and I'll say it again here, something about this feels terrifying and sleazy and downright unholy that all the other PMCs do not. Like, it fits perfectly in the 'verse, it's just...:gonk:

So, well done, Orcbuster. Now if you'll excuse me I'll need to scrub off my skin until I feel clean again.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
Do we know where HACK AND CAS is going to happen? Just somewhere in Hungary, not more specific?

Our positioning pretty much means that we'll need to stay on YugoImport's good side. Maybe it'll be worth getting them happy enough to provide refueling rights once we've gotten settled in.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to sample the local rotgut and/or write up a character for the callsign.

Oh, and YES on bribery and keeping the locals happy. There will inevitably come a day when someone comes for us by land, air, or tactical ballistic missile, and it won't do to have the locals alienated from us when we need their help.

bibliosabreur fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 22, 2017

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
Hack and CAS, and CAS.

The Zeppelin job is a nice easy introduction, but the only aircraft we have that can reach that far are our Gripens, and that means Meteor expenditure. BDA seems horribly dangerous. That leaves the other two options.

I'm also going to put down the bio for a pilot to go on the waitlist. It's probably very unorthodox for a groundcrew to go on to become a pilot, but this is HG.

----

quote:

Nisha "Cutlass" Anand, 27

Formerly an aeronautic engineer at Hindustani Aeronatics Limited, Nisha liaised with the 3D-printing conglomerate to produce and test MiG-21 Bisons and MiG-27Ks (after all, HAL had produced both) and to provide maintenance and support services. Like a fair percentage of the Indian aviation community, she was thrilled and enamoured with Wing Commander Rohan's (leaked) achievements over Tibet and then freelancing in Angola, and was devastated by the news of Rohan's death.

It was a fortuitous chance, then, that the Hayard Gunnes turned out to be one of the first and most high-profile customers for her company's MiGs. Currently, she's just a member of the ground crew brought on to maintain the Indian jets with only fairly limited flying experience, but Nisha is racking up flight hours as quickly as she can on rented trainers and simulators, dreaming of the day when she, like her idol, can chase that lonely impulse of delight into the turmoil in the clouds.

(Skill level: Novice in MiG-27s and MiG-21s.)

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
Tokyo Bay Fortress can be parked safely offshore under the auspices of its own shell company.

Whatever happens, don't let News Corp learn about her, though.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
Yeah, I don't know how CMANO handles simple decoys, but it'd be a time-honored tradition here in the Balkans. Going full FUSAG and Operation Bodyguard may not be possible, but I do like the idea of enlisting some Serbian consultants to confuse the enemy...

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
In the Discord, Yooper mentioned that there's a zoo next to the warehouse that must on no account be damaged.

Now I can't see this as a mission success unless we spring the animals loose and the lions, tigers, and bears help to overrun the warehouse.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
Okay, poo poo's gonna get real. I like this.

If our only air threat is F-104s and perhaps--at the top end--some upgraded MiG-21s like what we have, I'm not particularly worried. Upgraded Bisons would be dangerous but the F-104s I've been able to find are universally terrible. The least bad of them carries Lima Sidewinders and Aspides (lovely Sparrow clones).

A bigger concern are all the radars and SPAAG/SAM coverage. Once in the threat area, I would propose a hard floor of 15000ft, with aircraft preferably to stay above 18000 ft. It is utterly embarrassing and unprofessional to lose anyone to a MANPADS when we have stand-off weapons. That should also put us out of range of any SPAAGs.

That leaves more dangerous vehicle-mounted SAMs. This would be a great chance to break out our shiny new Nighthawks--but keep in mind that Nighthawk is horribly vulnerable in daytime. I propose using ARMs on our Floggers; save the Nighthawks for a nighttime mission.

So, provisionally, I'm thinking an air and SAM sweep first to take out the more obvious targets. Then AMXs and Reapers can circle overhead and bomb targets of opportunity. If we can stage our Bisons fairly close to the mission area, all the better; I think all of them are going to go air-to-air, and while I'd love to land them and switch them to TV-guided bombs, that may be impossible.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
Yikes, you're right. I'd gotten a little too used to the super-ARMs.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
re: power crystals: I love the MEAT diaries. There's just enough poignancy and the writing is genuinely great. Keep 'em coming!

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017

Yooper posted:

10/15/2023 : Dryout
10/23/2023 :To a post dryout party
10/27/2023 :To the drunk tank
12/2/2023 : To a shotgun wedding in Vegas to... his ex-wife.
1/14/2024 : Divorce court
1/22/2024 : Alimony Court
2/12/2024 : Took a contract smuggling Tyson Canned Beef into India and is now sitting in an Indian prison with Jimmy the Juggalo.

He'll be back.

This is everything I expected and more. :allears:

Regarding the op plans, it sure looks like we'll be breaking out our 117s early, huh? I was hoping to keep them hidden for a little while longer.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
1. Operation Speakeasy
2. Operation We Didn't Start the Fire

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017

Davin Valkri posted:

Given their resumes, and my anime predilections, may I suggest...?

Hell. Yes.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
This is absolutely wonderful!

For all the things we should have DT5 do, hacking should only be a comedy option. I'm a little terrified of Aiko accidentally flashing all our own equipment's firmware. Although, Yooper, I understand Chains of War can simulate cyberattack effects, right...?

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
I had no idea the Foxhound was even an option, but I'd outed myself as a Flanker Wanker in the Discord ever since I saw the test results. For ground-attack, though? I'm going with my first love of warplanes.

:swoon:

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017

TheDemon posted:

In conclusion:
I like the Interceptor Flanker for A2A. It has everything we need and saves us a few million. We don't need more dumb bombs. The Tomcat is actually a decent option though if we can 3DP the AIM-54. Everything else gets beat up by Bisons.
For A2G, it's between the Fencer D and the Intruder, or print more Floggers. I've always been a massive fan of the Intruder but I have to acknowledge that the Soviet options are viable.

I hadn't considered the possibility of trimming off the dumb bombs for cost savings, but you make an excellent point. As fun as it is envisioning the Flankers in air-to-ground mode with dumb bombs, the cost savings are substantial enough to get behind this.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017

quote:

So after some rummaging through the mess of my dad's memorabilia, I managed to dig out a bunch of his old photos from his time on the USS Ranger around 1976-78. Will try to scan and upload because hell, everyone here seems to appreciate vintage milsperg and intruders :shobon:

Oh my god, yes. Can't wait for that vintage Intruder action. Although next time you show a lovely, loaded A-6 flashing her goods like that, give it the appropriate :nws: tag, willya? That sheer bombload... :blush:

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
Christ in heaven, the DT5 girls meeting Jack? :ohdear:

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
Gonna be at work, too. :(

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017

Yooper posted:

Overall our pilots performed swimmingly. The Nighthawks followed a secure path, neutralized the radar, and kept the hostiles from getting those MIG's in the air. Our SDB's did the rest and only a single MIG-21 reached the sky. It didn't last long, but in that short window it managed to knock three of our birds down.

Holy hell, really? Someone track down that pilot and buy him a beer or something. That's honestly pretty amazing...although I hear from the Discord that our own MiGs were well out of position, and that our ARMs kept getting shot down?

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
Zeppelin appears to be relatively easy money, just not a whole lot of it. It's a "safe" choice (keeping in mind that someone's almost certainly going to try to surprise us during it), which may be why it doesn't seem very popular.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017

TheDemon posted:

Questions: A fight over the Adriatic should have been easily tracked by our Ground Master, and also by our ELINT boat. The boat would pick up any long-range radars like from an AEW aircraft (but not short-range), and the Ground Master would definitely pick up the dogfight itself. Is this confirmation that we didn't see an AEW on ELINT? Did we pick up radio transmissions from the participants, and does that tell us who was involved? And was that the AMRAAM assailant was careful enough to dodge our Ground Master's coverage?

Seconding! Our bote ought to have some answers here.

Adding in my two cents for the bridge strike: if the Nighthawks get involved, it should be a night operation, I would think. Otherwise, we have some more leeway.

Also, is there any thought towards keeping a flight of Bisons or Gripens ready to scramble? I assume MCTB is going to have us assailed one way or another, so at least putting out an early warning net--and, if possible, getting informants out to nearby FOBs so we know who's leasing them--will be a must. (Even better if we can somehow get an aerostat or a couple of AEW helis to circle our airbase, or else put out the word that while we harbor no grudge against any PMC that comes after us, we will make sure they're utterly ruined during or after the operation, one way or the other, so they better consider their risk-reward calculus very carefully if MCTB launches them against an airfield Albania. Sorry, lads, that's just business.)

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

Those of you jonesing for some Top Gun action, the first tutorial mission has you running a strike with A-6s and Corsairs with Tomcats as your fighters and if you've watched Yooper play enough, it's actually not that hard to figure out. Some of the weird submenus I still haven't gotten but so far I've been able to launch a fighter sweep, get my AWACS up, and start sending in strikes.

My commentary style is less Yooper's laid back charm and more "gently caress gently caress gently caress WHERE ARE MY TOMCATS OH poo poo THEY WENT ACTIVE OH THEY'RE FLOGGERS WELL THEY CAN SUCK PHOENIXES" :hurr:

First run I lost half my strikers because I forgot to set the Tomcats to emit, thinking that they could launch off Hawkeye data while staying in EMCON.

Yeeeeeah not so much. :saddowns:

Second run I swept the MiGs clean and had my strikers taking off, blanketed by Prowler OECM, when I realized the Iron Hand birds were missing somehow.

Further investigation revealed that I had somehow ordered them to change to a different SEAD loadout that wouldn’t have been ready for hours. :downsgun:

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
Sounds like we'd need Yooper to make a ruling; I interpreted "close range pass" as low-altitude as well, but it'd be easier if we could keep relatively high instead of running the gauntlet of AAA.

Also, the two-missions format forces us to diversify our aircraft a little more. OECM has been quietly vital to many of our missions, but we only have the one Prowler, and because they tend to be high-value/low-numbered airframes, they're badly suited for 3D printing.

That said, if there are chances to K&P to supply us with a few of, say, Lansen EWs or maybe even a Viggen EW trainer, it would greatly multiply what we could do. Just something to keep our eyes open for...

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
Holy poo poo, I didn't catch that at first and thought he was deliberately making a pun about the Tomcats in the tutorial scenarios.

Anyway, I understand our Deagles/Akefs have arrived on the ground here? I know we haven't decided missions yet, but I'd like to point out that if we fly them in the bomb-truck role with 2000-pounders, that frees up our Tornadoes, which we can fit with 5x ALARM apiece. :black101:

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
Here's something that came up in the Discord chat regarding our shiny new F-15 Akefs:

While they can fly air-to-air in all weathers and conditions, their air-to-ground loadouts are limited to daytime and fair weather. The GBU-15 is a very powerful weapon with an excellent glide range, but it needs to be dropped from high altitude, it can't see in the dark, and the 1985 Akef has no FLIR and no provision for one.
Also, given that the Sparrow is quite a step down from what we're used to, may I recommend double-checking the WRA on them so that the Eagles default to firing two missiles per target?

One more thing. It sure seems like the MiG-21 Bison is rapidly proliferating to become the AK-47 of aerial PMCs. Unfortunately for us, it can joust with the Eagle and win much of the time in a fair fight, given the fire-and-forget Amraamskis. We shall have to adjust our tactics accordingly. The Bison's main weakness is an old and rather weak radar set, so blanketing their radars with OECM seems like one possible countermeasure; this means we'll need more than just our Prowler (keeping in mind that the R-77s do have a home-on-jam mode). Another is to play chicken at the very edge of their range. If we can somehow bait the Bisons into firing first at long range, then turning and running until the missiles run out of fuel, we should be in a good position; Sparrows have 55nm against the Amraamski's 40nm, and the Bison only carries two of them. Ideally, if the Bison looses both Amraamskis at extreme range--which our Akef outruns--the fight becomes Sparrows against Archers, and that's a fight we can win. (Or the Bison turns around and goes home, in which case it's a mission kill.)

E: Of course, all of this is less preferable to making sure our Eagles don't get into fights with enemy Bisons in the first place, but that seems very optimistic given our history of missions in this theatre.

bibliosabreur fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 29, 2017

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
We keep Gjader as our home base, correct? I'm really liking our Albanian supervillain lair, guarded by savvy locals and mountains.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017

sparkmaster posted:

3) The bombs we dropped on the runway and runway access didn't seem to do too much. The bombs dropped on the tarmac and hangar seemed to do a lot more damage. We might want to concentrate our precision ordinance on the aircraft on the ground, and leave the runway to either a stick of dumb bombs or anti-runway weapons.

This. I just watched the mission last night.

Overall it went very well, but I was nervous at the sprinkling of bombs that Pliven received, and very nervous indeed when enemy aircraft began taking off. Fortunately our Bisons got in position pretty quickly, but there were some very nervous moments when our Tornadoes were transiting out and our Bisons were arrowing in, with enemy aircraft scrambling into the sky. If they had better C3, or if those aircraft had better nighttime sensors, we could've easily lost the Tornadoes.

Thus far, HG's calling card has been "gently caress yo airfield". Thus far, we honestly haven't been all that good at it. Failure to do more damage to the Supersonics' airfield near Timisoara cost us three birds to a lone Bison; failure to knock out Pliven meant that half their aircraft got off the ground successfully, and while good GCI meant our Bisons were able to vector onto them, that's still not good enough to count the airfield strike as a full success.

tl/dr: this time we were extremely goddamned lucky we didn't lose anyone to enemy aircraft coming out of that airfield that we failed to disable fully; last time we weren't so lucky and lost three birds to enemy aircraft coming out of that airfield that we failed to disable fully, and I'm thinking we need to give airfield denial missions a good hard look.

The two most immediate fixes are: assigning a lot more munitions to aircraft parking spots, and maintaining a Leaker-CAP nearby: when enemy aircraft take off, they immediately eat an AAM, no questions asked. (Because there will be leakers.) 500lb Paveways are adequate for smashing parking spots but wholly inadequate for wrecking access points and runways. Advice on the Matrix Forums I remember reading point out that runways and access points generally require so many munitions it's not worth focusing on them if your bombload is limited; instead, focus on blowing up parked aircraft. With 2000-lb GBU-15s, we should be able to do that a lot better now in daytime. At night, the Akefs may need to be assigned to LeakerCAP; further testing by Anta has shown that they're horribly vulnerable to Bisons.

bibliosabreur fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 2, 2017

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017

TheDemon posted:

The mission plan called for bombs on the tarmac and hangar only. In the mission run, after the two F-117s had started their run, Yooper manually ordered a strike on the airfield as a whole, seemingly in concern that one of the Nighthawks had gotten distracted (it hadn't). That caused the runway and runway access to be hit instead of the pre-planned targets which were only hangars and tarmacs. So the idea that we aren't trying to concentrate our ordinance isn't so; we were, it just didn't work out.

Part of the issue was also that the timing of strikes made an attack with glide bombs a little too slow. What you may not have realized is those F-117s were often detected for about the last 5nm of their run - this is something that could not be avoided in testing. When the enemy scrambles in response to the radar contacts or the ALARMs hitting, some of the planes leave the tarmac, and those planes are essentially invincible until airborne. These 3dp mercs had a good reaction time. The ones in the Timisoara mission had a poor reaction time allowing the SDBs to hit. But if the Timisoara mercs had as good a reaction time, the SDBs would have hit empty hangars.

I believe this may be solveable by using missiles or other rocket-propelled munitions, but that is far riskier to the attacking planes unless we break out the Storm Shadows.

Hmmmm. Good to know. Are we sure that aircraft that leave the tarmac are invincible though? Because I understand they spend a span of seconds on each spot, and it might be worth bombing the runway access point...but it sounds like the limitation is not quite enough ordnance for a multiplicity of targets.

If we're not guaranteed to nail them on the ground, the alternative is to beef up the CAP over the airfield and splashing the bandits as they leave the ground. Bisons and Akefs orbiting practically within missile range with a prosecution area blanketing the airfield specifically and orders to engage any aircraft that leaves the ground?

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
Can we hold off on unleashing DT5 until we learn more about the missions? Would rather have them on hand when there's, for instance, a radar we really need to blow up, or an airfield we need sabotaged.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
This sure appears to be a two-fer, so Gunnes should pay attention to that fact. :siren::siren:Assets used in one mission will probably be unable to support the other mission.:siren::siren:

Naval recovery is certainly the one to go. Payoff is high enough to justify use of Meteors, we'll be able to enlist the Watergeuzen, and also? :yarr:

I'm kind of agnostic on what to do for Schmohz--I'd have preferred the Rube Goldberg ball bearing mission myself--but my girlfriend's been quite insistent that we need to do a comms strike. As she's been having internet troubles, maybe she's just feeling vengeful. I just hope we have the assets for both.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
So, glad to report that some swag I ordered arrived today.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
Doesn't look bad at all for a first mission plan, Farnsworth. :) There are a few issues that were identified in the Discord channel:
  • We need at least six Gripens up with full Meteors. With two airbases scrambling the very dangerous Bisons and rather less dangerous MiG-29 1984s, we're looking at serious enemy air cover, so we'd best be in Not loving Around mode where CAP is involved. That means a near-full lineup of Gripens (minus what's needed to provide radar cover on the Schmohz mission), plus our shiny new F-15 Deagle/Akefs in maximum Sparrow mode.
  • We stay out of the SA-17 Circle of Death, except maybe nipping through the very edges. That's enough SAMs that we simply don't have the assets to blow through them. While they probably will not be able to engage ordnance that zips through the edge of their engagement envelope, aircraft are a different matter. If any aircraft are within the Circle of Death and they get SAM targeted, they GTFO, no questions asked, and hopefully get out of range before the missile finds them.
  • Watergeuzen essentially recreating the Medway raid are going to be a crucial part of any plan; on that we're agreed.
  • The biggest probable naval threat is that Skjold. As I understand the briefing, it may or may not show up--but if it does, it immediately becomes a very important target. NSMs are some very tricky missiles to kill, even with three Doormans' overlapping Sea Sparrow coverage. Our S100B, Atlantique, and one Reaper will all be searching for it.
  • There is the strong possibility of Cold War SAMs near Constanta, meaning that we'll probably have to enforce altitude floors again, and keep a stock of ALARMs and other missiles on hand to deal with any of them.

Since we can't blind our enemy's radars (a whole loving battalion of SA-17s and their Chair Back radars), nor can we effectively bomb their airbases, we're in for what we've been trying to avoid--a straight slugging match. Mass and long-range missilery will be paramount here.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
If the idea of a Skjold hunt is out, I support these ideas, with airfield recon taking higher priority (unless it turns out there's a battery of dug-in mortars or something). We're all more or less agreed that the enemy air threat is the main factor, so we need information as soon as we can.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017

PenguinSalsa posted:

Would a layered CAP (or rather intercept mission I guess) work? Bisons in front, F-15s ten or so nms behind them and Gripens as CAP to pick off anything that gets through.
I'm working on a mission plan now and the best idea that I have is to basically use the Bisons as bait and then intercept the enemy with the Akefs supported by the Prowler when they engage the Bisons.

Testing by Anta showed that our Akefs, even with Prowler support, will generally lose to Bisons head-to-head. ARH missiles are just far too much of an advantage compared to SARH.

There's been talk in the Discord of the Bisons being treated--by us and by Yooper--as mid/high-end threats; even though they're MiG-21s, their two Amraamski missiles make them extraordinarily dangerous. In practical terms, if this change goes ahead, it would mean that everyone and their mother would no longer be running around with them.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017

Davin Valkri posted:

loving magic

:captainpop:

Okay, holy poo poo. I'm...going to need to come back to this and critically evaluate it because as of right now I would vote for this just on the basis of writing a goddamned OPlan to the tune of the Major General's Song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017

Loel posted:

Catlike Tread for all the obvious reasons :v:

Go, ye heroes, go to glory,
Though you die in combat gory,
Ye shall live in song and story.
Go to immortality!
Go to death, and go to slaughter;
Die, and every Cornish daughter
With her tears your grave shall water.
Go, ye heroes, go and die! Go, ye heroes, go and die!

Go and do your best endeavour,
And before all links we sever,
We will say farewell for ever.
Go to glory and the grave!
Go to glory and the grave!
For your foes are fierce and ruthless,
False, unmerciful, and truthless;
Young and tender, old and toothless,
All in vain their mercy crave.

go to glory
Go to death and
go to slaughter
Die and every
Cornish daughter
With her tears
your grave shall water
Go ye heroes, go and die!
go to immortality!
go to immortality!
Tho' ye die in combat gory
Ye shall live in
Go to immortality!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAc5Z89SjH8

That occurred to me too, but in Discord it was pointed out that, well, did we look like policemen? :v: